Author Topic: Agilent 54831B -- Question about broken part  (Read 335 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline wutnoTopic starter

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 9
  • Country: us
Agilent 54831B -- Question about broken part
« on: February 17, 2026, 06:39:56 pm »
Hoping someone could help.
Picked up a 54831B for quite cheap /for parts/, surprisingly... It's been USED for parts missing all of the fans, and original hard drive (fixable issues).

When tearing down I think I found out /why/ it was parted. The board used to drive the LCD has a blown tantalum on it. Can't seem to find /any/ service info on these besides how to take it apart.

So if anyone with a 54831B or 54831M, or similar can check what value this cap is supposed to be, that would be great.
Doesn't appear any of the rails are shorted so hoping it was just a tant being a tant.
 

Online Kean

  • Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 3519
  • Country: au
    • Kean Electronics
Re: Agilent 54831B -- Question about broken part
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2026, 07:11:31 pm »
It seems to be marked 225, so 2.2uF in a B case.  Unknown voltage, but you could just go with the highest voltage rating available in a B case package.

What are the other (3) B case parts on the top side?  If they are also marked 225, then likely they all come from the same BOM line/reel.

The other tantalums see to be D case parts and split amongst several capacitance/voltage specs
- 106 (10uF) 35V - qty 1 top + 3 on bottom?
- 226 (22uF) 20V - qty 1 top
- 476 (47uF) 20V - qty 5 top
 
The following users thanked this post: wutno

Offline wutnoTopic starter

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 9
  • Country: us
Re: Agilent 54831B -- Question about broken part
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2026, 09:45:20 pm »
Good point with it likely being same as the others on the front. If I were to go by that then it's a 25v2.2uF.

Replaced it with a 50v2.2uF I had around.

System is at least POSTing now, but turns off seconds after.... Wondering now if the lack of fans is causing it to turn off... The power switch is wired into the same little board that powers the fans.
ANNOYING.

Edit: Thinking about this more it doesn't seem right. I think it's a PSU issue. It'll happily sit there when the motherboard fails to post.

Luckily I think the touchscreen is fine(tm), when it's on I can see the backlight and such.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2026, 01:21:15 am by wutno »
 


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->