Author Topic: Snake oil  (Read 788431 times)

Offline Godzil

• Frequent Contributor
    • My own blog
Re: Snake oil
« Reply #525 on: October 29, 2015, 10:20:12 am »
Let me guess...the black powder is pepper and the white is salt. Seasons your audio perfectly.

:D

Not directly electronic (even if there are in the fake woody stuff):

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/676993694/solu-a-new-breed-of-computing

Sounds like a fishy stuff and lots of snake oil...
(The best part is the "OS made from scratch". Don't know why, but I can't think it's true)
When you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective.
-- Yokoi Gunpei

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #526 on: October 29, 2015, 10:28:26 am »
Let me guess...the black powder is pepper and the white is salt. Seasons your audio perfectly.
Nope, it's finely ground bullshit, with a dash of scamdinavium.
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Offline Mechanical Menace

• Super Contributor
« Reply #527 on: October 29, 2015, 05:12:05 pm »
(The best part is the "OS made from scratch". Don't know why, but I can't think it's true)

Probably because they don't show it off at all. I'm sure more than a few of us on here have made hobby OSs and have bored people senseless showing off that we've got VESA text mode supported and a rudimentary CLI with like a whole 5 commands!!!1! Oh and they claim support for Android apps so my gut feeling is they've taken a bare bones AOSP build and written their own GUI at most. Probably just made a custom launcher...

Their choice of hardware also makes it pretty certain that even if they did write the rest of the OS themselves they're using the Linux kernel* as I doubt Nvidia would release drivers for a closed source no name OS/kernel. To the best of my knowledge they don't even support BSD kernels for Tegra devices, only Linux and Windows.

*Whether you can claim to have written an OS from scratch when using someone else's kernel is debateable
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 05:20:56 pm by Mechanical Menace »
Second sexiest ugly bloke on the forum.
"Don't believe every quote you read on the internet, because I totally didn't say that."
~Albert Einstein

Offline Godzil

• Frequent Contributor
    • My own blog
« Reply #528 on: October 29, 2015, 05:18:32 pm »

Probably because they don't show it off at all. I'm sure more than a few of us on here have made hobby OSs and have bored people senseless showing off that we've got VESA text mode supported and a rudimentary CLI with like a whole 5 commands!!!1! Oh and they claim support for Android apps so my gut feeling is they've taken a bare bones AOSP build and written their own GUI at most. Probably just made a custom launcher...

Their choice of hardware makes also makes it pretty certain that even if they did write the rest of the OS themselves they're using the Linux kernel* as I doubt Nvidia would release drivers for a closed source no name OS/kernel. To the best of my knowledge they don't even support BSD kernels for Tegra devices, only Linux and Windows.

*Whether you can claim to have written an OS from scratch when using someone else's kernel is debateable

There is a BIG difference between a hobby OS, something like FreeRTOS (or even less powerfull), and something like what they show that clearly use OpenGL and all of that Jazzy stuffs.

What they are calling "OS" is clearly for me just a Graphical Interface that run on top of something like, maybe Qt? or plain X11.

Anyway, I don't buy their arguments, and starting their video by "We knows that some people will say that what we are doing is just crap" is a bit arrogant.
When you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective.
-- Yokoi Gunpei

• Super Contributor
« Reply #529 on: October 29, 2015, 05:27:17 pm »
...snip...

my gut feeling is they've taken a bare bones AOSP build and written their own GUI at most. Probably just made a custom launcher...

Their choice of hardware makes also makes it pretty certain that even if they did write the rest of the OS themselves they're using the Linux kernel* as I doubt Nvidia would release drivers for a closed source no name OS/kernel.

...snip...

What they are calling "OS" is clearly for me just a Graphical Interface that run on top of something like, maybe Qt? or plain X11.

I think we both agree, if not on the finer details lol ;) I'd say they are using SurfaceSlinger.
"Don't believe every quote you read on the internet, because I totally didn't say that."
~Albert Einstein

Offline Godzil

• Frequent Contributor
    • My own blog
« Reply #530 on: October 29, 2015, 05:28:21 pm »
...snip...

my gut feeling is they've taken a bare bones AOSP build and written their own GUI at most. Probably just made a custom launcher...

Their choice of hardware makes also makes it pretty certain that even if they did write the rest of the OS themselves they're using the Linux kernel* as I doubt Nvidia would release drivers for a closed source no name OS/kernel.

...snip...

I think we both agree, if not on the finer details lol ;) I'd say they are using SurfaceSlinger.

It seems that their "Coded from scratch OS" is....

Android  :popcorn:
-- Yokoi Gunpei

Online Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #531 on: October 30, 2015, 08:19:33 am »
Well it is a fresh wind and I think we should welcome that. MS and Apple have had their chances and the development is slow weak at least still using mouses invented 30 yrs ago. And not able to have full control even if you do know what you are doing.

Although i do not like solu way of services paying $20 each month to be able to use the computer then the device itself should be free.
No way I am going to pay any company 200+ a year to use some piece of hardware/software. Good luck to them however.

Offline crispy_tofu

• Super Contributor
« Reply #532 on: October 30, 2015, 08:39:43 am »
It seems that their "Coded from scratch OS" is....

Android  :popcorn:

gasp   :-+

We embrace failure, it's a step on the path to success
...right

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #533 on: October 30, 2015, 02:28:03 pm »
Well it is a fresh wind and I think we should welcome that. MS and Apple have had their chances and the development is slow weak at least still using mouses invented 30 yrs ago. And not able to have full control even if you do know what you are doing.

It didn't help Plan 9 to displace old OSs
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plan_9_from_Bell_Labs

I would have welcome it, but I guess they didn't make it because so much software was already written for other OSs that no one jumped into it, maybe some day.

Offline gildasd

• Frequent Contributor
  • Engineering watch officer - Apprentice Officer
    • Sci-fi Meanderings
« Reply #534 on: November 07, 2015, 01:15:19 pm »
I'm electronically illiterate

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #535 on: December 23, 2015, 12:51:01 pm »
Not directly electronic related (though the specify a "wavelength"), but too funny to be ignored:
http://www.timesofisrael.com/solved-the-riddle-of-the-antiquities-authoritys-mysterious-gold-object/

Link to the manufacturer:
http://weberbio.de/entstoergeraete/weber-isis-beamer-1-88.html
Trying is the first step towards failure - Homer J. Simpson

Offline continuo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #536 on: December 23, 2015, 02:11:52 pm »
Oh my God, they removed the magic seal which locked Apophis for the past 5000 years in his kingdom of darkness and now he is free and soon will rise again to destroy all mankind and swipe us from the surface of the planet. It's over, we are doomed...  :scared:

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #537 on: December 23, 2015, 02:30:07 pm »
Oh come on, for only €1004 you're save within a 24m radius.
Then again I wonder if the name "Isis Beamer" you be currently misunderstood.
Trying is the first step towards failure - Homer J. Simpson

Offline g.lewarne

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #538 on: December 23, 2015, 03:46:16 pm »
Oh my God, they removed the magic seal which locked Apophis for the past 5000 years in his kingdom of darkness and now he is free and soon will rise again to destroy all mankind and swipe us from the surface of the planet. It's over, we are doomed...  :scared:

No it cannot be Apophis.  SG-1 finally killed him when they disabled the sublight drive on his replicator infested ha'tak and rammed it into his planet base.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #539 on: December 23, 2015, 09:02:11 pm »

No it cannot be Apophis.  SG-1 finally killed him when they disabled the sublight drive on his replicator infested ha'tak and rammed it into his planet base.

Anubis back from the dead again maybe? Can't be Isis that's for sure. Maybe Osiris? Can't remember if they got him...
~Albert Einstein

Offline Godzil

• Frequent Contributor
    • My own blog
« Reply #540 on: December 24, 2015, 01:20:57 am »

Anubis back from the dead again maybe? Can't be Isis that's for sure. Maybe Osiris? Can't remember if they got him...
We are not even sure that Râ is dead
-- Yokoi Gunpei

Offline g.lewarne

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #541 on: December 24, 2015, 01:52:07 am »
We are not even sure that Râ is dead

Nuke to the face is probably enough, even for a goa'uld :p

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #542 on: December 28, 2015, 10:16:21 am »
I was sent an invite to join a Facebook group today, cannot think why other my interest in radio. But this definitely belongs in the snake oil group. :-DD :-DD :wtf: :scared:

Face book link.      https://www.facebook.com/MKUltra-Revisited-1685028441746057/timeline

Blog link.https://mkultrarevisitedagain.wordpress.com/2015/12/27/mind-control-with-silent-sounds-and-super-computers/

Offline nadien

• !
« Reply #543 on: January 10, 2016, 06:16:19 pm »
Yes, but the snake oil sales people would have us believe you can

Offline SNGLinks

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #544 on: January 17, 2016, 12:04:39 am »
This is advertised on the eevblog.com site!
http://energyinnovator.org/?AFFSRC=504369

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #545 on: January 17, 2016, 12:31:16 am »

Not on my browser. Adsense is targeted to your browsing history or something like that.
Dave doesn't select what is displayed there as far as I know.

Offline Bob F.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #546 on: January 17, 2016, 01:38:20 am »
http://www.coreonehealth.com/coreone-store/emf-detection-protection/pocket-diodes.html

"Wear on the left side of the body"

Methinks the person selling that junk has read "The Hitch-hiker's Guide To The Galaxy"...

Offline Bob F.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #547 on: January 17, 2016, 01:53:05 am »
Oh lawks!  Another scammer site invoking the sacred name of Our Lord Tesla!

I'm amazed the over-unity mob have not surrounded his grave with "special crystals" so that as he rapidly spins from all the bovine arse-gravy they spew, they can tap off free energy...

Offline ciccio

• Frequent Contributor
  • Designing analog audio since 1977
    • Oberon Electrophysics
« Reply #548 on: January 17, 2016, 06:43:54 pm »
I could not arrive to the end of the bullshit video..
Next summer I'll program a trip to Tesla's home town.. There I can see the mysterious device and copy it, without paying anything to this parasite.

Best regards
Strenua Nos Exercet Inertia
I'm old enough, I don't repeat mistakes.
I always invent new ones

Offline g.lewarne

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #549 on: January 17, 2016, 11:29:07 pm »

does the video....ever end?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf