Author Topic: Siglent Technical Support join in EEVblog  (Read 529274 times)

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Siglent Technical Support join in EEVblog
« Reply #1275 on: December 17, 2019, 11:20:12 pm »
orzel,

since I wanted to thank you for your information, but cannot send you a message on the forum
(your mailbox is full, the forum-Software will no longer send messages to you) I only have to do this this way.
Thanks, the settings for the 1032X worked.  :-+

Regards Klaus
Yes, PM's are limited until you have 5 posts.
Also, please take any discussion of hacks from this Siglent support thread into the appropriate model thread eg:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sdg1000x-waveform-generators/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 08:35:05 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: MT, tubularnut, ahope

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1277 on: December 18, 2019, 07:03:43 pm »
You've missed one. :-DD
.  That took much longer than I thought it would.

The following users thanked this post: tautech, dohhomer

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1278 on: December 23, 2019, 08:39:40 am »
Siglent wishes all EEVblog members a happy and safe festive season.
Further, a thank you to their many customers for their support and feedback on EEVblog.

Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, flash2b, 2N3055, Mortymore, BillB

Offline t1d

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1279 on: December 27, 2019, 07:57:02 am »
I have a newish SDS1104X-E oscilloscope, and being an old noob, I am still trying to make friends with it.

Firstly, when I change/zoom in the divisions per volt setting, the waveform jumps off the screen and the position knob must be turned, until the waveform is found and re-positioned. This can require a lot of turns. Is there any function to set the location of the waveform and relocate it with the push of a button? If not, are there any tips to make this less tedious?

Secondly, even understanding that extreme caution is needed when probing, and trying my best not to touch the wrong thing, I did end up having a spark on one probe. I honestly don't know what happened, or where the contact was made. It did not leave any kind of mark on the probe and all the functions of the scope seem to be intact. The DUT also seems to be fine. So, do I need to worry, further?

Thanks for your help and support.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1280 on: December 27, 2019, 08:14:01 am »
I have a newish SDS1104X-E oscilloscope, and being an old noob, I am still trying to make friends with it.

Firstly, when I change/zoom in the divisions per volt setting, the waveform jumps off the screen and the position knob must be turned, until the waveform is found and re-positioned. This can require a lot of turns. Is there any function to set the location of the waveform and relocate it with the push of a button? If not, are there any tips to make this less tedious?
Yep, like most of the encoders V-POSition has a pressable function that places the 0V position back to the middle of the display. Use of AC input coupling can also help when the waveform has a large DC offset value.

There are limitations of how much DC offset is available and these are listed in the datasheet however if you can work with these limits and also know how much offset you require (simple maths based on V/div setting  ;)) you can quickly make this offset from within each channel's menu with the virtual keyboard. To use it go to P2 in the channel menu and select Offset then press the multifunction control and the virtual keyboard pops up. Use the same control to make the setting you want and press the unit type or OK.
Pic attached.

Secondly, even understanding that extreme caution is needed when probing, and trying my best not to touch the wrong thing, I did end up having a spark on one probe. I honestly don't know what happened, or where the contact was made. It did not leave any kind of mark on the probe and all the functions of the scope seem to be intact. The DUT also seems to be fine. So, do I need to worry, further?
In the probe packet there are little yellow plastic condoms that cover the ground ring on the probe when the top-hat grabber is removed and just leave the very tip of the probe exposed. Get used to using them when probing circuits with any sort of high concentration of parts and/or differing voltage potentials.
It's unlikely you've hurt the probe or scope but for peace of mind do a continuity check between the probe ground lead and the mains earth pin on the scope's mains lead.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 08:27:13 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: t1d

Offline t1d

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1281 on: December 27, 2019, 09:03:15 am »
Yep, like most of the encoders V-POSition has a pressable function that places the 0V position back to the middle of the display. Use of AC input coupling can also help when the waveform has a large DC offset value.
Yes, I have used the Zero function on the Position knob to bring the reference back to 0v. But, this does not account for the offset, as you say below.

There are limitations of how much DC offset is available and these are listed in the datasheet however if you can work with these limits and also know how much offset you require (simple maths based on V/div setting  ;)) you can quickly make this offset from within each channel's menu with the virtual keyboard. To use it go to P2 in the channel menu and select Offset then press the multifunction control and the virtual keyboard pops up. Use the same control to make the setting you want and press the unit type or OK. Pic attached.
Ah, there's the trick... Thanks!!!

In the probe packet there are little yellow plastic condoms that cover the ground ring on the probe when the top-hat grabber is removed and just leave the very tip of the probe exposed. Get used to using them when probing circuits with any sort of high concentration of parts and/or differing voltage potentials.
It's unlikely you've hurt the probe or scope but for peace of mind do a continuity check between the probe ground lead and the mains earth pin on the scope's mains lead.
Yep, I forgot about the yellow cover. I will add it to my setup process.

I have not noticed any grounding issues, but I will check the resistance on the probe ground, as you suggest. Good idea.

Thank you for your great help!

Online Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1282 on: December 27, 2019, 09:06:07 am »
I cannot know what your signal and settings look like, but fortunately you have a scope that has all the required mechanisms to deal with most situations.

In the UTILITY menu, there is a submenu "Reference Position". This contains two options for the vertical reference postion:
  • Fixed Postion (position on the screen remains constant regardless of the vertical gain setting)
  • Fixed Offset (position on the screen changes with the vertical gain setting according to the offset)
Depending on your use case (especially the portion of the waveform you're interested in) one or the other of these two strategies should keep the interesting part of the waveform in view.

I feel obligated to remind you that all this is only meant to get rid of DC offsets that are part of the input signal. Quite obviously, zooming into a large AC amplitude might cause problems with the overdrive recovery of the split path input buffer and consequently result in a false waveform display.

For the Siglent DSOs there is a rule of thumb:
You can zoom into a waveform and overdrive the input without major consequences for the signal fidelity as long as the signal amplitude does not exceed 700mVpp at the input socket. This means just 7Vpp for a x10 probe and 70Vpp for a x100 probe.

A spark can only come from the ground connection, which is mains earth. So it was the ground ring of the probe that made contact and drew a spark.

You need not worry about the scope and if visual inspection of the probe shows no major burn marks on the ground ring then the probe will be fine as well. I cannot tell the consequences for the DUT though.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 09:10:41 am by Performa01 »

The following users thanked this post: rf-loop, tautech, t1d

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #1283 on: December 27, 2019, 01:56:40 pm »

Thanks for your help and support.

Not just your question but...
With offset setting it is some times frustrating when signal stay same but user need select other V/div setting.
This is why there Siglent added (time ago) one feature. User can select Vertical: "Fixed Position" or "Fixed Offset" (also same for horizontal)

Fixed Offset is default.
Fixed Position example:
If user have +3V dc signal and 1V/div.  User see trace 3 div up from center (if offset 0).
If user now adjust offset to 3V so that trace is center (offset 3).
(0 level is now 3 div down from center.)
Now if user change V/div setting...what happen?  If signal is enough accurate 3V trace stay center of screen what ever V/div user now select. (and zero line move more or less out from display) (this feature can also use indirectly for more resolution proportional voltage measurements in some cases due to fact that offset DAC have lot of more resolution than main ADC)

Fixed Position vertical ref is quite useful if need example look PSU ripple and still also can detect also more or less slow drift and jitter. No need turn or set again and again trace offset when change V/div.

And more, in same improvement time Siglent add also same function for horizontal position. So if want example trigger position left side (or where ever) then when change horizontal speed (time/div) trigger position stay fixed in user selected position.
Horizontal: "Fixed Time" is default but user can select also "Fixed Position" mode. 
This is handy in some situations when need trigger position other than center and then need often change time/div (example with serial decoding very useful and in many other situations also) Also if user like left screen trigger position like old analog scopes, just use it.

Utility menu page 4, "Reference"... if I remember right (I have not now here SDS1000X-E for check)

ETA: Perfoma01 was more fast........  ;)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 01:59:29 pm by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

The following users thanked this post: tautech, t1d

Offline t1d

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1284 on: December 28, 2019, 12:01:55 pm »
@ tautech, Performa01 and rf-loop,

I just wanted to thank you for your gracious help, sharing your knowledge and the effort to do so. I found all of your replies to be quiet educational. I have even printed them out to review (several times ;-)) and added them to my manual. (I did print out the complete manual.)

Thank you, very much!

Offline t1d

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1285 on: December 28, 2019, 12:04:29 pm »
@ Siglent

IMHO, for noob's like me, the manuals only points out the feature's of a device, but do not really go into how to use a function. This is true of all three manuals of my new Siglent gear.

Are there any training videos? I have found some information on YouTube, and I greatly appreciate the authors' efforts to share, but they are not professional training videos made by the OEM, whom should know the equipment the best.

Thank you for your consideration.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1286 on: December 28, 2019, 01:04:10 pm »
To be fair, a user manual isn't meant to teach you how to use a piece of equipment, just let you know where to find things. The user manual of a car doesn't teach you how to drive.

There are some very good oscilloscope usage guides available from Tektronix that you can download as pdf. They will teach you how to use any oscilloscope. Have a look here: https://www.tek.com/learning/oscilloscope-tutorial

McBryce.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 01:07:59 pm by McBryce »
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: Kilrah

Online Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1287 on: December 28, 2019, 04:16:59 pm »
Documents, Operating Tips, Application Notes and Product Videos can be downloaded here:
https://siglentna.com/resources/

My review (as PDF documents) of the SDS1004X-E series DSO is partially outdated by now and still incomplete, but should provide some additional insights and operating tips. It can be found here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds1104x-e-in-depth-review/

All this material is not meant as beginners tutorials though.

The following users thanked this post: t1d

Offline t1d

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1288 on: December 28, 2019, 07:51:11 pm »
Thank you, Performa01. Much appreciated!

Offline e0ne199

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1289 on: January 02, 2020, 01:01:35 pm »
any news about new firmware for sds1000x-e series?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1290 on: January 02, 2020, 07:13:45 pm »
2ch or 4ch models ? They run different FW's.

Which do you have and what FW do you have installed ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1291 on: January 20, 2020, 09:54:03 am »
Updates from Siglent.

SDL
1. For the EasyDL, we are sorry. It is delayed several times.
SDM
2. The manual adjustment, this function will be finished soon. But this function still require a high accuracy source. So it does not fit for all the users. Change the calibration data is high risk for us and customers.
3. For the larger display dual and temp sensors, these two function are finished.
(SDM3065X FW should be available soon.)

4. For the SHS firmware, we will release it in a week.

Is there any hope that the SHS800 Rev 07 Firmware will ever be released, or am I just wasting my time asking?

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline e0ne199

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1292 on: January 21, 2020, 04:07:07 pm »

4ch models, 1204X-E
i am running the latest firmware 6.1.33..anyway do you know when the next firmware will release?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1293 on: January 21, 2020, 07:43:20 pm »

4ch models, 1204X-E
i am running the latest firmware 6.1.33..anyway do you know when the next firmware will release?
No.
The factory in on their 2 week spring break so no news until Feb.

Do you have an issue that needs fixing ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline NY2KW

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1294 on: January 27, 2020, 04:06:50 am »
Just got my SVA1032X and getting familiar with it.  I have a few questions and don't know if this thread is the right place but here goes:

1) Easyspectrum does not give any control over the VNA (at least not by USB).  Any future plans to provide this remote function?
2) Is there any way to directly save to a PC screen snapshots in VNA mode?  I know I can save png to the SVA1032x internal memory and then copy it to my PC but would be much more functional to control directly to a PC
3) Using Preset and going to VNA the number of data points defaults to 201.  This leads to some very choppy Smith chart graphs.  To get a really smooth Smith plot you need 500-700 data points.  Whats the downside to always using more data points routinely?
4) I have seen screen shots of the SVA1015x serial number and it begins with SVA, I was curious of the significance, if any, of my SVA1032x serial number starting with SSA3?

thanks in advance
Jerry NY2KW

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1295 on: January 27, 2020, 05:59:10 am »
Just got my SVA1032X and getting familiar with it.  I have a few questions and don't know if this thread is the right place but here goes:

1) Easyspectrum does not give any control over the VNA (at least not by USB).  Any future plans to provide this remote function?
2) Is there any way to directly save to a PC screen snapshots in VNA mode?  I know I can save png to the SVA1032x internal memory and then copy it to my PC but would be much more functional to control directly to a PC
3) Using Preset and going to VNA the number of data points defaults to 201.  This leads to some very choppy Smith chart graphs.  To get a really smooth Smith plot you need 500-700 data points.  Whats the downside to always using more data points routinely?
4) I have seen screen shots of the SVA1015x serial number and it begins with SVA, I was curious of the significance, if any, of my SVA1032x serial number starting with SSA3?

thanks in advance
Jerry NY2KW
Transferred here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sva1015x-1-5ghz-spectrum-vector-network-analyzer-(coming)/msg2889306/#msg2889306
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline gab_p

Re: SDG 1032X bricked after firmware upgrade
« Reply #1296 on: February 03, 2020, 06:42:51 pm »
Please PM me your email and I'll send the 18 MB package to you.

I manage to 'save' the device with this. But it's not a piece of cake. It really seemed simple: copy some files at the root of a usb disk, and boot the device with the key plugged in.

For the record, here's how it went:
(i almost never use USB keys, so i dont have a bunch of them)

Failure #1: using my usual usb key, the one that i've used to update almost everything here, including siglent devices such as SDS 1104x-e or SDG 1032x: nothing happened (noname, 4Gb, 'linux' partition id, vfat).
Failure #2: using another key (noname, 8G, 'w95 fat32', vfat)
Failure #3: wanting to 'start from scratch', I repartitionned/reformated a key, similar to the one used in 1 (noname, 4G, 'linux', vfat)
Failure #4,5,6: didn't take note :/ But none was 16G (doc says it's not supported). I tried some fat, fat32, ntfs. Didn't try 'exfat'.
Success : another key (noname, 4G, 'w95 fat32', vfat)

Failure means: nothing happened, even after ~5minutes, The doc says it can last ~2minutes. All keys were using 'dos' partitionning, not mpt. This has a field 'partition type', and this is what i display in 'partition id'. No idea if that's relevant or not. I could not figure out what the last one has that others dont... It's a very old key i hadn't touched for years.

On success, it was obvious right at start that something was happenning. The key led blinked (other keys didn't have leds, so can't say), the device screen blinked once or twice, and i had the GUI after only one minute.

Interesting checks right after this:
* the firmware was, as expected, back to a very old version 1.01.01.22R5
* the hack was still valid (30->60MHz), so I really doubt this was the original problem
* the 'startup times' displayed in 'system info' was reset

I finally managed to update to 1.01.01.33R1B5. Once again, the 'hack' survived. I noticed that the hardware version was changed from 02-01-00-23-00 to 02-01-00-24-00, which is .... interesting for a firmware update. I didn't notice if this was this way with 22R5, but probably not.

Anyway, thanks a lot to tautech. NZ is almost as far as possible from here (France), but I wish I had such a reseller here in Europe.
Thanks for writing your adventure up.
Yes the recovery manual is deficient in that it does not specify the USB stick file format required and as a consequence of your trouble I have asked Siglent to make the necessary changes to the recovery manual so users do not need to have the trouble you have.
All my stuff is Windows based so FAT32 by default so I never see such issues and I'm sorry you had to go through this. It wasn't until I checked the recovery manual I saw it was missing some vital info to give a simple and trouble free recovery.

Anyways, you're all fixed up now.  :)

I have the same problem with my brand new SDG1032X-->SDG1062 AWG. The upgrade worked, but now it freezes at start up, just showing the Siglent logo. The firmware version is 1.01.01.33R1B5. Any chance that I can get this USB recovery program in order to revive this nice piece of equipment. Thanks in advance for your help.

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1297 on: February 03, 2020, 07:28:44 pm »
Is there any way I can get schematics for spd3303 front panel board. I'd like to add an option to attenuate the brightness and/or turn off the display. Alternatively, could I get the pin number on the LCD connector for the backlight PWM? I'll have time in a few days to find it if not.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
Re: SDG 1032X bricked after firmware upgrade
« Reply #1298 on: February 03, 2020, 07:46:10 pm »
I have the same problem with my brand new SDG1032X-->SDG1062 AWG. The upgrade worked, but now it freezes at start up, just showing the Siglent logo. The firmware version is 1.01.01.33R1B5. Any chance that I can get this USB recovery program in order to revive this nice piece of equipment. Thanks in advance for your help.
Welcome to the forum.

Oh damn but we can get you going again.
Send me a personal message with your email.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1299 on: February 03, 2020, 08:01:43 pm »
Is there any way I can get schematics for spd3303 front panel board. I'd like to add an option to attenuate the brightness and/or turn off the display. Alternatively, could I get the pin number on the LCD connector for the backlight PWM? I'll have time in a few days to find it if not.
SPD3303X/X-E ?
Early firmware had a screensaver but the release notes don't make it clear which version removed it after criticism it was not required in a PSU or for TFT displays. Further, there was also an earlier GUI version that wasn't as informative as the current version so I don't recommend you roll back to earlier firmware to get the screensaver.
http://siglentna.com/wp-content/uploads/dlm_uploads/2018/02/SPD3303X-E-Firmware-Revise-History.pdf

I'll send a request for more display management options to be considered.

Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf