The schematic with all the right parts connected is much easier to read. Basically, if you see a schematic cut in to little rectangular blocks, and you don't even have a system over view of the whole thing, then you just have to go searching for labels to see how the blocks fit together. And worse: Whether a label connects two or more blocks together. It's a horrible way of drawing schematics and it seems to have become popular in the last 5 years or so.
Thanks. I thought about using buses to at least indicate where the connections go. Maybe I should do that.
Well, yes, it has become popular, but it also helps divide the project into modules, so in some ways it's better when you need to fix or adjust something afterwards.
It's still only a partial schematic. Looks like rectified mains at 1kW, but no power factor correction. Then a bunch of stages for mosfet drivers, then it goes to an transformer that is not in the schematic, and the feedback comes back from "somewhere". Or is TR2 the main power transformer?
There are two transformers. TR2 is the main transformer, while TR1 is the gate-driver transformer. The PWM and feedback loop are handled on the secondary side. The PWM controller (SG3525) is powered by a startup power supply (a small flyback module). Once the main power supply starts up, the auxiliary supply is shut down and the controller is powered from the secondary side.
What's the history of this design? Did you create it yourself or are you reverse engineering / modifying an existing power supply?
I'm designing it myself while studying the process. It's based on other DIY projects, videos, articles and PSU modules that I got my hands on.
I know that going big isn't necessarily the best approach, but building a flyback converter wasn't something I wanted to do because it comes with its own set of problems. The core air gap and compensating an optocoupler seemed like too much trouble.
The design of a 1kW power supply is not a beginner task, and it's a very bad way to attempt to learn control theory. A single wrongly routed track or missed parasitic behavior can completely mess up the stability.
I get you, but even if I build a step-down converter, I still have to learn control theory and deal with parasitic effects. Also, step-down converters have their own internal comparator. If I learn how to handle the feedback loop using an external comparator first, it will be easier than having to figure out how the internal comparator works and how it is connected internally.
At this stage, I’m not struggling with building the PSU itself. I’m struggling with compensating the feedback loop. So I don’t see how building a step-down converter would help me considering I might get myself into new challenges.