Author Topic: PICkit3: Firmware for use with PICkitminus  (Read 1443 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline DittmarTopic starter

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 2
  • Country: de
PICkit3: Firmware for use with PICkitminus
« on: March 04, 2026, 03:58:47 pm »
Hi,

I would like to program my application controller (PIC16LF18325) with PICkit3 using pk2cmd.exe – reason: fast automated programming on the test bench. Unfortunately, my application uses the PGD pin, so it only works when the PICkit is disconnected. I would now like to make a small change to the PICkit3 firmware to set the pin to open drain after programming. The pk2cmd project (https://github.com/jaka-fi/pk2cmd) contains a hex file that can be programmed with PICkitMinus. Unfortunately, there is no source code here – does anyone know where I can find this code and how to compile it?

BR
Dittmar
 

Offline spostma

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 186
  • Country: nl
Re: PICkit3: Firmware for use with PICkitminus
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2026, 04:33:25 pm »
as far as I know, the PicKit2 keeps the PGD/PGC pins high impedant when not active.

However, both the PK2 and PK3 programmers have fixed 4K7 pulldowns to GND on the PGD and PGC pins,
so firmware never could make these pins truly high-ohmic inputs.
 

Offline MikeK

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1364
  • Country: us
Re: PICkit3: Firmware for use with PICkitminus
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2026, 12:02:47 am »
Look at the schematic...The PICKit has 4.7Kohm pulldown resistors on both comm lines.
 

Offline DittmarTopic starter

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 2
  • Country: de
Re: PICkit3: Firmware for use with PICkitminus
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2026, 09:15:25 am »
I could easily desolder the resistors!?
 

Offline MikeK

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1364
  • Country: us
Re: PICkit3: Firmware for use with PICkitminus
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2026, 01:47:33 pm »
You could even more easily install an isolation switch for PGD.

The source code for pk2cmd is available from Microchip.
This is one person's clone of it: https://github.com/psmay/pk2cmd
 

Offline MikeK

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1364
  • Country: us
Re: PICkit3: Firmware for use with PICkitminus
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2026, 02:53:07 pm »
Oh, you're asking for the PICkit source code.  I have it somewhere; I got it from Microchip.  I'm sure if you do an 'Net search you can find it.
 

Offline 8goran8

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 40
  • Country: cs
Re: PICkit3: Firmware for use with PICkitminus
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2026, 07:01:45 pm »
https://www.microchip.com/en-us/tools-resources/archives/mplab-ecosystem
PICkit3 Programmer Firmware Source v2.00.05
PICkit3 Programmer Application Source v3.10
PICkit3 Programmer Application Setup v3.10
 
The following users thanked this post: stj

Offline coromonadalix

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8782
  • Country: ca
Re: PICkit3: Firmware for use with PICkitminus
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2026, 08:52:59 am »
i dont know if the SNAP board interface could be integrated in PICkitminus ?

got a few at 12$ usd before their price went bezerk
 


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->