Author Topic: RTOS Learning Journey: Project Idea needed  (Read 4189 times)

Offline Kittu20Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
RTOS Learning Journey: Project Idea needed
« on: August 08, 2023, 04:53:53 pm »
Hello everyone

I've been immersing myself in the fascinating realm of Real-Time Operating Systems (RTOS) with a focus on FreeRTOS. The concepts of task scheduling, synchronization, and multitasking have got me intrigued, but now I'm on the hunt for exciting project ideas to put theory into practice.

Please keep in mind that I'm looking for projects that are within my reach and not too advanced, so projects like radar systems, air traffic control, and satellites are a bit beyond my current capabilities.

Do you have any project suggestions that would be a perfect fit for a RTOS? I’d really appreciate it!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2023, 05:02:06 pm by Kittu20 »

Offline shtirka

• Contributor
Re: RTOS Learning Journey: Project Idea needed
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2023, 07:15:31 pm »
Hello,
One project (at least potentially) that you could do is some sort of a medical device or a combination of a health data collection system + smart watch for displaying the health data. The potential problem you have (at least in my personal experience) is that RTOSes in general are seen to have very little actual purpose outside of space, defence, aircraft, medical and vehicle control (everything else can normally be solved without ). So you might be pushed to find an interesting and yet simple real-world RTOS project for learning the RTOS principles.

//Ilya

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2023, 07:30:16 pm »
You probably want a simple problem that you can expand and use to explore different RTOS design patterns.

Consider a traffic light controller. Start simple, then expand to include traffic sensors, pedestrian request switches, internal logging, remote monitoring and control, etc.

Pretend you are caught up in a lawsuit where you are having to prove what happens (and/or happened) and why, and that you have to defend you choices and implementation. Those real world considerations can shape the design patterns you choose and implement.

Make sure you understand FSM events and actions, how external sensors cause interrupts that create events. Work out how to guarantee and verify timing by design (not measurement). Avoid multiple priorities; they cause as many problems as they help.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Kittu20

Online DiTBho

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2023, 09:51:15 pm »
what about a simple MODBUS server able to serve up to n clients?

mutex data (kind of central database, on the server)
n tasks, one for each client

:D
« Last Edit: August 08, 2023, 09:52:59 pm by DiTBho »
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2023, 10:02:57 pm »
How about starting with reading Hoare's "Communicating Sequential Processes"?  ;D

The following users thanked this post: newbrain, abeyer, DiTBho

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2023, 10:56:02 pm »
How about starting with reading Hoare's "Communicating Sequential Processes"?  ;D

An excellent idea :) Seriously.

Then spot the RTOS primitive functions that are useful for implementing a system using CSP design patterns - and use those and no other primitive functions.

Avoid using functions related to fiddling around with task scheduling.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline AVI-crak

• Regular Contributor
    • Rtos
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2023, 01:43:38 am »
Do you have any project suggestions that would be a perfect fit for a RTOS? I’d really appreciate it!
The most simple OS https://github.com/AVI-crak/Rtos_cortex/tree/master

Offline abeyer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2023, 02:36:16 am »

Then spot the RTOS primitive functions that are useful for implementing a system using CSP design patterns - and use those and no other primitive functions.

The only downside is you might find yourself yearning for a language that supports the formalism in a first-class way rather than rebuilding it with an ad-hoc subset of other primitives.  ;)

Offline westfw

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2023, 05:33:59 am »

How about starting with reading Hoare's "Communicating Sequential Processes"?

I dunno.  Communicating processes are the "interesting" and "difficult" part, but the "useful" part of an RTOS is usually being able to have processes that don't need to communicate (much) with each other.

The following users thanked this post: peter-h

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2023, 08:07:50 am »

The only downside is you might find yourself yearning for a language that supports the formalism in a first-class way rather than rebuilding it with an ad-hoc subset of other primitives.  ;)

Yes and no...

No: you don't have to yearn - use xC on the XMOS xCORE processors (up to 32 cores) with guaranteed hard realtime behaviour (i.e. not measure and hope you've come across the worst cas behaviour)

Yes: even if you have a trad language, "thinking in CSP" is a good way to structure a design and hence structure an implementation using whatever is available.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2023, 08:11:36 am »

How about starting with reading Hoare's "Communicating Sequential Processes"?

I dunno.  Communicating processes are the "interesting" and "difficult" part, but the "useful" part of an RTOS is usually being able to have processes that don't need to communicate (much) with each other.

"Process" in CSP is a much more general concept than an RTOS process. It can be a piece of hardware, or a piece of software running without any RTOS, or any combination. As one example, in the xC/xCORE ecosystem, each "process" has its own dedicated core, and the RTOS is implemented in hardware.

Having said that, avoiding comms between processes is a good principle - provided it makes the design and implementation simpler and easier to understand and modify.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2023, 08:14:46 am by tggzzz »

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2023, 11:06:34 am »
if you're looking at freeRTOS specifically, you could just read their book: https://www.freertos.org/Documentation/RTOS_book.html
(Mastering the FreeRTOS Real Time Kernel - a Hands On Tutorial Guide)
Even if it's written for freeRTOS 9 you can still implement the code examples in the current release. The book is easy to understand at it will also acquaint you with the API and the reference manual

Online Doctorandus_P

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2023, 11:59:55 am »
Nearly any microcontroller project does lots of things "seemingly simultaneous".
things like:

* Keyboard scanning.
* Display output (muliplexing some 7-segment displays is a fun beginners project).
* Gathering sensor data, keeping track of limits etc.
* Communication with external devices.

And for all "simple" applications this is usually done in a master loop combined with neatly placed ISR routines.
For small systems an RTOS is not needed.

When projects get bigger, quite often an RTOS is still not strictly needed, but it can be nice to add that extra abstraction layer for code readability and re-usablility. Barriers between parts of the software get bigger, and apart from the inherent complexity of the RTOS in itself, this makes software easier to understand, maintain and extend.

But keeping motivation is also much easier when you have a project that personally interests you.
I think it may be a good idea to search around the net (and/or search directly on gitlab) for a project that interests you, and then re-write that project to work with an RTOS.

Also, reading and analyzing code written by others is a separate skill. It's often less fun then writing your own code, but it is a quite essential skill that enables you to stand on the shoulders of all the giants before you. Without that skill you're playing among the insects in the grass. That can be fun too (I remember some book about that). It's just another branch in this Wonderfully Weird World.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2023, 12:02:13 pm »
if you're looking at freeRTOS specifically, you could just read their book: https://www.freertos.org/Documentation/RTOS_book.html
(Mastering the FreeRTOS Real Time Kernel - a Hands On Tutorial Guide)
Even if it's written for freeRTOS 9 you can still implement the code examples in the current release. The book is easy to understand at it will also acquaint you with the API and the reference manual

That appears to be a tutorial on how to invoke sequences of freeRTOS primitives. That's necessary and useful, but...

It does not indicate something I strongly suspect the OP needs: a discussion of the "high level" structure of his application and its use of any RTOS's facilities. Understanding such "Design Patterns" - particularly when and why (and when not) to use individual patterns will greatly benefit the OP.

Whether the OP realises that is a separate issue, of course.

Offline Kittu20Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2023, 04:49:39 pm »
Hey everyone!

If you've got hands-on experience with real-time operating systems (RTOS), I'd love to hear about your projects.

Offline ralphrmartin

• Frequent Contributor
    • Me
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2023, 05:41:55 pm »
The book
FreeRTOS for ESP32-Arduino
is quite an illuminating read with plenty of practical examples if you are getting started.

Offline wek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2023, 05:48:50 pm »
I don't use RTOS, but on general note, I believe in learning through both positive and negative experience.

Positive is the straighforward one: write a program which both blinks a LED and transmits anecdotes through an UART.

Negative is hard and I don't think there are many helps with that out there. It basically means, how to write a program which does fail, so that I can observe that failure.

JW

Online Tation

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2024, 05:08:38 pm »
Buy any funny chip (say: a FM receiver, a MP3 decoder,...) and add a keyboard, a display and put that chip to work.

Offline tellurium

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2024, 07:21:30 am »
Some RTOS project ideas can be taken from this 2023 thread:
https://forums.freertos.org/t/practical-rtos-project-ideas-for-real-world-applications/17981

And some more ideas from the 2022 thread: https://www.edaboard.com/threads/rtos-learning.407994/
« Last Edit: May 14, 2024, 07:33:03 am by tellurium »
Open source embedded network library https://github.com/cesanta/mongoose
TCP/IP stack + TLS1.3 + HTTP/WebSocket/MQTT in a single file

Offline TomS_

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2024, 11:58:21 am »
I used FreeRTOS to implement a battery charger with a twist.

It not only turns a charger on and off during daylight hours when the battery needs it, but it also collects some stats that are both displayed on a local LCD and uploaded over LoRaWAN so that I can graph them at home and keep an eye on things remotely (since the charger is in a remote building, and is actually solar powered).

There are a few tasks (I think about 13 +/- in total), and a couple of other things like mutexes and queues in use for things like: user interface, ADC readings, relay control, LoRaWAN uplink messages etc.

An RTOS probably wasn't strictly necessary to achieve all of this, but it was a fun learning experience and the various features offered by FreeRTOS made some aspects much more trivial to implement I think.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2024, 12:01:05 pm by TomS_ »

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2024, 12:50:42 pm »

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2024, 01:12:53 pm »
Some RTOS project ideas can be taken from this 2023 thread:
https://forums.freertos.org/t/practical-rtos-project-ideas-for-real-world-applications/17981

And some more ideas from the 2022 thread: https://www.edaboard.com/threads/rtos-learning.407994/

I hope the OP takes note. I won't hold my breath.

Offline TomS_

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2024, 12:42:49 am »
Something in the back of my mind was saying "this name sounds familiar". And there you go.

Offline tellurium

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2024, 04:42:02 am »
On topic:

The best way to learn something is to implement it yourself.
My guess is that most of the forum users at some point attempted to implement an OS.

Here is my attempt to create a very basic RTOS - just a simple scheduler, for ARM. About 200 lines of code, two files only - rtos.c and rtos.h, and (I think) easy to understand:
https://github.com/cpq/newrtos

No preemption, no message passing/queue API, just a simple round-robin scheduler with 1ms tick.
Open source embedded network library https://github.com/cesanta/mongoose
TCP/IP stack + TLS1.3 + HTTP/WebSocket/MQTT in a single file

Offline Postal2

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2024, 07:23:10 am »
I'm on the hunt for exciting project ideas
Make electronic access-cards and keys copier. Very simple. Very useful. Helps to avoid criminals to steal your keys when you need copy.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf