Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2807735 times)

trophosphere and 15 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Smoky

• Frequent Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #12750 on: December 23, 2023, 10:45:24 pm »
If those batteries were 12v's, I'm sure I could find a use for them. Those 6v's aren't a "starting" type of battery either, they are "deep-cycle" only.

I picked up three of his APC's. He said that they worked but the batteries are flat. I peeked inside of the one to the left (Smart UPS 900) and it has IC's dated from the early 1990's in it. They are all in great condition. The black one is a Back-UPS XS 1500 and still has the plastic wrapper over the bezel:

Since I have 4 POE security cameras at home, would any of these UPS's keep the DVR and cameras going for very long?

Online rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #12751 on: December 23, 2023, 10:54:11 pm »
A TI Travelmate 4000E 486DX2/50 was given to me, limping but at least POSTing.

Will have to do a thorough cap and battery rework before putting it to action...

https://youtu.be/Fqiv2_D1P8M
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Online shapirus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12752 on: December 23, 2023, 10:55:28 pm »
If those batteries were 12v's, I'm sure I could find a use for them.
12V = 6*2V, 6V = 3*2V, therefore, 12V = 2*6V.

Offline Fryguy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12753 on: December 23, 2023, 11:19:50 pm »
2 weeks ago i scored a Keithley 2000 in good condition , a Toellner 8751 PSU in perfect condition and a R&S NGPV 40/3 in very nice condition at a fleamarket - all 3 together 450€ .

The K2000 has no fails on the internal tests , no blown caps or earlier leakage signs , the front/rear switch is fine , FW A19 and is spot on except the ohms ranges - they are all reading 0.54% high - i think the current source needs a little attention . The Toellner PSU works 100% and the R&S unit seems to work fine too , but i have yet to check the exact numbers . . .   :-+

I also got me a new Siglent SDM3065X from the Batronix Advent calender sale on the 17th just for fun  :-DD
« Last Edit: December 23, 2023, 11:33:06 pm by Fryguy »
Born error amplifier  >.<

Offline wkb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12754 on: December 23, 2023, 11:36:45 pm »
You went to the Dortmunder Afumesse?

Offline Fryguy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12755 on: December 23, 2023, 11:48:26 pm »
 ;D   Did you sell me something ?  :-DD  The Toellner 8751 maybe . . . . that one was 100% ok - just needed a little calibration on both meters  :-DMM
« Last Edit: December 24, 2023, 12:18:34 am by Fryguy »
Born error amplifier  >.<

Offline Smoky

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12756 on: December 24, 2023, 12:03:09 am »
I was told to take this McIntosh with me too. It's a C28 Preamplifier. It has a face-plate which suffers from delamination on the backside that's fairly common, excellent shape otherwise. I think a new face-plate hovers around $250. Not sure if I'll get to this project. It visited the performance clinics in '78, '80. and 1982:

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #12757 on: December 24, 2023, 12:58:47 am »
The power supply is a QA300. I was not even able to find any article on it on Google. That's odd. I swear I have one. ;D
(I can take a picture of it if anyone's curious.)

Please do the pictures! You have a living piece of history! Okay, jokes aside, I'm a sucker for cute and obscure equipment.

Offline w.v.s.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12758 on: December 25, 2023, 02:52:13 pm »
This one. The tip shows a linear movement of approx. 1.8mm in total. With it, a core is moved in a coil with center contact. I think that should be part of an AC-bridge. Does anyone have some lock-in-amplifier like code for an arduino or similar that can help me to determine the position of that core?

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #12759 on: December 26, 2023, 12:00:18 am »
This one. The tip shows a linear movement of approx. 1.8mm in total. With it, a core is moved in a coil with center contact. I think that should be part of an AC-bridge. Does anyone have some lock-in-amplifier like code for an arduino or similar that can help me to determine the position of that core?

Cool Toy  :-+

This link shows a typical layout with an oscillator as part of it. The block diagram might get you started too. https://www.mitutoyo.com/webfoo/wp-content/uploads/Mu-Checker_2215-1.pdf

There is some detailed schematics for other brands out there but I haven't come across any for Mitutoyo.

Good luck with your Google Foo.

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline w.v.s.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12760 on: December 26, 2023, 11:06:04 am »

Cool Toy  :-+

This link shows a typical layout with an oscillator as part of it. The block diagram might get you started too. https://www.mitutoyo.com/webfoo/wp-content/uploads/Mu-Checker_2215-1.pdf

There is some detailed schematics for other brands out there but I haven't come across any for Mitutoyo.

Good luck with your Google Foo.

Thank you for the pdf and the good wishes! So far, my guessing was not bad. If you have a further links for detailed schematics at hand and would share them, I would be happy to have a look. I am wondering, if it is worth to open a thread and show what my oscilloscope will see at the output of the bridge or if this is of minor interest to others.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12761 on: December 26, 2023, 11:26:24 am »

Thank you for the pdf and the good wishes! So far, my guessing was not bad. If you have a further links for detailed schematics at hand and would share them, I would be happy to have a look. I am wondering, if it is worth to open a thread and show what my oscilloscope will see at the output of the bridge or if this is of minor interest to others.

You could try dropping Robin Renzetti (Member Robrenz) a PM he has done as much playing with the Starrett Brown and Sharpe amplifier that I can think off and might have some clues on the Mitutoyo?

Several other videos on his YouTube using the Amplifier so have a look around there as well.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2023, 11:29:14 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: w.v.s.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #12762 on: December 28, 2023, 12:46:01 am »
Since I have 4 POE security cameras at home, would any of these UPS's keep the DVR and cameras going for very long?

You can measure the usage, maybe 25W per cam and 50W for the NVR? So 160W total ish. 8hr on a 100Ah battery maybe?
If you plan to use them for a long time look into LiFePO4 12V batteries, they have come down in price. AFAIK they should work...

https://community.se.com/t5/APC-UPS-Data-Center-Enterprise/Upgrade-APC-Smart-UPS-1500-SUA1500i-to-LiFePo4/td-p/426747
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Online gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #12763 on: December 28, 2023, 12:53:48 pm »
A small spool of 0.5mm tinned copper wire.

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #12764 on: December 29, 2023, 01:45:12 am »
i swear that stuff is trash, I rather just strip wire. Always ends up oxidized and hard to solder. Maybe its good for production work but no way I would pay for that

I come across so many rolls of bare wire that were too corroded to use. it just causes problems and people asking 'why wont the soldering iron work??"

Online gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #12765 on: December 29, 2023, 04:13:24 am »
Razer Basilisk V3 X Hyperspeed gaming mouse for my son.

The power consumption of this mouse is a bit too high. It just killed a brand new Energizer alkaline battery in 20 days.  :--

Online gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #12766 on: December 29, 2023, 04:20:28 am »
i swear that stuff is trash, I rather just strip wire. Always ends up oxidized and hard to solder. Maybe its good for production work but no way I would pay for that

I come across so many rolls of bare wire that were too corroded to use. it just causes problems and people asking 'why wont the soldering iron work??"

I've been getting bare copper wire from CAT6 cables for the past few years and now I'm tired of the stripping process. I used tinned copper wire like this in the 20th century and the experience didn't seem that bad, maybe it wasn't stored long enough.

I'll report back once I find out it doesn't work well.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12767 on: December 29, 2023, 04:31:00 am »

I've been getting bare copper wire from CAT6 cables for the past few years and now I'm tired of the stripping process. I used tinned copper wire like this in the 20th century and the experience didn't seem that bad, maybe it wasn't stored long enough.

I think they have weird TCW in other countries!

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12768 on: December 29, 2023, 05:02:32 am »
Public service announcement

Time to be prepared now Christmas is done. Only Three shopping months until Easter  :palm:

Back to getting freight and customs brokerage quotes for a 1x1x1.3m 500kg crate  >:D

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, Dan123456

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #12769 on: December 29, 2023, 08:26:51 am »

you usually come across a roll thats corroded, 90% intact and then when you wanna replace it for 100$ its like no metal does not go bad.

I don't even wanna buy it commercially for a lab, for the sake of the future. Only in a factory.

honestly, store it in a container with some dessicant. Better yet, wind a small spool and store the rest with oxygen absorbers and dessicant in a vacuum bag.

Like literarly at work I can see you having to incorporate it into a procedure for doing whatever, then like 5 years later someone talks crap about your work when they try it because they still have tons of the stuff.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2023, 08:29:29 am by coppercone2 »

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #12770 on: December 29, 2023, 09:53:01 am »
Electric and Musical Industries also referred to as EMI Records Ltd
had this made in Japan - sold to Australia in 1975 - 1977 under the His Master's Voice brand.
as a AM/FM radio with clock & compact cassette recorder. battery or AC power
4 x D cell  also 1 C cell for the clock.
the His Master's Voice badge is missing from the case.
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12771 on: December 29, 2023, 10:14:41 am »
Public service announcement

Time to be prepared now Christmas is done. Only Three shopping months until Easter  :palm:

Back to getting freight and customs brokerage quotes for a 1x1x1.3m 500kg crate  >:D

those are available all year round by me, been taking packs of them, and putting bacon in them as a nice snack.

Offline Haenk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12772 on: December 29, 2023, 12:32:07 pm »
A couple days late, but I gifted myself a Denon DVD-A1XV for christmas. Fully working, perfect condition, with remote and stuff. Happily spent 100 EUR for it.
Will replace my DVD-3930.

Online RAPo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12773 on: December 29, 2023, 03:32:12 pm »
I've bought a GRIFEMA Monitor stand for my DHO942s.

Online RAPo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12774 on: December 29, 2023, 03:34:16 pm »
And  a Ruoshui 4091C Lcr Meter

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf