Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2813292 times)

BennoG, Gyro, alm and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #6175 on: April 27, 2018, 01:01:13 pm »
That is bad. :wtf:

I'd guess the crappy one is steel rather than phosphor bronze in the Jameco/Wisher.

I tested them with magnets. They should be stainless steel if they are steel.  :-DD

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6176 on: April 27, 2018, 01:26:27 pm »
That is bad. :wtf:

I'd guess the crappy one is steel rather than phosphor bronze in the Jameco/Wisher.

I tested them with magnets. They should be stainless steel if they are steel.  :-DD
Well, if it has to be steel, 5160* would be a better choice IMHO (HRC of 63 & can handle a lot of cycles). But for what it costs, you might as well use phosphor bronze.  :-DD

* Same stuff they make leaf springs on automobiles out of.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #6177 on: April 27, 2018, 09:12:26 pm »
A $3 bag of 45 degree N.O. Fan Sssshhhh  :-+

Main bench supply done only kicking in at 8A'ish+ so silence 98% of the time.

Thats a good idea.
I found them here if anyone else is interested:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-5pcs-KSD9700-45-50-55-60-65-70-75-80Degrees-Normal-open-Temperature-Controller/32788286857.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/KSD9700-250V-5A-Normally-Open-NO-Thermostat-Temperature-Thermal-Control-Switch-DegC-20-25-30-35/32801427417.html

They show in the diagram though that the leads are polarized, I wonder why that would matter?
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

The following users thanked this post: edavid

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #6178 on: April 27, 2018, 11:04:07 pm »
FWIW, based on manufacturer P/N's on Jameco's site, they're from Wisher, which makes decent products.  :)

Two months ago, when I bought a Raspberry Pi at an online shop in Australia, I bought two breadboards by the way. After I received them, I did some simple tests and found that they were completely useless garbage. So I went to Amazon and bought some Jameo's.

I have attached two pictures, you can see the difference between them!

The Jameco looks like it's been left out in our Aussie sun causing the Bromine to leach and turn it yellow - you might need to retr0bright it!  :-DD

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6179 on: April 27, 2018, 11:48:07 pm »
I bought one of those Jameco breadboards years ago. When I saw the color, I asked them if it was defective and was told that was the color they were supposed to be. Maybe it's supposed to be easier on the eyes or something, but I personally dislike the color yellow so I never bought any more.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #6180 on: April 28, 2018, 07:04:54 am »
FWIW, based on manufacturer P/N's on Jameco's site, they're from Wisher, which makes decent products.  :)

Two months ago, when I bought a Raspberry Pi at an online shop in Australia, I bought two breadboards by the way. After I received them, I did some simple tests and found that they were completely useless garbage. So I went to Amazon and bought some Jameo's.

Wow! I've never heard (nor seen) a breadboard with that much resistance. Yikes.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6181 on: April 28, 2018, 09:27:30 am »

Some of those jumpers in the 2nd row don't look like they are fully inserted to me. If so then thats certainly going to add to the resistance measured.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6182 on: April 28, 2018, 10:46:29 am »

Wow! I've never heard (nor seen) a breadboard with that much resistance. Yikes.
I have a smattering of various breadboards from China, plus a good 3M one.

Most of them have negligible contact resistance, but I found one or two Chinese ones that have something like 2 ohms resistance on a single contact row. That said, it’s often just a particular contact row that’s problematic. So a series resistance test as in these pics here might really just be showing a few failed rows, while most rows are actually just fine. This, in turn, could be due to poor manufacturing, or due to the cheap contacts being damaged by inserting oversize leads (like a TO-220 without twisting the legs). Quality breadboards are more resilient to such abuse, but not immune to it.

Online HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6183 on: April 28, 2018, 11:53:05 am »
They just arrived...
4 x Agilent 34401A all broken.
One was opened up by the previous owner, he gave up on the repair and put all parts in a box.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline chickenHeadKnob

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6184 on: April 28, 2018, 12:16:38 pm »
They just arrived...
4 x Agilent 34401A all broken.
One was opened up by the previous owner, he gave up on the repair and put all parts in a box.

You must have the worlds largest collection 34401's. Didn't you already have like 20 units? Reminds me of the Hunt brothers who tried to corner the silver market.   I forsee an intervention by your friends. :)

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6185 on: April 28, 2018, 12:37:27 pm »
Due to this imperialistic attitude, one could not find anything interesting in Germany, spread them around, will you   >:D

Cheers,
 DC1MC

Online HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6186 on: April 28, 2018, 05:16:47 pm »
One can never have enough 34401A's and they are easy to find in broken state.

And they are fun to repair, since all schematics are around.
The first one has somehow a broken display, like it is completely dead.
However, it works perfectly over GPIB.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6187 on: April 28, 2018, 07:33:08 pm »
Hummh HV, if they are so easy to find in broken state, could you share one place where one can easily find them in broken state, 'cause fleabay and kleinanzeigen for sure aren't one of these places  :-//.

Or maybe if there is so easy to get, you can divest yourself of one, for science you know  ;), I always wanted to make a display simulator, but my displays are working OK  :'(.

Cheers,
 DC1MC

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #6188 on: April 28, 2018, 08:50:25 pm »
It's hard to tell from one picture, but they seem to be in fair shape. Many of them are beaten to death or close to it. I like mine looking pretty, however futile and superficial that might be.

By the way, is something up with the forum? Many pages don't seem to load, like the unread posts page.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6189 on: April 28, 2018, 09:17:58 pm »
It's hard to tell from one picture, but they seem to be in fair shape. Many of them are beaten to death or close to it. I like mine looking pretty, however futile and superficial that might be.

By the way, is something up with the forum? Many pages don't seem to load, like the unread posts page.
Yes I'm having the same problem, the main index page is dead and the only way I can get access is by clicking on the link in an email notification of a reply to a subscribed thread, is this the same for you?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #6190 on: April 28, 2018, 09:49:36 pm »
Yes I'm having the same problem, the main index page is dead and the only way I can get access is by clicking on the link in an email notification of a reply to a subscribed thread, is this the same for you?
I can see the new replies to my posts, but many other pages are broken in the way you describe.

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #6191 on: April 29, 2018, 07:08:58 am »
A new chain, rear cluster gear set and new inner front chain ring for my road bike (with Shimano Ultegra Di2).
Boy getting a chain stretch gauge is expensive!
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Online PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6192 on: April 29, 2018, 11:14:04 am »
Fluke 80E 10kV divider with 1:1000 and 1:10000 outputs.
Accuracy of 0.01% and north of 28ºC this derates at only 2ppm/C , even so at a 10kV input, which at 10Mohms amounts to 10W. Resistors are wirewound not metal film so there must be a lot of good resistive wire inside
Teardown coming someday...

« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 11:38:17 am by MasterTech »

The following users thanked this post: TiN

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6193 on: April 29, 2018, 12:49:58 pm »
Got some of this stuff yesterday.

Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #6194 on: April 30, 2018, 09:47:16 am »
More Jameco breadboards.  :)

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6195 on: April 30, 2018, 11:51:00 am »
The cutest ever  ^-^  1EUR tubular hex key, M4/5/6/7 for those hex spacers and posts, resistor for size.

It also has a hole to wear it on your key chain or around your neck, let's see Dracula melt that  :-DD.

Cheers,
 DC1MC

Offline bob225

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6196 on: April 30, 2018, 02:06:58 pm »
The cutest ever  ^-^  1EUR tubular hex key, M4/5/6/7 for those hex spacers and posts, resistor for size.

It also has a hole to wear it on your key chain or around your neck, let's see Dracula melt that  :-DD.

Cheers,
 DC1MC

Thats a 1/8, 1/10 RC model tool, I have many of them from the kits I have build over the years, very useful indeed - But there's nothing like a proper nut driver to do the job

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #6197 on: April 30, 2018, 07:47:12 pm »
Just picked up an Amscope MU1000 camera for my Amscope SM-4T microscope.

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #6198 on: May 01, 2018, 06:14:33 am »
RPi3B+  :)

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6199 on: May 01, 2018, 08:44:51 am »
I bought myself a new PC build.  I'll update with photos when it arrives tomorrow or Thursday, but little expense spared.

Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb 8Pack 3666Mhz DDR4, NVidia GTX 1070Ti, Asus Crosshair VII Hero X470 Mobo, Samsung M.2_2 Mve 256Gb 3000MB/s SSD, Samsung 500Gb SATA SSD, Corsair 750W Gold PSU, Corsair H100 water cooler, Fractal Designs Define R6 case.

£1760 delivered.
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf