Author Topic: FeelTech FY6600 60MHz 2-Ch VCO Function Arbitrary Waveform Signal Generator  (Read 559011 times)

Offline Andreax1985

• Regular Contributor
Re: FeelTech FY6600 60MHz 2-Ch VCO Function Arbitrary Waveform Signal Generator
« Reply #1775 on: February 10, 2019, 05:11:24 pm »
I just got a FY6800 60Mhz and I observe, right off the bat, that:

i) Maximum output amplitude of 20V pk-pk for the sine wave is attained only up to around 3Mhz. After that, maximum amplitude is gradually attenuated (12V pk-pk at 10Mhz, 5V pk-pk at 20Mhz, 2V pk-pk at 30Mhz). It seems way out of specs (20V pk-pk up to 10Mhz, 10V pk-pk up to 20Mhz and 5 Vpk-pk after 20Mhz).

ii) At lower amplitides there is a noticeable offset: for example at 1Mhz, 100mV pk-pk I measure a 20mV vertical offset.

Is all this to be expected or did I get a lemon?

Offline CDaniel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1776 on: February 10, 2019, 05:46:23 pm »
Amplitude attenuation is not normal , but 20Vpp is only available below 20MHz , after that 5Vpp is the maximum allowed .
Maybe you did some simple mistakes in your measurement , like using 20MHz bandwidth limit in your oscillocope ...

The offset can be an issue ... it is possible to be adjusted and calibrated from the pots inside if you read this thread , but is somewhat laborious.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 05:55:54 pm by CDaniel »

Offline Andreax1985

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1777 on: February 10, 2019, 05:55:04 pm »
Amplitude attenuation is not normal , but 20Vpp is available only below 20MHz , after that 5Vpp is the maximum allowed .
Maybe you did some simple mistakes in your measurement , like using 20MHz bandwidth limit in your oscillocope ...

The offset can be an issue ... it is possible to be adjusted and calibrated from the pots inside if you read this thread , but is somewhat laborious.

I guess I'd better return the damn thing...man...everytime I try to save some money I end up with some crap giving me endless headaches and making me regret not having spent more

Offline Andreax1985

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1778 on: February 10, 2019, 09:36:13 pm »
 Could the problem lie in the fact that my scope doesn't have 50ohm termination, and I'm using the regular 1Mohm input?

Offline Noy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1779 on: February 10, 2019, 09:49:09 pm »
No, with 50Ohm its only 10Vpp. With high impedance 20Vpp...

Offline Andreax1985

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1780 on: February 10, 2019, 10:20:51 pm »
Ok, I must make some correction to what I wrote. I admit my inexperience in the field so please be gentle with me.

i) I was probing the output from the FY6800 with regular 1x passive probes, connecting the red awg terminal to the probe tip and the black awg terminal to the probe ground. Apparently, this was the cause of the attenuation. Instead, if I use the BNC-BNC connector from the awg directly into the scope, I observe much less attenuation and what I see is in agreement with the specs of the device. Why using regular probes gives me issues?

ii) with low amplitude settings (less than 100mV) I observe more and more dc offset (the lower the amplitude the higher the offset). If I use my scope in AC coupling mode, no offset is observed. Can I consider this a normal behaviour of the device? For your reference, with a sine wave 100mVpp I measure a 10% offset.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #1781 on: February 10, 2019, 10:47:09 pm »
For DC offset my 6600 was off by a bit. Either search the thread or go a page or two either side of this link where there was some discussion about tweaking them while stroking our grey beards with the correct tongue angle ...... Naked or not I will leave it to your imagination  >:D https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/feeltech-fy6600-60mhz-2-ch-vco-function-arbitrary-waveform-signal-generator/msg1351221/?topicseen#msg1351221

Not a perfect solution but it got mine closer to the truth.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Andreax1985

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1782 on: February 10, 2019, 10:59:33 pm »
And why using scope passive probes to measure the signal I read an attenuated signal from 3Mhz onward, whereas using BNC-BNC cable the signal maximum amplitude is in agreement with specs up to 30Mhz?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 11:01:09 pm by Andreax1985 »

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1783 on: February 10, 2019, 11:12:32 pm »
And why using scope passive probes to measure the signal I read an attenuated signal from 3Mhz onward, whereas using BNC-BNC cable the signal maximum amplitude is in agreement with specs up to 30Mhz?

Have a look at this and some of the other W2AEW videos on scopes but basically don't use 1X probes :)

https://youtu.be/SX4HGNWBe5M
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: radiolistener

Offline CDaniel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1784 on: February 11, 2019, 12:23:37 am »
I forgot to mention that tweaking those pots for DC offset could decalibrate the amplitude of the signal , so you have to have a good calibrated AC multimeter or oscilloscope before attemting . This is not for beginers , you have to know what are you doing .
Anyway this offset is best measurable with a DC multimeter ... I would not trust an oscilloscope
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 12:27:04 am by CDaniel »

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1785 on: February 11, 2019, 12:29:12 am »
Agreed you can't use the Scope (a few percent accurate) with any real accuracy for this job. I chased mine with my 34401A and sanity checked the results on the scope as the Agilent runs out of legs at 1Meg.

Offline Zenith

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1786 on: February 11, 2019, 03:05:59 pm »
Andreax1985,

I've got an FY6800. I set the  waveform to DC on both channel 1 and 2 and connected  up two fairly good DVMs using the croc-clip BNC lead, measuring each channel in turn. Altering the Volts, setting from zero, I found the FY6800 was pretty much spot on, given the expected limitations of the FY6800 and the DVMs with 200mV ranges. I also tried setting the mode to sine, with frequency and amplitude zero, the offset shown on the meters agreed well with the offset set on the FY6800. The offset was probably less than 1mV and certainly nothing like 20mV.

Using a new digital scope I see anywhere between a 1.5 mV and an a 3mV offset using a 100mV amplitude sine at 1MHz. That's almost all down to the scope, which shows an offset with a 50Ohm terminator connected on the BNC input.

I may have a particularly well calibrated FY6800, or I may have caught it when its thermal drift was just right, but I doubt it.

I'm not sure what the specification is for offset. 20mV sounds rather high, but before you send it back, or try to adjust it,  I think you should measure it with a DVM rather than a scope.

Generally I've been impressed with the FY6800, especially for the price. It's got some irritating faults, such as an almost useless sweep function. If you judge it by the standards of a quality RF signal generator, it's not great. If you judge it by the standards of a low distortion audio oscillator, it's a joke. But if you judge it as a function generator, especially against analogue function generators, it's a miracle of modern technology. The other way of judging is is in terms of what else you can get for the same money, and I doubt there's anything much better out there now.

Offline Johnny B Good

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1787 on: February 12, 2019, 12:18:13 am »
 The traffic in this thread has all the characteristic of a bus service. You know, you wait at the bus stop for the next one due in 10 minutes and, an hour later, three arrive at once! In this case, it's a week and 11 posts suddenly materialise!  >:(

Ok, I'm not going to attempt to say who said what, just address the points raised here - as I can recall them - this, sadly, isn't usenet.  :( .

Firstly, in spite of the extremely low price of these AWGs (6600 and 6800 models), they're surprisingly high spec, comparable in many ways with kit costing some 7 to 50 times more. Secondly, most of their more glaring deficiencies arising from such product design and production techniques aimed at keeping the final price to the minimum possible, can be fixed with fairly trivial component upgrades as described over a year back in this thread.

Their shortcomings due to every penny pinching trick in the book being applied are to be expected. As others have pointed out, what is remarkable is just how much functionality you're actually getting at such a low price point. However, the cynic in me suggests the penny pinching was inflicted on these AWGs by careful design rather than just the more usual simple mindlessness of letting accountants dictate the design to shave their pennies off the BoM and production line costs.

When you think about it, these products are clearly aimed at a market dominated by cash strapped hobbyists rather than professionally run high tech businesses, a market demographic made up largely of people prepared to analyse and remedy the worst excesses of Feeltech's penny pinching compromises to demonstrate just how cheaply these "Sows' Ears" can be turned into "Rayon Purses" for the want of careful calibration of presets or replacement of the crappy dual opamp with THS3001s or better, or ripping out the nasty little XO chip to replace it with a TCXO board[1] well clear of the 70 deg C neighbourhood of the original XO location with options to modify or replace the PSU board and maybe even sort out the Skoolboy Howler error of the 85 ohm attenuator pad which Feeltech CBA to correct on the main board, electing instead to use a firmware fix that can only work in the Hi Z case (hopefully, sorted in the FY6800 but that assumption has, to my knowledge, yet to be tested).

Those unpopulated opamp spots on the main board are a positive incitement to upgrade the single dual opamp chip and, in so doing, neatly void the Chinese warranty, reducing warranty claims or sales returns to an absolute minimum, virtually all but eliminating Feeltech's customer support costs. It's a win win situation all round. Feeltech are supplying not only an extremely affordable item of test gear, it's also a nice little 'fixer upper' project for most of the market demographic this was squarely aimed at. Not only does the end customer get a 'nicely priced' signal generator, he gets a self improvement project all wrapped up in one neat package as well.  :-\

Let's face it, anyone even so much as contemplating the purchase of such temptingly cheap test gear must at least be of an enquiringly enough mind to further their knowledge of electronics just by virtue of their recognising the need for such an item, no matter how limited its performance and accuracy might be. Remember, even professional test gear has its own limitations which the user has to be mindful of - you just have to be more mindful in the case of Feeltech's products is all.  :)

Next, we come to the correct use of oscilloscopes, notably the business of 'scope probes. At audio frequencies, the problem of capacitive loading from the 'scope probe lead only becomes an issue when measuring high impedance points in the circuit, a situation more likely to be met in vintage valve (tube) gear, less so in modern solid state kit.

However, probe lead capacitance becomes a serious issue with MF and and HF frequencies used in radio equipment. The 10x probe setting on the typical standard 'scope probe is the solution to this problem as described in that video (one of the better instructional videos BTW). Even so, the use of unterminated probe leads with 1M ohm/20pF channel amplifier inputs is a bit of a puzzle to me. Unless the probe cable is some special Highish Z high loss cable, I can't see how this can work.

To explain how the 10:1 20dB lossy probe tip was originally conceived, you need to understand some basic transmission line theory. If you use even a short length of 50 or 75 ohm co-ax to directly connect the RF test point to an oscilloscope's Y channel input, you introduce not only unwanted additional capacitive loading (circa 100pF per meter for 50 ohm co-ax) but also the effects of an unterminated length of transmission line which can represent anywhere from very high impedance to almost a dead short depending on whether a half or quarter wavelength's worth of probe cable is involved.

Originally, for RF work, the scope input would always be terminated in the probe lead's characteristic impedance, ime, typically 75 ohm. The tip itself was connected to the end of the probe cable using a 675 ohm resistor with a low value trimmer in parallel. The trimmer capacitor was there to match the resistive 10:1 impedance ratio to the same 10:1 probe to cable capacitive ratio. Whilst the probe tip loading of such 10:1 (20dB loss) probes did introduce some additional loading at the test point (a mere 10%), it neatly isolated it from the undesired effects of adding an unterminated length of transmission line which could introduce unwanted ringing from reflections and, at critical frequencies, lead to an effective short circuit loading.

So, that's the theory behind the (passive) 10:1 (or 100:1 and higher) probe tip as used when probing high frequency signals to display on an oscilloscope. However, as I've already mentioned, the use of 1Mohm with circa 20pF Y amp inputs on modern 'scopes, seems at odds with that basic working principle. The probe tip 9Mohm resistor with a 4pF trimmer follows the same basic principle but it's the lack of termination for the co-axial probe lead itself that leaves me puzzled and I can only guess that the probe lead co-ax must be some special high loss cable designed to eliminate unwanted reflections.

After reading the wikipedia article here:-  <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Test_probe> , it seems my supposition about the use of special hi impedance lossy co-ax cable with typical passive 10:1 probes normally supplied with modern 'scopes was just about spot on. My knowledge as it related to probing RF frequency amplifier circuits refers to the use of "Lo Z probes".

You might think that a transmission line (75 ohm co-ax in this case) would need to be terminated at both ends with an impedance matching the cable's characteristic impedance but that's not actually required with a unidirectional signal flow. It's only the receiving end that needs to be matched to eliminate unwanted signal reflections and standing wave voltages. The signal source in this case can be anything from zero to infinite (constant current) ohms. the probe end of the cable will still look like a 75 ohm impedance regardless, provided the scope end remains properly terminated.

Matching the amplifier's output impedance to that of the load is purely a matter of maximising the coupling of its output energy into the load. A properly terminated cable, no matter how long, will always look like a resistive load equal in ohmic value to that of its matched characteristic impedance. Indeed, the longer the cable, with consequently greater loss, the more accurate the match to its characteristic impedance it will have until, given a long enough cable length and therefore attenuation, the termination impedance becomes totally irrelevant (eg 50dB loss becomes a 100dB attenuation of any energy reflected from an open or short circuit load at the far end.

Anyway, here's the 'thing'. Unless you're dealing with lengths of 50 ohm co-ax shorter than a tenth of a wavelength of your signal generator's output frequency between the generator and the 'scope input socket, as well as the capacitive loading effect of the cable, you're going to see the effect of unterminated transmission line reflections introducing variations in the voltage levels at the 'scope input unless you introduce a 50 ohm terminator at the scope end of the cable (either a built in option on the 'scopes Y input socket or the use of a through line terminator or a T adapter with a 50 ohm terminator plugged into it).

If you want to have some fun, checking the frequency response of your FY6800 using  just a standard unterminated RG58 BNC lead, try various lengths of such leads (2, 5 and 10 metre lengths being typical offerings available) and you can observe the response peak at frequencies corresponding to odd numbers of quarter wavelengths of the test frequencies being used.

If, after using the correct methods of measuring the performance of the FY6800, you still feel it falls way short of its advertised specification, you'd be well advised to return it, unmodified in any way, as "Not as described" to get a full refund and look to spending, for example, some 600 quid on a Siglent SDG2082X Signal Generator

[Notes]

[1] This  is a fine example of just how cheap the FY6600 is compared to the 120MHz (sine wave) dual channel Keysight AWG when it comes to upgrading their original XO references (admittedly, the Keysight reference XO was far superior to that of the Feeltech's to begin with) to 0.1ppm TCXO modules.

For a mere 23 quid and a modest investment of my time, I was able to do the same upgrade that would have cost 700 quid as a return to factory upgrade option for the Keysight. The cost of the Keysight TCXO upgrade alone was nine times more than what I'd originally paid for the FY6600 in the first place!

JBG
John

Offline radiolistener

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1788 on: February 12, 2019, 02:01:58 am »
Could the problem lie in the fact that my scope doesn't have 50ohm termination, and I'm using the regular 1Mohm input?

yes, it will leads to unmatched RF line. So your coax cable will turn into RF transformer, which transformation ratio will depends on wave length, cable length, input impedance and cable impedance. The shorter the wavelength (the higher the frequency), the higher measurement error you will get.

For low frequency (long wavelength) it doesn't play a big role, since wavelength is much longer than cable length, so measurement error will be too small. But for higher frequency (more than 2-5 MHz), the error will be noticeable. For more than 7-10 MHz you cannot use 1 m unmatched line (I think you're used 1m cable to connect oscilloscope), because measurement error will be too high.

For high frequency you're need to add pass-through terminator at the oscilloscope input, in order to avoid the standing waves effect on measurement result. This terminator should be the same value as cable impedance. I think you're using 50 Ohm cable, so you're need to use 50 Ohm pass-through terminator at oscilloscope side. This is needed to match your RF line.

Without this termination you will get random amplitude on oscillsocope. And this random amplitude will depends on frequency and cable length.

And this is why generator output should be 50 Ohm impedance and calibrated for 50 Ohm impedance. Otherwise you will not be able to predict amplitude on the 50 Ohm cable end.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 02:34:24 am by radiolistener »

Offline CDaniel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1789 on: February 12, 2019, 07:46:19 am »
It is not the lack of 50ohm termination the cause , with 1Mohm impedance oscilloscope ( used correctly )the output of FY6600 is allmost flat until 60MHz ...

Offline Andreax1985

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1790 on: February 12, 2019, 09:57:31 am »
I did some testing. Here's what I got:

i) If I use my multimeter and set the FY6800 to DC I get almost perfect agreement at all voltage levels (+/- 2%, but my multimeter is a 15euro unbranded device, so nothing to heavily rely upon).

ii) If I use my DSO (Siglent 1104X-E, 1M input) with 1X probe onto the FY6800 BNC input, I get attenuation starting from 3MHz onward, but this is to be expected. Every 1X probe is strongly bandwidth limited.

iii) If I use my DSO (1M input) with 10X probe onto the FY6800 BNC input, I get no attenuation until 60Mhz. I observe a 10mV DC offset.

iv)  If I use my DSO (1M input) with the BNC-BNC cable supplied with FY6800, I get slight attenuation at higher frequencies (as expected, I think, from this kind of cable), and only slight 1-2mV DC offset (as experienced by Zenith).

So: are my probes (or my DSO) not so good? Should I get better quality 10X probes?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 09:59:23 am by Andreax1985 »

Offline Zenith

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1791 on: February 12, 2019, 12:39:39 pm »
Andreax1985,

I redid the measurements using my Siglent SDS 1102CML+.

I had the scope do its auto calibration. I set both channels to 2mV/div and  set acquisition to averaging over 16 readings (which gets rid of rapid fluctuations in readings) then called up all voltage measurements. Channe1 1 gives Vpp of between 0.08mV and a mean of -0.08mV. Channel 2 gives Vpp between 0.16mV and 0.24mV with mean between 0.00mV and -0.08mV. The scope looks as if it only deals in voltage steps of 0.08mV on that range.

A 10mV, 0.000mV offset, 100KHz  sine from channel 2 of the FY6800 gives a Vpp of 9.4mV and a mean of 1.04mV. Changing the coupling on the scope to AC gives a Vpp of 9.4mV and a mean of zero. Changing back to DC and setting the offset on the FY6800 to -0.001V changes the mean to -0.016mV. Changing the amplitude on the FY6800 to 100mV and offset zero, gives Vpp 0f 102mV and a mean of 1.6mV. A square wave produces near identical results. Note that the mean doesn't change much with amplitude.

I'm inclined to believe that the output of the FY6800 has an offset of about 1mV and that maybe the waveform isn't quite symmetrical, but these are measurements on the limits of what both the scope and DVMs can do. The offset is nothing to worry about, in fact it's pleasantly small, and it's certainly not worth trying to adjust it down further. It seems as if your FY6800 has a similar small offset. If you have some particular need to get the offset down further, you can reduce it by setting the offset on the FY6800.

I had doubts about the 100MHz probes which came with the Siglent, so I compared them against an HP10040A probe using an HP8640A sig gen. The conclusion I came to is that the supplied probes are up to the job. Sometimes they need wiggling so they make a good contact. Top flight probes are nice, but expensive. From what you've said, I think you should spend the money on a better DVM instead.

Generally, I've found my Siglent scope to be surprisingly good and well worth the money, although it has the odd quirk. There's no doubt if you pay more, you get a more capable scope, but I see no need to sell mine and get a better one.

Offline radiolistener

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1792 on: February 12, 2019, 12:45:23 pm »
iii) If I use my DSO (1M input) with 10X probe onto the FY6800 BNC input, I get no attenuation until 60Mhz. I observe a 10mV DC offset.

This is because your oscilloscope probe has circuit to correct impedance mismatch on both sides of probe cable. And standing waves in the cable doesn't affect measurement. Because probe designed to work in such way.

iv)  If I use my DSO (1M input) with the BNC-BNC cable supplied with FY6800, I get slight attenuation at higher frequencies (as expected, I think, from this kind of cable), and only slight 1-2mV DC offset (as experienced by Zenith).

This slight attenuation appears because your cable isn't terminated properly and you're see effect of increasing/decreasing amplitude due to standing waves in the cable. These standing waves appears due to reflections from non-matched cable end. When there are standing waves in the cable, your amplitude measurements will depends on the cable length and wavelength of signal. So, if you will increase frequency, or reduce cable length the amplitude will be changed.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 12:47:20 pm by radiolistener »

Offline Andreax1985

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1793 on: February 12, 2019, 02:30:26 pm »
Thanks! And why DC offset is higher with X10 probe than with the unterminated BNC-BNC cable?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 02:32:32 pm by Andreax1985 »

Offline CDaniel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1794 on: February 12, 2019, 03:30:24 pm »
The DSO is switching ranges between 1:1 and 1:10 ( and it is not the simple divider found in multimeters ) , so it is not the cable ... thats why I said don't trust the oscilloscope for small offsets.
But you can investigate this by using a small DC variable voltage , a battery and a potentiometer for example .

Offline Johnny B Good

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1795 on: February 12, 2019, 07:14:25 pm »
Andreax1985,

I redid the measurements using my Siglent SDS 1102CML+.

I had the scope do its auto calibration. I set both channels to 2mV/div and  set acquisition to averaging over 16 readings (which gets rid of rapid fluctuations in readings) then called up all voltage measurements. Channe1 1 gives Vpp of between 0.08mV and a mean of -0.08mV. Channel 2 gives Vpp between 0.16mV and 0.24mV with mean between 0.00mV and -0.08mV. The scope looks as if it only deals in voltage steps of 0.08mV on that range.

A 10mV, 0.000mV offset, 100KHz  sine from channel 2 of the FY6800 gives a Vpp of 9.4mV and a mean of 1.04mV. Changing the coupling on the scope to AC gives a Vpp of 9.4mV and a mean of zero. Changing back to DC and setting the offset on the FY6800 to -0.001V changes the mean to -0.016mV. Changing the amplitude on the FY6800 to 100mV and offset zero, gives Vpp 0f 102mV and a mean of 1.6mV. A square wave produces near identical results. Note that the mean doesn't change much with amplitude.

I'm inclined to believe that the output of the FY6800 has an offset of about 1mV and that maybe the waveform isn't quite symmetrical, but these are measurements on the limits of what both the scope and DVMs can do. The offset is nothing to worry about, in fact it's pleasantly small, and it's certainly not worth trying to adjust it down further. It seems as if your FY6800 has a similar small offset. If you have some particular need to get the offset down further, you can reduce it by setting the offset on the FY6800.

I had doubts about the 100MHz probes which came with the Siglent, so I compared them against an HP10040A probe using an HP8640A sig gen. The conclusion I came to is that the supplied probes are up to the job. Sometimes they need wiggling so they make a good contact. Top flight probes are nice, but expensive. From what you've said, I think you should spend the money on a better DVM instead.

Generally, I've found my Siglent scope to be surprisingly good and well worth the money, although it has the odd quirk. There's no doubt if you pay more, you get a more capable scope, but I see no need to sell mine and get a better one.

I bought my Siglent SDS 1202X-E from their UK agent (Labtronix, if anyone's interested) a lttle over 3 months ago as a result of my attention being drawn to this thread by a usenet posting into SED. It was the startling revelation of the amazingly low prices for brand new modern T&M kit that prompted me to replace my very neglected "Boat Anchor" 'scope and sig generator with high performance replacements I could carry around one handed.

A week after getting hold of the 'scope, I realised I needed a signal generator to complement it so seriously contemplated Siglent's SDG1032X (just a fiver shy of the 365 quid I'd already shelled out on the 'scope). When I compared the specs, I realised I could get a poor man's version (the FY6600) which offered similar features (some better, others not quite so good) for just 21% of the SDG1032X's asking price, so re-read the whole of this thread... (twice!) before placing an order with a Chinese supplier who held stock in the UK and less than a week later, I had myself an AWG of my own. From then on it was downhill into the depths of DIY electronics improvement.  :-\

As you've noted with the supplied 'scope probes, they leave a little to be desired (certainly with regard to their BNC adapter tips) but aside from that niggling shortcoming, they (and the 'scope itself) appear to meet their specifications just fine. Of course, as I've pointed out several times here and elsewhere, all test kit has limitations, even the expensive kit costing ten to a hundred times more.

With regard to the limited resolution of the voltmeter function, that's inherent to the 8 bit high speed ADCs used in these DSOs to capture the signal waveforms. With only 8 bits resolution, you're only going to see a maximum of 256 steps (twos complement signed integer - -128 to +127) in the Y axis of the 'scope's display. The ENOB setting using oversampling can extend the resolution by another 1 to 3 bits but that introduces a compromise which may or may not be acceptable depending on which aspects of the waveform you're trying to examine.

Luckily, for the purpose of displaying a waveform on the screen, this is generally ample resolution. Even luckier in the case of DSOs, if you need to see finer detail, you can alter the gain and dc offset so as to concentrate the view over a limited Y axis range of interest in the waveform. However, as I've already mentioned, this technique has its limits and is yet another compromise (one, however, which does extend the capability beyond that of the traditional CRT based scope).

Although my FY6600 has some DC offset, it's mercifully only a matter of a millivolt or so in the sub 500mV range (the range where that silly 85ohm pad is switched into the output circuit) and still low enough to be insignificant at the higher output ranges so I've never been tempted to tweak the trimmers (let sleeping dogs lie undisturbed lest they bite you in the bum). I may have a go at trimming out such residual offsets later on when I'm better tooled up to make sense of any such adjustments but, for now, they're not a problem and I don't see any benefit in taking the risk of making things worse.  ;)

Being mindful of what I'd said in my previous post about the impedance of the generator being immaterial when driving a load matched to the impedance of the connecting transmission line (in this case, a 50 ohm dummy load hanging off the BNC T adapter plugged into the 'scope's Y channel input socket using the very short 50 ohm BNC patch lead supplied with the FY6600), I've just checked the frequency response of my FY6600 and see 74 and 75 percent of the amplitude (or, in this case, the Peak to Peak) at the 60MHz limit compared to the amplitude produced at 1MHz (the 100KHz amplitude was just a tiny fraction higher by way of a sanity check).

This is less than the 29% drop associated with the -3dB bandwidth point of 70.70707% voltage amplitude. Since this frequency is well within the 'scope's claimed 200MHz bandwidth, it would seem that my FY6600 example comfortably meets its own bandwidth specification. However, I'm just waiting for the half hour screen saver setting to time out before running the self calibration routine to repeat those tests (which event has occurred just now). I'm now waiting for the self calibration to complete and I can then repeat the bandwidth test...

I've gotten pretty well the same figures on both channels of the generator and ditto for the 'scope channels, doing only one channel at a time. If anything, there seems to be a slight discrepancy with the 'scope's frequency response where it rises slightly below the 1MHz mark on the Y2 channel compared to the Y1 channel. Just a small fraction of a dB, nothing to get worked up about.

All in all, the FY6600 seems to be performing to its specification on sine wave bandwidth at least. Since the PSU, opamp and TCXO mods, it now exceeds its original DC offset/signal clipping limits and frequency stability capabilities (and the impedance mismatch below the 500mV setting isn't quite so shabby as it originally was - 45 ohm versus the original 85 ohm, whilst still not ideal, is a noticeable improvement just the same).

Since the FY6800 is essentially a revamped FY6600, I'd expect that to likewise exceed its sine wave output bandwidth claims, barring any out of the ordinary manufacturing defects (they have enough ordinary cost cutting induced deficiencies to begin with).

I've only addressed the matter of the frequency bandwidth aspect, ignoring the question of output voltage level calibration which seems to be within +/- 10% (according to my 'scope which, for the moment I'm assuming to be within its own +/-3% tolerance range - ICBA to knock up a simple peak voltage detector using a point contact diode to sanity check the voltage levels right now).

It's all too easy to obtain misleading results when checking out such kit when you overlook the transmission line effects of the connecting cables at radio frequencies and neglect the need to terminate the cables with a resistive impedance matching that of the cable (50 ohm dummy loads with 50 ohm BNC cables). It's also worth keeping in mind the limitations of your test and measuring equipment (DSOs don't, for example, make a very good substitute as a digital voltmeter).

If you're seeing unexpected results when checking out new kit, it's more than likely you have overlooked something vital like properly terminating a test cable. Take a pause from what you've been doing and consider the possibility that you've overlooked something in your test setup before concluding you have been 'sold a pup'.  If that doesn't resolve the issue, you can always seek advice from any technical discussion group, whether it's EEVBlog or a usenet group just as Andreax1985 has done in this case. There's nothing wrong in seeking expert advice or a second opinion from your peers.

JBG

John

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1796 on: February 12, 2019, 08:55:53 pm »

If you're seeing unexpected results when checking out new kit, it's more than likely you have overlooked something vital like properly terminating a test cable. Take a pause from what you've been doing and consider the possibility that you've overlooked something in your test setup before concluding you have been 'sold a pup'.  If that doesn't resolve the issue, you can always seek advice from any technical discussion group, whether it's EEVBlog or a usenet group just as Andreax1985 has done in this case. There's nothing wrong in seeking expert advice or a second opinion from your peers.

JBG

I'd like to add that if you are using cables and connectors which are not *known* to be good you give that careful scrutiny.  I bought 10x 50 ohm BNC jumpers on eBay, 5x from two sellers.

When I plugged them into my 8560A and swept them with the TG there was a sharp notch around 50 MHz on all the cables.  So I cut one open.  Despite being screw on shield clamp connectors, the OEM had twisted the braid and soldered it at one point.  So except for use as a power feed for my RF Design RFD 2305 they are useless because the notch is not even stable.

So regardless of price, buy at least 1 or 2 name brand devices of anything so you have a reference to compare to.  But watch out.  Chinese SMA-M connectors are known to often have out of spec pins which are oversize. So if you connect one to a good quality SMA-F it's destroyed.

The only way to address that that I can think of at the moment is to buy a Pasternak or similar SMA-F and
 mount it with a little spring scale so you can push it into a Chinese SMA-M and if the SMA-M is oversize the spring scale will warn you to throw it away.  If anyone knows of a source of steel gauges for checking connectors please post a link.

All cheap Chinese connectors, adaptors and cables have to be swept over the intended operating range on receipt.  I didn't believe it was as bad as it is, but I now have personal experience and an unknown amount of scrap metal bought at inflated prices.

The following users thanked this post: Johnny B Good

Offline radiolistener

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1797 on: February 13, 2019, 12:56:49 am »
And why DC offset is higher with X10 probe than with the unterminated BNC-BNC cable?

Let's assume that generator output impedance is 50 Ohm, and we set it's output to 1 Vpk on 50 Ohm load. It means that we have 0.5 divider, because input and output impedance is the same = 50 Ohm. So Vpk on Hi-Z load (no load) will be 2 Vpk.

For 1 MOhm oscilloscope with BNC-BNC cable, there is 1000000/(1000000+50) = 0.99995 divider and we will have Vpk1MOhm = 2 * 0.99995 = 1.9999 V.

For 10 MOhm with x10 probe, there is 10000000/(10000000+50) = 0.999995 divider and we will have Vpk10MOhm = 2 * 0.999995 = 1.99999 V.

The difference is 1.99999 - 1.9999 = 90 uV. You cannot measure so low difference with oscilloscope.

So, I think this is definitely related with RF interference and oscilloscope accuracy, because 10 MOhm input is more sensitive for RF interference, than 1 MOhm input. And there are other issues that may affect on the result, because 10 mV is too small value on the background of oscilloscope and probe accuracy.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 01:01:15 am by radiolistener »

Offline radiolistener

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1798 on: February 13, 2019, 01:10:18 am »
All cheap Chinese connectors, adaptors and cables have to be swept over the intended operating range on receipt.  I didn't believe it was as bad as it is, but I now have personal experience and an unknown amount of scrap metal bought at inflated prices.

yes, I completely agree. Also it's better to avoid these "golden plated" yellow SMA, because they tinned with thin foil of some unknown metal (it's probably titanium nitride or something like that) and it peels off and contaminates the connectors. It's better to buy Chinese "nickel-plated" SMA, because it's much better - it has better contact and don't contaminates the connectors with small pieces of titanium nitride.

Also I noticed that all RF things sold on aliexpress has much worse specs than it's claimed on product description page. You can divide all specified dB at least by half. :)

I also bought 1 meter LMR195 cable with PL239 connectors and get SWR=1.2 on 27 MHz with this cable!
For comparison I have SWR=1.01 with the same conditions on 1 meter of RG58 cable.
I even don't have idea why it has so high SWR, there is just 1 meter of cable...
I tried to heat connectors of this cable with soldering iron (I think there is a bad contact somewhere), but it doesn't helps.
The seller sent me replacement, but it has the same bad SWR.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 01:23:44 am by radiolistener »

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1799 on: February 13, 2019, 03:24:52 am »

The thing that *really* makes me mad is the US owned the electronics industry after WW II. And we *gave* it to the Chinese so that a small number of people could accumulate more money than they can ever spend.

We taught the Chinese how to do it *and* paid for the factories!

The USA has done more for the benefit of the Chinese than it has for its own people.  All so a few people could add digits to 9 figure bank accounts. I am proud that we have raised the standard of living in China, but I am disgusted that this was done to the detriment of many for the benefit of a few.

Given the disasters of the "Great Leap Forward" and the "Cultural Revolution"  and the long history of abuse and exploitation of the Chinese by Western countries the Chinese population deserved help.  But not at the expense of bankrupting the American public.

We need an analogue to Shenzen in the US. Silicon Valley was at one time, but now almost nothing is made in the US.  And if you're not working for a big corporation, you can't obtain exotic parts.  In Shenzen, you just wander to the right part of town and anything you want is available at good prices in quantities from 1 to 1 million.  They give you a good deal on 1 in hopes you'll succeed and buy 1 million.

But we all get what we deserve whether we want it or not, either as individuals or members of a group.  Sometimes this is as punishment and sometimes it's a blessing.  Which is always ambiguous and depends entirely upon what we do next.

I hope Dave and Simon will forgive my transgression.  But I really feel this needed to be said.  The Western world transferred opportunity to China so the rich could become even richer.  Just because they only care about their position in the Forbes rankings.  Personal reputation is just another  commodity they buy from a PR firm.

The following users thanked this post: Johnny B Good, alexm58

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf