EEVblog > News/Suggestions/Help

How to delete my account?

(1/3) > >>

Varal:
Hi everyone,

I would like to remove my account from the forum. However I don't see an option to do so in my profile section. Could I please ask one of the admins/moderators for some assistance?

Thanks in advance!

johnny:Dumb:
Same here, not account delete button as far as i can see... Varal, did you find a solution? I assume if you did, i will never know  :palm:

MarkF:
"Once on the interwebs, it's there forever."

There is no way to delete an account.
If you don't want to use it, just walk away.

Kean:

--- Quote from: johnny:Dumb on March 30, 2024, 06:09:13 am ---Same here, not account delete button as far as i can see... Varal, did you find a solution? I assume if you did, i will never know  :palm:

--- End quote ---

The whole point of a forum like this is sharing knowledge.  You even seem to acknowledge this in your first post with:

--- Quote ---And this is hopefully helpful for other people too
--- End quote ---

If you feel you really must redact some information you can go back and edit or remove your post, except you cannot remove the first post of a topic.
Keep in mind that substantially editing or removing old posts, and leaving the replies, it just makes the topic more confusing for future readers.
And as per MarkF's comment anything you post on the internet is basically there (somewhere) forever.

johnny:Dumb:

--- Quote from: Kean on March 30, 2024, 10:07:19 am ---If you feel you really must redact some information you can go back and edit or remove your post,

--- End quote ---

I have no intention of removing a post or unshare. I will change my E-Mail address and have not used the forums in a long time. In the borderline unthinkable event of someone replying to one of the old posts or otherwise would like to get in touch with me, that would not be possible. Not having used the forum in a very long time, i prefer not to provide my new E-mail for the simple reason of trying to reduce the spam risk and simply good internet hygiene. Let's not hope this never happens, but this forum may not be same from data breaches.
In other places, a deleted account would keep any post intact but simply display something like "Deleted user", or "Anonymous". That way people are informed that the account is gone and reaching that user makes no sense. Personally, it does not bother me much that my soon old Mail and a virtually dead account linger in the dusty corners of the inter webs.

--- Quote from: MarkF on March 30, 2024, 06:25:47 am ---"Once on the interwebs, it's there forever."

--- End quote ---

Maybe in Australia, data laws in Europe are a bit more strict. If I wish personal information to be gone, there is not much sense in whining. That is why most "serious" websites available in Europe simply have a button to do so.

All that said, i got the message, will walk away (delete the login information on my end as I am also cleaning Keepass out).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version