Author Topic: Suggestion for wire stripper for small gauges  (Read 40908 times)

0 Members and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Analog KidTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4951
  • Country: us
  • DANDY fan (Discretes Are Not Dead Yet)
Re: Suggestion for wire stripper for small gauges
« Reply #150 on: November 09, 2024, 07:41:04 pm »
Nose-first definitely good.
This is my first encounter with that type of tool. Very difficult (or impossible) to strip short already-soldered wires with side strippers.
 

Offline PlainName

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8834
  • Country: 00
Re: Suggestion for wire stripper for small gauges
« Reply #151 on: November 09, 2024, 07:49:18 pm »
Quote
the TUBTAP for under $20 I wonder about the long term precision/dependability at such a price

Replacement blades for the Knipex cost twice as much as one Tubtap. The entire tool only has to last half as long as the Knipex blade, and you're ahead the cost of the Knipex to boot (another 8 Tubtaps).
 

Offline Electro Fan

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3333
Re: Suggestion for wire stripper for small gauges
« Reply #152 on: November 09, 2024, 08:30:21 pm »
Quote
the TUBTAP for under $20 I wonder about the long term precision/dependability at such a price

Replacement blades for the Knipex cost twice as much as one Tubtap. The entire tool only has to last half as long as the Knipex blade, and you're ahead the cost of the Knipex to boot (another 8 Tubtaps).

I think this ^ is most of the business case, and it’s fairly compelling.  Where there could be another consideration is when/if the tool happens to cut the wire rather than strip it, in which case you would have to account for the cost of rework (probably mostly time for labor) assuming the situation is recoverable vs irreparable.  For non-mission critical projects it’s probably a reasonable calculated risk.  :)
 

Offline tooki

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 15936
  • Country: ch
Re: Suggestion for wire stripper for small gauges
« Reply #153 on: November 09, 2024, 10:15:28 pm »
Quote
the TUBTAP for under $20 I wonder about the long term precision/dependability at such a price

Replacement blades for the Knipex cost twice as much as one Tubtap. The entire tool only has to last half as long as the Knipex blade, and you're ahead the cost of the Knipex to boot (another 8 Tubtaps).
As long as the strip performance is as good as the Knipex during that shorter lifespan, absolutely.

What I despise about many cheap tools is that during their shorter lives, they never perform well. There are exceptions to this, but not as often as I’d like to see!
 

Offline PlainName

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8834
  • Country: 00
Re: Suggestion for wire stripper for small gauges
« Reply #154 on: November 09, 2024, 10:47:27 pm »
Straight cost is a bit simplistic, though. For me, tool familiarity is worth a lot - I don't want to be thinking about tools or how to use them, and instead my entire focus is on doing the job. (Like driving a car - you want to think about hazards and sliding off the road and all that, not which pedal to press or how much.) If the cheap tools were 10p and lasted a month, that would be a fantastic deal monetarily but I'd probably still pay for the Knipex just to put off changing it for a couple of years.
 

Offline Electro Fan

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3333
Re: Suggestion for wire stripper for small gauges
« Reply #155 on: November 10, 2024, 03:47:02 am »
Day 2 with TUBTAP.  I have a new reel of kynar 30 AWG from a different manufacturer.  Made about a dozen strips, every one worked flawlessly.  I made second strips after the first on each wire so I could inspect where the upper and lower blades met on the first strip.  Nothing is visible on the conductor with the 10x loupe - no nick or dent or any sign of anything.  I don’t know how long this will last but I’m thinking about just using it for the 30 AWG and seeing how long it can go without missing.  It has potential….
 
The following users thanked this post: PlainName, porter

Offline PlainName

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8834
  • Country: 00
Re: Suggestion for wire stripper for small gauges
« Reply #156 on: November 12, 2024, 04:26:46 pm »
My FS-D3 arrived today and I did some quick stripping (ooh-err).

Overall impression is that it's hard to use, in the sense that it is uncomfortable. Needs significant force and then fingers can get trapped, and the blade adjuster is very hard to move. But... it works. Can strip 30awg Kynar fine, does the UTP without leaving a strand in the insulation. Not so hot on larger diameter wires where you can see the insulation being pulled apart.

I think the Knipex wins out just on being nicer to use, but this FS-D3 doesn't need fingers to hold the Kynar in place, so it's actually better for that. Blades aren't replaceable but, as already noted, it's cheap enough to replace the entire thing when they wear out (if it's still being made then, of course). For someone short of funds, they could do a lot worse than one of these.
 
The following users thanked this post: Electro Fan

Offline MathWizard

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 2534
  • Country: ca
Re: Suggestion for wire stripper for small gauges
« Reply #157 on: November 23, 2024, 02:21:56 am »
I have these:

https://www.specialized.net/teledyne-tw-1-stripall-standard-thermal-wire-stripper.html

Unlike all mechanical strippers, they don't leave nicks in the conductor that can result in breakage during handling.  You can shop around on eBay and such for a reasonable price, $500 is a bit rich.

There are also these:

https://jonard.com/adjustable-wire-strippers-adjustable-wire-stripper?v=511

I haven't tried them yet, but they look simple and handy.
That's interesting, has anyone tried making a cheap version with say some dull razor blades and some plier type handle, and even a candle to heat the blades ??

I might just try attaching an old pair of sharpened scissors  to some 5W rectangular power resistor, wrapping some copper wire around them. IDK the safe temp rating of the cheap resistors I have like that, maybe it's way too low to melt plastic.
 

Offline coppercone2

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 13719
  • Country: us
  • √Y√... 📎
Re: Suggestion for wire stripper for small gauges
« Reply #158 on: November 23, 2024, 02:27:22 am »
you don't want them sharpened. Dull will be fine.

All sharp will do is make it get dug into the wire and 'plow' too hard.

Not to mention there is another small issue, with a sharp blade, your not conducting heat into it near the sharp edge. Dull edge will conduct heat more.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2024, 02:29:25 am by coppercone2 »
 

Offline PlainName

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8834
  • Country: 00
Re: Suggestion for wire stripper for small gauges
« Reply #159 on: November 28, 2024, 10:45:02 pm »
My FS-D3 arrived today and I did some quick stripping (ooh-err).
...

Didn't last very long.
 
The following users thanked this post: Someone, Kean

Online ebastler

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 7765
  • Country: de
Re: Suggestion for wire stripper for small gauges
« Reply #160 on: November 28, 2024, 10:55:37 pm »
My FS-D3 arrived today and I did some quick stripping (ooh-err).
...
Didn't last very long.

On the bright side, the blades never wear out on these!  ;)
 
The following users thanked this post: Kean

Offline coppice

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 10289
  • Country: gb
Re: Suggestion for wire stripper for small gauges
« Reply #161 on: November 28, 2024, 11:06:56 pm »
My FS-D3 arrived today and I did some quick stripping (ooh-err).
...

Didn't last very long.
They never do, even when you buy expensive versions of the same idea. You described it as hard to use, though. That's strange. These things usually feel great to use when they first arrive. I think they do that just to lull you into a false sense of having found something valuable.  ;)
 

Offline tooki

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 15936
  • Country: ch
Re: Suggestion for wire stripper for small gauges
« Reply #162 on: November 29, 2024, 11:33:43 am »
My FS-D3 arrived today and I did some quick stripping (ooh-err).
...

Didn't last very long.
They never do, even when you buy expensive versions of the same idea. You described it as hard to use, though. That's strange. These things usually feel great to use when they first arrive. I think they do that just to lull you into a false sense of having found something valuable.  ;)
By “expensive versions”, do you mean more-expensive knockoffs, or the name-brand products?

The name-brand ones last forever as long as you don’t grossly abuse them.
 

Offline coppice

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 10289
  • Country: gb
Re: Suggestion for wire stripper for small gauges
« Reply #163 on: November 29, 2024, 11:40:38 am »
My FS-D3 arrived today and I did some quick stripping (ooh-err).
...

Didn't last very long.
They never do, even when you buy expensive versions of the same idea. You described it as hard to use, though. That's strange. These things usually feel great to use when they first arrive. I think they do that just to lull you into a false sense of having found something valuable.  ;)
By “expensive versions”, do you mean more-expensive knockoffs, or the name-brand products?

The name-brand ones last forever as long as you don’t grossly abuse them.
Its years since I used that type, so I can't remember the names, but I've used some expensive named brand products, and never found one of that type that works well for long. This is sad, as they can be really good on day one.
 

Offline PlainName

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8834
  • Country: 00
Re: Suggestion for wire stripper for small gauges
« Reply #164 on: November 29, 2024, 01:31:19 pm »
It was cheap enough to bin and forget, but I raised an Aliexpress return and the vendor offered me half the cost as a refund! Said I want the full amount but I would accept a replacement if they prefer, so I might get another go at this.

There is something very different between this and the knipex. With this one you squeeze and nothing happens so you squeeze some more and it suddenly works. That's also the experience of the old metal one I showed. With the knipex there is hardly any resistance at all, and it's tempting to think it is not working. But it does. Perhaps that's why it (hopefully!) lasts a lot longer, although I imagine better materials help.
 

Offline PlainName

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8834
  • Country: 00
Re: Suggestion for wire stripper for small gauges
« Reply #165 on: December 02, 2024, 01:42:05 pm »
I filed a "does not work properly" case and Aliexpress just ruled that as 'invalid'. I suspect it is the vendor trying to evade responsibility because one resolution was to accept a refund of only 50%. I stated I wanted the full amount and to not return it, but I'd accept a replacement as an alternative. Now a resolution is the full amount if it's returned. The order was 'free returns' so I ain't gonna pay for it either way. Even so, I am foxed as to how anyone can pretend it might be capable of working properly.
 

Offline tooki

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 15936
  • Country: ch
Re: Suggestion for wire stripper for small gauges
« Reply #166 on: December 02, 2024, 07:27:31 pm »
My FS-D3 arrived today and I did some quick stripping (ooh-err).
...

Didn't last very long.
They never do, even when you buy expensive versions of the same idea. You described it as hard to use, though. That's strange. These things usually feel great to use when they first arrive. I think they do that just to lull you into a false sense of having found something valuable.  ;)
By “expensive versions”, do you mean more-expensive knockoffs, or the name-brand products?

The name-brand ones last forever as long as you don’t grossly abuse them.
Its years since I used that type, so I can't remember the names, but I've used some expensive named brand products, and never found one of that type that works well for long. This is sad, as they can be really good on day one.
That is very odd. Other than the blades eventually wearing out from use or abuse, the name brand automatic strippers (Weidmüller Stripax, Knipex, Jokari, Pressmaster, etc.) all last forever if you don't treat them like absolute crap.
 

Offline xfint34

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 50
  • Country: ca
Re: Suggestion for wire stripper for small gauges
« Reply #167 on: December 05, 2024, 05:46:18 pm »
I had been looking for the same thing at about the same time this thread was posted. I hadn't seen the thread until recently though.

My use is hobby electronics. Mostly micro-controller projects and home repairs.

I bought the LAOA LA822510 from AliExpress. It's another clone like the FS-D3. A bit more expensive though. I guess it's an expensive type of cheap clone. I paid $10 USD during the November sale. Right now it's about $20.

Their specs.
30-8 AWG
Handle: ABS+TPR
Blades: SK5 metal, HRC 58 +/-2

These AliExpress products 99% of the time play fast and loose with specs so I was skeptical about the 30 gauge rating. Especially since the other clones are said to not work on small wires at all. So far it's been working on 30 AWG without cutting strands. Maybe even smaller gauge too, I'm not certain. I got spools of silicone 30AWG wire from AliExpress. Otherwise most of my wires are scrap collected over years. I don't know exactly what size anything is. This wire stripper has been handling small wires without breaking strands.

 - It does not nick solid core CAT5 either. This has been one of my frustrations for a long time while trying to strip them with pliers or a knife.

 - It has a blade tension slider. On its lowest settings the blades have quite a gap. For small wires I've been using the first few notches depending on the wire.

 - Since it does handle 30AWG wire as advertised. That could mean possibly the blade material specs are accurate enough as well.

 - There is not much force at all required to engage the mechanism.

It appears as though this LAOA company operates on their own branding. As opposed to the white labels designed go to Amazon then to landfill. Which is what the FS-D3 appears to be. The box says made in Taiwan but it's clearly a Shanghai based company. I think they're been cheeky because the fine print says Taiwan, China.

I had avoided the FS-D3 because I had only seen the model without the blade slider. Now that I looked some more there are 3 possibly 4 variations sold under the FS-D3 model.
 

Offline PlainName

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8834
  • Country: 00
Re: Suggestion for wire stripper for small gauges
« Reply #168 on: December 05, 2024, 08:32:33 pm »
Thanks for pointing those out. Laoa do quite a lot of branded tools, so they have a reputation to protect. I am trying to resist disappearing down a wire stripper rabbit hole, but they do look promising :)
 

Offline artvandalai

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 137
  • Country: us
Re: Suggestion for wire stripper for small gauges
« Reply #169 on: April 23, 2026, 07:36:13 am »
The attached photo shows the only wire strippers I have that can be used with thin wires. Hopefully, it can help for a size comparison.

Of those tools, the one on the left is my most recent purchase, it can be set for 30 AWG Kynar, and works fine for that, but I bought it for 0.6 mm diameter solid-core wire (for solderless breadboards etc). It can also be used to snip wires.

The OK/Jonard tool hasn't been used in years (I found it in the back of a tool drawer just now); I think I damaged it at some point, but I've not retried it.

The Knipex 12 12 02 is physically massive in comparison to the others. It's the only tool I own that can reliably strip 30 AWG PTFE stranded wire as well as a range of other wires, but it has that size/weight disadvantage; it isn't a very general-purpose tool as a result.

In the other photo, there's a close-up of some wires stripped with the Stripmaster Lite. The red wire is about the thickest copper wire supported by the tool. The black stranded wire is 10/0.1mm. The thick blue insulation wire is silicone wire, and the thin blue is 30 AWG solid-core Kynar.

There's a circuit board in the photo, which shows the use-case where one end of the wire is soldered first, and then the other end is cut and stripped. I placed it between pin headers, to try to make it realistic since boards will have other tall components on them. I was able to comfortably strip the wire down to 19 mm of insulation remaining, although I could probably reduce that to 17 mm or so with more creative positioning of the tool. So, I think 19-20 mm is comfortably realistic in that scenario.

To be honest, I really like the Stripmaster Lite. It's the only pair of wire strippers I use regularly, since it will do the thin solid-core Kynar wire extremely well, plus the 10/0.1 mm normal PVC stranded wire for general PCB connections when prototyping. Those are the two wire types I use regularly.

Since I don't wish to strip thicker solid-core wire with the Stripmaster tool (I don't know if it would support it, but I don't want to risk damaging the blades), for that I will just use the lower-cost Knipex tool on the left in that photo (model 11 82 130) which is fine, but probably there are better and even more lower-cost tools around than that. Still, that tool is fine for my purposes, and seems durable.

Would the 1182130 wire stripper work for stripping the polyurethane coating off of magnetic wire?
 

Offline shabaz

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1013
Re: Suggestion for wire stripper for small gauges
« Reply #170 on: April 23, 2026, 07:46:07 am »
Would the 1182130 wire stripper work for stripping the polyurethane coating off of magnetic wire?

I have not tried that, but I think that wouldn't work. Usually for magnet wire I just burn off the coating in a few seconds (with a blob of molten solder), or, more rarely, on thicker wire, scratch it off with a scrap of sandpaper (or perhaps cloth sandpaper, or the craft modelling version on foamboard, depending on what comes out of the drawer first!).
By the way for fine repairs on boards, another option can be 30AWG 'kynar wire'.
 

Offline artvandalai

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 137
  • Country: us
Re: Suggestion for wire stripper for small gauges
« Reply #171 on: April 23, 2026, 03:30:20 pm »
Would the 1182130 wire stripper work for stripping the polyurethane coating off of magnetic wire?

I have not tried that, but I think that wouldn't work. Usually for magnet wire I just burn off the coating in a few seconds (with a blob of molten solder), or, more rarely, on thicker wire, scratch it off with a scrap of sandpaper (or perhaps cloth sandpaper, or the craft modelling version on foamboard, depending on what comes out of the drawer first!).
By the way for fine repairs on boards, another option can be 30AWG 'kynar wire'.

Is there a reason this approach wouldn’t work? Wouldn’t scraping the coating off magnetic wire using the 1182130 wire strippers rely on the same concept as using the magnet wire stripping tweezers? Could you please test this to confirm?

https://www.excelta.com/home-products-wire-strippers

https://www.knipex-tools.com/products/tweezers/stripping/steel-and-plastic-stripping-tweezers-magnetic-tips/1511120
 

Offline shabaz

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1013
Re: Suggestion for wire stripper for small gauges
« Reply #172 on: April 23, 2026, 04:02:15 pm »
I don't want to near-deliberately scrape close metal with wire strippers.. you may as well use a cheap craft knife to scrape at the wire, that may be as effective if not more. It's pointless misuse of the wire strippers, from my perspective; I'll leave such an experiment to others (or you could contact the manufacturer and see if they tell you if this will work).
 

Offline PlainName

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8834
  • Country: 00
Re: Suggestion for wire stripper for small gauges
« Reply #173 on: July 30, 2026, 08:12:43 pm »
Last year I bought a Knipex 11 82 130. Can't remember why - it is not my style and a bit expensive, but no doubt I hadn't escaped the wire stripper rabbit hole at the time.

Anyway, this week I've had to do some prototyping using kynar wire and this one just happened to be first to hand. Unexplainable since it should be at the bottom of a drawer, but there we go. Figured I might as well give it a quick try and blow me if it didn't work very well indeed. Takes a few attempts to get the screw the right depth, but then it is easy and repeatable. Even managed a 10mm length stripped both ends.

I was still suspicious that it would be like all the other ones with screw adjusters and keep needing slight adjustment, but it's be perfectly fine without any adjustment over three days in varied temperatures. I think this might be my new small wire tool (although I might reserve it for kynar since it would need setting for each different type).
 

Offline mORAV

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 16
  • Country: it
Re: Suggestion for wire stripper for small gauges
« Reply #174 on: August 05, 2026, 03:52:16 pm »
Here to report that this design is fantastic and they are pretty cheap:

https://amzn.eu/d/0iZ4q0oo

Just got them out of the box and tried them on a few wires from my arduino kit and it worked flawlessly*. Out of 20 cuts 1 damaged opper strand
« Last Edit: August 05, 2026, 03:56:36 pm by mORAV »
 


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->