Wow, I didn’t expect so much interest and so many posts on my thread! It looks like this forum has an amazing community.
As I’m reading through your replies, I realize that even though I’ve been into electronics as a hobby for over 20 years, I feel like a total noob compared to you all!
Scope is 'must have'
I know, I’ve been thinking about getting a scope for almost 10 years now, but somehow I’ve managed to get by without one so far.
For me it was so 'must have' that to have it I have designed and build one in 1982
That’s incredible! I’m impressed. I wasn’t even born yet at that time!

Voltage drop that you see is not the main problem. Problem are short current pulses (ns range times) taken by ICs when they switch their state (you can't see them with voltmeter).
Yeah, I get it. What I meant is that it seems like those short current pulses you're talking about might have a bigger impact when there’s a voltage drop. At least that’s how I understand it.
As for SMD components, I’ve got hundreds, maybe even thousands of THT parts at home because I always end up buying some extras whenever I make a purchase. And guess how many SMD components I have? Exactly zero. This reminds me of the time I had to repair my mother-in-law’s plasma TV and had to drive across the whole city (Lodz) just to get one SMD resistor

It would really help if you would sketch your button circuit out. It helps you to understand what's happening and it helps us to explain.





Like ledtester said, the aluminum rod is grounded, and wires are constantly in contact with it. When a key is depressed, the wire is lifted from the rod. All the shift register inputs are connected to Vcc through 10k resistors. There are four PCBs—three of them have three shift registers each, and the last one has two.
In the future, I plan to add two more rows of shift registers to measure the speed of the keys, like in this video:
The OP experiments with measuring velocity via the two switch contact approach in this video:
https://youtu.be/WKrjwQOasvg
I chose this method of connecting multiple keys instead of a matrix for easier programming and indexing of the keys. And since I managed to buy 40 shift registers for less than $40, I figured it was worth it. Initially, I considered optical sensors, but I went with the mechanical solution because it’s cheaper. The great thing about DIY projects is that you can always upgrade them later on!