Author Topic: Reverse engineering FNIRSI-5012H  (Read 191228 times)

0 Members and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online ataradovTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 12470
  • Country: us
    • Personal site
Re: Reverse engineering FNIRSI-5012H
« Reply #400 on: August 16, 2022, 07:59:35 pm »
I really don't have time and interest to mess with this. Especially adding measurements, which are always annoying on the button-based interface.

But also, do you really need scope and a full ADC for TDR? Is not it something that can be done with a couple comparators and a reasonably fast MCU? If this is something you need to do over and over, having a dedicated tool seems like a better option.

And I'm sure tools like this exist already anyway. I had an Ethernet cable break detection feature in a BIOS 15 years ago. There have to be dedicated tools for this.
Alex
 

Offline niazlv

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 2
  • Country: ru
    • github
Re: Reverse engineering FNIRSI-5012H
« Reply #401 on: July 29, 2026, 03:41:24 pm »
I was bored and ended up bricking the oscilloscope's original firmware, so I rewrote it many months ago. I fixed a lot of bugs, polished the UI, and added a bunch of features. Only recently I thought, why not use modern AI to speed up development? That's how the fun-open5012h project came to life.

What does it add? FFT, auto-calibration, protocol decoding for more than 20 protocols per channel (including CAN, LIN, and SENT), support for 1-Wire sensors, and the ability to read ROM-based iButton devices.

I've also been experimenting with FFT and a couple of prediction algorithms. In some cases, when enough harmonic information is available, they can give a rough idea of what's hidden beyond the scope's bandwidth, or at least help distinguish structured signals from random noise. It's still experimental, but I thought it was interesting enough to keep.

Anyway, I just wanted to leave the project here as another example of what's possible with this hardware.

GitHub: https://github.com/niazlv/fun-open-5012h

P.S. Yes, it runs Doom. I also added Snake, Flappy Bird, 2048, Tetris, and a small launcher with a mini OS. Since only the selected application is running at any given time, none of this affects the oscilloscope itself, so... why not?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2026, 03:48:36 pm by niazlv »
 
The following users thanked this post: mikerj

Offline mikerj

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3671
  • Country: gb
Re: Reverse engineering FNIRSI-5012H
« Reply #402 on: July 29, 2026, 04:37:08 pm »
That's a very impressive amount of work  :-+  Is there any problem with re-flashing the existing micro or does it need a new micro fitted?
 

Offline niazlv

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 2
  • Country: ru
    • github
Re: Reverse engineering FNIRSI-5012H
« Reply #403 on: July 31, 2026, 08:04:36 pm »
It depends on the board revision and on your particular unit.
Personally, I didn't have to swap the chip — I was able to flash it right away.
Either way, all the instructions, from start to finish, are on GitHub.
But if you do make a full backup of the stock firmware (same instructions), I'd like to ask you to send it to me or post it on the forum.. I corrupted my own backup and lost it...
 


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->