And you dont have to learn some awkward tool. Works perfectly fine for me !
PDF attached, what do you make of this.. Is this a marketing thing, or is this for real.
, but lead free (afaik) uses the same amount of fluxes, generates the same amount of gas, etc if not more due to the higher temps required.
Now I'm trying to think about how to raise the board gently when potentially the balls are still liquid.
Or perhaps since it is a hobby system and I only need one board, just turn off the heating and wait for it to cool. Suggestions welcome!
PDF attached, what do you make of this.. Is this a marketing thing, or is this for real.
Now I'm trying to think about how to raise the board gently when potentially the balls are still liquid.I think your biggest challenge here is a smooth motion without rocking and too fast accelaration/deceleration.
A quick though about rocking/shaking is to use guidance rails like CNC machines do.
They are now so accurate the backlash is within 0,001 mm even when milling steel so not a problem for your system.
You have a lot of choice, for instance IGUS DryLin Linear Guide or even HIWIN Carriage HGH system.
For controlling the basket a simple steppermotor and driver would suffice than depending on the total weight you have to move up and down.
So actually you are implementing one axis of a CNC machine with two guidance rails.
Another thing to test is if the carriage will expand the same amount as the guidancerail it self otherwise it could get stuck at higher temperatures.
A CNC guidance rail is so sturdy that you could let it end well above the higher temperature and just extend the platform. The picture with the external (seperate) lifting system of one of the previous pages comes into mind.
Ok, but to play devils advocate here:
Can anyone shed any light on why fluid viscosity really matters in a batch oven? I can't think of anything.
Ok, but to play devils advocate here:
Can anyone shed any light on why fluid viscosity really matters in a batch oven? I can't think of anything.Lower viscosity - better run-off from the PCB?
lower viscosity - better heat transfer to the center of large FBGAs
heat is transferred to the parts by a liquid phase, not a gas. the vapor condenses on the surface, so the board is entirely immersed in liquid, less than 1mm thick. when the peak temperature is reached, the vapor stops turning to liquid. so vapor itself does not do anything to the components.
see the presentation: (the slide decks on this channel are extremely detailed)
...
especially the point on "low surface tension". Viscosity and surface tension are related, although the relationship is different for different types of materials.
I think you are focused too much on the cost of the fluid. it could cost 10 times as much and it would still be less than the cost of engineering a proper heat loop, cooling system, mechanical elevator, vapor detector, control system, user interface, and chassis.
and I think I already have most of the physical bits already (including linear bearings, motor drivers, chains, many devkits I can use as the controller, thermocouples, induction heating plates). So the major outlay for me will be the fluid, especially given that I'll probably mess up and lose some. This isn't a 24/7 machine, it just has to work while I'm looking after it. Even the 3M system which they used to solder expensive Intel CPUs is just a dumb heater, plus some water flowing around a big test tube.

Notice how vapor is pouring out of their setup. This means that the heat input is in excess of what is required for the small board they are reflowing. It causes tombstoning, and look at that BGA
this is what VPR was like in the 60s when it was abandoned.
Notice how vapor is pouring out of their setup. This means that the heat input is in excess of what is required for the small board they are reflowing. It causes tombstoning, and look at that BGA
this is what VPR was like in the 60s when it was abandoned.If i saw the presentation on the previous page they measure the temp on three vertikal places and lower the board when there is no vapour yet (so the Galden temp is around 200) than apply the extra heat and control it so the temp is following the reflow profile. That is how i intertreted it.
The video you showed is amateur time no smooth operating elevation, no temperature control what I can see and they are boiling the Galden even way before the pcb is lowered.
And even worse no lid to contain the vapour to let it come in contact with the coolong area and liquidize back.
And if you find the long version of the Video,you'll find that they actually poured water into the tank.
And if you find the long version of the Video,you'll find that they actually poured water into the tank.That does sound awfull, mixing a liquid with a boiling point of 230oC with one that has a boiling point of 100oC is rediculous, so scrap that video as any serious source of information.

Listen at 1:20.. " that could be all you galden esacping.. I hope not.. Do you want to put a bit of water in there? "
I wonder if what they were trying to create some kind of 'cover layer'?
...........
I'm really curious to know what the motivation for the water was..

Interesting thread guys, hope it all comes together for you.
As I see it a deep vessel will be very important to contain and not waste vapour.
This is presumably where the pre-heating comes in to play with the different temp zones as you go deeper.
Is there agreement that there should be a cooled lid?
Had a look at the info linked and it's unclear how much vapour would be produced per say each litre of Galden.
Wondered if a circular domestic stove element would work as a heater?
Say a 6" one with it's thermostat, real easy I think and they're only ~8mm thick plus bracket for a total say 15mm. Should easy cover it with a litre.