Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2810431 times)

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #3700 on: August 02, 2017, 07:23:47 pm »
I just ordered a really cheap X-Y table, which appears to be a (Shenzhen) LiYang 6300. (their cheapest)

http://www.usbearth.cn/product/60645441688-219344457/Miniature_precision_LY6300_multifunction_Milling_Machine_Bench_drill_Vise_Fixture_worktable_X_Y_axis_adjustment_Coordinate_table.html

I'm likely going to need to get some new clamps for it, the "clamps" it comes with look really low quality (but a relatively cheap upgrade) 

Some images below. Its aluminum, not steel.

It looks a lot like the Proxxon.

Since they look so similar, I wouldnt be surprised if LiYang was the OEM for Proxonn's x-y table, if so the exact match to the proxxon (have no idea if thats the case)  would likely be one of the nicer 63xx models)

This is their ultra cheapie so likely its not built to the same degree of care.

There are a lot of US vendors for this product (under a lot of different names) and the reviews seem mixed, but generally positive.

I'm on a really tight budget right now and just can't afford to spend more.

This will help me do the #1 thing I want to do- make it easier to drill via holes in straight lines at not too imprecise intervals in PCBs and drill holes in cases for my misc. devices in the right spots.

Any ability to "drill sideways" will be gravy.

I'm not really expecting to be able to do that with such an inexpensive device.

---

So this arrived and it has a few issues.. the handles for this model are solid aluminum and dont swivel, which makes it harder to crank. And the back cover over the gears is a pronlem, its binding..

Little mill has potential, though.

But this one is going back..not as pictured.  I may buy the upgrade model, if its built stronger.  It fits my drill perfectly.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 04:51:26 am by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #3701 on: August 02, 2017, 08:48:39 pm »
  Quote from: MosherIV on July 21, 2017, 12:42:08 PM

Some solder

And a rare sighting of a glass CRT TV still in use. Yay CRTs! I like them too. The last of the actually maintainable video displays

:(
Sadly that CRT TV died today  :--

Looks like the vertical scan is not working, just get a bright horizontal line across the screen.

Looking at getting new LCD flatscreen. If anybody in uk want the old tv, let me know

Too bad, you aren't local to me, I would give you a perfectly good working RCA 27" CRT TV.  :-+ 
Another note, I didn't buy it but my son gave me a cheap Dynex 32" LCD TV.  He was going to put it out because the sound stopped working and just replaced it.  I was going to crack it open but I decided to use it as a monitor on my workbench.  The space I lose is worth it for my tired old eyes, I had a 22" monitor.  No need to worry about lack of sound.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3702 on: August 02, 2017, 09:18:59 pm »
Helped with your eyesight and kept it out of a landfill... Nice.  :-+

Do your furry kids watch TV? If so, you could give them the 27" CRT TV.  :o  ;D

Offline Bendba

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3703 on: August 03, 2017, 03:50:21 am »
Was the HP 1600A HP's (and possibly world's) second logic analyzer? No, it was third, after the HP 1601A, obviously. Still, a nice piece of history.

No, it  is not but still a nice piece a gear. I'll see if it still works when I get back home.

Another nice piece of history is the Tektronix 175 current adapter for the 575 curve tracer. Unfortunately, the curve tracer wasn't there. I hope to find one I can afford one day.
Stop dreaming your life, start leaving your dreams.

The following users thanked this post: vk6zgo

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #3704 on: August 03, 2017, 04:32:16 am »
I was a bit concerned that I might wind up bidding against someone here, but as I'd seen no mention of it on the forum decided to take a crack at it and sniped with a relatively low bid.  I was hoping that because the guy is a noob (feedback in the teens IIRC) that some might be dissuaded from bidding, reducing the potential (fa-dum-bum - it's a voltmeter, get it?  ;) ) competition. 
(Yeah, I know, that was horrible.   :palm: )

Yep, I was thinking the same things. The reason we didn't collide was that it was being shipped via USPS, which would have cost about double the price of the meter (it's not even leaving the country! :palm:). USPS is usually not the way to go for anything bigger than will fit in a flat-rate box.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #3705 on: August 03, 2017, 06:36:54 am »
ANENG AN8008

passed the lab CAT sniff test. smells like Shenzhen.
good little DMM for my low voltage work.  thanks Dave for pointing it out. :-+
the accessories alone are worth the cost of it. ;D
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

Offline kalel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3706 on: August 03, 2017, 07:13:06 am »
Congrats. Enjoy the meter. :)

« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 08:11:22 am by kalel »

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Data Precision 585
« Reply #3707 on: August 03, 2017, 07:43:01 am »
I have no idea why I bid on this. No one else did, so now it's mine. According to the paperwork that was included, it left the factory in 1980 and it's rather crusty but does work. The battery pack was starting to corrode, but nothing else was damaged, so I just removed it. It has a really nice manual with full schematics, block diagrams, timing logic flow charts, etc.

Offline Falkra

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3708 on: August 03, 2017, 07:53:43 am »
I have no idea why I bid on this. No one else did, so now it's mine.
Don't worry, that's (in fact) common here... you just couldn't let it go !  ;)

Offline grumpydoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3709 on: August 03, 2017, 08:40:51 am »
I have no idea why I bid on this. No one else did, so now it's mine. According to the paperwork that was included, it left the factory in 1980 and it's rather crusty but does work. The battery pack was starting to corrode, but nothing else was damaged, so I just removed it. It has a really nice manual with full schematics, block diagrams, timing logic flow charts, etc.

Neat.

It seems to have an over optimistic number of digits though.

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3710 on: August 03, 2017, 08:43:52 am »

Nice little counter, especially since it is battery powered.
May be you can show us the inside.

It reminds me of a small counter from Philips but that one needed mains power.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3711 on: August 03, 2017, 08:46:43 am »
I have no idea why I bid on this. No one else did, so now it's mine.

It's so you could share with us, of course. Thanks! I haven't seen a counter from them before. Looking forward to the tear down. :-+

Offline Gary350z

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3712 on: August 03, 2017, 12:34:26 pm »
the TV started making buzzing noises, then there was a loud pop and everything went dead except the power LED. It was almost certainly a bad cap in the power supply, but the TV was 7 years old and only 37" at 1360x768, so I took a shower, got in the truck and headed to Walmart.
Covered with capacitor electrolyte. :scared:  ;)

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #3713 on: August 03, 2017, 01:23:04 pm »
Helped with your eyesight and kept it out of a landfill... Nice.  :-+

Do your furry kids watch TV? If so, you could give them the 27" CRT TV.  :o  ;D

The 27" is going to Good Will this weekend after my ham radio club board meeting.  I was planning to just put it out on the curb because it will disappear fast, but the afternoon rains have been a bitch.  The office assistants do watch some TV but they prefer the big flat screen in the living room.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3714 on: August 03, 2017, 02:06:48 pm »
The office assistants do watch some TV but they prefer the big flat screen in the living room.
You've spoiled them! :o  :-DD Oh, and good job for that; after all, they're just like kids, only covered with fur and walk on all fours.  ;D

Offline Pseudobyte

• Frequent Contributor
  • Embedded Systems Engineer / PCB Designer
« Reply #3715 on: August 03, 2017, 02:36:48 pm »
I caved and finally bought a Saleae logic analyzer. I can't wait to get this baby in the mail, so pumped. https://www.adafruit.com/product/2313 <-- I actually bought it direct from Saleae with the  10% student discount they offer.
“They Don’t Think It Be Like It Is, But It Do”

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #3716 on: August 03, 2017, 03:39:42 pm »
I was a bit concerned that I might wind up bidding against someone here, but as I'd seen no mention of it on the forum decided to take a crack at it and sniped with a relatively low bid.  I was hoping that because the guy is a noob (feedback in the teens IIRC) that some might be dissuaded from bidding, reducing the potential (fa-dum-bum - it's a voltmeter, get it?  ;) ) competition. 
(Yeah, I know, that was horrible.   :palm: )

Yep, I was thinking the same things. The reason we didn't collide was that it was being shipped via USPS, which would have cost about double the price of the meter (it's not even leaving the country! :palm:). USPS is usually not the way to go for anything bigger than will fit in a flat-rate box.

I must be closer to him, then, as the shipping for me was a bit less than $14.  That is definitely something I consider, though, and on something like this will figure it's worth $XX to me, so my max bid will be $XX-shipping.  IIRC I decided my limit on this one was about $45, so I'm happy with the outcome.  It left Pittsburgh two days ago, and is currently enroute and in limbo as far as USPS tracking is concerned.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline plazma

• Frequent Contributor
    • Homepage
« Reply #3717 on: August 03, 2017, 03:57:57 pm »
Received my AN8008. I'll modify the tempererature probe option and check if extra buttons can be added as in the AN8002.

Offline Zbig

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3718 on: August 03, 2017, 05:36:56 pm »
BF-2A battery testing fixture. No more sticking batteries into mini vise between two coins to do some load or charge tests :-+ It allows for a true Kelvin connection with proper pogo pins for voltage sensing. Impressive build quality, too.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3719 on: August 03, 2017, 06:27:44 pm »
I must be closer to him, then, as the shipping for me was a bit less than $14.

Yes, proximity has its advantages. Anyway, I'd feel bad if I had been bidding against you. So, it's all good.

It left Pittsburgh two days ago, and is currently enroute and in limbo as far as USPS tracking is concerned.

Ah, the waiting. LOL!

Offline alexanderbrevig

• Frequent Contributor
  • Musician, developer and EE hobbyist
    • alexanderbrevig.com
« Reply #3720 on: August 03, 2017, 06:45:15 pm »
I bought some vintage patent metal prints!
I got the 67.5cm x 48cm versions. They will pimp up my "lab"/office :)

I also got a USB-RS485 dongle for playing with some DMX, and a lattice iCEstick just because I've been wanting to try the iCEcube2 and I like stuff happening. Not only simulating.

See attachments for posters.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 06:48:09 pm by alexanderbrevig »

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #3721 on: August 03, 2017, 06:50:36 pm »
The office assistants do watch some TV but they prefer the big flat screen in the living room.
You've spoiled them! :o  :-DD Oh, and good job for that; after all, they're just like kids, only covered with fur and walk on all fours.  ;D

The TV was an epic fail.  Neither Hospice thrift or Habitat for Humanity thrift stores wanted it, they only take flat screen TVs :wtf:.  Fine, it's on the curb.  We have scavengers going through the sub division regularly so it will be gone quickly. 

Hey, I don't mind that they watch TV, but they get into the pantry and steal all the good snacks |O

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #3722 on: August 03, 2017, 06:51:48 pm »
I must be closer to him, then, as the shipping for me was a bit less than $14.

Yes, proximity has its advantages. Anyway, I'd feel bad if I had been bidding against you. So, it's all good.

As I would have had the situation been reversed.  I'm glad it worked out for the best.   :-DD

It left Pittsburgh two days ago, and is currently enroute and in limbo as far as USPS tracking is concerned.

Ah, the waiting. LOL!

Yep.  If only the things we buy could get to us as fast as the resulting credit card bills seem to!  Though at the same time, it's amazing how much our expectations have increased.  I remember ordering things back in the late 70s as a kid - fill out the order form, get a parent to write a check for you, mail it off and wait.  And wait..  And wait...  Typically at least two weeks, as I recall.  Seeing a UPS truck on the road in a residential area was a rarity.  These days, NOT seeing one is almost unheard of.  Along with two flavors of FedEx, too.  And as for two weeks, now it's more like "What do you mean it's going to take FIVE DAYS to get here?!?!??!"    :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:  "I want it NOW!!!"

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3723 on: August 03, 2017, 09:53:04 pm »
I bought some vintage patent metal prints!
I got the 67.5cm x 48cm versions. They will pimp up my "lab"/office :)

Those are neat. Definitely good decor for the lab.

The following users thanked this post: alexanderbrevig

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3724 on: August 03, 2017, 09:54:43 pm »
I remember ordering things back in the late 70s as a kid - fill out the order form, get a parent to write a check for you, mail it off and wait.  And wait..  And wait...

Especially for those cereal box goodies. Oh my, those took forever and a day! Kids today don't know how good they have it. :-DD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf