I think the more useful characteristic is the vapour "height", which seems mostly to be controlled by temperature/injected energy. The better you can control the vapour height, the better your oven will be.
I think that an entire DIY vapour phase setup (with fluid) would cost less than one of my weller stations, and I have two of them!
So, i think we have a good solution for our vapour fluid. ( further distilled Galden HT230 ). Time to move on a little.
Theres a lot of variables here, that we don't have a good handle on. but some guidance from the commercial machinese is helpful.
Heres my thoughts on the other topics.
(a) the Weller and that other machine we saw, both suggest using about 1kg of Fluid in their machines, Thats only about 600ml. My suspision is that you don't need much fluid to make quite a lot of vapour.
(b) the commercial machines all seem to have a small "well" in the bottom of their tanks, you don't need to cover the entire base
(c) Heating almost certainly should be by some kind of external heater rather than an immersion one. Plenty of options there, and it really needs to be closed loop control system. We want to provide enough energy, but not too much. For experimentation purposes I'm thinking that it will be very useful to measure temp at several locations.. I'm thinking
- in the fluid to be boiled
- on a aluminium block that can be raised and lowered, this in many ways can be used to simulate your 'load'.
- Some sensors further above the vapour.
My feeling is that if we cafefully control the heating, then vapor loss is going to be minimal. Look at this video ( ). There is nothing elaborate about their 'tower'.
Time to stop talking and order some fluid and get started.
The weller has a sensor in the fluid as well. And to simulate your load, why not just get an already soldered PCB?
Ok, so I've been reading the manual of the weller WAM3000 very carefully, and here is my guess at how it works.
Ok, so I've been reading the manual of the weller WAM3000 very carefully, and here is my guess at how it works.I am with you untill the level the board is lowered to.
My gut feeling (nothing more so another guess) tells me that the three sensors are covering the entire heating volume so the lowest sensor is the bottom and the highest sensor is the top, so the middle sensor is the middle and that should be the location of the pcb (my guess).
So if the highest sensor reaches the set temperature or above all power should be cut because vapor is then escaping the zone, just my guess to it if I should build it.
Hrm, I can see your point, but I would worry that the second sensor has a much faster thermal time constant than the PCB itself, and would report being fully heated well before the PCB is. The sensor is mounted in the wall remember, not on the PCB.
Hrm, I can see your point, but I would worry that the second sensor has a much faster thermal time constant than the PCB itself, and would report being fully heated well before the PCB is. The sensor is mounted in the wall remember, not on the PCB.
And you wondered why i wanted to put a thermal sensor in a block of alluminum. To give it some thermal mass.
I'm also pretty convinced that there is minimal need to actually have the shutter system. I'm sure that the vapour height can be controlled pretty well. and that in a reasonably well controlled system the vapour won't escape the tank anyway. The systems with shutters are doing it for a different reason. They are blowing air across them, which is for cooling, and from what i see they are looking to cool the boards quickly for inline systems. for doing low voume batch work, this doe'snt seem to be a requirement.
Control here, is critical.

Boiling Point:310°C (590°F)
Vapor Pressure:<0.1 kPa (@ 20°C)
Looks a cool project, I´m wondering if it would be possible to get a cheap liquid and change the boiling point by changing the (vapor) pressure in the chamber:

Looks a cool project, I´m wondering if it would be possible to get a cheap liquid and change the boiling point by changing the (vapor) pressure in the chamber:You do not need to change the boiling point of the liquid, you need to have the temperature at 230oC for the solderpaste to melt
If I vacuum soup or water in a bag in my vacuummachine for instance it starts boiling at room temperature, but if there was an egg inside the soup it would not get hard boiled not even after an hour.
So you approach this the wrong way around I am afraid.
If I vacuum soup or water in a bag in my vacuummachine for instance it starts boiling at room temperature, but if there was an egg inside the soup it would not get hard boiled not even after an hour.
So you approach this the wrong way around I am afraid.
Sorry to jumping in without having read all those previous pages in details.
Looks a cool project, I´m wondering if it would be possible to get a cheap liquid and change the boiling point by changing the (vapor) pressure in the chamber:
Surely there is a big elephant I am overlooking...
You'd have to find something chemically inert, because evaporating flammable liquids is a great way to get an explosion. But realistically I think all the added complications of containing a lower (or higher) pressure make it a far worse alternative than just paying for the inert, non-toxic, ambient pressure stuff.

Jeremy,
Apropos the stainless steel balls.. there aretwo types of steel generally speaking .. austenitic and martensitic. The type is dependent on the manufacturing process how these metalurgical properties are developed ( crystaline structure which affects how the magnetic domains are established and formed.
This also applies to stainless steel. Some alloys are magnetic others are not.
300 series alloys are not magnetic where as 400 series alloys of stainless steel are.
) if they ship me 303 or something.Jeremy,
On the question of temperature measurement: addition of aluminium heat sink to the thermocouple would only detract from the quality of temperature measurement and subsequent tightness of the control loop.
A pressure vessel brings in problems of its own.
Licensing of operator and inspection of equipment come to mind immediately.
Trying to achieve the thermal profile I suspect becomes a bit more complicated.