Author Topic: NEW Next Gen 2 Series Tektronix Oscilloscope  (Read 68682 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: NEW Next Gen 2 Series Tektronix Oscilloscope
« Reply #375 on: June 07, 2022, 02:38:23 pm »
I agree, as I said, there is some innovation... I also would like VESA mounts on all scopes...

I suspect this will start a trend.

Makes me wanna drill holes in my R&S :-DD

It's not hard for the manufacturer to design a new moulded back cover, just say'n  ;D
A maybe a niche third party market opportunity for someone with the chops...

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #376 on: June 07, 2022, 02:40:18 pm »
During your review of using the scope in anger, please mention what it is like to use the touchscreen when it is on the VESA mount.

Please allow several hours usage for the effects to become apparent.

One of the reasons lightpens (remember them?) lost out to mice is that lightpens were murder on the shoulders! Let's make new mistakes, not repeat old mistakes.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #377 on: June 07, 2022, 02:42:31 pm »

Not really comparable IMO, the Micsig is a proper self contained tablet scope. The Tek is a portable bench scope that matches the exitsing high end line in usability.

That is kind of my point..

Just like every other Tek scope really. They are high end player, and you pay high end price.
There are many who will bitch about the price, and I'm one of them, some of the option prices are insane. But I understand that there is a huge market segment that doesn't care, and I've worked in those markets myself.

I have no problem paying premium price for Tek 6 series. Because it has capabilities that makes it worth it.
And you made a fine point right there:  "Paying premium prices for premium PLAYER"...
And I say screw them. I'm NOT paying "Paying premium prices for premium PLAYER". I'm willing to "Pay premium prices for premium PRODUCT".  This 2 series is not a premium product... Cue in membrane keyboard from a noname microwave oven...

"Paying premium prices for premium PLAYER" is fanboy domain, and I couldn't care less for it...... I personally don't care, to each it's own, but I call them as I see them ....

The following users thanked this post: Performa01

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #378 on: June 07, 2022, 02:44:48 pm »
During your review of using the scope in anger, please mention what it is like to use the touchscreen when it is on the VESA mount.

One of the reasons lightpens (remember them?) lost out to mice is that lightpens were murder on the shoulders! Let's make new mistakes, not repeat old mistakes.

Probably fine when they are on a VESA mount because they won't be used on benches but will be used on test stations as a remotely driven instrument with visual feedback. Usual pass/fail stuff.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #379 on: June 07, 2022, 02:46:25 pm »

You are right on the target. I moved in to a new lab. Made nice shelves to keep T&M equipment off the desk. After, maybe, few weeks scopes are back on the desk and they'll stay there.... And when they were up there, it was mousing all the time....
Good thing is that I made tabletop deep enough so there is space...

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #380 on: June 07, 2022, 02:48:45 pm »

Probably fine when they are on a VESA mount because they won't be used on benches but will be used on test stations as a remotely driven instrument with visual feedback. Usual pass/fail stuff.

I had considered that, and it is plausible.

Nonetheless, I expect many reviews won't even bother to consider that caveat. Hence it might be a trap for the inexperienced.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #381 on: June 07, 2022, 02:50:02 pm »

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza, trophosphere

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #382 on: June 07, 2022, 02:54:32 pm »

Correct. I'm sure this is why they added VNC remote control which they don't have on the 3/4/5/6 series. And a USB wireless mouse just plugs in and works fine.

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055, bd139

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #383 on: June 07, 2022, 02:58:51 pm »

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza, nctnico, trophosphere, HighVoltage, DH7DN

Offline PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #384 on: June 07, 2022, 03:53:53 pm »
The recess in the metal shielding of the input BNCs is needed for clearance from the 300Vrms input.
This product is designed with low cost as a main objective

The following users thanked this post: TiN, 2N3055

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
Re: NEW Next Gen Tektronix Scope
« Reply #385 on: June 07, 2022, 04:32:48 pm »
I'm sorry, but to me, shiny membrane keyboards scream kitchen appliance..
I have the exact same impression - being burned by older test gear with membrane buttons in the past (Wavetek, for example), I can't shake the feeling of a hard-to-use UI. On the other hand, some membrane buttons can be well made and I would need to actually use it to have a more concrete opinion.

It can be used without the front panel controls at all, using entirely the touch screen or remote screen control.

Indeed VESA mounts are interesting and I would have loved to see a simple clip-on adapter to it as well. It is seamless in the sense it seems that it can be converted from mount to portable, but the inconvenience of the screws is what I think it kills the "seamless" stance.

There probably aren't too many scenarios when you would have it VESA mounted and then want to immediately whip it off into a portable carry unit. VESA mount is usually a fixed install thing.
But there are already existing quick release VESA mounts like this:
https://www.amazon.com.au/VIVO-Attachment-Removable-Mounting-Stand-VAD2/dp/B01BTAAUV8
So I can see why they wouldn't have considered integrating something like that and left it to third party solutions.
I hadn't thought of the third party adapters for the mounts. Indeed this is probably a financially sound decision.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Online RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #386 on: June 07, 2022, 04:37:38 pm »
TSP #208 - Tektronix 2-Series 4-Channel 2.5GS/s 500MHz MSO Review, Teardown & Experiments
The Signal Path

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #387 on: June 07, 2022, 05:59:45 pm »

nobody is slamming this scope yet for not implementing zoom out properly? (@17:14) can't zoom out or some other bollocks....
I admit i am less enthusiastic about the membrane keys and i see that they offer a package that covers for normal wear and tear  ::)
because replacing that on my own would really be a pain

the single PCB construction is an impressive feat but that hits the final nail on the isolated channel option (i was holding hope)..
i was told there would be a replacement to the TPS soon-ish but apparently that's not going to happen :(

I still think the form factor is a win and i am sure others will come out with their own version of this. will probably change the TPS with the siglent version of this scope, if and when it will come out

The following users thanked this post: free_electron, Performa01

Offline PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #388 on: June 07, 2022, 06:08:29 pm »
Personally I would not buy this scope. To me a bench scope must have an internal PSU and not having 50Ohm termination among others makes it a low end model which I'm not interested in.
And in a portable scope I expect some internal batteries, so I would choose others, from Rohde or Micsig.

Enough for the marketing campaign

The following users thanked this post: scoper007

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #389 on: June 07, 2022, 06:32:44 pm »
I admit i am less enthusiastic about the membrane keys and i see that they offer a package that covers for normal wear and tear  ::)

It looks like a five minute job to replace them.

(assuming they sell them...)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #390 on: June 07, 2022, 06:35:35 pm »
Well after watching everything I can conclude it’s ugly as hell, too expensive and not really that innovative. But that’s about the status quo for scopes. So it’s fine  :-//

The following users thanked this post: Someone, Bassman59

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #391 on: June 07, 2022, 06:39:16 pm »
nobody is slamming this scope yet for not implementing zoom out properly? (@17:14) can't zoom out or some other bollocks....
It is a Tektronix so it can zoom out; you don't need to ask whether it can. Standard Tektronix feature! If you look closely, you'll see that it is in auto memory depth mode in the video.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2022, 06:49:31 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #392 on: June 07, 2022, 06:57:29 pm »
Weird to see National Semi branded chips ... that logo went defunct when TI bought them. old stock ? it is a prototype ... could be.
The pinch to zoom seems to react pretty slow. is it the UI or the actual redraw that is slow ...
1280x800 resolution is a bit weak these days. They could have used a better display. The price difference is not that high. If you look what tablet displays do in terms of resolution.

But the thing to kick it in the can is the membrane keyboard. That is a colossal fail. They could have kept the back foil with the embedded leds and put a silicone key mat on top. Tactile feedback is a must. Did i click it ? is it in run or stop ? let me click it again .. -aaaargh- what's next ? rotary encoders without detents ? so if you want to change the attenuator or timebase you have to guess when it will switch ? And membranes eventually all crack, split and peel. Especially if they are the dimpled type. no to membranes !

It's a nice machine but that membrane keypad is unforgivable.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2022, 06:59:20 pm by free_electron »
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #393 on: June 07, 2022, 07:06:05 pm »
To anyone complaining about the membrane keypad: you are not going to use it. It is stupid to put knobs & buttons on a touchscreen based instrument which has a proper touchscreen interface. The knobs & buttons are redundant relics from a past.

And yes, silicone keypads do get dirty. If you have ever cleaned a piece of test equipment thouroughly you know how much dirt you encounter on such keypads. Usually enough to make a 10x10cm piece of white cloth turn dark grey.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2022, 07:23:49 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #394 on: June 07, 2022, 07:29:30 pm »
To anyone complaining about the membrane keypad: you are not going to use it. It is stupid to put knobs & buttons on a touchscreen based instrument which has a proper touchscreen interface. The knobs & buttons are redundant relics from a past.

And yet, silicone keypads do get dirty. If you have ever cleaned a piece of test equipment thouroughly you know how much dirt you encounter on such keypads. Usually enough to make a 10x10cm piece of white cloth turn dark grey.
Then why not ditch the rotary encoders too ? simply pinch to zoom.
There needs to be a few hard buttons. run/stop , single , since they only have one encoder for vertical you need buttons for channel select. The amount of arm flapping needed to first touch something on the screen , then go to the encoder, then back to screen ... if that thing is suspended from the vesa mount you will get muscle cramps very quickly.
I don't know if a touchscreen on a scope is a good idea. Touchscreens work on a tablet because it lays horizontally. Vertical touchscreens are very tiring for your arm. And you have greasy finger streaks all over that display. -meh- Scopes sit on a bench at arms length. very difficult to precision control a floating touch screen at arms length. I can see this working for field service personnel holding it in hand. but as a bench instrument ? no.
i had a Lecroy and an Agilent with touch screens. i HATED those touch screens (except for zoom in/out). always used the mouse or the hard controls. but changing gain or timebase ? annoying as hell. and then trying to enter something on a virtual keyboard is even more annoying. it works if a touchscreen lays down, like a tablet, or if you are handholding it . but not on a vertical screen.

They seem to have the button balance right. only the really important stuff has a button. They should at least provide haptic feedback so you know you clicked something. having to stare at the screen to see if it changes when you click is annoying. find button with eyes, position hand, move eyes to screen , now click , . bad UI design. a proper UI minimizes the number of eye repositions and hand repositions.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2022, 07:32:17 pm by free_electron »
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #395 on: June 07, 2022, 07:38:50 pm »

And yet, silicone keypads do get dirty. If you have ever cleaned a piece of test equipment thouroughly you know how much dirt you encounter on such keypads. Usually enough to make a 10x10cm piece of white cloth turn dark grey.
Then why not ditch the rotary encoders too ? simply pinch to zoom.
Look at MicSig. Doesn't need those encoders.
i had a Lecroy and an Agilent with touch screens. i HATED those touch screens (except for zoom in/out)
Because those user interfaces aren't made for touch screens. I have some hands-on experience with the oscilloscopes you are likely referring to and on those a mouse works better indeed. But try one of the modern R&S scopes (RTB / RTM) for example.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #396 on: June 07, 2022, 07:45:11 pm »
I loathe touchscreens, for me a touchscreen would definitely be a niche extra for certain purposes, I would not buy an instrument that did not have physical knobs and buttons, tactile feedback is a must for me and touchscreens do not provide that. They also get covered in finger smudges which I can't stand.

The following users thanked this post: Tom45

Offline Anthocyanina

• Frequent Contributor
  • The Sara
« Reply #397 on: June 07, 2022, 07:54:58 pm »
During the event I asked them multiple times about the waveform update rate and they didn't answer that question. When watching Dave's first impression video, I found out why, the Tek person talking to Dave in that video said it was something like 5k waveforms per second, then followed with something like "it's not a fast scope"  :palm:
for 2k$   :o their competition being the RTB2000, which can do 300k, why is Tektronix so far behind in this regard? how fast do their 3 and up series update?

Online TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #398 on: June 07, 2022, 07:57:01 pm »
Looks decent to me overall, shame there is no auto probe select or 50 ohm, but it is a lower end scope. The membrane buttons are a massive turn off though and I'd say a deal breaker.
VE7FM

Offline nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #399 on: June 07, 2022, 08:07:05 pm »
I watched Shahriar's video, and my first thought was, here is a TDS210 for the 2020's. It's even fanless! Priced like a Tek, of course, but then it is a Tek. Not a scope I have a use for personally, but I think they will probably sell a lot of them.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf