Author Topic: Choosing between entry-level 12-bit DSOs  (Read 48746 times)

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
Re: Choosing between entry-level 12-bit DSOs
« Reply #800 on: May 07, 2024, 07:38:34 pm »
Back in the old days I spend quite some effort and money to get really high quality CRT monitors which had a super sharp image. The likes of 21" Eizo models with active deflection to get the image sharp right into the corners and LG Flatron have been on my desk. And ofcourse high quality VGA cables with seperate BNCs for each color. Blessed was the day I got a TFT monitor.
contrary to my experience. i didnt spend high end on CRT, they were all good enough... then came TFT age, CRT almost all (the good and big one) phased out from shop and it sucks, viewing angle of early TFT was too bad, dimmed or change color during photo editing, what made the pro difference though is the weight. but blessed to latest LCD/LED tech that viewing angle problem is no more.

Such a nice sharp picture. But then UI graphics designers came in and decided text should be unsharp again like on the worst CRT monitors. FFS!  :palm:
we can make analogy between line/vector plot and Sinc plot, edgy vs smooth. without antialiasing/blurry effect, fonts will visible edge pixelization.. i dont have problem with pixelized font, but i think i prefer smooth edge one.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline awakephdTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #801 on: May 09, 2024, 05:49:45 pm »
I have been working through the datasheets, user manuals, etc. for each of these units. There are a couple of specifications that I don't fully understand, and don't understand how to compare between the units:

History, waveform recording, sequence, memory depth - I'm not sure if some or all of these are the same thing, or if not, how they relate to each other. The Rigol specs are 25Mpts of memory depth and a max of 500K of frames for "hardware real-time waveform recording"; meanwhile, the Siglent specs are 50Mpts of memory depth and a max of 80K frames for "History" - but also adds up to 80K of "segments" for "Sequence."

Waveform update rate - the Rigol says up to 30k "vector mode" and up to 1M in "UltraAcquire mode"; the Siglent says up to 80K "normal mode" and up to 500K in "sequence mode." Do "vector mode" = "normal mode" and "UltraAquire mode" = "sequence mode"?

For either of these, presumably more is always better ... but how much difference do they make in actual usage, and when / where do they make a difference?

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #802 on: May 09, 2024, 08:10:02 pm »
Hi,

Waveform update rate - the Rigol says up to 30k "vector mode" and up to 1M in "UltraAcquire mode"; the Siglent says up to 80K "normal mode" and up to 500K in "sequence mode." Do "vector mode" = "normal mode" and "UltraAquire mode" = "sequence mode"?

"Normal Mode" means normal acquisition at siglent.
In this mode, the scope achieves up to 120000 wfs/s under certain conditions (other than specified in the data sheet).
In "Sequence Mode", which is another acquisition mode, it reaches up to over 500000 wfs/s.
"Vector mode" is somewhat misleading, it is also the normal mode that is meant with the rigol.
"Ultra Acquire" is actually the sequence mode.
Unlike the Siglent, the rigol does not allow you to choose between dot and vector mode in the display menu; the rigol always has vector mode active.
The same applies to interpolation.
For either of these, presumably more is always better ... but how much difference do they make in actual usage, and when / where do they make a difference?
In practice, I did not notice any significant benefit when using ultra acquire mode with the rigol.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2024, 08:13:38 pm by Martin72 »

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Offline aeberbach

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #803 on: May 10, 2024, 01:29:27 am »
@KungFuJosh
However, even the VESA mount can be done for Siglent with the help of 3D printing and a little creativity.

Here's one: https://www.printables.com/model/863752-siglent-sds8xx-vesa-mount
Software guy studying B.Eng.

The following users thanked this post: KungFuJosh

Offline pdenisowski

• Frequent Contributor
  • Product Management Engineer, Rohde & Schwarz
    • Test and Measurement Fundamentals Playlist on the R&S YouTube channel
« Reply #804 on: May 10, 2024, 09:28:33 am »
In this mode, the scope achieves up to 120000 wfs/s under certain conditions (other than specified in the data sheet).
In "Sequence Mode", which is another acquisition mode, it reaches up to over 500000 wfs/s.

Sorry if this is an ignorant question, but is "sequence mode" the same thing as "segmented memory"? (the way that R&S, Keysight, etc. define it)

The "fast segmentation" mode on some of our scopes can significantly increase waveform acquisition rate, and that's why I'm wondering if "sequence mode" is the same thing

https://youtu.be/7KoMjKwI6qw?t=462

Test and Measurement Fundamentals video series on the Rohde & Schwarz YouTube channel:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKxVoO5jUTlvsVtDcqrVn0ybqBVlLj2z8

Free online test and measurement fundamentals courses from Rohde & Schwarz:  https://tinyurl.com/mv7a4vb6

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #805 on: May 10, 2024, 09:51:57 am »

Sorry if this is an ignorant question, but is "sequence mode" the same thing as "segmented memory"? (the way that R&S, Keysight, etc. define it)

The "fast segmentation" mode on some of our scopes can significantly increase waveform acquisition rate, and that's why I'm wondering if "sequence mode" is the same thing

https://youtu.be/7KoMjKwI6qw?t=462

Yes, they talk about segmented memory.
Funny enough, in Sequence menu, you set number of segments ....  ;D

There is also always running History mode, where scope also, in a same way, also remembers all previous (to extent of available memory of course) triggered captures from normal running mode.
You can use it same as Segmented mode, except Sequence(Segmented  mode) has advantage of much faster triggering.
I believe some R&S scopes have the same feature;D

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, pdenisowski

• Contributor
« Reply #806 on: May 12, 2024, 05:02:01 pm »
I don't know if it is news-worthy or not ... but I have (finally) made my decision and submitted an order. Now anxiously awaiting my new DSO!

Online egonotto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #807 on: May 12, 2024, 05:35:18 pm »
I don't know if it is news-worthy or not ... but I have (finally) made my decision and submitted an order. Now anxiously awaiting my new DSO!

?

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #808 on: May 12, 2024, 05:37:52 pm »

And you have asked the seller to decide which model to send you, to keep up the suspense?  ;)

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, KungFuJosh, Martin72

• Contributor
« Reply #809 on: May 12, 2024, 07:04:15 pm »
Maybe I should set up a poll - how many people think I went with the Rigol, and how many think I went with the Siglent?

Offline Antonio90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #810 on: May 12, 2024, 08:04:01 pm »
My bet is the MXO 5

Edit: if I had to bet, which I don't, it would be the Rigol. And it would be a good choice. I don't think you can really go wrong here with the two options and your requirements TBH.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2024, 08:28:03 pm by Antonio90 »

• Contributor
« Reply #811 on: May 12, 2024, 11:28:27 pm »
Here's a hint. I ordered it several days ago, but it hasn't shipped yet. Trying to be patient ...

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #812 on: May 12, 2024, 11:33:53 pm »
With the release of the SDS800X HD series, there is no longer any reason to choose anything else.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, KungFuJosh, EvgenyG

Offline Geoff-AU

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #813 on: May 13, 2024, 11:05:06 am »
Maybe I should set up a poll - how many people think I went with the Rigol, and how many think I went with the Siglent?

Please include option 3 for those of us who just blew in on page 33 and haven't invested any emotions in your predicament whatsoever  ;D

Whichever you chose, I'm sure you will enjoy it

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #814 on: May 13, 2024, 11:06:15 am »

Please include option 3 for those of us who just blew in on page 33 and haven't invested any emotions in your predicament whatsoever  ;D

Whichever you chose, I'm sure you will enjoy it

3. Whatever. Good for you...

• Contributor
« Reply #815 on: May 14, 2024, 05:26:40 pm »
My apologies - clearly my attempt to be funny (entertaining? cute??) has fallen flat. Ah, well ... my spouse regularly tells me that I'm only half as witty as I think I am. :)

I went with the Siglent. I had hoped to be able to follow up my "announcement" with a picture of the box, but alas, they have yet to ship it.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, 2N3055, KungFuJosh

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #816 on: May 14, 2024, 07:53:53 pm »
My apologies - clearly my attempt to be funny (entertaining? cute??) has fallen flat. Ah, well ... my spouse regularly tells me that I'm only half as witty as I think I am. :)

I went with the Siglent. I had hoped to be able to follow up my "announcement" with a picture of the box, but alas, they have yet to ship it.

I also hoped to be funny.. So we have common problem...  ;D

Seriously, whatever the choice is as long as you are happy with it.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, awakephd

Online egonotto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #817 on: May 14, 2024, 10:47:07 pm »
Hello, 

@awakephd: I would have also ordered an SDS800X HD if I were you, unless your workbench was stable enough to support a heavy Siglent SDS7304A H12.

Have fun with your new device

Best regards
egonotto

The following users thanked this post: pdenisowski, awakephd

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #818 on: May 14, 2024, 11:52:19 pm »
Hello, 

@awakephd: I would have also ordered an SDS800X HD if I were you, unless your workbench was stable enough to support a heavy Siglent SDS7304A H12.

Have fun with your new device

Best regards
egonotto
Certainly 10.6kg is getting up there but lighter than many old boat anchors.  :P
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.   Come visit us at EMEX Stand #1001 https://www.emex.co.nz/
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, pdenisowski

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #819 on: May 15, 2024, 12:09:23 am »
I wouldn't care how much it weighs, as long as I had one. 8)

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, KungFuJosh

Offline mrisco

• Regular Contributor
    • Github repo
« Reply #820 on: May 21, 2024, 12:09:30 am »
Somebody just added a full screen mode to the Rigol...  :popcorn:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hacking-the-rigol-dho800900-scope/msg5471431/#msg5471431

The full screen mod and other additions are now fully functional:

DHO800-900 Extended UI: https://youtu.be/mT4ivaMY7zg

Online vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #821 on: May 21, 2024, 12:34:55 am »
Somebody just added a full screen mode to the Rigol...  :popcorn:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hacking-the-rigol-dho800900-scope/msg5471431/#msg5471431

The full screen mod and other additions are now fully functional:

That's more like an Oscilloscope should look like.
First & foremost, it is a device for looking at waveforms, not reading numbers off a screen filled with clunky "graphics" just because they are "trendy".

The following users thanked this post: pdenisowski

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #822 on: May 21, 2024, 01:15:24 am »
The problem isn't in the interpolation filter at all. Rigol implemented the sin x/x reconstruction wrong. That's it. There is no trade-off to be made here.
In the screenshots that have been posted so far, I could not see that it were "wrong".

I agree.

Rigol isn't "wrong" (or showing a "bug"), they're doing what's practical.

PS: I've been away for a few weeks... did anybody ever try putting an actual AM signal into the Siglent?

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #823 on: May 21, 2024, 07:30:01 am »
... did anybody ever try putting an actual AM signal into the Siglent?

Of course not. Oscilloscopes are just decorations when furnishing a lab.

(I can't find a suitable smiley after that my statement. But I guess everyone understands that kind of thing.)
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, Fungus, pdenisowski

Offline pdenisowski

• Frequent Contributor
  • Product Management Engineer, Rohde & Schwarz
    • Test and Measurement Fundamentals Playlist on the R&S YouTube channel
« Reply #824 on: May 21, 2024, 09:06:51 am »
Certainly 10.6kg is getting up there but lighter than many old boat anchors.  :P

Indeed.  But even plenty of modern T&M instruments weight significantly more than 10.6 kg.  I used to tell people that one of the job requirements for working as an AE in T&M was "Must be able to lift 25 kilograms."  :-DD 

I feel sorry enough for my FedEx driver that I regularly help him load and unload instruments when he comes to my house. 

A good cart is also pretty much a requirement: field T&M professionals talk about and compare carts the same way that most people do with cars or boats :)

Test and Measurement Fundamentals video series on the Rohde & Schwarz YouTube channel:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKxVoO5jUTlvsVtDcqrVn0ybqBVlLj2z8

Free online test and measurement fundamentals courses from Rohde & Schwarz:  https://tinyurl.com/mv7a4vb6

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf