Author Topic: RS485, converting to USB, registers, software, etc. Working on a solar inverter  (Read 585 times)

viper and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online viperTopic starter

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 301
  • Country: us
I will condense the story, I have a new to me inverter where the selling company is out of business and the OEM won't talk to me because it was white labeled a different brand.  It doesn't work quite right (settings), very little info on it, but I stumbled into one of the OEM's RS485 docs and the best I can hope for is the register map in that doc is accurate.  So I am new to this.  The inverter has a 485 so I want to get a USB converter, any special chip type or look for?  They all pretty much work?  Software to poll the addresses?  Im not sure I would want to write anything until I have some confidence in the map. 

And if this goes to plan, I would like to get into something like Home Assistant to do remote monitoring.  For security, I want to grab a mini PC and just remote to that.  The PC would let me connect other sensors and such, such as my 485 BMS unit.  But again, new to this.  I just wanted it to work, but no, it has to get complex....lol 
 

Offline darkspr1te

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 520
  • Country: zm
Yeah , there are a lot of re-branded inverters and batteries out there. can you post the doc you have for the oem, i often find they are based on just a few brands of oem systems so chances are there is a arduino lib/pc code and HA code.

 

Offline Sorama

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1073
  • Country: be
Yeah , there are a lot of re-branded inverters and batteries out there. can you post the doc you have for the oem, i often find they are based on just a few brands of oem systems so chances are there is a arduino lib/pc code and HA code.
For a few hundred dollars one can buy a new inverter.
So, why the fuss?
 

Online ledtester

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4160
  • Country: us
The inverter has a 485 so I want to get a USB converter, any special chip type or look for?  They all pretty much work?  Software to poll the addresses?  Im not sure I would want to write anything until I have some confidence in the map. 

This article covers using a MODBUS adapter with Python or C:

https://techsparx.com/energy-system/modbus/linux-modbus-usb-rs485.html

The Python code should work with Windows. MODBUS adapters appear to the operating system as another serial port.

Another Python library may be found here:

https://pypi.org/project/minimalmodbus/0.4/

and this page has code to read a register:

https://minimalmodbus.readthedocs.io/en/stable/usage.html

Or just ask an AI: "read modbus register with python"
 

Offline sideshow bob

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 8
  • Country: se
Just google rs485+usb+converter. You should be able to find something for any price bracket
 

Online viperTopic starter

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 301
  • Country: us
Yeah , there are a lot of re-branded inverters and batteries out there. can you post the doc you have for the oem, i often find they are based on just a few brands of oem systems so chances are there is a arduino lib/pc code and HA code.


Thanks.  attached is the register info I can find, but note, it does NOT match my model and from the investigation I've done, I believe several companies (assemble and program) buy guts from 1-2 central PCB OEMs.  I say that because the ICs and possibly firmware are the same or similar. 

 

Online viperTopic starter

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 301
  • Country: us
Yeah , there are a lot of re-branded inverters and batteries out there. can you post the doc you have for the oem, i often find they are based on just a few brands of oem systems so chances are there is a arduino lib/pc code and HA code.
For a few hundred dollars one can buy a new inverter.
So, why the fuss?

You won't buy a 200lb tank like this for a few hundred.  This is thousands. 
 

Offline H.O

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 951
  • Country: se
FWIW I've used isolated USB<->RS485 from Waveshare with great success. One has been used with a Raspberry Pi, pulling data from an energy meter once every second for the past 7 years. This particular one is available with either CH343 or FTDI chipset, unfortunately I'm not sure which one I have.

https://www.waveshare.com/catalog/product/view/id/3629/s/usb-to-rs232-485-ttl/category/37/

On another project I'm using a 2-port converter, also Waveshare, this time on Windows. It works fine too although I don't have nearly as many hours on this one.

https://www.waveshare.com/product/usb-to-2ch-rs485.htm

On the software side perhaps https://www.modbustools.com/modbus_poll.html could be what you're looking for if you don't want to do it "manually" using Python or whatever.

Many inverters follows the SunSpec "standard", sometimes with their own brand/type/model specific settings elsewhere in the register map, just something else that might be worth looking into.
 

Offline darkspr1te

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 520
  • Country: zm
As I suspected it is a generic based on model by Growatt and the pc software for it is called shinebus , there are also opens source version of it to modify the settings. It actually states in the installer manual that pc software required for advance settings and only a few functions can be controlled by the display.
Deye adapters/protocol also works on these units as I found with mine recently (a growatt 3000 branded as sunnyTech) just dont use the managed adapter it will auto lock your inverter down and auto link it with the deye server and it's a pain to hack the pin out of.
as mentioned by H.O any waveshare rs485 adapter will work with either brand of chip, for adding wifi then easy way is a deye/sunnytech/growatt wifi adapter that plugs into the internal uart port but offical adapters tend to only want to work on their servers so most people get a CYD (cheap yellow display) and the 4p small to 4p medium connector , but check the pins with a multi meter before using, i have seen some uart adapters wired gnd,5v+,tx,rx and others gnd,tx,rx,5v+
software for CYD varies, theres H.A code under esp32HA or HomeBuilder for connecting to H.A or there's individual code projects just for control either via esp32 wifi +web or from a 3.5" lcd screen.


If you have any shots of the units internals that would be grand, often there is indications as to which actual maker built it under which oem chain. as well as that we can also spot hidden uart's, customer lockouts (feedom won systems need a pin code to keep clients out, pylontech need a wire shorted on a hidden connector to boot in engineer mode)

 

Online viperTopic starter

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 301
  • Country: us
As I suspected it is a generic based on model by Growatt and the pc software for it is called shinebus , there are also opens source version of it to modify the settings. It actually states in the installer manual that pc software required for advance settings and only a few functions can be controlled by the display.
Deye adapters/protocol also works on these units as I found with mine recently (a growatt 3000 branded as sunnyTech) just dont use the managed adapter it will auto lock your inverter down and auto link it with the deye server and it's a pain to hack the pin out of.
as mentioned by H.O any waveshare rs485 adapter will work with either brand of chip, for adding wifi then easy way is a deye/sunnytech/growatt wifi adapter that plugs into the internal uart port but offical adapters tend to only want to work on their servers so most people get a CYD (cheap yellow display) and the 4p small to 4p medium connector , but check the pins with a multi meter before using, i have seen some uart adapters wired gnd,5v+,tx,rx and others gnd,tx,rx,5v+
software for CYD varies, theres H.A code under esp32HA or HomeBuilder for connecting to H.A or there's individual code projects just for control either via esp32 wifi +web or from a 3.5" lcd screen.


If you have any shots of the units internals that would be grand, often there is indications as to which actual maker built it under which oem chain. as well as that we can also spot hidden uart's, customer lockouts (feedom won systems need a pin code to keep clients out, pylontech need a wire shorted on a hidden connector to boot in engineer mode)

Super appreciate the replies!  I'm going to share a YT link because this one is near identical.  The hidden PCB info was under the heat sink.  "Eyen Tech" or really  Yiyen Electric Technology Co., Ltd. (Zhejiang Yiyen Holding Group).  That should pin down your suspicions. 

          at 7:00 min, you can see the boards.  What was also interesting is how he "blew it up"....lol  I don't think he did as much as the programming and/or the cheap relays failed him.  Probably tried to play transfer switch games. 

As for how I am building this, or desire to, I'm installing a dedicated micro PC and just remote to it for live data viewing, hopefully through a decent interface like home assistant.  I'm also building in relay automation so I can manually shut some things down such as a high voltage relay on the PV. 

I mention because the unit has a wifi dongle but it will never get connected because I know that wants to talk to China.  With my route, I have control of my PC network.  What I am worried about is having no information on this exact model, no support, nothing.  Because it's a white label Sigineer, they will not talk to me.  My hope was to poll registers via 485 and see if data looks correct. 

As for the 485 converter, I bought....'cheap'.....lol  I don't know what I don't know. 
 

Offline darkspr1te

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 520
  • Country: zm
« Last Edit: September 28, 2026, 12:33:54 pm by darkspr1te »
 

Online viperTopic starter

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 301
  • Country: us
this looks like your model

https://manuals.plus/eyen/hp-series-pure-sine-wave-inverter-for-all-home-office-appliances-manual

Ha, or the one attached.  However, I am curious where you found that?  Sort of seems to me Eyen may be the actual OEM and Sigineer white labels them.  However, the one I have shares menu features more similar to the M series in the Sigineer, which is totally confusing.  I have the 4 menu buttons on the right side. 

Another feature that no manual really discusses is this one has an integrated MPPT charger. 
 


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->