Author Topic: Challenge Thread: The fastest breadboard oscillator on the mudball  (Read 57375 times)

Offline cj

• Contributor
Re: Challenge Thread: The fastest breadboard oscillator on the mudball
« Reply #175 on: June 18, 2020, 09:22:11 pm »
For who thinks the marker pins are part of the 'black magic' NOPE it works also without them.

@joe : thanks for welcoming me to the 1GHz+ club.
The 8569B is a nice but old SA and goes up to 22GHz.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 09:28:23 pm by cj »

The following users thanked this post: ogden, 0culus

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #176 on: June 18, 2020, 10:16:08 pm »
For who thinks the marker pins are part of the 'black magic' NOPE it works also without them.
It shall be noted that your >1GHz breadboard oscillator fully follows rule #3. Congrats!

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #177 on: June 18, 2020, 10:23:16 pm »
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 02:35:15 am by joeqsmith »

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #178 on: June 19, 2020, 03:15:15 am »
@Joe:
Breadboard: Fixing it is fine, just don't damage or modify it. It should be reversible to a pristine breadboard again.
Kapton: Yes, all that's going to do is act as an dielectric in a ghetto capacitor, so that's covered by rules 5 & 8.
Ferrite: Yes, Rule 5 & 8 again.
Positioning jig: Absolutely, if that's what it takes. Not sure if a lump of metal near your circuit is going to give you trouble. :scared:

I've been soldering to the plugged in wires, melting the breadboard every so often.   Then there was a lockup meltdown... Sadly this old breadboard will never be pristine again.   :-DD :-DD   

Thanks for clearing up my questions.

I plan to change over to using a small 3XAA battery pack.  I worry that one swipe with Tim's tail (our dog) on the power leads will end it.   

Now if LeCroy would just send me a 40GHz scope.   :-DD :-DD

Fortunately my cats have been (so far, knock on wood) leaving these experiments alone.  :-DD

I'd like a 40 Ghz scope too; I have plenty of monopoly dollars!  >:D

Anyway, I was able to hit 660 MHz using the same circuit but a faster 1 GHz transistor I found in my box of toys, and adding a high tech "ferrite" (really the tip of a small screwdriver  :box:) to the inductor loop. I want to experiment further so I won't share until I've extracted every last MHz out of it.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #179 on: June 19, 2020, 04:25:28 am »
I really figured the cat took that knob from my scope.   :-DD  She sleeps most of the time and doesn't cause much trouble.

I'm in the same boat, wasn't born with a silver spoon and no one accepts my funny money.    :-DD   Maybe I could offer LeCroy exclusive advertisement.... Nah... that's sounding too much like work....   :-DD

I added an LED to the battery pack to try and remind be to turn it off.  Also shown is the new oscillator on the right fitted with one of the new transistors.  At least I can afford the parts.   :-DD  Between the two oscillators is my chip of ferrite.  All sitting on the freq counter which is apart while I am trying to sort out how fast I can actually drive it. 

I see some gains with the ferrite but keeping things mechanically stable has been a problem.  Too bad the Revlon clear didn't work. 

I want to experiment further so I won't share until I've extracted every last MHz out of it.
   :-DD   With Trash and now CJ catching up fast, it's time for you to get some better parts.  There's always room for more in the 1GHz+ club!   

Offline herc

• Contributor
« Reply #180 on: June 19, 2020, 05:43:28 am »
@cj: thats a crazy oscillator. if this transistor still oscillates, even though there is the breadboard capacitance all over the place, (and with that weird "shortcut" inductor / resonator / ??? between collector and base), how can you ever built a non-oscillating amplifier with that thing   ?!?

Offline cj

• Contributor
« Reply #181 on: June 19, 2020, 07:30:36 am »
The circuit is basically a Pierce oscillator.
The base and collector are shorted (DC) but for this transistor as with many others Vce_saturated < Vbe.
With the 10k resistor the bias voltage is Vbe so the collector isn’t saturated yet and therefore the transistor works normally albeit at a low voltage.
I’ve tested this circuit at 3V and works fine. At this voltage the total power dissipation is about 0.7mW and the generated RF power is a small fraction of that.
If you want to build a non-oscillating amplifier with these types of transistors don’t use a breadboard.

Offline TheUnnamedNewbie

• Super Contributor
  • mmwave RFIC/antenna designer
« Reply #182 on: June 19, 2020, 09:43:20 am »
I've been thinking if you could use a gunn diode and use the walls of two slots in the breadboard like a waveguide. Add a short a bit further back between the two same walls to make your resonant section of waveguide. Point horn antenna at it to measure frequency.

The best part about magic is when it stops being magic and becomes science instead

"There was no road, but the people walked on it, and the road came to be, and the people followed it, for the road took the path of least resistance"

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #183 on: June 19, 2020, 05:34:18 pm »
joe, OTOH... This is all like watching Master Po and young Kwai Chang Caine discussing discipline in the rock garden...  :o
Playing with high speed parts is a lot of fun.  You should join the fun.

Ehhhh... I never was a very good engineer, even when I was paid to do it; too weak in the theoretical part and too strong in the hands-on part. Too much cannabis in the off-hours trying to keep my sanity in 1980s-90s corporate borgland deleted the rest to make room for Star Trek and Farscape episodes. :-DD

My idea of high-frequency gear nowadays is this... I'm more than content to be a spectator (and occasional commentary) here.   >:D

mnem
 :popcorn:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #184 on: June 19, 2020, 05:43:29 pm »
While your rules will not allow removing or cutting them, we certainly can skip over one to cut the capacitance down.  This helped.
:-+

It's really unstable.
Hint: The rules don't forbid shielding. Recycle some tinfoil hats.

Shield for the new oscillator.   For now, it makes a fit contact with the coax.   I would like to add some pins and plug it into the breadboard.   However, if I do this, I would stake it at the reference points only.   It does help with the outside parasitics.   Things like XYZ stages may have less effect..... 

The small part is a detector.   I can tell that the oscillator is running but that's about it.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #185 on: June 19, 2020, 05:48:42 pm »
My idea of high-frequency gear nowadays is this... I'm more than content to be a spectator (and occasional commentary) here.   >:D

Looks like my 189. 

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #186 on: June 19, 2020, 06:11:43 pm »
Here's my try at a minimalistic setup. It took a while because I had to repair the counter first. I don't think it can go any higher without breaking the rule that every connection has to be made via the breadboard. (excluding the SMA, they don't fit well in the breadboard...) So 1 active element and 1 resistor, and if you want to be precise one cap to couple the signal to the counter. The tuned parts are all 'embedded' in the breadboard, that's why I doubt I can get it any higher. I'm sure the power is not there, it runs on 2V 2mA :)
And yes, the breadboard will never be the same  :-\

1004847-0

1004845-1
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

The following users thanked this post: ogden, mnementh

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #187 on: June 19, 2020, 06:26:58 pm »
Here's my try at a minimalistic setup. It took a while because I had to repair the counter first. I don't think it can go any higher without breaking the rule that every connection has to be made via the breadboard. (excluding the SMA, they don't fit well in the breadboard...) So 1 active element and 1 resistor, and if you want to be precise one cap to couple the signal to the counter. The tuned parts are all 'embedded' in the breadboard, that's why I doubt I can get it any higher. I'm sure the power is not there, it runs on 2V 2mA :)
And yes, the breadboard will never be the same  :-\

Congratulations and welcome to the 1GHz club!   You're very close to joining the 5GHz club.  That ones a bit more exclusive.    :-DD

If you have a way to check the upper frequency limit of your counter and what options it has, could you please post them.   I suspect that mine with no options will start to fold back around 21GHz.  In other words, it seems like as the frequency is increased, the displayed value will decrease.  But I don't have a good way to prove it.   

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #188 on: June 19, 2020, 06:34:35 pm »
If you have a way to check the upper frequency limit of your counter and what options it has, could you please post them.   I suspect that mine with no options will start to fold back around 21GHz.  In other words, it seems like as the frequency is increased, the displayed value will decrease.  But I don't have a good way to prove it.

It doesn't have the power meter, nothing happens when I press the button and the box that supposed to sit behind the N connector entry is not there. I'm not sure about the 24 GHz option, but since the front panel says 18 GHz..? If you send me one of your breadboard oscillators I can try  ;D Are there any other options I'm not aware of?
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #189 on: June 19, 2020, 06:43:07 pm »
Looks like my 189.

Good eye.

I had to pare my bench back to just the essentials when I came to the Great White North; everything here either fit in one technician's toolbox or was built/acquired after I arrived. There's a 6022BE bought almost a year ago "to get me by" when I need to do more than count the angry pixies; I keep looking wistfully through the pages of Kijiji & FleaBay for a real wigglescope but no joy at any price I can justify.

mnem
 :popcorn:
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 06:47:22 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #190 on: June 19, 2020, 06:53:20 pm »
The 24GHz option is really what I care about.   If you don't have that, then I suspect your counter would be similar to mine.    I had started a thread here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hp-5342a-microwave-counter-max-freq-limit/msg3098932/#msg3098932

I don't have anyway to check mine which is why I asked.  I had bought this little amplifier at Dayton for a couple of bucks for the case and made a comb generator out of it.  This was connected to the RF generator, output was connected to a HP and into my counter.  It's very possible the signal is just too weak.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #191 on: June 19, 2020, 07:36:47 pm »
While your rules will not allow removing or cutting them, we certainly can skip over one to cut the capacitance down.  This helped.
:-+

It's really unstable.
Hint: The rules don't forbid shielding. Recycle some tinfoil hats.

Shield for the new oscillator.   For now, it makes a fit contact with the coax.   I would like to add some pins and plug it into the breadboard.   However, if I do this, I would stake it at the reference points only.   It does help with the outside parasitics.   Things like XYZ stages may have less effect..... 

The small part is a detector.   I can tell that the oscillator is running but that's about it.

Send it to me and I'll throw it on the 8566B  :-+

Where do you purchase copper mesh to make shielding? I would like to get some for a variety of reasons.  >:D

I still have those 5GHz transistors so I will probably do some more experimenting this weekend while I wait for stuff to come.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #192 on: June 19, 2020, 09:08:32 pm »

Where do you purchase copper mesh to make shielding? I would like to get some for a variety of reasons.  >:D

I still have those 5GHz transistors so I will probably do some more experimenting this weekend while I wait for stuff to come.

It's a sad day when you find your beloved equipment can't even look at a 50 cent circuit.   :-DD   I may have to take you up on your offer to test it.  If only LeCroy would send me an old sampling scope... :-DD 

I get most of my mechanical parts from McMaster.
https://www.mcmaster.com/mesh

Now that PA0PBZ is nearing 5GHz, you need to start thinking about some 6HGz.   :-DD   That, and you know all those people with their 10GHz labs we heard of early on are working on taking the lead.    :box:

Online temperance

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #193 on: June 19, 2020, 09:41:15 pm »
For those who don't own a fast oscilloscope:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lecher_line

An more practical example:
https://hackaday.com/2017/02/07/using-a-lecher-line-to-measure-high-frequency/

There are some Gunn diodes available on Ebay...
Some species start the day by screaming their lungs out. Something which doesn't make sense at first. But as you get older it all starts to make sense.

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #194 on: June 19, 2020, 09:49:34 pm »

It's a sad day when you find your beloved equipment can't even look at a 50 cent circuit.   :-DD   I may have to take you up on your offer to test it.  If only LeCroy would send me an old sampling scope... :-DD 

I get most of my mechanical parts from McMaster.
https://www.mcmaster.com/mesh

Now that PA0PBZ is nearing 5GHz, you need to start thinking about some 6HGz.   :-DD   That, and you know all those people with their 10GHz labs we heard of early on are working on taking the lead.    :box:

thanks for the tip on McMaster.

I just need to order a few things from digikey and minicircuits and I can shoot for beyond 10 GHz.  :box: [edit] I have my carts ready, but not much point in ordering till Sunday at this point in the week.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 10:01:54 pm by 0culus »

Offline BreakingOhmsLawTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Certified solder fume addict
« Reply #195 on: June 19, 2020, 11:45:50 pm »
I am guessing that cj's and PA0PBZ's entrys are variant of the Armstrong/Meissner oscillators running purely on parasitics.
For educational purposes, heres one i made. It runs at a measly 2,6MHz - DC really - but here you can see the magnetic coupling of the inductors. It's two coils wound on a small ferite toroid.
See:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armstrong_oscillator
The capacitor is omitted in my board, the breadboard measures at 1.5pF between rows.
The real laugh here is that it runs on a voltage as low as 0,765 Volts, and yet outputs nearly 4,6V peak to peak. Black magic! It's really stable as well, hardly any jitter.
Looking at the board, one cannot help to think how the f**k this even oscillates   ^-^
Tranny is a BF256B FET.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #196 on: June 20, 2020, 01:45:41 am »
This makes me feel much better about my sinewaves.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #197 on: June 20, 2020, 02:10:56 am »
Taking the new oscillator for a test drive and blowing the old record out of the water and it's only in first gear idling...   

Added a scope shot to make it official.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 02:46:37 am by joeqsmith »

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, ogden, luma, mnementh, ch_scr, 0culus

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #198 on: June 20, 2020, 02:21:22 am »
Daaaang. Nicely done. And here I am trying and failing once again to get this stupid 2SC5227 to do anything. Wonder if I killed it.  :palm: I have two more...

The following users thanked this post: joeqsmith

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #199 on: June 20, 2020, 02:58:24 am »
Beyond the the basic ESD, making sure the supply limits the current and your not exceeding any of the max ratings of the part sort of stuff, hard to say.   

I would have the supply dialed much lower than the 70mA/20V max it's rated for.    You could also bypass the breadboard until to see something work. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf