Author Topic: Rigol 832 no longer providing a load  (Read 970 times)

Offline bitmanTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Open Source Guy jabbing with Electronics
Rigol 832 no longer providing a load
« on: November 25, 2018, 02:38:18 am »
My "trusty" Rigol DP832 decided today that running at 2.5Amps was too much for it. At least that's how I interpret it. Running at 8V and 2.5Amps for about 30 seconds, and all of a sudden I heard the fan stop blowing to find that the voltage still stood at 8V but there were no load coming out. Both 1 and 2 (max 3A) are showing the same issue - the display works just fine, but no load is coming out.

I've tried to spy on Dave's DP832 videos to see if there are simple fuses inside the box - but even if there is, the warranty seal of makes it pretty clear that you shouldn't find standard serviceable components in there.  Any ideas? Would this be a simple blown fuse and that I easily replace? I'm not as "cool" as Dave to just take it apart and identity what-ever stopped functioning.

• Supporter
Re: Rigol 832 no longer providing a load
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 03:23:00 am »
Ok - it cooled off for 15-20 minutes and things are working again. Interesting - but happy I didn't have to take it apart ... lesson learned, don't put too big a load on it for a "longer" period of time. No worries.

Offline PTR_1275

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 03:26:16 am »
8v 2.5a load is not too much. It’s well within the spec of the psu. I have one at work that runs 13.5v 3a and 22v 3 amp for most of the day if I’m running a particular product test.

What was the ambient temp when it faulted, other channels on / off / why load?

How old is your 832? Is it the one that has the heat sink issues on the to-220 shown in Dave’s videos?

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2018, 04:56:04 pm »
8v 2.5a load is not too much. It’s well within the spec of the psu. I have one at work that runs 13.5v 3a and 22v 3 amp for most of the day if I’m running a particular product test.

What was the ambient temp when it faulted, other channels on / off / why load?

How old is your 832? Is it the one that has the heat sink issues on the to-220 shown in Dave’s videos?

I only do very low voltage stuff - mainly old TTL/CMOS stuff and a bit of IoT - so my typical load is 5-9v and less than 1Amp.   The unit is almost 2 years old, and I did check it for Dave's "fix" and that seems to be in place (large heat-sink just inside the grid).  This is done in my home office/shop - the temperature is somewhere between 20-25 degrees depending on how hot the computers run at that time.

So typically I only use the 3rd output - except when I need a negative rail. I just had some "new stuff" to test which had less than 10ohm resistance so the amps ran up with 8v.

Typically the issues I have are due to user-error. Perhaps that's what happened here - not sure. Of course once I had the whole unit disconnected, and I'd posted this and done some googling, I went back, powered it on and the multi-meter showed a clear voltage, and it also measured amps well.

From Dave's videos on this unit I don't see a basic fuse inside - outside of the component he replaced which was rated at 5amps. And since the unit is sealed I cannot imagine I have to go inside to look for burned out fuses.

Anyway - for my use, this was not a typical load so I'm not worried.  I cannot imagine the noise you have from it running it at that high a load. I thought my computers were noisy until I heard the fans in this thing start up :)

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 04:28:25 pm »
Not true. I am regularly grilling my DP832s with up to 10V/3A, and the perform absolutely OK. The fan gets louder, thats it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf