Author Topic: Design a New Precision LCR Tweezers with Much Lower Cost(Video Attached)  (Read 113314 times)

Offline ShannonTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
The screen size difference sounds like a nice addition, but not something that I would render game changer and prevent me from sticking to the current model.
I assume this 100KHz option would be using different HW as well, so no way to update it if we have the first batch of devices, right?

BTW, do you have any picture of the final case? I might have missed it, but I think all the pictures so far were with a 3D printed prototype case, right?
Thanks for your support.

Right, the 100kHz version is a different HW design, so we could not update this version to the next generation by firmware.

For the final case, we cannot offer it now, cause the first batch of modeling case would deliver a few weeks later, at that time we will post it here ;)
Nature and Nature's laws lay hid in night:
God said, Let Newton be! and all was light.

The following users thanked this post: toli, thm_w

Offline bicycleguy

• Frequent Contributor
Silently watching for a while.  Thought this would be a kickstarter by now ^-^
I have two high quality tweezers for surface mount parts.  Since acquiring the curved version I never go to the straight one.  Even though both are of similar quality the curved is easier to see what your doing and for some reason doesn't shoot parts into the rug as often.  For almost any task the curved is better, most notably for turning over parts and easily scooping them off a flat surface.  If they were smart tweezers poking them vertically into a dense pcb comfortably is much easier than straight ones as the picture shows.  Didn't see any mention of this possibility but I might have missed it.
Remember... once you go curved you never go staight ;D

Offline hpw

• Frequent Contributor
Currently dealing with my Hantek and several used probes, so know about and looking for better measurement gear:

1. pressing the tweezers, SMD part flights away and no chance to find it  :palm:

2. measure SMD parts shows a contact issue, as have to press the part even on hand very heavy while the top connect part is not in gold or silver plated or requires a crocodile for contact

3. measure in the 0.xx pF range is a night mare

4. may a zero 0.01 pF calibration or offset would help IMHO and keep that calibrated value, Hantek each time after switch on

5. may a diff function in case pairing various pars as for filter's

just my 2 cents

Hp

• Regular Contributor
Didn't see any mention of this possibility but I might have missed it.
Remember... once you go curved you never go staight ;D
Thanks bicycleguy,

We do find out some LCR tweezers have the curved tips accessory, it's a good idea, and we can try to deliver this type of tips If time permits ;)
and last week we got some ABS cases, they look good, but just a few samples and the manufacture keep optimize the details now.

• Regular Contributor
Currently dealing with my Hantek and several used probes, so know about and looking for better measurement gear:

1. pressing the tweezers, SMD part flights away and no chance to find it  :palm:

2. measure SMD parts shows a contact issue, as have to press the part even on hand very heavy while the top connect part is not in gold or silver plated or requires a crocodile for contact

3. measure in the 0.xx pF range is a night mare

4. may a zero 0.01 pF calibration or offset would help IMHO and keep that calibrated value, Hantek each time after switch on

5. may a diff function in case pairing various pars as for filter's

just my 2 cents

Hp
We understand your headache problems, that's what we want to solve as well. Stable mechanical structure and measurement are all necessary, not one less.

the 5. tips may need other standard components for reference, and we have considered that the user could input the standard value for this filter, but the operation is unfriendly for these tiny instruments, so we didn't implement this function yet. :P

Offline hpw

• Frequent Contributor

@Shannon

>> We understand your headache problems, that's what we want to solve as well. Stable mechanical structure and measurement are all necessary, not one less.

Have now about 4 different ALI cables so called SMD connections, some really 4 pol some less... al the same issue!! no contact as may all not coated with gold ends... or the required force to do any contact at all... only the golden looking crocodile was the only one with good contacts at first trying ... 

hp

The following users thanked this post: Shannon

• Regular Contributor
Re: Design a New Precision LCR Tweezers with Much Lower Cost(Video Attached)
« Reply #181 on: August 01, 2021, 02:50:46 pm »
Hey there, I'm back with some good news.

The name of this product is Shannon Tweezers, and the version of these tweezers is ST42.
And the logo is a beautiful ghost smile.
We have assembled some pieces of prototypes, please see the attached image. they are a menu image and a new ABS case with a Leather protective sleeve.

Time flies, to be honest, we encountered many unexpected obstacles, especially for the ABS model, which really makes us exhausted and frustrated.
we have asked the manufacture to modify the model four times for different reasons, but unfortunately, there are still some unperfect details at this stage, we have argued with the factory many times.
It's not easy to make the details as good as we want, when we want to balance the cost performance even in China, we are still battling with the factory for a better ABS case |O

We are insisting on optimizing those details, and there is no retreat.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, voltsandjolts, tautech, SilverSolder, syau

Offline toli

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #182 on: August 01, 2021, 03:09:38 pm »
Thanks for the update, I was wondering when we'll be hearing back on this :)

Any updated ETA or are the issues with the case so problematic that there is no real estimation at the moment?
My DIY blog (mostly electronics/stereo related):
http://tolisdiy.com/

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #183 on: August 01, 2021, 03:19:43 pm »
The factory is located in Ningbo province, which just encounters a typhoon, and its model and machines sunk in the water.

Actually, I plan to get the final ABS case and show the details here, but when I got this news, I decided to post the prototype image firstly.

So I HOPE we could get the final ABS case 1.5 months later, and could assembly those together after 0.5 months. :palm:

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, WaveletSea

Offline Sparrow

Re: Design a New Precision LCR Tweezers with Much Lower Cost
« Reply #184 on: September 01, 2021, 09:37:20 pm »
We use a rechargeable Li-on Battery...

I've been looking for a nice LCR meter/tweezers lately and these look like they could be good if the price and accuracy are right.
Personally, I don't like non-replaceable Li-ion batteries in products that I won't be using/re-charging on a regular basis. They can go into sleep mode if I forget to charge them.
I would prefer a battery that can be easily replaced, re-chargeable or not.
It looks like it's too late in the process to change this, so a few questions
1. Is the battery easily replaceable?
2. If the tweezers are just left to fully discharge, how long would it take for the battery to go into sleep mode?
3. Will the charging circuit allow the battery to exit sleep mode or would you need to get direct access to the battery terminals?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #185 on: September 02, 2021, 02:04:42 pm »
1. Is the battery easily replaceable?
No, it is difficult for us to weigh detachable convenience and aesthetics.
PS: The battery life can be very long, and it can be left for a long time after shutting down, so don't worry about it. ;)

2. If the tweezers are just left to fully discharge, how long would it take for the battery to go into sleep mode?
The time to enter sleep can be adjusted, and it has nothing to do with whether the battery is fully discharged, the default is one minute

3. Will the charging circuit allow the battery to exit sleep mode or would you need to get direct access to the battery terminals?
The battery terminals are not directly accessible, and can only be charged through the TypeC interface.

Offline Sparrow

« Reply #186 on: September 02, 2021, 03:59:26 pm »
PS: The battery life can be very long, and it can be left for a long time after shutting down, so don't worry about it. ;)
That's very vague. How long is "very long"? 1 month? 1 year? 20 years?
I do worry about these things. And I can leave things uncharged for a "very long" time.

The time to enter sleep can be adjusted, and it has nothing to do with whether the battery is fully discharged, the default is one minute
I was NOT refering to the tweezers' sleep mode, I was refering to the sleep mode Li-ion batteries enter when they are fully discharged.
Usually, simply plugging the charger in will not revive the battery.
I'm sure you know all about these things.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #187 on: September 03, 2021, 04:30:01 pm »
That's very vague. How long is "very long"? 1 month? 1 year? 20 years?
I do worry about these things. And I can leave things uncharged for a "very long" time.

I was NOT refering to the tweezers' sleep mode, I was refering to the sleep mode Li-ion batteries enter when they are fully discharged.
Usually, simply plugging the charger in will not revive the battery.
I'm sure you know all about these things.
Thanks for your question.

At the beginning of the design, this spec was taken into consideration by us.
Our design spec is less than the leakage of the lithium battery itself. The design goal is within a few microamps. According to the battery capacity we choose, the calculated result is 100,000hour, It sounds impossible.
The leakage of the battery itself is the biggest problem, the self-discharge spec of the battery we choose now shows that it can be stored for 1 to 12 months, which is closely related to its storage temperature.
please refer the attached image, a leakage test result and battery spec.

For the second question.
After plugging in the charger, the charging circuit wakes up the battery in a small current charging mode, and when the voltage reaches the normal range, it is charged with the set current.
There is no need to disassemble these tweezers with additional operations to revive the battery.

We have not measured how long the lithium battery can go to sleep mode(battery protection circuit module discharge cut off?), you can refer to the battery's self-discharge spec.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline WaveletSea

• WaveletSurfer
« Reply #188 on: September 25, 2021, 10:08:32 pm »
Instead of making the sticks of your tweezer fixed - wouldn't it be better to use Type-C connectors in vertical?
This kind of design is way more flexible and way smarter,especially when you need to swap your tweezers stick with some other custom probes.

P.S: & also this kind of approach with Type-C sockets should make the routing of true kelvin custom probes/tips way easier.
 8)

aliexpress.com/item/1005001871184488.html
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 04:52:20 am by WaveletSea »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #189 on: October 01, 2021, 03:01:26 am »
Instead of making the sticks of your tweezer fixed - wouldn't it be better to use Type-C connectors in vertical?
This kind of design is way more flexible and way smarter,especially when you need to swap your tweezers stick with some other custom probes.

P.S: & also this kind of approach with Type-C sockets should make the routing of true kelvin custom probes/tips way easier.
 8)

aliexpress.com/item/1005001871184488.html

Thanks for your suggestion :D
You mean to say,
The tweezers tip and the body can be linked by TypeC. TypeC has many signal wires, which can transmit power and Kelvin signals at the same time.
Similar to DT71, use 3.5mm audio interface to transmit power and signal, but not four-wire Kelvin.
It's a good idea, it's convenient to assemble,
TypeC is the most stable one compare to micro USB, Mini USB, Lighting and etc,
but the structure may not be stable for daily use.

We could make more custom probes, the replacement needs to use a screwdriver teardown four screws.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 03:06:28 am by Shannon »

Online Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #190 on: October 01, 2021, 03:09:28 am »
This seems like a bad idea.  The sideways forces on the USB-C connectors during use of the tweezers are likely to lead to early failure, or at least intermittent connection.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #191 on: October 01, 2021, 03:39:34 am »
This seems like a bad idea.  The sideways forces on the USB-C connectors during use of the tweezers are likely to lead to early failure, or at least intermittent connection.
as you mentioned, the ability to defend sideways forces are the key factor for tweezers, especially for the tiny SMT components.
Before we select these structures, we have done many designs and tests to improve the mechanical stability.

this video has compared some tweezers for reference. ^-^

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #192 on: October 01, 2021, 09:57:07 am »
Very nice job !  :clap:
Really like how you have enough springiness in the tips and how the tweezer arms bottom out so not to overload the tips and send 0603's flying.

IMO the power OFF could be reduced to 5s or even 3s.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #193 on: October 02, 2021, 02:08:21 am »
Very nice job !  :clap:
Really like how you have enough springiness in the tips and how the tweezer arms bottom out so not to overload the tips and send 0603's flying.

IMO the power OFF could be reduced to 5s or even 3s.

Ha, we have the same idea,
the Power OFF notice time has been reduced to 5s already.

BTW, The ABS shell mold has been changed many times, and we feel it is very good, and now we have made some tweezers.
It's time to go to the market. >:D

The following users thanked this post: toli, Kean, WaveletSea

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #194 on: October 02, 2021, 03:40:26 pm »
Hi there,

We have finally completed the product transformation and upgrade, and it is time to accept the reservation.
We are currently working on the Kickstarter project, but I want to know, are there any friends who cannot use the Kickstarter platform?

Now that we have reached the state we want, I am very excited about this moment.
We put the tip of the tweezers under the microscope, we can clearly see the fineness of the tip of the tweezers, and it is very easy to clamp the 0402 components.
I am very happy that they have achieved the performance I want.

Attach some latest photos. If you are interested, you can reply directly. I will prepare a simple unboxing video tomorrow ;).

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline toli

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #195 on: October 02, 2021, 03:46:42 pm »
Glad to hear it finally got to that point, great job  :-+
Let us know when/where we could get one, I'm still interested in getting a set.
My DIY blog (mostly electronics/stereo related):
http://tolisdiy.com/

Offline fkfaraz

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #196 on: October 02, 2021, 03:47:49 pm »
Hello Ali Express plz....
I can only order from Ali Express. I am not so sure how kick starter work so the safe place for me would be the Ali Express..

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #197 on: October 02, 2021, 04:01:01 pm »
Glad to hear it finally got to that point, great job  :-+
Let us know when/where we could get one, I'm still interested in getting a set.
Thanks toli,
Glad to know you are still paying close attention to Shannon Tweezers ;D

I plan to make the project online within a week, and then if it reaches 100 backers, it will be shipped within 1 month.
Could you use Kickstarter Plaform? Do you think it's too late for you?

If we only need to write a link to the EEVblog Forum on the Kickstarter platform, we can gather 100 reservations, and I will wake up in my dreams.

We are preparing videos, pictures, and some materials that can make the project online. I hope they can let me pass it.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 04:33:20 pm by Shannon »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #198 on: October 02, 2021, 04:09:38 pm »
Hello Ali Express plz....
I can only order from Ali Express. I am not so sure how kick starter work so the safe place for me would be the Ali Express..
Hi fkfaraz,

We didn't have an Ali Express account, but we will try to find some other ways to release Shannon Tweezers on this platform, hope it works :palm:

Offline fkfaraz

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #199 on: October 02, 2021, 06:08:48 pm »
Banggood??

These are the only places we can order from. All other places like amezon, ebay dont work here |O
your tweezers looks so much prmoising that i have kept me and my other collegues from buying other tweezer like mastech etc. we have been waiting for it pationately... :-// 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf