Author Topic: At last, Siglent's SDS5054X touchscreen DSO...  (Read 103052 times)

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: At last, Siglent's SDS5054X touchscreen DSO...
« Reply #575 on: September 30, 2023, 07:41:20 am »
Batronix offers the 1Ghz model for 5405/6431€ (excl./incl. VAT):

https://www.batronix.com/versand/oszilloskope/Siglent-SDS5104X.html

Stock overstock sale, only while supplies last!

Only while supplies last....Hm-hm..
The last time they did that was to get rid of the Rigol HDO4000 because they were replaced by DHO.
And now they want to get rid of the 5104X...
Or is this just a promotion that doesn't mean anything?
Might be the much better spec'ed SDS6104A is just outselling them.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline points2

• Contributor
« Reply #576 on: December 28, 2023, 03:27:52 am »
Sorry for quoting such a long & interesting post
Thanks to you Perfoma01 for your many "tech" post written in such a way my 10-yr-old nephew could understand (test ahead  :-DD )
Ah well, I saw this coming...

To really appreciate what’s going on, I’d like to recapitulate how a modern fully digital trigger system works. It is a completely separate processing chain, fed with the sample data stream of the trigger channel. This trigger system doesn’t care about the other channels and whether they are in use or not. Consequently, on the SDS5000X this data stream is always 2.5GSa/s with a 400ps sample interval. This makes it all the more remarkable when accuracy and stability down to single digit picoseconds can be obtained. Furthermore, the channel interleaving as well as the various decimation algorithms (normal, peak detect, average, Eres) are applied to the data channel exclusively at a later stage and do not affect the trigger path in any way.

Of course the objection that averaging also irons out some of the trigger jitter is valid, so I decided to setup one final test, using a highly stable sine wave instead of a pulse. This way we get rid of all the uncertainties with regard to the signal source and quality – and we get faster transitions too (at high frequencies).

Here is the same measurement as for the first test, but in normal acquisition mode, without averaging. Since I’ve already put away the original setup, skew is not exactly the same as in the first test.

1GHz sine wave, fed into channels 2 and 4 in parallel through 12.4GHz wideband power splitter. Some minor skew between channels because of subtle signal path length differences.

•   Dots display mode
•   Infinite persistence recording for >10 minutes to catch any jitter and noise effects.

(Attachment Link)
SDS5104X Sine 1GHz Norm Skew Pers10m NR

At 200ps/div, the visible jitter is still pretty much insignificant.

Let’s have a look at the automatic measurements again. We now have an error of 600fs for the trigger channel 4 and just 7ps pk-pk jitter for the measurement data. The standard deviation (RMS jitter) is <1.23ps.

The non-triggered channel 2 has a significantly higher pk-pk jitter of 15ps now, RMS jitter is <2.12ps.

As can be seen, the channel to channel skew is finally accurate now at some 15ps. The peak to peak variation of 18ps with a standard deviation of 2.4ps meets the expectation.

A very pleasing result in my book.

Yes, the trigger interpolator does a rigorous job and reduces noise and jitter to zero at the trigger point, but we can take the peak to peak jitter of channel 2 as a measure for the maximum trace width at 45° slope, and that’s only 15ps. If I interpret nctnico's screenshot correctly, then there the trace width is uniformly more than 100ps – but that might just be because of a poor quality signal source.

For comparison, here’s the 150MHz pulse from the SDG6052X again, no averaging, infinite persistence for more than 5 minutes.

(Attachment Link)
SDS5104X Pulse 150MHz Norm Skew Pers5m NR

Automatic measurements indicate the following:
-21ps Trigger time error, 18.5ps pk-pk and 2.6ps RMS jitter for the trigger channel 4.
-2.84ps Trigger time, 37.4ps pk-pk and 4.6ps RMS jitter for the independent channel 2.
Channel skew 18.2ps (almost spot on), 39ps pk-pk and 5.25ps RMS jitter between channels.

Even though the jitter values are much higher now, trace width at 45° slope is <38ps, which is more than twice as much than with a high quality sine source, but still a far cry from 100ps.
Setup you mentionned > a SDS5104X, and a nice wave gen plugged in.
Meas. from the scope :
we end up to an "answer" from the SDS5104X vs the input signal => "std dev" is <5ps, given persistance during x minutes etc...

Question :
how => "std dev <5ps" is relevant, given that we have a 1GHz BW scope ?
my basic answer would be => not relevant.

Be cool Performa01, this is not a complaint & any blablabla (I'm sure you're a meastro vs myself :) ), that's such a tech question to know if we are fooled by the scope figures  ;D

I'm posting this because
I got a SDS2504X+ (although it has a sticker "2104X+" on it...  :-+)
So, let's say I've a 500MHz, 2GS/s, MSO&DSO, and happy with it.

But I want more "fine details", time-domain only (MSO feat. I don't care), thus => jitter/eye diag. & so on analysis, on "high speed" signals (above 1GHz is minimum).
so... I went thru all post/topics about SDS6000A, specs of the SDS7000A series, plus any A-brand scopes...
=> after brainstorming like hell  :-DD
=> I end up anyway to the Picoscope 9400 series !

Am I fool because there are no topic/post about these scope ?
Or,
are they a dead crazy BIG perf/price alternative to any benchtop scope on the market ?
(given that we deal with "repetitive" signal, thus "digital/clock/etc")

Conclusion :
when you have a SDS2504X+,
=> you end up to 9400 series from Pico (dea lower cost vs A-brands)

I missed smth ? or what...
Rgds

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #577 on: December 28, 2023, 06:54:25 am »
Sorry for quoting such a long & interesting post
Thanks to you Perfoma01 for your many "tech" post written in such a way my 10-yr-old nephew could understand (test ahead  :-DD )

Setup you mentionned > a SDS5104X, and a nice wave gen plugged in.
Meas. from the scope :
we end up to an "answer" from the SDS5104X vs the input signal => "std dev" is <5ps, given persistance during x minutes etc...

Question :
how => "std dev <5ps" is relevant, given that we have a 1GHz BW scope ?
my basic answer would be => not relevant.

Be cool Performa01, this is not a complaint & any blablabla (I'm sure you're a meastro vs myself :) ), that's such a tech question to know if we are fooled by the scope figures  ;D

I'm posting this because
I got a SDS2504X+ (although it has a sticker "2104X+" on it...  :-+)
So, let's say I've a 500MHz, 2GS/s, MSO&DSO, and happy with it.

But I want more "fine details", time-domain only (MSO feat. I don't care), thus => jitter/eye diag. & so on analysis, on "high speed" signals (above 1GHz is minimum).
so... I went thru all post/topics about SDS6000A, specs of the SDS7000A series, plus any A-brand scopes...
=> after brainstorming like hell  :-DD
=> I end up anyway to the Picoscope 9400 series !

Am I fool because there are no topic/post about these scope ?

Or,
are they a dead crazy BIG perf/price alternative to any benchtop scope on the market ?
(given that we deal with "repetitive" signal, thus "digital/clock/etc")

Conclusion :
when you have a SDS2504X+,
=> you end up to 9400 series from Pico (dea lower cost vs A-brands)

I missed smth ? or what...
Rgds

Trigger jitter is relevant. You are wrong there, it has nothing to do with scope being 1Ghz.  You can look at timing of 10MHz signal and want it accurate.

If you want better advice you need to provide more info.
To look at high speed signals (please specify what exactly type, it is not irrelevant) you will need to explain what do you plan to test.
Make note that you will need probing solution(s) that might end up costing more than scope..

So please more details..

There are posts and topics on Picoscopes, but not in Siglent topics...  ^-^

Picoscope 9400 is a sampling scope, that works only on repetitive signals. It was designed specifically for pulse and eye work and has high BW (5/16GHz).
If all you need is eye diagrams on fast serial data it does great job. But only that. It is not a general purpose scope.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, luudee

Offline points2

• Contributor
« Reply #578 on: December 31, 2023, 02:36:05 pm »
hi 2N3055,
Trigger jitter is relevant. You are wrong there, it has nothing to do with scope being 1Ghz.
thanks for your reply
Definitly, my brain was very jittery :-) to understand this basic explaination (these very low figures got me confused). I apologize.
With my 2504x+ I manage to get, based on measurement "period", a 8ps std.dev measuring a TCXO (10MHz, clip.sin, rated @ 280ppb) : not bad (to me).
Frankly, I thought I reached the limit of my scope.
I didn't expect the 5000X (older platform than the 2000X+) can go down to 2ps std.dev. Good to know anyway.

Based on this nice figures on the SDS5000 => correct me (again..) if I'm wrong (again...) : the hardware of Siglent scopes is "A-class" / "premium" / "you see what I mean"... !? waouh !
(without good hardware, it is rather difficult to get top-notch measurement with the help of the software layer... if I'm wrong, please correct me, I admit I'm not a software guy :palm:)

As the 5000x series was released some years ago, can we expect even better trigger jitter on newer platforms ? 
- like the current 6000X series ?
- or even on the upcoming 800X-HD & 3000x-HD series ? (@tautech, you mentionned the 3000X-HD to be released in '24 in western countries... I can't find your post... I hope I didn't dream about it  ;D )
thanks

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #580 on: January 01, 2024, 11:18:10 am »
As the 5000x series was released some years ago, can we expect even better trigger jitter on newer platforms ? 
- like the current 6000X series ?
- or even on the upcoming 800X-HD & 3000x-HD series ?
thanks
There is no such thing as the “SDS6000X”. There’s only the SDS6000 H10/12 Pro in China and the SDS6000A for the rest of the world 😉

I have made some measurements for the SDS6204 H12 Pro (reply #354):

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds6000-pro-10-and-12-bit-dso-coming/msg5253597/#msg5253597

The SDS3000X HD should be similar to the SDS5000, but we cannot say for sure until someone has tested it. It should most definitely be better than the SDS2000X HD though (reply #833):

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds2000x-hd-12bit-(published-for-chinese-domestic-market-only)/msg5253588/#msg5253588

A good indicator for the expected trigger jitter in these instruments is the minimum detectable pulse width (Peak Detect) in the “Acquire” section of the specifications:

SDS800X HD: 2 ns (<100 ps rms trigger jitter specified)
SDS1000X HD: 2 ns (<100 ps rms trigger jitter specified)
SDS2000X HD: 1 ns (<10 ps rms trigger jitter specified, 2.018 ps measured)
SDS3000X HD: 500 ps (<10 ps rms trigger jitter specified)
SDS5000X: 400 ps (<5 ps rms trigger jitter specified, 1.224 ps measured)
SDS6000A: 200 ps (<5 ps rms trigger jitter specified, 698 fs measured)
SDS7000A: 100 ps (<5 ps rms trigger jitter specified)

We can see that the trigger jitter is directly proportional to the minimal detectable pulse width, which in turn indicates the sample rate in the trigger path. So we can assume a trigger jitter of ~4 ps RMS for the SDS800 and 1000 X HD at the low end and <400 fs RMS for the SDS7000A at the opposite end.

The trigger jitter specifications for the higher models are clearly some copy&paste job from the SDS5000X. They look still reasonable for the SDS2000/3000, but the minimum sine frequency / maximum rise time specification is missing. For the lower models, it’s just some street numbers that can never be violated but will also not give the true picture. As stated above, the true trigger jitter will be much lower than 100 ps RMS even for the low end SDS800X HD.

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055, Martin72, points2

Offline points2

• Contributor
« Reply #581 on: January 01, 2024, 11:27:28 pm »
@points2
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds3000x-hd-and-upgraded-sds1000x-hd/
Hi tautech,
I confess I jumped on your link b4 reading your post...  :) thanks anyway, I appreciate your "link".
But 2024 is a 366days long year ! (+1 vs standard  :))
So, the 1000x-HD will pop up 1st (Q1-24 is wide !)
Then, the 3000x-HD... b4 the 366th day of '24... but when ? and then, as an hobbyist my brain can't click&pay without "reviews"...  |O ... and reading reviews & computing them delays the click&pay...
WTF... like any 1st Jan, we are all full of "I'll change this & that & stop this & that" => I think, asap, I'll change my wallet-size (hobbyist size) & my brain (an old sluggish 1st gen Pentium style  :--)
Happy & healthy '24 to everyone ! & thanks to Dave to host this forum !  :-+
« Last Edit: January 01, 2024, 11:46:51 pm by points2 »

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, egonotto

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #582 on: January 02, 2024, 12:17:54 am »
SDS800X HD, 1000X HD and 3000X HD have one thing in common:
They are only available in China.
One of the two "cheap" models, 800 or 1000, will probably also be available here in the next (11)weeks.
However, no one knows anything definite.
So I wouldn't waste any more thoughts until something turns up here.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #583 on: Yesterday at 05:16:31 pm »
SDS5000X Firmware_V0.9.9R3 (Release Date 04.26.24)
https://www.siglenteu.com/service-and-support/firmware-software/digital-oscilloscopes/
CAUTION: This release cannot be downgraded to previous releases.

• Compatible with new hardware
  • Supported new probes: SCP5030A/SCP5150/SCP5500, SAP5000D
  • Trigger: modified the trigger strategy of /AND and OR trigger from FALSE-to-TRUE to TRUE-to-FALSE
  • Acquisition: modified the Average strategy in Single mode from acquiring one frame to acquiring averaged X frames (where X = Average count)
  • Optimized UI
  • Fixed several bugs
    • a) Freezing issue in Roll mode
    • b) Freezing issue relative to Stop-on-Search-Event in Search mode
    • c) In some case the scope does not update the waveform traces after a long time
Trying is the first step towards failure - Homer J. Simpson

The following users thanked this post: tautech, Martin72, luudee

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf