Poll

So, what you (UK) guys think? Exit or not to exit?

YES, please get me out of there (I'm UK) [go]
41 (19.5%)
Hell no, we are one big (happy) family! (I'm UK) [stay]
42 (20%)
OMG, let them Go! [go]
63 (30%)
I love the UK, they are family! [stay]
64 (30.5%)

Total Members Voted: 207

Voting closed: July 10, 2016, 10:29:34 am

Author Topic: UK forum members, BREXIT?  (Read 516153 times)

Offline doobedoobedo

• Regular Contributor
Re: UK forum members, BREXIT?
« Reply #925 on: June 25, 2016, 03:06:21 pm »
Britain needs two more voting rounds:

1. Shall we have a vote for another vote in which we vote for "Remain" or "Leave".
2. Shall we "Remain" or "Leave", this time I really mean it after I Googled for "What is EU", "What it means to leave the EU" and the "£350m for the NHS" is not going to happen.

We voted.
It's DONE.

It's OK most of the stuff now is just sour grapes, people stuck in the EU supporting it's over-ridingly anti-democratic position, by not accepting our democracy.

Offline FrankD

• Contributor
« Reply #926 on: June 25, 2016, 03:13:59 pm »
I don't understand the concept of a simple majority being considered sufficient to decide on a national action of this gravity. Especially if it is barely any majority and more of a draw between the stay and leave camp. Would've expected something like a required 2/3 winning margin on this   |O

You're absolutely right. It should have been set so that a 66% majority were required to stay.

I believe that's perfectly fair and democratic by your reasoning.
In some parts of the UK the vote was well over 70% in favour of leaving, if Scotland and Northern Ireland are left out the Vote is well over 66%. The answer is to leave Ireland to the Irish and start buying bricks again. (to rebuild Hadrian's wall) :-DD

No need for buying bricks. That wall is in good condition in comparison to your other infrastructure.  :-DD

Offline continuo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #927 on: June 25, 2016, 03:17:21 pm »
I don't understand the concept of a simple majority being considered sufficient to decide on a national action of this gravity. Especially if it is barely any majority and more of a draw between the stay and leave camp. Would've expected something like a required 2/3 winning margin on this   |O

IT's called Democracy !!.  :palm:

There's a thin border between Democracy and Idiocracy. You may want to read up on qualified majorities, which are often a requirement on decisions of huge impact, especially to prevent the latter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermajority

Offline retrolefty

• Super Contributor
  • measurement changes behavior
« Reply #928 on: June 25, 2016, 03:26:36 pm »

It's a form of 'direct democracy' and it has a big flaw, often called the tyranny of the majority. My experience with it here in California is that any special interest group(s) just need to raise enough money to qualify some referendum onto the State Ballot and wham, some very silly or very expensive or something with too much unintended consequences gets passed onto a generally uninterested voting (and non-voting) population. I believe in representative democracy, and mostly fear direct democracy.

Offline 3db

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #929 on: June 25, 2016, 03:27:46 pm »

There's a thin border between Democracy and Idiocracy. You may want to read up on qualified majorities, which are often a requirement on decisions of huge impact, especially to prevent the latter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermajority

And you might want to look up the meaning of the word Democracy.
The simple fact is that most people aren't that smart.
When people vote they tend to do it  based on some criteria that they perceive as best for them.
They rarely consider what's best for everyone.
IN fact people do things based on emotion NOT logic or reason.
Look at advertising and politics as good examples of this.
SO the simple answer is one vote for each individual.
ie Demos THE PEOPLE !!

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
« Reply #930 on: June 25, 2016, 03:28:20 pm »

Offline vodka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #931 on: June 25, 2016, 03:29:16 pm »
As the  youngters dedide to celebrate a Referendum about the active euthanasia for  older people  greater than 50 years ago , the scottish won't need bricks   :-DD  :-DD  :-DD  :-DD

Offline continuo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #932 on: June 25, 2016, 03:32:07 pm »
LOL, sweet:  http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/nigel-farage-wants-second-referendum-7985017

Farage told the Mirror: “In a 52-48 referendum this would be unfinished business by a long way. If the remain campaign win two-thirds to one-third that ends it.”

Sorry, couldn't resist  ;D

Offline 3db

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #933 on: June 25, 2016, 03:32:47 pm »

It's a form of 'direct democracy' and it has a big flaw, often called the tyranny of the majority. My experience with it here in California is that any special interest group(s) just need to raise enough money to qualify some referendum onto the State Ballot and wham, some very silly or very expensive or something with too much unintended consequences gets passed onto a generally uninterested voting (and non-voting) population. I believe in representative democracy, and mostly fear direct democracy.

I guess the flaw there is that most people don't bother to use their vote.
How high is the turn out for these issues ?

Offline MT

• Super Contributor
« Reply #934 on: June 25, 2016, 03:34:16 pm »
And now something entirely different!: :)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 03:40:09 pm by MT »

Offline 3db

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #935 on: June 25, 2016, 03:35:01 pm »

Did you know Joe Strummer's dad was a UK diplomat.  ;D

Offline vodka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #936 on: June 25, 2016, 03:40:51 pm »
And now something entirely different!: :)

When he governs ,he will swallow a few toads

Offline retrolefty

• Super Contributor
  • measurement changes behavior
« Reply #937 on: June 25, 2016, 03:46:03 pm »

I guess the flaw there is that most people don't bother to use their vote.
How high is the turn out for these issues ?

That's part of the problem, if it's a non-presidential election cycle then the total turnout can be almost criminally low and so just a small actual number of votes can mean it passes. It all too easy for 'the people as a mass' to very well become the tyranny that democracy tries to escape from. Any individual voter almost always votes first for their own self-interest rather then in the best self-interest of one's country.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #938 on: June 25, 2016, 03:53:45 pm »
As the  youngters dedide to celebrate a Referendum about the active euthanasia for  older people  greater than 50 years ago , the scottish won't need bricks   :-DD  :-DD  :-DD  :-DD

Without wishing to get into a statistics battle, had the 18-34 demographic turnout been the same as the 35+ demographic, it would have been a different story (assuming voting intentions were the same), but they couldn't be arsed.

There were some individuals -seriously- suggesting that older people shouldn't have had a vote, and aside from reminding them that we've moved on from votes for women and apartheid, maybe if they encouraged their peers gave a sh!t, they might have achieved the goal they were after.

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
« Reply #939 on: June 25, 2016, 04:02:48 pm »

Without wishing to get into a statistics battle, had the 18-34 demographic turnout been the same as the 35+ demographic, it would have been a different story (assuming voting intentions were the same), but they couldn't be arsed.

There were some individuals -seriously- suggesting that older people shouldn't have had a vote, and aside from reminding them that we've moved on from votes for women and apartheid, maybe if they encouraged their peers gave a sh!t, they might have achieved the goal they were after.

Whilst we don't get wiser with age, we do become better informed.

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #940 on: June 25, 2016, 04:07:56 pm »

The answer is to leave Ireland to the Irish and start buying bricks again. (to rebuild Hadrian's wall) :-DD

You can keep Northern Ireland, it would add an extra 10% to our income tax rates to keep them in the luxury they are accustomed to.

Offline Delta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #941 on: June 25, 2016, 04:09:53 pm »
If you're not a lefty when you're 20, then you don't have a heart.

If you're still a lefty when you're 50, then you don't have a brain.
----Someone

Offline MT

• Super Contributor
« Reply #942 on: June 25, 2016, 04:13:29 pm »
Yesterday when Donald  held a speech at his elite golf resort  he was surrounded by nazi golf balls and Mexican flags..
This is outrageous behavior, shame on them, scots should respect Donald, he creates low vage job to poor scots, basically making them great again!

Offline rolycat

• Super Contributor
« Reply #943 on: June 25, 2016, 04:18:14 pm »

Hey, young people made their intentions perfectly clear on social media.
Maybe they were just baffled by those funny wooden sticks tied to bits of string in the polling booths  :-//

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #944 on: June 25, 2016, 04:29:42 pm »

Hey, young people made their intentions perfectly clear on social media.
Maybe they were just baffled by those funny wooden sticks tied to bits of string in the polling booths  :-//

You may laugh, this is for real on the BBC News Website

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36584905

Offline vodka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #945 on: June 25, 2016, 04:30:33 pm »
If you're not a lefty when you're 20, then you don't have a heart.

If you're still a lefty when you're 50, then you don't have a brain

The leftists problem always trying  to fight versus fascists when they are  the more fascistest that you can find. You try to explain some stuff that they don't like and thier first answer is a insult.

Offline apis

• Super Contributor
  • Hobbyist
« Reply #946 on: June 25, 2016, 04:34:28 pm »
Here the left extremists wants to leave EU

Offline MT

• Super Contributor
« Reply #947 on: June 25, 2016, 04:37:41 pm »
And right want to remain, thats one of the reasons why the right renamed them selfs to "New Workers party" and people fell for it and voted them in! :-DD  Sweden when it as its dumbest! Frankly this is what their political friends US republicans need to do!  ^-^

« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 04:43:52 pm by MT »

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #948 on: June 25, 2016, 04:38:11 pm »
Yes that's the problem with lack of integration. EU should focus on equalising living standards in all countries and well being of all member people.

Which seems a lot like mandating equal outcome with equal effort.  Everybody has the same standard of living whether they work or not.  It's not a sustainable process.   Eventually, the people doing the paying get tired of it.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #949 on: June 25, 2016, 04:41:32 pm »
Here the left extremists wants to leave EU

That is the same here, although whether I'd call them extreme or not is open to debate, Ken Livingston, ex Mayor of London, certainly wants out. Current Labour leader and the shadow chancellor, both on the left of the party, presented a facade of luke warm support for Remain, but six months ago were both anti-EU. Many believe** that their lack of engagement was a key reason for the Leave result.

Edit: ** well that, and a whole other bunch of reasons, like uneducated proles, old people, gullible ignorant tw**s (that one appeared on my FB feed, nice), "those people" (and other such prejudgmental monikers), the list is longer, but you get the message. What you don't hear much about is that there were two crap campaigns, just one was more crap than the other. A lot of people seem to have suddenly misunderstood how a referendum and a democracy works.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 04:49:05 pm by Howardlong »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf