Author Topic: seller description: "Unit is in bad shape."  (Read 2324 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline zikeTopic starter

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 204
  • Country: us
seller description: "Unit is in bad shape."
« on: October 06, 2026, 10:57:07 am »
ya think? 

ebay 366708551569

 
The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Online negativ3

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 577
  • Country: th
Re: seller description: "Unit is in bad shape."
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2026, 11:00:36 am »
Hand tool rescue?
 

Offline Greybeard

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 617
  • Country: de
Re: seller description: "Unit is in bad shape."
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2026, 12:29:45 pm »
Minor signs of use, almost like new!  ;D
 
The following users thanked this post: 5U4GB

Online themadhippy

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4563
  • Country: gb
Re: seller description: "Unit is in bad shape."
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2026, 12:59:06 pm »
 that'll buff out
 
The following users thanked this post: zike

Offline lugaw

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 89
  • Country: jp
Re: seller description: "Unit is in bad shape."
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2026, 01:03:19 pm »
I can see he is telling the truth.
 
The following users thanked this post: Manolo Mos, 5U4GB

Offline DrijSkij

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 58
  • Country: us
Re: seller description: "Unit is in bad shape."
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2026, 02:16:14 pm »
It's hard to see the exact model number and the configuration.
I have a similar model HP that I dumpster dived from work. It's a 20V, 10A supply. It (predictably) needed 2 caps replaced. It dates back to 1974-75.
 

Online mbeldyga

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 9
  • Country: us
Re: seller description: "Unit is in bad shape."
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2026, 02:38:00 pm »
I'm afraid this unit may require more than just recapping ;D
 
The following users thanked this post: 5U4GB

Offline golden_labels

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 2481
  • Country: pl
Re: seller description: "Unit is in bad shape."
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2026, 03:05:46 pm »
For intentionally damaged equipment this one is an unexpectedly good shape. They must have hired an amateur to perform item reclassification.
Why 📎 | We live in times when half of people have IQ below 100.
 
The following users thanked this post: zike

Offline Seekonk

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 2148
  • Country: us
Re: seller description: "Unit is in bad shape."
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2026, 03:28:42 pm »
That is why I only buy equipment that is Certified Not Ready For Use!  Don't buy just random old equipment.



I did once buy a piece that must have been stored next to some sand blaster filled with sand and stored outside.



 

Online squadchannel

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1265
  • Country: jp
  • deepl translate user
Re: seller description: "Unit is in bad shape."
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2026, 03:58:20 pm »
All you need is a hammer. ;D
 

Online xrunner

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 7968
  • Country: us
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
Re: seller description: "Unit is in bad shape."
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2026, 03:58:50 pm »
I can fix that.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.
 
The following users thanked this post: Manolo Mos, 5U4GB

Online squadchannel

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1265
  • Country: jp
  • deepl translate user
Re: seller description: "Unit is in bad shape."
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2026, 04:11:18 pm »
Me too!
 

Offline zikeTopic starter

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 204
  • Country: us
Re: seller description: "Unit is in bad shape."
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2026, 05:23:38 pm »
Was thinking to buy it just to punk UPS with a "damaged shipment" claim. But that would just make trouble for some random driver whose life's already hell.

Second thought, I've been through this experiment numerous times (against my will); and they never did anything at all.   

Never mind.
 

Offline BigBoss

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 150
  • Country: fr
Re: seller description: "Unit is in bad shape."
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2026, 05:37:49 pm »
If I were in the US, I would buy ..
 

Online factory

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3761
  • Country: gb
Re: seller description: "Unit is in bad shape."
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2026, 05:42:33 pm »
99.99% certain the transformer will need a rewind, as it's right below where it took the impact, the PCB might also be crushed/cracked below this transformer.
The panel meter might be OK, the bezel falling apart is common for these, surprizing the terminal posts & rotary controls aren't smashed.

David
« Last Edit: October 06, 2026, 05:45:21 pm by factory »
 

Offline the Chris

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 240
  • Country: de
Re: seller description: "Unit is in bad shape."
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2026, 05:57:12 pm »
All you need is a hammer. ;D

How's the saying again?

"When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like this "
 
The following users thanked this post: lowimpedance, 5U4GB

Offline Stray Electron

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 2880
Re: seller description: "Unit is in bad shape."
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2026, 07:42:00 pm »
   That looks like some of the stuff that I've received from UPS!
 
The following users thanked this post: 5U4GB

Offline zikeTopic starter

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 204
  • Country: us
Re: seller description: "Unit is in bad shape."
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2026, 08:39:50 pm »
For intentionally damaged equipment this one is an unexpectedly good shape. They must have hired an amateur to perform item reclassification.

99.99% certain the transformer will need a rewind, as it's right below where it took the impact, the PCB might also be crushed/cracked below this transformer.
The panel meter might be OK, the bezel falling apart is common for these, surprizing the terminal posts & rotary controls aren't smashed.

For anyone that hasn't worked on one of these, they weigh about 30 lbs. The PT spans the middle (the CG is below where they put the handle) and is sandwiched between structural bulkheads that subdivide the chassis, like a submarine hull. It's literally built like a ship. Merely dropping one off a tall building might dent the corners, but it wouldn't do this. You'd need a hydraulic crusher or a powered drop hammer.

So yeah, I'm pretty sure it was intentionally destroyed.
 
The following users thanked this post: 5U4GB

Offline golden_labels

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 2481
  • Country: pl
Re: seller description: "Unit is in bad shape."
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2026, 08:49:52 pm »
I have little doubt it’s intentional. But it’s also very little damage for this kind of procedure. Whoever did that, forgot to apply the sledgehammer treatment to connectors and knobs. Sloppy job!
Why 📎 | We live in times when half of people have IQ below 100.
 

Offline Seekonk

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 2148
  • Country: us
Re: seller description: "Unit is in bad shape."
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2026, 10:07:30 pm »
I never did this personally, but where I worked the equipment had to be destroyed in order to take the write off. Technically that looks destroyed.
 

Offline Stray Electron

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 2880
Re: seller description: "Unit is in bad shape."
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2026, 10:15:26 pm »
   I once bought a big box full of US Army surplus HP-71 calculators at an auction at Ft Hood, Texas.  Somebody thought that they needed to be "de-milled" so they took a hammer and broke the LCD displays in them but they left all of the US Army proprietary ROMs in them.
 

Offline golden_labels

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 2481
  • Country: pl
Re: seller description: "Unit is in bad shape."
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2026, 10:39:05 pm »
Another sad example. :(

That sounds not like protecting military secrets, but — the same as above — reclassifying them as trash. It’s a common practice (+ this post of mine for some background; + two related Dave’s videos below).


Why 📎 | We live in times when half of people have IQ below 100.
 

Offline 5U4GB

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1755
  • Country: au
Re: seller description: "Unit is in bad shape."
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2026, 02:40:58 am »
I can fix that.

I think even Mend it Mark would find that one a challenge.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2026, 02:43:01 am by 5U4GB »
 

Offline DrijSkij

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 58
  • Country: us
Re: seller description: "Unit is in bad shape."
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2026, 09:56:50 am »
For anyone that hasn't worked on one of these, they weigh about 30 lbs.  [/quote]

I believe the description said 0.5 A output.
My unit is 10A (can go to 13A)
I doubt this unit would weigh 30 pounds.
My unit weighs about 30 pounds.
The transformner in this damaged unit would weigh significantly less and likely be substantially smaller.
 

Offline zikeTopic starter

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 204
  • Country: us
Re: seller description: "Unit is in bad shape."
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2026, 10:23:20 am »
I believe the description said 0.5 A output.
My unit is 10A (can go to 13A)
I doubt this unit would weigh 30 pounds.
My unit weighs about 30 pounds.
The transformner in this damaged unit would weigh significantly less and likely be substantially smaller.

Look again. The victim is (was) an HP 6291A, 0-40V and 0-5A. The 6286A is the 0-20V, 0-10A variant.

But I stand corrected, datasheet says 11.3 kg (25 lbs). I could have sworn mine's heavier....
 


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->