(1) do you need to do anything in terms of pre-heating your board before it goes into the vapour?
(2) How "thick" is the vapour layer above the liquid.
(3) Im thinking that a 'lid' that has a stack of aluminium heat sinks that sits over the tank might be quite good a well.
(4) If the board is sitting flat, after it is raised out of the vapour, the vapour could potentially condense and sit on the board, ( once its cold ). Maybe when you pull it up, it needs to be angled once the solder is solid?
(5) Double sided.. Just rely on surface tension?
Alternatively glue spot.(1) do you need to do anything in terms of pre-heating your board before it goes into the vapour?
(2) How "thick" is the vapour layer above the liquid.
(3) Im thinking that a 'lid' that has a stack of aluminium heat sinks that sits over the tank might be quite good a well.
(4) If the board is sitting flat, after it is raised out of the vapour, the vapour could potentially condense and sit on the board, ( once its cold ). Maybe when you pull it up, it needs to be angled once the solder is solid?
(5) Double sided.. Just rely on surface tension?
3) yes, or maybe some of those watercooling blocks from overclocking kits too? coppice: you want the fluid to condense on the lid so that it doesn't escape.
5) thermosetting epoxy designed for smd is not that expensive, and I've got it from RS in the past in plastic syringe form. I'd post the link, but I'm getting "RS Online is temporarily unavailable."
3) yes, or maybe some of those watercooling blocks from overclocking kits too? coppice: you want the fluid to condense on the lid so that it doesn't escape.As the vapour is heavier than air, why would it escape? You aren't going to lift the lid until the vapour pressure has dropped.
Take what I say with a pinch of salt. I'm basing what I say on results in the 1980s with lower temperature fluid and leaded solder.
There are some interesting videos from the manufacturers of these machines.
This company has several videos: This one demonstrates a jig that can desolder a BGA using the same machine and process as for soldering:
Depopulating a whole board would take ages, but it's not uncommon to only rework one large component. The large BGAs are also the hardest to rework with hand tools.
Especially interesting is their top-line product, the VP6000, which has a vacuum system. I assume it is used to recover more of the fluid, or to make the boards dry faster. They have options for filtering flux residue and for convection coolers to enhance board drying.
It also shows that they can calibrate the process using a live device inserted into the vapor bath.
1) yes, otherwise you will risk tombstoning or wicking. It's actually more of a problem with smaller components apparently because they will heat much faster than the pads. 150C preheat makes this problem basically go away. Source is in one of my previous posts in this thread. Usually an different batch oven is used, but that's only because in production everything needs to go super fast.
2) depends on the amount of heating. Seems like as long as the board is in the vapour and not the fluid it will be ok. If you're talking about density, it is heavier than air.
4) I don't see why you couldn't just wash the board with distilled water in place after everything had cooled down, then just run the thing on 120C for a bit to evaporate the water. When I finally get hold of some galden or fluorinert (I'm trying to get 500mL, but the cheapest I've got so far is about AU$1200 for 3.8L), I think it would be good to do some experiments to see just how much loss you get when you do something like this.
Does anyone have any contacts at 3M/dupont/solvay that they can put me in touch with? I've already tried contacting 3M AU but they (understandably) haven't got back to me yet.
Asscon (related to siemens?)
Quote2) depends on the amount of heating. Seems like as long as the board is in the vapour and not the fluid it will be ok. If you're talking about density, it is heavier than air.I was more thinking about physically how high the vapour cloud will be, and how big the "zone" between 'air' and the vapour will be. ( there will be some 'transition zone' )
US 4549686 A - Vapor phase soldering using perfluorotetradecahydrophenanthrene (C14 F24); this seems like the original commercial patent, but uses CFCs
) machine mentioned earlier
How do they use the vacuum?
If you apply vacuum the boiling point of liquid drops highly, so the temperature necesary for the soldering can't be reach.
Asscon (related to siemens?)



How do they use the vacuum?
If you apply vacuum the boiling point of liquid drops highly, so the temperature necesary for the soldering can't be reach.
If you look in the patent, it has a separate chamber which is pulled under a vacuum. So while the solder is still liquid, it the board moves from the vapour blanket to the chamber and the vacuum does its work. Cooling isn't really a problem, because it's a vacuum!
no isolation of the wires here: http://www.ibrtses.com/projects/vapourphasesoldering.html
...
Its a bucket with a lifter in it!!
I'm seeing a project coming up here.