There are lots of pre-compiled toolchains. I currently use one from here
https://riscstar.com/toolchain/, it works fine for general embedded targets. 200 MB download is all you need.
As to the SDK (pico-sdk), the repo is about 45 MB. I recommend getting it from github directly:
https://github.com/raspberrypi/pico-sdk/tree/masterFor pure assembly dev, you may not even need it, but it'll still be handy to have to figure out the right compile options, get some working linker script to start with, etc.
Pi Pico is easy to get started with too, though not quite Arduino-easy.
I bought a RP2350 dev board to get access to some riscV cores to learn a bit of RiscV asm.
To do that however you needed to cross compile through the RPi SDK, which when built takes up 2.5Gb of disk space. All to run a 5 line assembler hello world.
At current NVMe SSDF prices that's around $0.25 of disk space.
You could simply grab/build binutils -- as is 300k and ld 2.8MB -- and headers and DIY. But then you'd have to know what you're doing, and probably spend a few hours.
That's the trade-off for being easy to get started.
Just out of curiosity has anyone actually purchased an Uno Q with their own money and made something useful?
I ask because I've previously wrestled with both the Beaglebone Black and the Raspberry Pi4 and it's been a tale of disappointment. They are both exceedingly fragile from a software administration and hardware SSD failure point of view, and so slow that it's like stepping back in time 20 years. Once broken it takes at least half a day to rebuild a working system from scratch. Unless you have an app that needs GB of memory and storage, then I don't see the attraction.
Things like MQTT servers that previously were only available on Unix like systems are starting to appear on platforms such as the ESP32 which already has a bunch of core networking features baked into the system. I can only see this trend continuing as people realize that modern microcontrollers can do a lot.
Just out of curiosity has anyone actually purchased an Uno Q with their own money and made something useful?
I ask because I've previously wrestled with both the Beaglebone Black and the Raspberry Pi4 and it's been a tale of disappointment. They are both exceeding fragile from a software administration and hardware SSD failure point of view, and so slow that it's like stepping back in time 20 years. Once broken it takes at least half a day to rebuild a working system from scratch. Unless you have an app that needs GB of memory and storage, then I don't see the attraction.
Things like MQTT servers that previously were only available on Unix like systems are starting to appear on platforms such as the ESP32 which already has a bunch of core networking features baked into the system. I can only see this trend continuing as people realize that modern microcontrollers can do a lot.
I bought a Uno Q right when it first came out, and just like all my other SoC boards, it ended up sitting unused in a drawer.
I feel like Arduino is meant for kids. If you're doing a project, it's too childish.
I feel like Arduino is meant for kids. If you're doing a project, it's too childish.
Why so, any more than a car with an automatic transmission or a computer with a GUI or for that matter a room heater with a thermostat?
It is just a spammer promoting some scammy looking site.
Hello all,
Is Libreduino.org still held by Dave Jones ?
Regards
Jean-François
libreduino.org
is parked free, courtesy of GoDaddy.com.
(Trying to figure out what a "reduino" library might be. Oh! Never mind!)
libreduino.org
is parked free, courtesy of GoDaddy.com.
To be clean, I'm the owner of it.
I will transfer it for free to anyone who has a legit major project that needs it.
Would be good if the IDE's could forked from Arduino code-base if that's at all possible given new licensing model.
In the past projects like LibreOffe starded as a fork from the last main/free OpenOffice code.
Regards,
Jean-François
No idea if the IDE's need to be rewritten or forked from Arduino code-base if that's at all possible.
It took 5 seconds to learn that the IDE is AGPLv3 and the libraries LGPL.
If you're going to publish your changes as a continuation/fork of the current system then you can do whatever you want.