If you were to buy the device today—now that you are thoroughly familiar with it—would you buy the two-channel version again, or would you rather pay extra and get the four-channel version?
I have one more question for Aldo22: (I appreciate that you bought the device among the first, back when its full range of features and flaws wasn't yet clear.)
If you were to buy the device today—now that you are thoroughly familiar with it—would you buy the two-channel version again, or would you rather pay extra and get the four-channel version?
...especially when the extra cost, as in this case, is minimal.
...especially when the extra cost, as in this case, is minimal.
Here (CH), the extra cost isn't minimal—it's 47%. That's a lot for something I'll probably never need (4 channels).
The two ADCs could be an advantage.
However, the reconstruction is quite good, so even with the 2-channel model, a square wave at nominal bandwidth still looks very good even when using two channels (Screenshot).
It’s always like that when making a purchase: For a little more, you get a little more.
It’s always tempting, and I’m not immune to that either.
But you can always ask yourself: Do I really need this?
For me, the 2-channel model is the most attractive deal.
Like I said: Everyone has to decide that for themselves.
All the other scopes I own are 2 1/2 channels, meaning they have an external trigger input. The ADS/DOV series doesn't offer an external trigger input. In my case, that's the reason I chose the 4-channel model. I can't remember a time I actually needed 4 channels.
All the other scopes I own are 2 1/2 channels, meaning they have an external trigger input. The ADS/DOV series doesn't offer an external trigger input. In my case, that's the reason I chose the 4-channel model. I can't remember a time I actually needed 4 channels.
That's true, but it has a trigger output.
If you combine it with an oscilloscope that has an external trigger option, you'll also have 4 separate channels with a single trigger channel.
There's a slight constant delay, but you can correct for it.
Of course, this isn't quite the same as a 4-channel oscilloscope, but it should be enough if you ever need it.

Meanwhile, in addition to the various defects, I also have doubts about the possible differences with the higher-performance models, which can cost up to €1,000, making them almost more expensive than much more renowned competitors.
- Is the 250 MHz only available on the top model, or are there "hacks" like many others?
- Is it true that the components in the top models are of better quality?
- No one knows the "noise" characteristics or the ENOB of these oscilloscopes. Some claim, but I haven't found any confirmation, that the DOV 704's ENOB is only 6.5 bits, making the advertised 12 bits virtually useless.
Is the 250 MHz only available on the top model, or are there "hacks" like many others?
Is it true that the components in the top models are of better quality?
No one knows the "noise" characteristics or the ENOB of these oscilloscopes. Some claim, but I haven't found any confirmation, that the DOV 704's ENOB is only 6.5 bits, making the advertised 12 bits virtually useless.
That's a clever workaround, and may be useful with other instruments, like an SA or VNA with an external trigger input. Too bad my SA lacks that feature. In reality, I don't often have a need for an external trigger, most of the time the chosen trigger is something I also want to see. However, for decades, back all the way to my Tektronix analog scopes, I've been used to having it available, so I thought with 4 channels one of them could take the place of the external trigger I've been accustomed to.
The “upgrade” also works with the two-channel version.
But yes, the bandwidth remains the same.
I wanted to make a “backup” first.
Here's how to do it with a FAT32 flash drive (4GB file size limit):Code: [Select]dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0 | gzip > /storage/5496-CF0C/dov_backup_img.gz
Thank you Olex!
There is only this:
Hi,
How did you solve it?
Couldn't you, for instance, revert to the original version 14, perform the model change, and only then move to version 1.8?
Do you have axis labels now, for example?
I mean: if someone upgraded straight to the latest version without performing the model change first, are they in the same mess you are—stuck and not knowing how to solve that?


I did it like this. From the delivered version V1.0.1.0.13 (my device must have been way in the back of the warehouse...) I went straight to the version V1.0.1.8.2 that's distributed here. I haven't done any model change so far.
Works perfectly fine so far (not counting the still built-in hardware design flaws).