Author Topic: The X-Ray image thread by Aurora - various electronics via X-Ray imaging  (Read 106523 times)

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Re: The X-Ray image thread by Aurora - various electronics via X-Ray imaging
« Reply #200 on: December 08, 2015, 11:40:15 pm »
Such would not be the case inside a higher energy security inspection X-Ray cabinet. Those tend to be pretty brutal and blast the DUT with a single level of energy. I.e. Maximum available from the tube and PSU combination. A somewhat blunter tool than the refined Faxitron units.
The regulation in the mailroom one is limited to a few relays selecting transformer taps based on the incoming mains voltage. Without smoothing, the kVp will also vary throughout the mains cycle, though the integration time of a panel sensor would probably be long enough to smooth it out. 
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline FraserTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #201 on: December 08, 2015, 11:57:11 pm »
Hmmmm 20kVp to 110kVp spec. Again, this is unusual / meaningless terminology with respect to the energy levels to which the camera is exposed. 110kVp does not produce 110kev as the conversion to X-Ray energy is anything but efficient. Tube specs must surely affect the output energy for a stated excitation voltage and tube current. Oh well, provided you stay under 110kVp I suppose Hamamatsu are confident their array will operate correctly.

As you say, a nice camera, but they are darned expensive. When reading about the Hamamatsu camera, I was impressed to read that the scintillator is a direct deposit on the photo detectors rather than a separate scintillator sheet, as found in the BIOPTICS camera. Direct deposition of scintillator material on the detector element produces the best possible image quality. The Hamamatsu cameras are certainly very nice quality assemblies.

I have considered playing with CR plates but the laser readers are large and expensive, even on the secondary market.

The MX-20 will likely serve my purposes for most scenarios. I have considered whether I could use the Gendex USB digital sensor array with my Gendex 65kVp dental head for more challenging material densities. I will have to get the sensor working first though :). I might also be able to use it in my security X-Ray scanner as that produces 85kVp.

So many projects and no time at the moment.

I would love to hear of any experiments that you carry out with your X-Ray equipment. If I can ever be of assistance, please do not hesitate to ask.

Fraser
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #202 on: December 09, 2015, 12:01:30 am »
The only things I'm vaguely contemplating are some sort of X/Y stage to do larger images on the faxitron, and also a rotating CT stage.
And I must get around to realigning the camera in the mailroom unit, and making a DSLR setup for it using the remote-controllable DSLR I upgraded to several years ago for the purpose and still haven't got round to...

• Super Contributor
« Reply #203 on: December 09, 2015, 12:39:18 am »
Now that I have my 'dream setup' I will keep my eyes open for more USB Faxitron MX-20 units for you and others. My normal source of these dried up but I suspect we may see some coming up for disposal shortly. Finding a USB unit with a DC12 camera is a challenge though. At least if you get a unit that is without its PC you can use your SR software with it. The retail price on a used MX-20 with PC is currently around £1500. However I would expect to be able to supply one at the price you paid for the DC5 camera unit. You could then sell your DC5 MX-20 ?

This does not solve your need for more powerful X-Ray capability however. A decent Microfocus that would meet your needs costs around £250k and they are rare as hens teeth on the secondary market as they are normally decommissioned by the manufacturers agent and they tend to destroy them. Micro Focus Imaging was bought by Faxitron in 1997 and my experience of their USA customer service suggests that they do not want their machines in anything but industrial, medical, scientific or Government hands.

The UK Faxitron agent is a friendly chap though.

Fraser
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 12:46:18 am by Fraser »

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #204 on: December 09, 2015, 09:50:36 am »
Probably the ideal "Find" would be a 4" (or bigger) non-USB sensor that's going cheap because it's lost its PC, but sufficiently documented to build an interface for (Like that Ebay one)

A while ago I spotted a large medical wireless sensor cassette mis-described on Ebay UK, but  someone else obviously also figured out what it was & bid more than I was prepared to punt on it in unknown condition (it did look a bit battered).

• Super Contributor
« Reply #205 on: December 09, 2015, 12:12:41 pm »
That wasn't me bidding against you 😀 I did see a nice wireless cassette array last week on eBay. IIRC, it was over £4K 🙁

The trouble with such kit is often the bespoke software that is needed to control and access its configuration. Medical equipment is BIG business with crazy prices. As such many manufacturers use proprietary encryption of data, and on-line software registration requiring a support account. Much like I found with my Next Engine 3D scanner. Unless someone is an accomplished hacker, it can be an impossible challenge to make use of high tech medical kit without the required software, licence and support contract. The manufacturer effectively holds the buyer to ransom. If you want to use their already expensive kit, you also have to pay for an expensive support contract. In a medical environment this usage model may make sense, but not so in a hobby scenario.

Some imaging cassettes are just fancy paperweights unless you get the PC and software with them

As a side note..... The activation key required to use the Faxitron SR software is NOT for the control software but is for the DICOM interface that is contained within its code ! A PITA but DICOM was an essential part of the equipments usage and so the licensed interface was needed. Sadly you cannot easily activate the SR software minus the DICOM licensed routine.

Medical equipment can be full of all manner of traps for the unwary. Defies have batteries that expire themselves based upon age, auto syringe actuators shut down when their calibration is due and, as I have said software often requires on line activation costing a small fortune.

Fraser

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #206 on: December 09, 2015, 12:58:29 pm »
That wasn't me bidding against you 😀 I did see a nice wireless cassette array last week on eBay. IIRC, it was over £4K 🙁

This one started at peanuts and I got outbid at about £200

4K is probably still a fraction of the original cost, assuming it was a decent size.

[qupte]
The trouble with such kit is often the bespoke software that is needed to control and access its configuration.
[/quote]
I wasn't expecting to be able to talk to it via its native wifi interface, but I figured that there was a good chance that the actual image sensor would be outputting a datastream internally that I could extract. Like I said, it was a gable (on both this and the condition), but someone else was willing to punt more on it!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #207 on: December 09, 2015, 04:39:01 pm »
My Gendex GXS-700 dental imaging sensor arrived today.

I have started a new thread for that imaging array and will update it as and when I have progress on its repair.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/x-ray-imaging-the-gendex-gxs-700-x-ray-dental-imaging-array/msg817487/#msg817487

It is in very good condition. Just some obvious damage to the USB plug which I will investigate first.

The GXS-700 cost me $100 and is a risk as these units can be beyond repair. The value for me is in the experience I gain working on it and the associated enjoyment of the challenge. If I cannot repair it, so be it  ;D

Fraser
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 12:46:53 am by Fraser »

Offline Gary350z

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #208 on: December 10, 2015, 07:10:15 am »
X-ray a miniature toggle switch. I've seen it before. It's pretty cool.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #209 on: December 11, 2015, 12:48:43 am »
@Gary350Z,

The Faxitron is dormant for the moment as I am involved in other priority tasking. I will wake her up again soon.

Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #210 on: January 15, 2016, 06:01:58 pm »
WOW! This thread has been read over 10,000 times  :o

I hadn't realised that people were so interested in X-Ray images.

The Faxitron is dormant at the moment as I am balancing a new kitchen installation with sorting out my lab and garage. These tasks are major time eaters. I will fire up the Faxitron MX-20's again as soon as I get the spare time to play. Hopefully soon.

If anyone has any specific items that they are interested in seeing imaged with X-Ray (and that I also have access to) I will be happy to take requests in this thread. Please do not PM me requests as some requests will be duplicated. Remember that the MX-20 is a 35kVp X-Ray machine so cannot really penetrate metal. If the metal is aluminium, it can cope with limited thickness.

Fraser

Offline Melt-O-Tronic

• Frequent Contributor
  • Brilliant with a slaughtering iron in my hand!
« Reply #211 on: January 16, 2016, 04:29:16 am »
The thread really is just that fascinating!   8)

Here's an idea for you . . . STEREO PAIRS!!!   :popcorn:

• Super Contributor
« Reply #212 on: April 21, 2016, 08:35:56 pm »
Some images of the Raspberri Pi 3 using my newer Faxitron MX-20 equipped with a 100mm x 100mm Hamamatsu USB imager array.

These are all taken in auto exposure mode with 35kV and approx 15 seconds exposure.

I tweaked the image produced by auto exposure mode by changing the ADU window size and centre point. This is after image capture and just allows me to increase contrast in areas of interest or reduce contrast to capture a more holistic view. I did some close ups for comparison with another X-Ray machine so have included those as well.

Enjoy  :)

Fraser
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 12:15:50 am by Fraser »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #213 on: April 21, 2016, 08:37:35 pm »
More images

• Super Contributor
« Reply #214 on: April 21, 2016, 08:39:30 pm »
Close ups

• Super Contributor
« Reply #215 on: April 21, 2016, 08:41:34 pm »
More images

• Super Contributor
« Reply #216 on: April 21, 2016, 11:24:32 pm »
Demonstrating the practical use of my X-Ray machine.

I own several thermal cameras that can be powered by 8 AA Alkaline cells or a sealed Ni-Mh battery pack. The AA Alkalinne battery pack has three connections. +, - and the battery monitoring pin. The monitoring pin is connected to a small resistor that is also connected to the positive end of the pack.

At first glance it appeared that the Ni-Mh battery was just the AA Alkaline battery holder with a different value battery monitoring resistor and Ni-Mh cells fitted.

Well it looks like I was wrong.

If you look at the two attached pictures you will see a reference AA Alkaline cell holder (empty) and the sealed Ni-Mh battery.
The Ni-Mh battery is shrink wrapped and uses a hollow container with no cell holders, plus it has a PCB running the whole length of the cells on one side. The PCB is wrapped in a shrink wrap sleeve as can be seen. I believe this PCB is 'gas gauge' providing state of charge information to the host camera and dedicated smart charger unit.

If I were to cut the battery pack open, I now know that there is a PCB to be avoided on one side. Very important when dismantling a unit.

Fraser

Offline Mr.B

• Supporter
« Reply #217 on: April 21, 2016, 11:33:40 pm »
Demonstrating the practical use of my X-Ray machine.

Very cool Fraser.
Thanks for the images.
I approach the thinking of all of my posts using AI in the first instance. (Awkward Irregularity)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #218 on: April 22, 2016, 12:09:03 am »
X-Ray images of the common DALLAS DS1287 Real Time Clock.

For those unaware, this is a module that contains a real time clock IC, a separate crystal and a Lithium coin cell. The IC, crystal and coin cell are potted into a module and the cell is not intended to be replaced at the end of its life (approx 10 Years) Some equipment uses more exotic types of RTC that are no longer available. When the cell is exhausted the only real option is to carefully cut away the module lid and potting to reveal the cell. A new cell may then be grafted to the RTC IC. Without prior knowledge of a particular module or X-Ray images of it, you are working blind with a Dremel tool on an irreplaceable RTC .... not a happy thought !

As you will see in the images, the X-Ray reveals exactly where it is safe to cut. The MX-20 can apply dimensions to the images as well so a precision piece of surgery can be performed on the RTC module to expose just the parts needed. The potting compound is quite dense but by setting a small ADU window I could extract the detail I needed. Note the IC pins bent upwards to connect to the external components within the potted lid section.

The MX-20 was able to penetrate the coin cell and image the IC die through it. I was pleasantly surprised by this as at 31kV (the auto exposure setting chosen by the MX-20) I did not think such would be possible as the coin cell is steel cased.

Fraser
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 12:28:52 am by Fraser »

The following users thanked this post: ElectricGuy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #219 on: April 22, 2016, 04:38:21 pm »
Quickly fired up the X-Ray machine again to image a motherboard and thought I would image a Broadcom BCM4501KQMEG to see what it looked like inside. The IC is in a plastic package and has had all its legs removed. This IC my form part of my X-Ray performance test kit.

It is pretty enough to hang a picture of it on a wall   ;D

• Super Contributor
« Reply #220 on: April 22, 2016, 04:40:40 pm »
Another image of the broadcom. I was adjusting the ADU window and center level to bring out different details. On one exposure was taken and the three images are just the result of ADU display tweaking.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #221 on: April 22, 2016, 04:46:14 pm »
I am working on a Dell 2205 AIO motherboard that has a blown 5V supply rail generator IC and FET. I wanted to image the area of the board where it is located to see whether any pcb traces have also been fried. It was quite a big POP! when the chip blew judging from the soot around the IC  ;D

Some X-Ray images provided the information I needed.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #222 on: April 22, 2016, 05:02:40 pm »
Dell 2005 AIO motherboard Northbridge and Southbridge IC's

• Super Contributor
« Reply #223 on: April 22, 2016, 05:05:12 pm »
A weird one this time.

I was curious so I just imaged the last kidney stone that I gave birth to in January  ;D

Not that interesting but it does have variable density so a wider ADU window was chosen, hence the low contrast. You will need to zoom in to see more detail.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 05:08:50 pm by Fraser »

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #224 on: April 22, 2016, 05:48:24 pm »
Those do hurt when you pop them out. Almost as bad as when the pretty nurse comes in and removes that Foley Catheter. Says she will remove on three, and whips it out on one. Then explains people always tense up on two..........

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf