Author Topic: Wich Programmer for MachXO2 FPGAs?  (Read 5828 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline HagridTopic starter

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 33
Wich Programmer for MachXO2 FPGAs?
« on: January 07, 2018, 11:19:08 am »
Hello everyone, I am looking for a JTAG programmer to flash the MachXO2 FPGAs from Lattice.
Since I am quite new to FPGAs, I am not sure which programmer I will need.
There are some clones of a Lattice programmer on Ebay.
The description of these clones usually has listet the supported FPGAs.
The MachXO is always listed, but the MachXO2 and the MachXO3 not.
I wonder if these are supported too.

Greetings, Hagrid  :)
 

Offline daveshah

  • Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 356
  • Country: at
    • Projects
Re: Wich Programmer for MachXO2 FPGAs?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 11:38:15 am »
I use the FTDI C232HM-DDHSL cable which is detected as an official programmer by Lattice's tools, and reasonably priced. However for some devices you may need a tiny bit of capacitance, around 18pF, added between the TCK pin and ground.
 
The following users thanked this post: Hagrid, m98

Offline HagridTopic starter

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 33
Re: Wich Programmer for MachXO2 FPGAs?
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 12:51:15 pm »
Thanks for the hint! It is really a lot cheaper than the official programming tool.
I am very unfamiliar with JTAG. Do I need to do some configurations to get the adapter working?
I have read somewhere that all JTAG programmers do almost the same but need to be configured for different parts.
 

Offline SiliconWizard

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 17799
  • Country: fr
Re: Wich Programmer for MachXO2 FPGAs?
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 04:07:19 pm »
Thanks for the hint! It is really a lot cheaper than the official programming tool.
I am very unfamiliar with JTAG. Do I need to do some configurations to get the adapter working?
I have read somewhere that all JTAG programmers do almost the same but need to be configured for different parts.

Lattice tools can be used with any FT2232H that's properly configured. MPSSE (needed for JTAG) is on channel A of the FT2232H. Look at the MachXO2 breakout board schematics to see how it's connected to the MachXO2. Attached is a configuration template for FT_PROG that works (in a zip file, the forum doesn't allow xml files apparently).
 


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->