Author Topic: 4 out of 5 vendors are scamming people with wrong crosssection of cables  (Read 2164 times)

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
We had a similar discussion here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/dodgy-technology/is-the-market-flooded-with-fake-dangerous-solar-cable/
You seem to also be buying from random ebay sellers, who are likely just drop-shippers or importers.

If you provide the requested very relevant information up front instead of holding back, its going to make it easier for others to help out:
- Links to the items you purchased
- Advertised diameter and measured diameter
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Online eTobeyTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
We had a similar discussion here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/dodgy-technology/is-the-market-flooded-with-fake-dangerous-solar-cable/
You seem to also be buying from random ebay sellers, who are likely just drop-shippers or importers.

If you provide the requested very relevant information up front instead of holding back, its going to make it easier for others to help out:
- Links to the items you purchased
- Advertised diameter and measured diameter

I have to repeat myself...

It was never my intention to prove anything. I was trying to get the extend of this fraud from other countrys/people too. As your link prooves, its not just something i came across.

Its a really dissapaointing, that most people cant answer a simple question (see original post), and are instead still questioning the findings of others, that are likely not a case of a simple calculation error, as i tried to make clear.
"Sometimes, after talking with a person, you want to pet a dog, wave at a monkey, and take off your hat to an elephant." (Maxim Gorki)

Online shapirus

• Super Contributor
So I bought a few meters of single-strand cable advertised as 0.75 sq.mm.
Actual measured diameter was between 0.97 mm and 0.98 mm which means 0.739..0.754 sq.mm.

Hope this helps!

• Frequent Contributor
So I bought a few meters of single-strand cable advertised as 0.75 sq.mm.
Actual measured diameter was between 0.97 mm and 0.98 mm which means 0.739..0.754 sq.mm.

Hope this helps!

I could imagine, that they wont try scamming people on this kind of wire, since it is easy to find out if its scam or not.
"Sometimes, after talking with a person, you want to pet a dog, wave at a monkey, and take off your hat to an elephant." (Maxim Gorki)

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
I have to repeat myself...

It was never my intention to prove anything. I was trying to get the extend of this fraud from other countrys/people too. As your link prooves, its not just something i came across.

Its a really dissapaointing, that most people cant answer a simple question (see original post), and are instead still questioning the findings of others, that are likely not a case of a simple calculation error, as i tried to make clear.

What value is it to just post "Yes I was defrauded by cable thickness" without going into any details? Its meaningless data.
Ten people might have bought 1m from one single ebay seller, or one person might have bought 1,000m from hundreds of authorized distributors. The context matters.

Posting the store you purchased from is a normal thing. The fact that you are so secretive with your data and suppliers makes everyone rightfully suspicious.

• Frequent Contributor
Ten people might have bought 1m from one single ebay seller, or one person might have bought 1,000m from hundreds of authorized distributors. The context matters.

Posting the store you purchased from is a normal thing. The fact that you are so secretive with your data and suppliers makes everyone rightfully suspicious.
People can write where they got the cable from. I can not now, as i have not documented my findings. I could get me in trouble. But i might do this on one occasion if i have the mood for it.

This thread is also intented, to raise awareness about this fraud. This can even get dangerous, if cables are not crimped right, because of wrong crosssections.

Offline 5U4GB

• Frequent Contributor
    Where were the cables made?   Undersizing of wire and cables made in China has been widely reported on this and other sites.   A lot of the wire is also reported to be made some kind of junk alloy that isn't solderable.  I've learned to not trust the ratings of anything made in China.

Specifically, the most common one you'll encounter is CCA, copper-covered aluminium.  Less common is CCS, copper-covered steel.  Another variant is CCC, copper-covered-copper, where they coat a thin veneer of copper over a garbage alloy of recovered scrap that may contain copper.  They'll look like they're the right size but won't have anywhere near the current-carrying capacity, as well as breaking if you bend them too much when installing them.

Neighbour of mine was happy about the bargain he got on some cabling, until I pointed out what it was that he'd just finished installing...

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
People can write where they got the cable from. I can not now, as i have not documented my findings. I could get me in trouble. But i might do this on one occasion if i have the mood for it.

This thread is also intented, to raise awareness about this fraud. This can even get dangerous, if cables are not crimped right, because of wrong crosssections.

Get in trouble from who and how?
Go grab the cable, measure OD and wire ID and write the info and seller details here, should take 5 minutes.

The following users thanked this post: Stray Electron

Offline f4eru

• Super Contributor
    • Chargehanger
and are instead still questioning the findings of others
We always question the findings, whether ours or from others.
Healthy thing to do, especially when the data provided is incomplete.

likely not a case of a simple calculation error, as i tried to make clear.
Nope. You did not make that clear. If you want to make that clear, please provide a simple measurement report/data everybody can check...

No doubt many chinese wires are out of spec.
No doubt also you made some inacuracies in your measurements.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2024, 01:01:07 pm by f4eru »

• Frequent Contributor

We always question the findings, whether ours or from others.
Healthy thing to do, especially when the data provided is incomplete.

No doubt also you made some inacuracies in your measurements.
There were some inaccuracys, but i questioned and answered my findings until they proved to be right...

You also did not answer my original question...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf