Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2819720 times)

OZ1LQB and 31 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #6050 on: April 05, 2018, 08:25:32 pm »
Nice pics, but you would benefit from fitting a light ring to the microscope body if possible, to remove the uneven lighting, which model of microscope is it that you have?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6051 on: April 05, 2018, 08:28:25 pm »
Nice pics, but you would benefit from fitting a light ring to the microscope body if possible, to remove the uneven lighting, which model of microscope is it that you have?

The Andonstar M201.

I like the uneven light for photos, but the little stalk LEDs can be a bit annoying when working under it, moving the board around etc.

I might consider an LED ring light.
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6052 on: April 05, 2018, 08:29:50 pm »
Do the boards work ok now you've re-flowed them?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6053 on: April 05, 2018, 08:34:06 pm »

This was the second of this board.  "Flow" rather than "Reflow", but both worked first time.  I know I probably should have reflowed and realigned the PCM chip, but I got lazy and didn't want to stress it.  I tested each pin with a multi-meter and plugged it into the PC USB port.  Worked straight away like the first one.
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6054 on: April 05, 2018, 08:36:15 pm »

This was the second of this board.  "Flow" rather than "Reflow", but both worked first time.  I know I probably should have reflowed and realigned the PCM chip, but I got lazy and didn't want to stress it.  I tested each pin with a multi-meter and plugged it into the PC USB port.  Worked straight away like the first one.
What did you use, a hot air gun or an oven?

From mobile device so predictive text might have struck again [emoji83]

Who let Murphy in?

Online paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6055 on: April 05, 2018, 08:52:19 pm »
What did you use, a hot air gun or an oven?

Hot air with an 898D clone.  Seems to work quite well, but anything plastic or that sinks heat I tend to do with the iron, like jack/dc sockets, SMD electrolytics etc.  I found the plastic would sometimes melt before it flowed properly.  For the SMD jacks I spread paste on the pins but then touched the iron to them instead.

Offline frozenfrogz

• Frequent Contributor
  • Having fun with Arduino and Raspberry Pi
« Reply #6056 on: April 06, 2018, 05:12:00 pm »
My auction win arrived today :)

Vision Mantis Elite V2 with x15 optics.
I ordered a x4 so I should be set for both SMD soldering and inspection in the future. Loving it so far! Very crisp image and I am astonished at how well the LED lighting works. Brightness is very even and just right.
The x15 optics has some minor scratches on the bottom side, but this does not seem to affect the image. As you can see it came complete with the anti-reflection hood (very handy with a window near by).
We’ll see how the multi-purpose arm plays along, should be good with lower magnification - the short focal area of the 15x is a bit more picky, but maybe I just need to tweak the spring settings of the arm a little.
 :-+
He’s like a trained ape. Without the training.

Offline HecticZA

• Contributor
« Reply #6057 on: April 06, 2018, 05:45:17 pm »
My auction win arrived today :)

Vision Mantis Elite V2 with x15 optics.
I ordered a x4 so I should be set for both SMD soldering and inspection in the future. Loving it so far! Very crisp image and I am astonished at how well the LED lighting works. Brightness is very even and just right.
The x15 optics has some minor scratches on the bottom side, but this does not seem to affect the image. As you can see it came complete with the anti-reflection hood (very handy with a window near by).
We’ll see how the multi-purpose arm plays along, should be good with lower magnification - the short focal area of the 15x is a bit more picky, but maybe I just need to tweak the spring settings of the arm a little.
 :-+
Congrats!
I also got a very cheap little G600 scope, but after seeing the toys you and Paulca aquired, it is not even worth calling it a microscope.
:D

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6058 on: April 06, 2018, 06:17:16 pm »
I bought one of these Orico drive docks last month and just got around to checking it out. It seems to work fine, not bad for $22 (shipping included). I also got a Rosewill external 2.5" drive enclosure for $9.99 at the same time. No problems there either.

Offline frozenfrogz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6059 on: April 06, 2018, 06:19:51 pm »
The G600 isn’t half bad as a soldering aid :) Considering bang for the buck it is very useful IMO. I would choose that over any USB microscope hands down. There is nothing worse than having to solder with screen lag from low data rate over USB.

Offline HecticZA

• Contributor
« Reply #6060 on: April 06, 2018, 06:27:35 pm »
The G600 isn’t half bad as a soldering aid :) Considering bang for the buck it is very useful IMO. I would choose that over any USB microscope hands down. There is nothing worse than having to solder with screen lag from low data rate over USB.
Yeah, at the moment it is sufficient for me. Due to Diabetes my eyesight is pretty poor and it helps a lot with regards to the smaller stuff. I haven't soldered anything really small with it yet. I'm waiting for a small practice board with some smd components, but that will only arrive in another two months or so.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #6061 on: April 07, 2018, 02:17:47 am »
I bought one of these Orico drive docks last month and just got around to checking it out. It seems to work fine, not bad for $22 (shipping included). I also got a Rosewill external 2.5" drive enclosure for $9.99 at the same time. No problems there either.

I like that, I can actually use one of them.  I will have to crack open the piggy bank.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline frozenfrogz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6062 on: April 07, 2018, 09:17:01 am »
I can now complete my little robot using the Pi, still needs tracks printing though and waiting on delivery of more bearings (4 each side and I ran out). I want to add a camera too.

Out of curiosity: Are you printing tracks from flex filament or interlinked solid parts? I remember having both options on some LEGO models back in the day and I always loved the look and feel from the interlinking ones. From the sturdiness and printability side I guess flex filament is the sane option but it is not as cool :)

Offline ChrisLX200

• Supporter
« Reply #6063 on: April 07, 2018, 10:22:01 am »
I can now complete my little robot using the Pi, still needs tracks printing though and waiting on delivery of more bearings (4 each side and I ran out). I want to add a camera too.

Out of curiosity: Are you printing tracks from flex filament or interlinked solid parts? I remember having both options on some LEGO models back in the day and I always loved the look and feel from the interlinking ones. From the sturdiness and printability side I guess flex filament is the sane option but it is not as cool :)

Tracks made from solid links - 33 per side :) Held together with a length of 1.75mm PETG through each.

The following users thanked this post: djos

Offline frozenfrogz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6064 on: April 07, 2018, 10:46:38 am »
Neat!  :-+

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #6065 on: April 07, 2018, 03:35:27 pm »

Tracks made from solid links - 33 per side :) Held together with a length of 1.75mm PETG through each.

Awesome! Looks like serious fun. :-+
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Online PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6066 on: April 08, 2018, 07:41:55 am »
I got a Haefely Partial Discharge measurement unit, that as a plus comes with a Tektronix 5110 scope in it.
If i can get it to work I will use it in medium voltage experiments.

Offline hscade

• Contributor
« Reply #6067 on: April 08, 2018, 10:31:15 am »
Some cartridges for my Metcal MX5000

Offline hussamaldean

• Supporter
« Reply #6068 on: April 08, 2018, 06:55:48 pm »
Pro's Kit 3 1/2 Digital LCR Multimeter

Offline BFX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6069 on: April 08, 2018, 10:15:30 pm »
Few of those N type connector covers 8)

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #6070 on: April 09, 2018, 07:01:39 am »
Arrived today and punished a bit. 180W DC load. Has some limitations but suck per buck is great. I also got its baby 35w brother which is a good bench toy.

Big one has no remote sense so I broke out the 10AWG gold test leads  8) 0.15V drop at 15A including connections will be fine for most jobs. 84 degrees was the most it got to so it could be pushed toward 200w I guess.

Snap of typical test leads against the heavy ones. Nearly 2v drop at 15A on them.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 07:15:28 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: Inverted18650

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6071 on: April 09, 2018, 07:30:06 am »
Arrived today and punished a bit. 180W DC load. Has some limitations but suck per buck is great. I also got its baby 35w brother which is a good bench toy.

Big one has no remote sense so I broke out the 10AWG gold test leads  8) 0.15V drop at 15A including connections will be fine for most jobs. 84 degrees was the most it got to so it could be pushed toward 200w I guess.

Snap of typical test leads against the heavy ones. Nearly 2v drop at 15A on them.
If those smaller leads are 18ga I'm not surprised as they are rated at 7A maximum capacity.

Who let Murphy in?

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #6072 on: April 09, 2018, 07:47:29 am »
Nothing on the outside of my standard test leads but I am sure the molded plugs won't be helping either. I wouldn't push them beyond 5A on most of my bench stuff. I have a bunch of shorter test/charge 10-12 AWG leads from Model Aircraft use.

I would have preferred to jump into a better quality load with more bells and whistles but this one for brute force with some extra meters doing the readings will do me for now.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6073 on: April 09, 2018, 03:33:50 pm »
It* struck me once again..

Acquired an HP 34401A DMM today.
Do I really need it? I guess, no.   :palm:   :-DD

I'm now looking for the space to fit it in ..somewhere between my HP 3457A, my three HP 3456A, my Philips 2534 and my Philips 2535..   :scared:

---
*- TEA  :)
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #6074 on: April 09, 2018, 03:38:54 pm »
It* struck me once again..

Acquired an HP 34401A DMM today.
Do I really need it? I guess, no.   :palm:   :-DD

I'm now looking for the space to fit it in ..somewhere between my HP 3457A, my three HP 3456A, my Philips 2534 and my Philips 2535..   :scared:

---
*- TEA  :)
It seems to be raining 34401As on the forums lately.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf