Author Topic: Calibratory D-105 DC Precision Voltage Reference Standard  (Read 297196 times)

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
Re: Calibratory D-105 DC Precision Voltage Reference Standard
« Reply #400 on: February 19, 2015, 10:59:28 am »
Almost 48 hours later, I am back in my lab.
It seems at first there was a increase in the first few hours and then the output stayed more constant.
At the end of the graph there is another slight increase, this started after I came in to the lab and turned the light and other instruments on.
Standard deviation is 0.000011 over this time.

But I must say that the 5V reference was turned on just an hour before the test was started.
It would make more sense to restart another 48 hour data collection.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline SteveyG

• Supporter
  • Soldering Equipment Guru
« Reply #401 on: February 19, 2015, 11:40:31 am »
It looked like popcorn noise, but the noise pulses lasted too long.
Then it got time to properly shield the LM399 ICs and use a good quality coax cable to connect the LM399 to the DMM.

Interesting, and extremely relevant.   Thanks for posting, I will remember this. If I ever get into ppm and sub-ppm requirements, I will shield my references and use coax to bring it to a meter in the future.

Yes I think I need to purchase some BNC to 4mm adaptors.

What is all that circuitry on the right?

Parts for an audio DAC. TOSLINK/SPDIF input, ASRC, Wolfson DAC. I was experimenting with various configurations and automating switching in/out various options so I could do blind tests of whether anything makes any difference to the sound.
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/sdgelectronics/
Use code: “SDG5” to get 5% off JBC Equipment at Kaisertech

Offline blackdog

• Frequent Contributor
  • Please stop pushing bullshit...
« Reply #402 on: February 19, 2015, 12:29:27 pm »
Hi  HighVoltage,

This is the way i do it...

DMM at least 24 Houre on.
Power up the reference at least 24 hour.
Use shielded kabel, or use a twisted pair, short as posible.
Be careful with drafts!!!
Shield your connectors with a little foam.

Measure it for say 48 hour, save your measurement.
Power down your reference for 4 hours, leave everything as it is.

Power on your reference and start another 48 hour of measuring time, save it, and compare the results.
You can repeat this several times, but leave the DMM ON, and do not remove the cables.

This why you need more than two 6, digit or better DMM's  :D

Most of the time i use de "NULL" function on my DMM's and on the 34461A i  choose a 20uV span in the graphic representation.
10uV is 1PPM if your reference is 10V.

Kind regarts,
Blackdog

« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 08:41:47 am by blackdog »
Necessity is not an established fact, but an interpretation.

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #403 on: February 19, 2015, 01:42:29 pm »
Hello Blackdog,

Thanks for your many suggestions.
I will make some new short and twisted cables and start a new 48h collection of data.
I was a little surprised that the voltage standard had such a drift.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline blackdog

• Frequent Contributor
  • Please stop pushing bullshit...
« Reply #404 on: February 19, 2015, 01:52:24 pm »
Hi HighVoltage,

I was a little surprised that the voltage standard had such a drift.
Be aware, that the 34461A is about 1PPM / Celsius (my two instruments) around 19 to 23C, i dit not test them on a higher temperatuur in my LAB.

Kind regarts,
Blackdog
Necessity is not an established fact, but an interpretation.

Offline quarks

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #405 on: February 19, 2015, 02:23:48 pm »

BNC is not a good connector for DC low EMF

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/help-wanted-low-and-high-ohm-measuremet/msg173641/#msg173641

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #406 on: February 19, 2015, 03:09:17 pm »

BNC is not a good connector for DC low EMF

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/help-wanted-low-and-high-ohm-measuremet/msg173641/#msg173641
BNC is among the best ones for low thermal EMF but I think you'll need gold plated banana plugs:
http://uk.farnell.com/pomona/3269/adaptor-bnc-jack-mini-dbl-banana/dp/2406419
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #407 on: February 19, 2015, 10:42:17 pm »
Yeah I use bnc too, along with low triboelectric cables.

Sent from my Tablet
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline Awesome14

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #408 on: February 21, 2015, 04:51:52 pm »
Let's just stick with professional opinions and solid research work.
Also where is the "solid research work"......please let's see it good sir  :scared:
I posted a 40-hour trend plot to the item description. The device was in the early stages when I released it. I just burned in a batch for 35 days, tuned the temperature-compensation circuitry, calibrated them, and shipped them out. Everyone who tried one liked it. So, there never has been any data beyond about one month. I'm selling them so fast I don't have test units.

The other thing is: my units do not require to remain powered-up, like the Fluke 732A, 732B, so it really makes no sense to leave it powered on for long periods, unless one requires it. The best way to test the units is to use them, and power them down when not in use. Then, after 30, 60, 90, 120 days measure the drift. But powering the unit 24/7 is considered excessive and unnecessary, and drift figures may increase. 
Anything truly new begins as a thought.

Offline Awesome14

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #409 on: February 21, 2015, 06:10:33 pm »
My standard is the only standard to successfully employ tunable, passive tempco employing a heat-equalization pipe. Why didn't you think of that?

errrmahgerd !!  a "passive tempco heat-equalization pipe" !!!!

You are most certainly right sir....I would never think of such a ludicrous thing.....I bow and am humbled by such a device.... :palm:

"Tuning" the tempco ?   :-DD  Where do you come up with this shit..... :palm:
What you do not understand you find humorous, or you revile it.

BTW I am very familiar with passive heatpipe technology
Your are undoubtedly referring to passive refrigeration, which is one application of a heat pipe, and which uses the familiar and cylindrical form of a pipe.
....but explain how a passive heat pipe, "tunes" the "tempco" in a "sealed" enclosure   ;)  Doesn't that TDP have to escape the case somehow?  Or does it fly into the "quantum vacuum"?    I don't see any heatpipes in the teardown, nor do I see an external path for the heatpipe to transfer thermal energy to a heat exchanger....nor do I see a fan to further remove that energy from the external heat exchanger.....furthermore....why would you want to REMOVE heat? 
As I implied above, you hold a parochial view of the term heat-pipe. I'm using a more theoretical-thermodynamic sense of heat pipeing, without the passive refrigeration. I'm just pumping heat as a physical circuit inside a closed system, as a distribution method. Don't confuse my use of the word, "circuit" with the more narrow view of electronic circuit. There are also heat circuits used mainly in chemical engineering. I've simply applied the concept for use in my standard.

Does the circuit somehow generate enough heat that it will melt the plastic enclosure?  You are familiar with the concept of "ovenizing" these device right?
Ovenizing requires power; power requirements that precludes the use of small, inexpensive batteries for input power.   

Heat pipes are designed to transfer heat form one place to another.....usually from a source of heat, to a heat exchanger....I.E. from a let's say a microprocessor to a thermally bonded "pad"....through the heatpipe itself, to a heat exchanger...which is located a distance form the heat source....and usually to a heatsink, with some form of active cooling solution.....I.E. from cpu to external heat exchanger....with some form of active cooling....the purpose is to move heat OUT of the case.....

Another example would be a sodium filled valve-stem.....which is designed to (once again) REMOVE heat from a cylinder head valve seat....

I am a bit puzzled by how a "passive" heat pipe helps stabilize a monolithic voltage ref IC.....usually we want to pump heat INTO them....have you figured out a way to "make heat" passively?  That is simply astounding.....I would like to know more.  You and the "quantum vacuum" guy must be good friends.....

BTW is this your "heatpipe"?  Because that is simply a piece of foil....and it appears you are trying to move heat between some kind of resistor (or diode...I can't tell because it appears you have slathered everything in some type of non thermal adhesive) and the top of the IC package.....sorry but that is NOT a heat pipe....a heatpipe is a hollow (vapor cavity), tubular (sometime oval or "flat" but hollow non the less) device, usually filled with a type of "wick"....
In the most parochial view, yes, what you say is a heatpipe. But in an interdisciplinary sense a heatpipe does not necessarily have a cylindrical shape, nor is it even necessarily hollow. Sometimes it is desirable to transfer heat from one part of a closed system to another, and this is no less the job of a heat pipe than passive refrigeration. 

You do also realize you could have done this same thing, by designing a proper PCB, with a common thermal layer...and a REF IC that is in a "can" (TO package), flipped into the "dead bug" configuration.....although I don't really see the point of either....you have no controlled heat source....unless your "heatpipe" is once again aligned with the "quantum vacuum"....
Rather than being freed by your knowledge, you are enslaved by it. If you knew who you are insulting, you would be aghast at yourself. But you assume anything you do not understand is worthy of ridicule, contempt, or is irrelevant.

I have learned what I know first by scientific theory, from which I have developed applications. I am not one who learns at the application level. My self-image in no way depends on my knowledge. If I'm incorrect, so be it! I welcome correction. But is it's only a matter of semantics, I don't really care. If it's something of substance, I welcome it! 

still feel like playing?   :bullshit:

Your words ring hollow, because you justify being correct at the expense of broadening your knowledge base. I'm confident, whereas you cling to a narrow view, demanding that it be recognized as the pinnacle of truth, when in fact it is a slice of a bigger picture. And when you introduce malice toward others, you reveal who you really are; not to be trusted.

Offline Awesome14

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #410 on: February 21, 2015, 06:15:29 pm »

That's exactly what is going to happen. Due to no part of mine in it, but you earned it. No one is claiming miracles or magic regarding the D-105 DC. The members of this board appear as utter fools because of their presumption and arrogance, something they apparently cannot hide even if they try. Nor can they accept the truth even when it is known. No, they insist on hammering away at the less fortunate, the weak and disabled.

Wait, i thought you said you were mentally superior to all of us, rich beyond the need for financial gain and knew how to bend the laws of nature.....

now you say you are less fortunate, weak and disabled.....

I will most certainly agree with you on the disabled part....you know that you can get medication that might help you with that though?  Maybe your "brilliant cardiologist friend" can help get you that Rx ?  Although I don't think they allow physicians to write scripts posthumously :clap:

If you took into consideration only my words, and not the assumption you attach to them, you would see that I never claimed what you say I do.

Offline Awesome14

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #411 on: February 21, 2015, 06:18:06 pm »
Awesome14, temperature compensated references have been around for a long time. There's even an LT app note showing a schematic for one (Jim Williams AN47 maybe).

Speaking of Jim Williams, he's a true genius and someone I truly admire. The world lost a brilliant mind the day he died.

The fact that you won't show us what's so "obvious" that we missed is akin to a kid on the playground going "I've got something you don't, nanana boo boo!"

It leads me to believe that you're just blowing smoke.

Also, show me exactly what TunerSandwich edited in his quote.

Real scientists and engineers don't act the way you do. God, I can't imagine the way you'd react at having a paper or something peer reviewed. You'd flip the fuck out and smite them all with God's name.

You're either a troll or insane.

Sent from my Smartphone

[color=”red”]It does NOT mean: I've evaluated all possibilities....[/color]

[color=”red”]It does NOT mean: I've evaluated all possibilities, and I've discovered the device is controlled by magic! [/color]

I have chosen to protect my work using trade-secret rather than patent. Therefore, as I said before, I'm not going to reveal what protects my work, no matter how many times the members call it worthless. Because I know there is nothing like it for the price.

You fucking dumbass, he didn't edit your post, he quoted the first paragraph in a wall of text and truncated it for brevity. You're friends with God and the most brilliant mind in the world, yet you don't even know what an ellipsis is... (I'd tell you, but it's a trade secret.)

By the way, I'm 80% done with a PCB based on "your" design. I'll be selling them on eBay for $50. So you're right, there will be nothing like it for the price. Because I'll be undercutting you by $100 with a more professional product. Once you go out of business, I'll stop.

I'll be losing money in labor, but I'll more than make up for it in sheer pleasure. It'll be like having an orgasm every time one sells.

Sent from my Tablet

It was truncated in a strategic manner. If you knew who it is that you call names, you would lament in bitterness.

Offline Awesome14

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #412 on: February 21, 2015, 06:21:01 pm »
Awesome14; seriously, no matter the performance claims, you can't sell this stuff without seriously upgrading the build quality.

Others; I'd say, leave the poor guy alone. He obviously has wiring problems way beyond the technical stuff.

my 2c

The items are hand-made. They're not going to look as perfect as machine-made products. But they work better than machine-made products.

Offline Awesome14

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #413 on: February 21, 2015, 06:22:41 pm »
I don't see any heatpipes in the teardown

Maybe he thinks all the plated holes in the perf board are heat pipes. After-all, they're metallic and kind of pipe shaped  ;D
They saw but did not understand. Therefore, they ridiculed what made no sense to them.

Offline Awesome14

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #414 on: February 21, 2015, 06:32:28 pm »
I don't see any heatpipes in the teardown

Maybe he thinks all the plated holes in the perf board are heat pipes. After-all, they're metallic and kind of pipe shaped  ;D

If you look at the pictures....and try to decipher Awesome14's comment....this is what I believe he is saying....

He has glued a piece of copper foil, between a diode, and the ref IC case....he is calling that a "heatpipe".  Ok it's not.  I think he is saying that he is cooking that poor little diode, and expecting that a thin piece of copper foil is somehow transferring enough thermal energy from the poor little diode (which is his "heater") to "stabilize" the REF IC.  The efficiency of heat transfer across that piece of foil is nil.  Also the diode is right next to a shit bottom of the barrel trimmer....which hasn't even had the wiper screw glued in place.  So in essence he is creating more of a problem than solving one.  The majority of heat (which is hardly any) is not traveling across the copper foil to the REF innards....it's just traveling, via convection, into the case of the trimmer.

Ok fine...even then I doubt this has any significant impact on anything in this circuit.  If his theory is to heat the case of the REF then why not just take some nichrome wire...zig zag it across the top of the REF IC case....bond it thermally and run some current through it?  That would be far more efficient than his method....and still that isn't the proper way to ovenize this package.

This all could be avoided...by simply designing a proper PCB....with a thermal layer...bonded to a TO (can) REF IC, in the dead bug config....bond the case of the TO package to the thermal layer with some thermal "grease"....and then bond a proper controlled heater to the thermal layer....just like everyone else does....

Instead he claims this is somehow innovative, and we are all too stupid too see it....I am sorry but I am all for helping people, but not when they act like some elitist and call everyone here inferior....ESPECIALLY when they have ZERO basis in their claims...NO data to prove anything and start talking about being handed circuit designs from God himself....throw in vampires, angles, and whatever other bullshit is flying out of this guys mouth, and I just don't feel like being nice anymore....

I said back on page one, that the REF102C is in fact an excellent monolithic ref IC.....I have worked with them many times, and if you hand select (bin) the IC, you can easily get better than 2ppm per year stability....out of the plastic package.  No big deal there.

What I am amazed at is that DESPITE the poor layout and construction of Awesome14's "reference" the Ti REF102C is getting anywhere near 2ppm stability (+/- so 4ppm really) for even a day or two....I still see zero data showing anything about stability over 30, 90, 180, 256,etc etc etc days....

If anything I say this whole scenario just shows how good the REF102C can be....even when someone who has no idea what they are doing slaps one together with perfboard....shit components and construction techniques....

Again I have used the REF102C in a proper ovenized enclosure design...with proper supporting components, and it's a nice little IC, for a reasonable cost.....easy to implement etc etc etc....and IF you hand select the IC you CAN get better than 1.5ppm stability over a year or more....fine, no big deal...that is not innovative, astounding or anything other than "decent".....

The claims of "heatpipes" and "revolutionary design"....and then insulting us all on the basis that since we don't agree, we are somehow mentally inferior and closed minded...is simply going past the point where I feel like lending any advice or being a nice guy....

So again the only conclusion here, is that DESPITE Awesome14's total ignorance and terrible mental disabilities, the REF102C is a half way decent REF IC....I am mainly still here reading and commenting, because I find this entire thread utterly hilarious, on the basis of the divine claims, breaking the laws of physics claims, assassination conspiracy etc etc etc....it's pure comedy at this point....nothing anyone says here is actually going to help Awesome14, he is far beyond that....

To top it off Awesome14 is SELLING these on eBAY....with bogus descriptions....no pictures of internals....and for a price that doesn't justify anything he has done.  Anyone here or there could easily order the same IC from Mouser or Digikey or wherever, for not much money...slap it on a perfboard...with half way decent components....throw it in a hammond enclosure and probably have BETTER results, for under $50. 

So basically this is an eBAY scam, and constitutes fraud....and that is simply shameful....there is nothing innovative or "magical" about the "product"....it's built on nothing more than an application schematic handed down from Burr-Brown to Ti and then from Ti to Awesome14....and he didn't even implement it properly....why would anyone want to help this guy?  He is scum...
Your malice toward the innocent belies your inner motivations. You cannot rob me of my accomplishments. You cannot prove me wrong. You're inert; completely devoid of influence over me. Yet, you are my slave, because you hold me in contempt. I control you. My very existence controls the way you think and feel. I've revealed for all to see who you really are. You're seething! You seek to destroy. But you only destroy yourself. It's pathetic!

Offline Awesome14

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #415 on: February 21, 2015, 06:34:50 pm »
And if you take a good look in this thread, you will see the firsts attacks come from awesome14.

I agree, in the start, it was looking good, with good points on how to do, and how to evaluate this kind of circuits. But when the people from this forum started to try to get real tests, then the maker came and start to try make everyone to think the same way he does.
Using non-scientific things to explain the circuit, blah blah...

Then, after he show some attacks to whom disagree from him, the things come more comedy... From some pages there is nothing but funny posts, from one side or another.

No big deal. There is somethings that we don't really say to someone, but if he is concerned about this, stop to say something to us (like all that crap about how he get the circuit from heavens, or something about vampires, about the cardiologist who know so much of electronics, about death attempts, how all this are connected to some voltage reference circuit?)

More than a scam, it is a troll.
Utterly nonsensical and contrived twisting of my words

Offline Awesome14

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #416 on: February 21, 2015, 06:38:25 pm »

The 8-digit meter and the 732A belong to our calibration lab, which is owned by CalibratoryTM, LLC. I personally own a large part of CalibratoryTM, LLC, which also manufactures the voltage reference, D-105 10DC. But no man is an island! We all need other people to accomplish anything.

For the record, there's no LLC registered as Calibratory, or CalibratoryTM in the states of MN or WI. I also checked federal tax records and found nothing. This leads me to believe that The name is up for grabs

Anyhoo, we've beaten the piss out of a dead horse. We saw earlier that it actually performs relatively well and that is really a testament to the IC. Go buy the IC and some parts for $30 and you have a decent ref!
The IC is +- 5mVDC. The reason my reference works so well is because of me. If it was the IC, anyone could do what I've done. But the fact is, no one ever has, all things considered, especially the price. I'm selling every piece I can make, 2 months into the future!

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #417 on: February 21, 2015, 07:56:48 pm »
Its happening again.
Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline paulie

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #418 on: February 21, 2015, 08:06:04 pm »
I control you. My very existence controls the way you think and feel. I've revealed for all to see who you really are. You're seething! You seek to destroy. But you only destroy yourself. It's pathetic!

Yay!!!! He's back. I was never so glad to be wrong.

Now let's hope "Kiss on First Date" didn't get too frightened away by my temper tantrum response to his rude posts.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #419 on: February 21, 2015, 08:07:49 pm »
I control you. My very existence controls the way you think and feel. I've revealed for all to see who you really are. You're seething! You seek to destroy. But you only destroy yourself. It's pathetic!

This is Crazy for "lol i troll you"
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #420 on: February 21, 2015, 08:17:32 pm »
I can't find the ::eats popcorn:: emoticon in the list of smileys. This forum is definitely missing a feature  :(

Offline mamalala

• Supporter
« Reply #421 on: February 21, 2015, 08:21:12 pm »
I can't find the ::eats popcorn:: emoticon in the list of smileys. This forum is definitely missing a feature  :(

That emoticon would need to be so huge here that it would probably would take ages to load...

Greetings,

Chris

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #422 on: February 21, 2015, 08:21:45 pm »

This one's amusing but it's got me yelled at before, probably just for being too big and giffy >:D
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #423 on: February 21, 2015, 09:37:55 pm »
Or this one:

:-DD :-DD
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #424 on: February 21, 2015, 10:34:47 pm »

Awesome14, temperature compensated references have been around for a long time. There's even an LT app note showing a schematic for one (Jim Williams AN47 maybe).

Speaking of Jim Williams, he's a true genius and someone I truly admire. The world lost a brilliant mind the day he died.

The fact that you won't show us what's so "obvious" that we missed is akin to a kid on the playground going "I've got something you don't, nanana boo boo!"

It leads me to believe that you're just blowing smoke.

Also, show me exactly what TunerSandwich edited in his quote.

Real scientists and engineers don't act the way you do. God, I can't imagine the way you'd react at having a paper or something peer reviewed. You'd flip the fuck out and smite them all with God's name.

You're either a troll or insane.

Sent from my Smartphone

[color=”red”]It does NOT mean: I've evaluated all possibilities....[/color]

[color=”red”]It does NOT mean: I've evaluated all possibilities, and I've discovered the device is controlled by magic! [/color]

I have chosen to protect my work using trade-secret rather than patent. Therefore, as I said before, I'm not going to reveal what protects my work, no matter how many times the members call it worthless. Because I know there is nothing like it for the price.

You fucking dumbass, he didn't edit your post, he quoted the first paragraph in a wall of text and truncated it for brevity. You're friends with God and the most brilliant mind in the world, yet you don't even know what an ellipsis is... (I'd tell you, but it's a trade secret.)

By the way, I'm 80% done with a PCB based on "your" design. I'll be selling them on eBay for $50. So you're right, there will be nothing like it for the price. Because I'll be undercutting you by $100 with a more professional product. Once you go out of business, I'll stop.

I'll be losing money in labor, but I'll more than make up for it in sheer pleasure. It'll be like having an orgasm every time one sells.

Sent from my Tablet

It was truncated in a strategic manner. If you knew who it is that you call names, you would lament in bitterness.

So quit playing stupid games and tell us who you are.

The fact you won't leads me to believe you're a nobody with mental issues.

Sent from my Smartphone
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf