Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2812156 times)

Ground_Loop and 11 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #6300 on: May 06, 2018, 10:50:36 pm »
Bearing bad news - «Etwas belastendes mitschleppen».
In Finnish, the equivalent is pahanilmanlintu, or "bird of a bad weather".  They used to call bad news jobinpostia, "post from Job", a reference to the old testament in the bible.

Closer to topic, Finnish still uses kuningas for King. The root for king is hypothesized to be kuningaz in proto-Germanic languages. The word that icorresponds to "boss" in Finnish is "pomo", from the Russian помощник (pomóšnik), which actually translates to assistant or helper. (Finnish is neither Germanic or Slavic language, by the way; these are both loan words.)

Languages evolve weird, and I do not think linguists and etymologists have any kind of firm grasp on exactly how, yet. The twists and turns (especially single loan words) depend so much on the instant cultural situation (the context attached to the words at the moment of adoption?), and even individuals.

I didn't buy anything today, too poor; but, I've noticed that ordering stuff from eBay (from China/Hong Kong to Finland, northern Europe) is much faster and very reliable using the "standard SpeedPak" shipping method. Thus far, less than ten orders though, they've all arrived within two weeks or so, with working tracking numbers, for a $2 - $2.50 shipping cost.

I am, however, saving up to an Analog Discovery 2.  Cannot afford a good oscilloscope, but the AD2 should cover my actual needs quite well.

Offline PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
Re: Russia silver mica SSG-3 capacitor
« Reply #6301 on: May 06, 2018, 10:54:50 pm »
Russia silver mica capacitor SSG-3 series, 200nF 0.3% 350V.

I beat you. Russian 100pF 25kV vacuum made. Gotta love all the interesting stuff sold from there, klystrons, thyratrons...

Offline Canis Dirus Leidy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6302 on: May 06, 2018, 11:24:43 pm »
From Aliexpress, right?
Yes, from this seller.

P.S. While hardware looks pretty normal, but documentation not so decent. Just a bunch of files with schematics, citation of which FPGA pins connected to what, Verilog and VHDL examples, plus some descriptions in bad (even for me) English ("CLK50M ,from FPGA E1 input, you can use PLL get other frequency, for example 10M 25M 100M 200M etc. Have other don.t solder(PIN_M2), you can use a 5X7 volume Crystal oscillator solder on." and so on).

Offline gildasd

• Frequent Contributor
  • Engineering watch officer - Apprentice Officer
    • Sci-fi Meanderings
« Reply #6303 on: May 07, 2018, 09:06:23 pm »
Metabo LTX Multitool, 18V.
Case and accessories, no charger, no batteries (I have those) 202€ delivered.

Mostly for electrical outlets, as this house has 18mm OSB behind the sheet rock (to comply with code).
I'm electronically illiterate

Offline ChrisLX200

• Supporter
« Reply #6304 on: May 08, 2018, 11:35:09 am »
A small indoor PTZ IP camera. If you're in the market for one I can recommend this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B075V3DFZP/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . Very handy for keeping an eye out for the delivery man (amongst other things!). It works well enough pointing through a window, but at night the IR light reflects from the glass so that needs be switched off. A sample still image taken just now taken through my 'office' window on a sunny May morning :)

Offline edy

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #6305 on: May 09, 2018, 12:30:02 am »
Maybe they hoped they could be of more use to someone else, and wrapped them up so they stood a better chance? Free-cycling.

By the way, I received a reply on that JM Lab 715's and CC100 speakers from Focal, and I quote "These date from around 1999. I'm afraid there are no documents left for these anymore."    :-DD    So would you consider these vintage?  ;D

YouTube: www.devhackmod.com LBRY: https://lbry.tv/@winegaming:b Bandcamp Music Link
"Ye cannae change the laws of physics, captain" - Scotty

Offline frozenfrogz

• Frequent Contributor
  • Having fun with Arduino and Raspberry Pi
« Reply #6306 on: May 09, 2018, 07:01:38 am »
I lately bumped into a couple of manufacturers that all seem to have pushed the "wipe all" button on everything that dates back pre 2000. Vision Engineering for example is one of those  :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

Makes me raging mad, since keeping an archive with documentation for their own products and offering that as a service could not be easier and cheaper nowadays. But hey, who needs spec sheets, repair manuals and the likes anyway? :-+
He’s like a trained ape. Without the training.

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #6307 on: May 09, 2018, 09:49:57 am »
A small indoor PTZ IP camera. If you're in the market for one I can recommend this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B075V3DFZP/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . Very handy for keeping an eye out for the delivery man (amongst other things!). It works well enough pointing through a window, but at night the IR light reflects from the glass so that needs be switched off. A sample still image taken just now taken through my 'office' window on a sunny May morning :)

If this is not your house in the image, it is possible that you are not allowed to record it. Even still images might be a problem, which is the reason why Google street view has the possibility to blur images of a house, if the owner complains. But a video is even worse.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6308 on: May 09, 2018, 10:05:13 am »
If this is not your house in the image, it is possible that you are not allowed to record it. Even still images might be a problem, which is the reason why Google street view has the possibility to blur images of a house, if the owner complains. But a video is even worse.
Laws differ per country. You probably are not allowed to publish the footage or use it commercially or whatever but for private usage  :-//
In our country you can register your camera with it's view with the police, if something happened they can ask for the footage so they might have a better chance of solving the crime. Only in severe situations ofcourse.
In big cities there are many cameras now and in a tv show last year they showed a crime where streetrobbers stole a purse and drove off on a scooter.
They could trace the streetrobbers throughout the city to the appartment building where they went in, they left their scooter outside.
Police arrived and kicked the scooter so its alarm went off, out came one of the streetrobbers and he was arrested.
Everybody is complaining about privacy but if these kind of crimes become obsolete because the criminals have no way to escape justice I think that is good.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6309 on: May 09, 2018, 10:08:28 am »

The laws in the UK are much less restrictive than in Germany. As long as you have informed your neighbours, had no complaints from them and done your best to restrict the coverage to your own property then you are good to go. You'd never get away with that in Germany.

McBryce.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 12:43:27 pm by McBryce »
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline ChrisLX200

• Supporter
« Reply #6310 on: May 09, 2018, 10:09:21 am »

I believe there are more strict laws in Germany governing the use of such cameras, in the UK we are more relaxed about it. 'Security' cameras are everywhere.

Offline woody

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6311 on: May 09, 2018, 10:52:33 am »
In our country you can register your camera with it's view with the police, if something happened they can ask for the footage so they might have a better chance of solving the crime. Only in severe situations of course.

In our country the police told me a couple of weeks ago, during a house-to-house after a burglary down the street, that I could also leave them the connection details (IP address, userids, passwords) of my cameras so they could take a look whenever the need arises. Only with my permission of course. I was flabbergasted. And now I do wonder how many people actually give out these details.

Sad thing that we so easily give up our (and other people's) freedom and privacy, because we're scared shitless for no good reason.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6312 on: May 09, 2018, 11:20:10 am »
Sad thing that we so easily give up our (and other people's) freedom and privacy, because we're scared shitless for no good reason.
I am more afraid for Facebook and Google regarding privacy than the police  ;)
As long as you are not a criminal and want to hide your criminal activities and the police does not use the footage for other purposes or sell it commercially as  FB and Big G do, I sleep better with cameras around than not.

Offline alanb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6313 on: May 09, 2018, 11:51:59 am »

I believe there are more strict laws in Germany governing the use of such cameras, in the UK we are more relaxed about it. 'Security' cameras are everywhere.

There is a requirement in the UK to register CC TV that records with the ICO ( Information Commissioner's Office) there is an annual registration fee which I think currently is £45.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6314 on: May 09, 2018, 12:43:10 pm »
There is a requirement in the UK to register CC TV that records with the ICO ( Information Commissioner's Office) there is an annual registration fee which I think currently is £45.

Private CCTV cameras that don't record outside the owners property are exempt from DPA and aren't required to register the camera with the ICO (according the the Goverments online guidelines).

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline ggchab

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6315 on: May 09, 2018, 12:56:30 pm »
TB6600 on eBay  :'(

Offline woody

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6316 on: May 09, 2018, 12:56:38 pm »
As long as you are not a criminal and want to hide your criminal activities
No, not only as long as I am not a criminal with a lot to hide. But also and especially if I am just an ordinary citizen, living my live and minding my own business, I do not want or need to be monitored.

But we are digressing from the fine topic of newly acquired stuff, so I'll leave it at that  ;)

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6317 on: May 09, 2018, 01:58:12 pm »
Go live in the forest and tell the animals not to watch you  :)

Offline alanb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6318 on: May 09, 2018, 03:25:47 pm »

Private CCTV cameras that don't record outside the owners property are exempt from DPA and aren't required to register the camera with the ICO (according the the Goverments online guidelines).

McBryce.

Agreed  that is why I said 'record'

Offline bob225

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6319 on: May 09, 2018, 04:15:40 pm »
Parcel Farce delivered a box from RS today

TE switched pots (lin), TE standard pot (log) and a tin of switch cleaner

Repairing 40+ year old kit with new parts can be a pain

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #6320 on: May 09, 2018, 05:34:30 pm »
I am more afraid for Facebook and Google regarding privacy than the police  ;)
As long as you are not a criminal and want to hide your criminal activities and the police does not use the footage for other purposes or sell it commercially as  FB and Big G do, I sleep better with cameras around than not.
Sacrificing your privacy doesn't make you safe. The UK's full of CCTV and it's not significantly safer than countries with much less cameras. Put up a few plastic cameras and sleep soundly, without sacrificing the privacy of yourself and everyone else.

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #6321 on: May 09, 2018, 09:18:23 pm »
Got this iMac 20" early 2009 for free, hope my son will like it.  :)

Online Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6322 on: May 09, 2018, 10:04:53 pm »

McBryce.

Agreed  that is why I said 'record'

Strangely enough the local police were not to concerned about my CCTV facing on to the public street opposite, when a major gangland double shooting and murder occurred just up the road. Indeed, they spotted it and asked me if I could provide recordings in a 2 hour window of the getaway car. They asked any householder in the area who had CCTV to provide what they could.

I was more than happy to provide, despite knowing it was 2 hours of useless boring video, but they were looking for a particular vehicle and if even 3 frames in those hours of recording would help, they would help. I feel sorry for the plod who had to sit through hours and hours of this stuff.

Another time the Police Complaints Commission turned up and asked me if I could provide any CCTV of the HMO (house of multiple occupation) opposite that had someone accusing the police of interfering with their violence and drug taking. Sadly my recordings only last 2 or 3 weeks and then get overwritten. I couldn't provide in that instance as the event was 2 months prior. But I do remember the incident and the arsehole going off on one.

I also have a door-spy camera which is invaluable to totally ignore all the uninvited chuggers and salespeople that knock at least twice a day.

ChrisLX200 has a very nice view compared to mine it has to be said.

But even without CCTV we have curtain twitchers everywhere.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #6323 on: May 10, 2018, 02:27:03 am »
I got one of the Xaomi Wiha screwdriver sets from Banggood and it came today.  Very nice value for the money.  There is a surprising amount of weight to the set.  I have other sets that are similar but don't have near the heft as this one.  I like the spring latch holding the tray in the case and the case will easily fit in the pocket.  The other nice feature is that the bit holder slots are magnetized.  No worries about having to re magnetize after a time.  The handle is narrow but it does feel good in hand.  The 'spinner' at the top spins very freely but is very smooth without any wobble to it.  I must admit that I got a bit of a tingle as I was fondling and playing with it when I got it out of the package.  I would love to have the big, ridiculously expensive 50 piece set but noe I can say that I have a set of Wiha screwdrivers ;D
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline scuzzyTerminator

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6324 on: May 10, 2018, 08:51:51 am »
Power supplies off the Halted 50% shelves. $32.50. Don't know why. Couldn't just leave them.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 09:18:11 am by scuzzyTerminator »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf