Author Topic: Siglent SDS2000X Plus  (Read 845435 times)

Offline gralco

Re: Siglent SDS2000X Plus
« Reply #3225 on: March 02, 2022, 07:32:30 pm »
Does anyone know if you can use Siglent's SAG1021I USB AWG module as a second (synchronized) AWG channel for the SDS2000X Plus? If anyone has both, then it would be cool if it were tested.

If it doesn't work, then they should really add it as an option.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3226 on: March 02, 2022, 07:37:08 pm »
Does anyone know if you can use Siglent's SAG1021I USB AWG module as a second (synchronized) AWG channel for the SDS2000X Plus? If anyone has both, then it would be cool if it were tested.

If it doesn't work, then they should really add it as an option.

You cannot do that. They cannot be synchronized because they don't have synchronized clocks and waveform engines..

Offline Dracarris

• Contributor
« Reply #3227 on: March 04, 2022, 12:06:46 pm »
Got mine yesterday. Apart from the loud fan (ordered a Noctua replacement right away :D) and slightly loose display in the bottom right corner I am quite happy with it.

Although I dearly miss one feature, which is 9 bit UART decoding. I assumed this is a standard feature in oscilloscope decoders, all the ones from the usual brands at work have it. As another user mentioned here, it is very common in industry busses such as RS485, which is the exact application I am using it for. Fortunately, since the linked question, Siglent has added the mark/space parity option which allows me to display every byte sent and simply mark the frame byte with a parity error (shown red).

Does anyone have an idea whether there are any plans to add proper 9 bit decoding? For SPI you can even go up to 32 bit, which I think is very nice.

On a side note: I got a cheap bundle for the FGen and MSO HW+SW package. There was an "Option Card" in the package which uses the serial number of the scope to generate an option code - they are exactly the same as the ones generated by the infamous python script which is based on the scope id.

Offline RBBVNL9

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3228 on: March 04, 2022, 12:30:25 pm »
Although I dearly miss one feature, which is 9 bit UART decoding.

True. I have made an overview of the implementation of serial decoders (and other parts) of the SDSD2000X+ and several other scopes where you see this and many other specifics abiout what is supposed and what not.

It is available here: https://github.com/RudisElectronicsLab/RTB_SDS_DSOX_review

The following users thanked this post: casterle, Dracarris

Offline Dracarris

• Contributor
« Reply #3229 on: March 04, 2022, 12:45:27 pm »
It is available here: https://github.com/RudisElectronicsLab/RTB_SDS_DSOX_review

Many thanks, that is super useful! Any chance you can create the pdf in a way that text in the main part of the document is selectable? It looks like the pages are exported as images..

Offline dreamcat4

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3230 on: March 04, 2022, 12:52:25 pm »
it would be nice to be able to link the oscilloscope to the sigrok / salae logic analyzer software. but unfortunately i cannot see any of these scope(s) on the wiki's supported hardware list

https://sigrok.org/wiki/Supported_hardware#Oscilloscopes

Offline RBBVNL9

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3231 on: March 04, 2022, 12:53:05 pm »
Many thanks, that is super useful!

Thanks. Happy to hear people find it useful! You might also want out to check out the video episode I made on this (five are posted now). https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSTHQUENuAc2UwmrlHkVGKw

Any chance you can create the pdf in a way that text in the main part of the document is selectable? It looks like the pages are exported as images..

Just check this and you are right... Page 1 has selectable text but page 2 and further do not. Must be the PDF renderer, did not do this on purpose. I will see if I can make a new version this weekend.

The following users thanked this post: Dracarris

Offline Dracarris

• Contributor
« Reply #3232 on: March 04, 2022, 01:03:54 pm »
it would be nice to be able to link the oscilloscope to the sigrok / salae logic analyzer software. but unfortunately i cannot see any of these scope(s) on the wiki's supported hardware list

It's on the "Mixed Signal Devices" as supported listed: https://sigrok.org/wiki/Siglent_SDS2000X_series

What a great idea to use the HW/Frontend with a PC based analyzer, did not know this was possible.

The following users thanked this post: dreamcat4

Offline dreamcat4

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3233 on: March 04, 2022, 02:06:39 pm »
ah thanks, didn't see it there. Also its supported some LeCroy oscilloscopes. And the R&S RTB2004  :-+

Offline Dracarris

• Contributor
« Reply #3234 on: March 04, 2022, 04:01:47 pm »
ah thanks, didn't see it there. Also its supported some LeCroy oscilloscopes. And the R&S RTB2004  :-+

Yes, I tried it out. Well that was a frustrating experience. Could not get the Pulseview software to find/list my scope, no matter what I did on the driver side. Has anyone managed to get this to work? (Win10)

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3235 on: March 04, 2022, 04:54:47 pm »
It's on the "Mixed Signal Devices" as supported listed: https://sigrok.org/wiki/Siglent_SDS2000X_series

What a great idea to use the HW/Frontend with a PC based analyzer, did not know this was possible.

That's the SDS2000X, not the X-plus.  You had me all excited for about a minute!
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline Dracarris

• Contributor
« Reply #3236 on: March 04, 2022, 05:48:19 pm »
That's the SDS2000X, not the X-plus.  You had me all excited for about a minute!

I don't think that makes any difference. If at all, you'll get a better experience with the XP. The driver in PulseView simply says "SDS1000/SDS2000". I doubt there is any meaningful difference in the protocol between the scopes.

That being said, can anyone share their experience with any SDS and sigrok? The Interwebs don't return a lot of result when searching for it.

Offline sarming

« Reply #3237 on: March 04, 2022, 07:07:52 pm »
The current sigrok version does not yet support the Plus - but look just a page back in this very thread:

I just added a pull request in Sigrok Pulseview to support the SDS2000X Plus series, feel free to test it and give feedback: https://github.com/sigrokproject/libsigrok/pull/176

So if you are comfortable building from sources please test it, otherwise you have to wait just a little while longer :)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 07:09:27 pm by sarming »

The following users thanked this post: dreamcat4, Dracarris

Offline Dracarris

• Contributor
« Reply #3238 on: March 04, 2022, 09:52:19 pm »
The current sigrok version does not yet support the Plus - but look just a page back in this very thread:

I just added a pull request in Sigrok Pulseview to support the SDS2000X Plus series, feel free to test it and give feedback: https://github.com/sigrokproject/libsigrok/pull/176

Hmm shiet, you are right. That looks like considerable differences. I hope that is the cause of why mine is not detected by sigrok at all. Looks like PRs in the repo are not really worked on on a regular basis, what a shame. There are many high-quality contributions waiting for their merge into master.

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #3239 on: March 04, 2022, 11:03:26 pm »
Today I´ve got the permission to order a scope and a currentprobe for our testfield and I did it.
Siglent SDS2104X-Plus and siglent CP5500....Cost more than fourtimes of the scope... :P
The CP5500 is nearly the same as the 500A probe from lecroy, but without the probus interface.
Scope and probe will be external calibrated after they arrived and then every year in the future.
I´m totally convinced about the sds2k+, I got time enough to test and judge about it, as I´ve got it for over 1.5 years at home.
Let´s see what my other colleagues will say to this combo.. 8)

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Offline RBBVNL9

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3240 on: March 05, 2022, 04:46:06 pm »
@Dracarris,

Any chance you can create the pdf in a way that text in the main part of the document is selectable? It looks like the pages are exported as images..

Thanks for noting, that was not intentional. I now uploaded a version that is text selectable (and it is updated as well ;-)

https://github.com/RudisElectronicsLab/RTB_SDS_DSOX_review

The following users thanked this post: Dracarris

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #3241 on: March 05, 2022, 11:25:50 pm »
Hi,

As I did this measure:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/show-us-your-square-wave/msg4045285/#msg4045285

And compare it to the screenshot from the lecroy wr9054, what I don't quite like is the very squeezed display when using the stats function on the sds2k+.
Is it because of the lower resolution of the siglent (1024x600 vs 1280x XXX, I´ve forgotten it) ?
Or can it be optimized by lowering the font size....

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3242 on: March 06, 2022, 10:50:02 am »
Hi,

As I did this measure:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/show-us-your-square-wave/msg4045285/#msg4045285

And compare it to the screenshot from the lecroy wr9054, what I don't quite like is the very squeezed display when using the stats function on the sds2k+.
Is it because of the lower resolution of the siglent (1024x600 vs 1280x XXX, I´ve forgotten it) ?

Martin,

that is always an interesting problem, comparing screen layout on 15" and 10" screens.
1024/600 (1,706 AR) vs 1280/800 (1,6 AR) is not a problem here. Physical size is.

In last decade, we see screen elements on our devices being smaller and smaller, and screens getting so high DPI that pixels are not visible anymore. And on our phones they are making some fonts on screen literally 1,5 mm high. If you look at them with magnifying glass  they are perfectly formed fonts and look perfect. But held at arm length, they are just bunch of dots. Look around you and you'll see all these people sticking phones in their face.... :-DD

There is also problem of gestalt. When reading a text in some language, our brain has capability to correctly recognize what word it is even if some letters are smudged or not legible. Brain kind of recognizes it as a pattern. Captchas work that way.
So even if you cannot perfectly see all the details of the font (because it is too small) you will still recognize the words, especially after some practice.

But numbers are different. Numbers you need to see, clearly and unambiguously, each one. You need to see decimal point(comma), grouping, you need to see SI prefixes...

So there is a limit how small stuff can get on a screen. An by that I mean in millimeters, not pixels.
On wr9054 they actually use less pixels for elements and fonts are more blocky... But large enough to be legible.
But since screen is larger, that gives them more millimeters for the waveform.

On SDS6000 it is closer to what you see on wr9054, because of 12" screen. I would consider SDS6000 layout to be at the edge of what can be achieved. Any further miniaturization would be potentially too much for normal reading.

Offline blurpy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3243 on: March 06, 2022, 11:49:51 am »
Try the other measurement style. With only a couple of measurements it will be more compact.
Like this:

The following users thanked this post: Martin72

Online mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3244 on: March 06, 2022, 02:29:00 pm »

There is also problem of gestalt. When reading a text in some language, our brain has capability to correctly recognize what word it is even if some letters are smudged or not legible. Brain kind of recognizes it as a pattern. Captchas work that way.
So even if you cannot perfectly see all the details of the font (because it is too small) you will still recognize the words, especially after some practice.

But numbers are different. Numbers you need to see, clearly and unambiguously, each one. You need to see decimal point(comma), grouping, you need to see SI prefixes...

Great analogy, generally in engineering numbers are more important than letters and can't be interpreted!!

Best,
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Offline gralco

« Reply #3245 on: March 06, 2022, 04:34:18 pm »

If you are using Linux (specifically Fedora 35) you can try out my build here: https://github.com/gralco/libsigrok/releases/tag/sds2000x_plus

The following users thanked this post: dreamcat4

Offline Dracarris

• Contributor
« Reply #3246 on: March 07, 2022, 01:08:12 am »
Thanks for noting, that was not intentional. I now uploaded a version that is text selectable (and it is updated as well ;-)

https://github.com/RudisElectronicsLab/RTB_SDS_DSOX_review

Very nice, also with clickable ToC :)

Offline Angus

• Contributor
« Reply #3247 on: March 07, 2022, 06:58:42 am »
Regarding the dots mode issue:

There is no need to do any further tests on this level.

It is already confirmed, that the SDS2000X Plus behaves differently to e.g. an SDS6000. The latter doesn't do any re-positioning of the samples, no matter if x or sin(x)/x is selected. Still the measurements appear correct, even the ones related to the trigger position.

There might be a bug in the SDS2000X Plus trigger handling. Also the huge difference in waveform update speed seems implausible.

I'm in the process of investigating the issue right now, this requires lots of measurements, including waveform update speed under various conditions and settings, including automatic measurments, for both the SDS2000X Plus and the SDS6000. All this will take quite some time.

I surely do not mean to be impatient, but if you can give information about investigations or if there is official information from Siglent I would love to hear.  I think it is (although speculation) in interessting idea if Siglent might have changed dot-mode algorithms on perpose because they introduced eye diagram.

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #3248 on: March 09, 2022, 09:15:20 pm »
Today I´ve got the permission to order a scope and a currentprobe for our testfield and I did it.
Siglent SDS2104X-Plus and siglent CP5500....Cost more than fourtimes of the scope... :P

Today the SDS2104X-Plus arrived, the current probe will arrive appx 2 weeks later.
It´s always the same, men becomes to children waiting for christmas, when someone comes with a package in his arms.. 8)
What´s this...Who is siglent...costs so less...looks nice...and so on.
We didn´t turn it on today because of acclimation.
Maybe a little bit of playing with it tomorrow, but really using lasts a while.
First register it into our equipment list, then sending away for calibration - without calibration, we´re not "allowed" to use it.
But in the "playing time", I can do something interesting, for example compare it to the "nearest" opponent here in the testfield, the lecroy ws3024z.
BTW, it´the first SDS2104X-Plus, when we´re confident with it, two more will follow in the next weeks.
BTW the second, it´s a pity we buy it in a moment, where no promos are avaible except the FG/LA thing, we don´t need.

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3249 on: March 09, 2022, 11:02:26 pm »
First register it into our equipment list, then sending away for calibration - without calibration, we´re not "allowed" to use it.

Mine came with a calibration certificate in the box.  Not good enough?
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf