Author Topic: Ultra Precision Reference LTZ1000  (Read 1345584 times)

Online antintedo

• Contributor
Re: Ultra Precision Reference LTZ1000
« Reply #2750 on: September 28, 2019, 05:18:07 pm »
Speaking of 3458A mods, maybe consider not using those Molex connectors and solder wires instead? Apparently they can cause issues: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/metrology/ultra-precision-reference-ltz1000/msg1377590/#msg1377590

Offline mimmus78

• Supporter
« Reply #2751 on: September 28, 2019, 08:17:03 pm »
Once I tested what was effect of moving/removing the A9 board from 3458A and I didn't measured any shift. But this is just my unit and it doesn't prove or disprove anything ... maybe one day I'll test also effect of removing the current compensation resistor.

Anyway I'm not going to solder the board on 3458a ... this seems too much violence to such an instrument.

The following users thanked this post: AG7CK

Online dietert1

• Super Contributor
    • CADT Homepage
« Reply #2752 on: September 29, 2019, 08:38:41 am »
On August 23, i showed a possible solution in the LTFLU thread:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/metrology/the-ltflu-(aka-sza263)-reference-zener-diode-circuit/375/

That is a IP66 (waterproof) case and it takes my LTFLU reference board including a sensirion humidity sensor and a 5 g desiccant bag. The image also shows how to make a thermal clamp for the interface cable, in order to create a thermal "nirwana" inside the case.

Regards, Dieter

Offline alex-sh

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2753 on: September 29, 2019, 04:47:30 pm »
I need to send my LTZ1000 (non-A version) board to somebody to fine tune it. Can anyone help please? I am fine sending it worldwide, but the UK would be the perfect destination. I do not have equipment to set it up properly.
What's the best way to post LTZ1000? Running in the temperature chamber or …?

Offline Dr. Frank

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2754 on: September 29, 2019, 08:21:11 pm »
Would you mind telling or showing more details, like PCB,mechanical and thermal design, choice of resistors?
If prerequisites are ok, I offer to do the T.C. trimming, and determination of output voltage(s)

Frank

The following users thanked this post: TiN, AG7CK, alex-sh

Offline mimmus78

• Supporter
« Reply #2755 on: September 30, 2019, 09:50:44 am »
On August 23, i showed a possible solution in the LTFLU thread:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/metrology/the-ltflu-(aka-sza263)-reference-zener-diode-circuit/375/

That is a IP66 (waterproof) case and it takes my LTFLU reference board including a sensirion humidity sensor and a 5 g desiccant bag. The image also shows how to make a thermal clamp for the interface cable, in order to create a thermal "nirwana" inside the case.

Regards, Dieter

Well consider I have stacked design mainly for this reason ... everything is heat producer is on the top board, and this is connected to bottom board by solid copper wires. The molex connectors are on the bottom PCB where no relevant heat is produced.

The following users thanked this post: AG7CK

Online dietert1

• Super Contributor
    • CADT Homepage
« Reply #2756 on: September 30, 2019, 04:15:21 pm »
Yes, i guess you want to run the LTZ1000 using its heater.
Anyway, now that i learned how to compensate reference amplfier residual TC using a temperature measurement circuit (like https://www.eevblog.com/forum/metrology/the-ltflu-(aka-sza263)-reference-zener-diode-circuit/msg2578746/#msg2578746), i am wondering how the LTZ1000 would perform at room temperature, i mean in a TEC "oven".

Regards, Dieter

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2757 on: September 30, 2019, 04:35:19 pm »

My understanding is that it is very difficult to balance an LTZ1000 for zero TC at room temperature.

Of course, that makes it an interesting intellectual challenge!

Online dietert1

• Super Contributor
    • CADT Homepage
« Reply #2758 on: September 30, 2019, 06:05:57 pm »
Did you ask a question?
Have a look at the schematic! The same extraction/measurement of chip temperature works for the LTZ1000. It's even better since you have an independent transistor as temperature sensor. Once you have the temperature signal, you can use it to raise or lower the temperature coefficient as you like. This works much better than the usual 400 KOhm resistor, because that signal isn't temperature but heater power.

Regards, Dieter

Online Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2759 on: September 30, 2019, 06:37:59 pm »
For compensation of the residual TC, the chip internal transistor is not useful. The internal regulation keeps it at essentially constant temperature.
The residual TC is not so much because of the internal temperature regulation not working well. It is more because of effects on the resistors, thermal EMF and an effect of the heater power in the reference part.

It would need something like an external temperature sensor, or as used in the standard circuit use the heater voltage as an approximation.
An external temperature sensor (e.g. diode or PT1000) may be better than the 400K (R9) resistor from the data-sheet, that uses the heater as an approximation for the external temperature. AT least what I sow here in this thread looks more like a linear TC than a direct correlation with heater current (more like square root of heater power).

Online dietert1

• Super Contributor
    • CADT Homepage
« Reply #2760 on: September 30, 2019, 07:37:56 pm »
Sorry, this time you missed it completely. This is about the residual TC without using the on chip heater, but using a TEC "oven" at room temperature instead. And don't tell me that an external temperature sensor will work better than an on chip sensor.

Regards, Dieter

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2761 on: September 30, 2019, 07:51:39 pm »
Did you ask a question?
Have a look at the schematic! The same extraction/measurement of chip temperature works for the LTZ1000. It's even better since you have an independent transistor as temperature sensor. Once you have the temperature signal, you can use it to raise or lower the temperature coefficient as you like. This works much better than the usual 400 KOhm resistor, because that signal isn't temperature but heater power.

Regards, Dieter

Consider how the LFTLU is made relatively temperature insensitive by a combination of choice of zener current and use of the built in transistor as a compensation device.  That scheme is hard to replicate on the LTZ1000, it seems to me, because its pass transistor isn't connected the same way as LTFLU.

I do like the idea of keeping the LTZ1000 in a controlled temperature environment, using its own heater transistor to measure the temperature.  Just the fact of keeping all the other components and the board itself at a stable temperature has to be an overall win.

Online Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2762 on: September 30, 2019, 08:25:21 pm »
The TC to start with at the LTZ1000 is rather high. So it is quite difficult to reduce the TC without using a critical high stability resistor.
There could be chance that this may work at a reduced current (e.g. 0.5 mA). Less current should reduce the TC and the fine tune could than be possible with the transistor current. However this comes at the price of higher noise and I don't know how aging changes at lower current.

Even if still using the internal heater, a reduce TC to start with would reduce the importance of the set point resistors.
Ideally there would be a LTZ1000B with lower TC to start with, e.g. from a reduced voltage zener (e.g. 6.7 V total reference).

Offline alex-sh

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2763 on: October 01, 2019, 01:17:33 am »
Would you mind telling or showing more details, like PCB,mechanical and thermal design, choice of resistors?
If prerequisites are ok, I offer to do the T.C. trimming, and determination of output voltage(s)

Frank

This is the board I have - your design :)  The resistors are Vishay. The two critical resistors are hermetically sealed.
Here is another link - https://www.eevblog.com/forum/metrology/ultra-precision-reference-ltz1000/msg2514555/#msg2514555
Very much appreciate your assistance.

Offline Dr. Frank

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2764 on: October 01, 2019, 08:15:09 am »

Frank

This is the board I have - your design :)  The resistors are Vishay. The two critical resistors are hermetically sealed.

Well, fine,  :-+, so I'm familiar with that board, at least.
So what is the T.C. of these resistors, the Vishay and the other ones?
Did you determine these T.C.s?

How is the PCB assembled, or is this the current state?

It's not feasible to trim this naked PCB, as the mechanical/thermal assembly also influences the T.C.
Also be aware, that the trimmed 10V output has to be re-trimmed, because T.C. trimming by this nominal 200k resistor changes the LTZ1000 output voltage.

My offer persists, if you would have made a proper assembly.
Frank

The following users thanked this post: TiN, alex-sh

Offline alex-sh

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2765 on: October 01, 2019, 09:05:18 am »

Frank

Well, fine,  :-+, so I'm familiar with that board, at least.
So what is the T.C. of these resistors, the Vishay and the other ones?
Did you determine these T.C.s?

How is the PCB assembled, or is this the current state?

It's not feasible to trim this naked PCB, as the mechanical/thermal assembly also influences the T.C.
Also be aware, that the trimmed 10V output has to be re-trimmed, because T.C. trimming by this nominal 200k resistor changes the LTZ1000 output voltage.

My offer persists, if you would have made a proper assembly.
Frank

Non-critical resistors are 0.01% 5ppm 0.5W Vishay SFERNICE Foil resistors T.C +/-5ppm/C
Critical resistors are 0.01% 0.3W RADIAL Vishay Metal Foil seal resistors (VH102K and VHD200 used as a single resistor) - I think these have T.C. +/- 1ppm/C and 2ppm/C respectively.

The board was assembled by hand. Resistors and LTZ1000 was soldered with an extra care trying not to overheat these components.
I left long legs for LTZ1000 - not sure if it was the right decision. It's been a long debate here about the legs length and TCR.

Currently, the board is in the Hammond enclosure (LTZ1000 has been isolated for air drafts) running 1500h+
No, I did not determined the T.C.

Thank you once again.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 09:07:01 am by alex-sh »

The following users thanked this post: TiN

Offline Dr. Frank

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2766 on: October 01, 2019, 11:01:55 am »

Non-critical resistors are 0.01% 5ppm 0.5W Vishay SFERNICE Foil resistors T.C +/-5ppm/C
Critical resistors are 0.01% 0.3W RADIAL Vishay Metal Foil seal resistors (VH102K and VHD200 used as a single resistor) - I think these have T.C. +/- 1ppm/C and 2ppm/C respectively.

The board was assembled by hand. Resistors and LTZ1000 was soldered with an extra care trying not to overheat these components.
I left long legs for LTZ1000 - not sure if it was the right decision. It's been a long debate here about the legs length and TCR.

Currently, the board is in the Hammond enclosure (LTZ1000 has been isolated for air drafts) running 1500h+

Thank you once again.

Well,  I also left the legs long... successful.

Everything sounds good, maybe you have a picture of the completed device, including power supply.

Anyhow, if nobody else in your country (UK?) gives an offer, you may send it to me.. just send me a PM to clarify details.

Frank

The following users thanked this post: TiN, msliva, alex-sh

Offline MiDi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2767 on: October 01, 2019, 12:33:11 pm »

The most critical resistors are the boost resistors for 7->10V.
Their tracking TCR and drift are only attenuated ~3x, whereas all other are >=100x.
The Datasheet seems to be wrong for the relevance of the impact of resistor changes.

Put your money wisely  ;)

The following users thanked this post: notfaded1

Offline alex-sh

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2768 on: October 01, 2019, 04:00:23 pm »

Thank you once again.

Well,  I also left the legs long... successful.

Everything sounds good, maybe you have a picture of the completed device, including power supply.

Anyhow, if nobody else in your country (UK?) gives an offer, you may send it to me.. just send me a PM to clarify details.

Frank

Thank you
PM sent

Offline alex-sh

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2769 on: October 03, 2019, 03:12:46 am »
Does anyone have a spare LTZ1000 PCB? I would favour a board based on a design by Dr Frank and branadic?
Please send me a PM

Offline notfaded1

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2770 on: October 04, 2019, 03:01:55 pm »
I'd also like advice on source for a PCB either from member here or from online board house that has a design.  I, sadly don't have 4 LTZ1000 but only two older 2001 and 2004 LTZ1000ACH.  Is there anyone that has some PCB's ready that I could purchase?  This seems to be the best route to a nice precision reference vs just buying one (and it's good learning experience for this computer scientist).  You guys have put so much effort into this and hats off  :clap: I want in please?  Wow TIN that PCB looks sweet!  I hope you'll post some stats and graphs from it.  After going through hand selecting that many resistors to make your quad... perhaps you've got enough decent resistors left over for a single board set you could part with?

Best Regards,

Bill
.ılılı..ılılı.
notfaded1

Offline RandallMcRee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2771 on: October 04, 2019, 03:35:43 pm »
Your wish is our command:
https://github.com/pepaslabs/px-ref

Notice that there is a link in the readme to OSH boards, under Purchase. I have built six and they work well.

BTW your older LTZ1000A are fine, like fine wine, it seems.

addendum: The PX board is the work of Mr. Pepas; as you can see from the github url and the readme therein. I just thought I should publicly acknowledge that this is all his (and others!) great work and we are grateful for it!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 03:44:37 pm by RandallMcRee »

The following users thanked this post: notfaded1

Online iMo

• Super Contributor
  • It's important to try new things..
« Reply #2772 on: October 04, 2019, 06:23:15 pm »
There is Dr. Frank's recreation as well
https://github.com/pepaslabs/dr-frank-ltz1000

The following users thanked this post: RandallMcRee, notfaded1

Offline Andreas

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2773 on: October 06, 2019, 06:30:34 am »
Mhm,

do you think that the capacity does not change within 37 days with room temperature?
If you pull the plates of a capacitor apart (e.g. rising temperature) the voltage will increase.

with best regards

Andreas

The following users thanked this post: 3roomlab

Offline Magnificent Bastard

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2774 on: October 07, 2019, 04:41:05 pm »
being distracted by the thread https://www.eevblog.com/forum/metrology/forum-crowd-project-simple-10v-ltz1000-plugnplay-box-(with-1k10k-hermetic)/
i took a peek at the ordering site, and noticed the ROHS and temp range confusion

i just have to ask everyone here

when you bought your LTZ1000 CH/ACH
did you know it was a
1) 0~70C unit? (ROHS complaint)
2) or a -55~+125C unit ? (non ROHS complaint)

digikey/mouser list their as -55~+125C and it is ROHS complaint. there is apparently no such unit on ADI website.

This is a "moot" point.  Since this is an internally heated device, there is an upper and lower bound on the ambient temperature anyway for proper operation.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf