Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2812761 times)

WatchfulEye and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #4125 on: October 01, 2017, 10:20:55 pm »
Bought some new flux to try from Amazon - M G Chemicals Flux Paste. Supposed to be as good as Amtech stuff but heck, it's not cheap.
It is good, I use it but it does leave a nasty sticky residue that really takes a lot of cleaning with IPA unless someone knows a better way of cleaning it up. I know it says "No clean" but it doesnt look nice if you leave it behind afterwards and just attracts dust etc to stick to it which cannot be a good thing can it.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: ChrisLX200

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4126 on: October 01, 2017, 10:25:43 pm »
Just won on Ebay a nice nixie tube meter that I was not initially drawn to until I noticed that it not only reads up to 1G ohms but also has dedicated uA and nA ranges as well so nicely extends my measuring capabilities.  :-+ 
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline ChrisLX200

• Supporter
« Reply #4127 on: October 01, 2017, 10:56:06 pm »
Bought some new flux to try from Amazon - M G Chemicals Flux Paste. Supposed to be as good as Amtech stuff but heck, it's not cheap.
It is good, I use it but it does leave a nasty sticky residue that really takes a lot of cleaning with IPA unless someone knows a better way of cleaning it up. I know it says "No clean" but it doesnt look nice if you leave it behind afterwards and just attracts dust etc to stick to it which cannot be a good thing can it.

Agreed. I would make the effort to remove any residue regardless even if only for aesthetic reasons.

I do have an issue with these syringe applicators, not too easy to control the flow. I'll have to make/buy some sort of dispensing device which offers more precision. Do you know if this stuff reacts with any metals or seal materials directly? I could use stainless steel to make a reservoir and perhaps Viton or PTFE seals in a pump mechanism. There must be a commercial applicator but I'm guessing it would be a prohibitive price for hobby use..

ChrisH

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4128 on: October 01, 2017, 11:05:33 pm »
Agreed. I would make the effort to remove any residue regardless even if only for aesthetic reasons.

I do have an issue with these syringe applicators, not too easy to control the flow. I'll have to make/buy some sort of dispensing device which offers more precision. Do you know if this stuff reacts with any metals or seal materials directly? I could use stainless steel to make a reservoir and perhaps Viton or PTFE seals in a pump mechanism. There must be a commercial applicator but I'm guessing it would be a prohibitive price for hobby use..

ChrisH
I don't know about that, it is dispensed via a stainless steel tube so that is OK. The label states serious eye injury will result from getting in your eyes and also suggests that it is corrosive on skin. I suppose that once soldered with, the corrosive element is used up or neutralised by the reaction of heat and solder? I notice that a lot of the Youtube content creators use a flux that is almost liquid, this one is a paste. 
Who let Murphy in?

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4129 on: October 01, 2017, 11:14:18 pm »
The MSDS for the 8341 flux paste only lists a couple of glycol ethers which are not very aggressive solvents. It's notable that they don't use any alcohol, but that may be part of the reason it's a paste and not a thin, runny liquid.

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #4130 on: October 02, 2017, 01:55:15 am »
Just won on Ebay a nice nixie tube meter that I was not initially drawn to until I noticed that it not only reads up to 1G ohms but also has dedicated uA and nA ranges as well so nicely extends my measuring capabilities.  :-+

Very nice! I have one of these, it's a classic.
VE7FM

Offline Jay_Diddy_B

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4131 on: October 02, 2017, 02:07:41 am »
Hi group,

I didn't buy it today, but I got it last week. I obtained a Rode & Schwartz FSH3 Hand Held Spectrum Analyzer from eBay.

The datasheet can be found here:

https://cdn.rohde-schwarz.com/pws/dl_downloads/dl_common_library/dl_brochures_and_datasheets/pdf_1/FSH_dat_en.pdf

There are three models of the FSH3.

The .03 has the preamplifier
The .13 has the tracking generator
The .23 has both the generator and tracking generator.

There is a teardown and repair video (The Signal Path) of another unit here:

I had bought another FSH3.23 and attempted repair. The repair is documented here:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/repair-rohde-shwarz-fsh3-portable-spectrum-analyzer/

I had limited success with the repair.

1) fixed the 30V power supply, as documented in the thread.
2) I fixed the RF module, this is not documented. But it was a 3.3 Ohm resistor that was open circuit which prevent -5V from getting to the ADC driver.
3) The main board had an issue that the contrast adjustment was broken
4) The LCD module was damaged.
5) The LCD module is khs057qv1cr-g01. The one in the unit has 22 pin connector. I did find some displays with the same part number but they had a 16 pin connector.

I was trolling eBay for a couple of years before a suitable unit showed up.

Here is a picture from the eBay listing:

And some detailed pictures:

One of the previous owners must have damaged the screen. They cut the center out of the screen and replaced just the center.  :D

I asked R&S for the prices on some parts. I got $360.00 USD for the plastic window and $1150.00 for the LCD module  :palm: These are approximate conversions from Canadian dollars.

I took the RF section and the case from the from the first unit that I bought and used the main board and display from the eBay unit.
I now have a very nice unit.

I am using the tracking generator to measure the frequency response of a mini-circuits 10.7MHz low pass filter.

Regards,

Jay_Diddy_B

« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 02:13:16 am by Jay_Diddy_B »

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #4132 on: October 02, 2017, 02:18:36 am »

I take a simple alcohol wipe and work it on the board with an old tooth brush.  Cleans up pretty good for me.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

The following users thanked this post: Richard Crowley

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #4133 on: October 02, 2017, 04:16:20 am »
This morning I received my most expensive package, everything is custom except the solder paste.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4134 on: October 02, 2017, 04:54:43 am »

I take a simple alcohol wipe and work it on the board with an old tooth brush.  Cleans up pretty good for me.
I do that already but I find parts of the wipe left on the component ends and other bits and bobs. :wtf:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4135 on: October 02, 2017, 08:01:00 am »

Sounds like fun :) In Germany ants are not that often. Found once some in the woods: https://goo.gl/photos/Xd2BzshRVVme1f9L8

but they were on the list of endangered species (they are probably Formica polyctena), so I couldn't take some for my ant farm, and they need winter rest as well, which would be boring.

I think I live about 1.5km from you and my garden is teaming with ants. You can come around and collect them any time you want :D

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline fcb

• Super Contributor
  • Test instrument designer/G1YWC
    • Electron Plus
« Reply #4136 on: October 02, 2017, 09:33:31 am »
This morning I received my most expensive package, everything is custom except the solder paste.

The membrane keypad - did you get just one made? Was it expensive?

I've got another project that needs a membrane keypad here - but they are so expensive to get made in the UK.
https://electron.plus Power Analysers, VI Signature Testers, Voltage References, Picoammeters, Curve Tracers.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #4137 on: October 02, 2017, 09:37:49 am »

I do that already but I find parts of the wipe left on the component ends and other bits and bobs. :wtf:
Have a look at the lint free pads that member Defpom uses ~10mins in:

Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4138 on: October 02, 2017, 01:39:44 pm »

Have a look at the lint free pads that member Defpom uses ~10mins in:

I asked him what he uses and got 3 packs from Banggood and they are good but not that good, still leave some fibres on the joints and the toothbrush still slides around on them. Somehow Defpom seems able to make the brush cling to the cleaning pad, I can't. [emoji53]

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Who let Murphy in?

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #4139 on: October 02, 2017, 07:57:11 pm »
Received today:

- 2x AD588BQ
- 10x Styroflex capacitors, 2,2µF / 100V

bought here:
AD588BQ: http://www.ebay.com/itm/182764566859
Styroflex cap: http://www.ebay.com/itm/182755197845

Picture:
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #4140 on: October 02, 2017, 08:26:12 pm »

The membrane keypad - did you get just one made? Was it expensive?

I've got another project that needs a membrane keypad here - but they are so expensive to get made in the UK.
I'm interested in some more information too.

Offline Rbastler

• Frequent Contributor
  • Wörk Wörk
    • Rbastlers Blog
« Reply #4141 on: October 02, 2017, 08:33:55 pm »
Received today:

- 2x AD588BQ
- 10x Styroflex capacitors, 2,2µF / 100V

bought here:
AD588BQ: http://www.ebay.com/itm/182764566859
Styroflex cap: http://www.ebay.com/itm/182755197845

Picture:

After seeing some people getting AD588, I bought some too, from China, for around 3€ a piece. I'm curious to find out if they are fakes or not.
http://www.ebay.de/itm/1PCS-High-Precision-Voltage-Reference-IC-ANALOG-DEVICES-CDIP-16-AD588AD/272620322915
http://rbastlerblog.jimdo.com/
Gamma spectrometer works. Now some yellow crystals need regenerating and testing.

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #4142 on: October 02, 2017, 09:13:03 pm »
Just ordered a new wireless keyboard and mouse for my WorkshopPi.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4143 on: October 02, 2017, 10:58:03 pm »
A bunch of electronics chemicals:
  • Kontakt LR (Contact PC) flux remover (what I’ve normally used, but it’s the most expensive)
  • Techspray E-Line flux remover/general cleaner
  • Kontakt LS general cleaner
  • Kontakt WS general cleaner
  • 99.7% IPA
I know that these overlap in function significantly, but I wanted to try them out and see how they compare. (I’m open to tips/experiences if you have anything to share!)

and
  • Kontakt 61 contact lubricant/protector (I made the mistake in the past of just getting the Kontakt 60 cleaner, not knowing that it needs to be rinsed off with Kontakt WL and then protected with Kontakt 61.)

I also grabbed:
  • twin-lead wire ferrules
  • an assortment of 5x20mm fuses (German-made, not crap)
  • Sn62/Pb36/Ag2 silver-bearing solder
  • some precision current shunt resistors for modifying INA226 modules

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #4144 on: October 03, 2017, 08:17:35 am »
It was about $200CNY for 10 pcs, I think.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #4145 on: October 03, 2017, 09:28:22 am »
Bits and bobs, some sold, some stock and some to keep.

4x Differential probes 25 and 50 MHz
8 KV 1000:1 40 MHz scope probe
Kelvin clip 4 wire lead to Banana plug assembly.....don't like how stiff the leads are. Grrr
50 Ohm 1:1 BNC 2 GHz 2W feed though
3x 300 MHz 100:1 scope probes with readout pin

« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 09:46:44 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #4146 on: October 04, 2017, 12:11:01 am »
It was about $200CNY for 10 pcs, I think.
Is that $200 or 200CNY? Can you tell a little more about the how, where and when?

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #4147 on: October 04, 2017, 12:27:59 am »
I would be surprised if its 200RMB, thats about $40. Unless of course the factory already had that style and the only custom part was the screen printing.

I did some custom membranes from China, two buttons and two LEDs, most of the cost was NRE:
- Tooling $312 USD
- Membranes $207 for 300pc
- Shipping $80

Rated as waterproof and had adhesive backing + reinforced carbon connections. Without the LEDs, price could probably be halved.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #4148 on: October 04, 2017, 03:01:45 am »
It was 250CNY, my younger brother ordered it for me on Taobao, he lives in China.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4149 on: October 04, 2017, 04:28:24 am »
Received today:

USB floppy drive
Compact Flash to IDE adapter
AD584LH Voltage Reference Board

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf