Author Topic: Finally! Hantek HDM3065 6.5 Digit DMM  (Read 22253 times)

Offline Marco Camara

• Contributor
Re: Finally! Hantek HDM3065 6.5 Digit DMM
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2021, 08:11:18 pm »
Well, I've payed approximately US$ 700. The Siglent SDM3065 costs US$ 1,108 with less features (no back panel probe connections, 10.000 samples/sec - HDM3065 offers 30.000). 1108/705 > 150%. That's the reasons why I choose Hantek.

The following users thanked this post: Markus2801A

Offline Tom A

« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2021, 02:38:36 am »
I find it is selled on Amazon now.

Offline 571532474@qq.com

« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2021, 03:16:54 pm »
I want to ask if this equipment worth buying?

Offline mmx01

• Contributor
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2022, 12:33:10 pm »
I am wondering about the same. They take pre-orders on banggood for 558 eur for 6 1/2 digit version which isn't bad comparing to prices of siglent. I could do fine with 5 1/2 version for my needs but 100 eur difference makes it worth make it future proof purchase if that's decent equipment.  I watched and read 5 1/2 reviews and was left with mixed feelings... that's for home use only and it is hard to get 34401A for less than 500 eur in decent shape and it misses new digi era addons.

Regards,
Mariusz

Offline Algoma

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2022, 04:31:20 pm »
Hantek seems to have some delay with mass production of these, Perhaps soon we can see how the hardware has improved to achieve an entire 6.5 digits, for only + $100USD more.

- At least on paper the specifications look well worth the price.

The following users thanked this post: OlliFell

Online Mortymore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2022, 02:59:22 pm »
The price €1291 (€1050+23%)  for the HDM3065B at Hantek.pt is outrageous.  :scared:
https://www.hantek.pt/28-outros-instrumentos

Even cheaper than the Hantek, who would buy an HDM3065B over a Keysight 34461A (€1189) or a Keithley DMM6500(€1129)?
https://www.welectron.com/Benchtop_1

The following users thanked this post: Atomillo

Offline Algoma

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2022, 04:01:16 pm »
Likely sunk costs of development and price of components. Took them quite a while to bring it to market and seems to have suffered delays. It does have specs on paper that seem to meet the price, but I get their feeling they're not going to sell very many without a quality reputation to back it up.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 06:36:36 pm by rsjsouza »
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Online Mortymore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2022, 06:53:34 pm »
Those prices don't apply here. They lack income taxes and IVA, that would add on top of that some 25...30% or so

If the 6.5 digit Hantek don't have an attractive price compared to the Siglent 6.5 SDM3065, I don't see how would Hantek expect to sell that meter in Europe with prices well over the Siglent, and about the same of a Keithley or Keysight.

Offline vav

• Contributor
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2022, 09:21:02 pm »
Hantek 3065, bought at Banggood for € 527. Arrived today, I had a problem turning on the device. I had to slide the switch. A few photos on that occasion. The cabinet is steel, sheet thickness 2mm.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 09:37:23 pm by vav »

The following users thanked this post: Kleinstein, krish2nasa, Mortymore, ch_scr, Svgeesus, Markus2801A

Offline diodak

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2022, 04:57:03 pm »
You can see the difference in the TRMS converter, there is a voltage divider as a module on ceramics (finally!). Unfortunately, the reference voltage does not look any better ... Temperature sensor close to the reference probably to compensate for the drift. Basically the same principle of measuring and converting.
On my behalf, thank you for the photos - I was very curious what they changed in the 6.5-digit version  :)

The following users thanked this post: unicornio

Offline vav

• Contributor
« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2022, 05:17:11 pm »
Short mutual comparison of Hantek 3055 and 3065 multimeters.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 05:20:35 pm by vav »

The following users thanked this post: Kleinstein, Markus2801A

Online Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2022, 09:34:42 pm »
To a large part it looks like expected. The diodes and 2x8 SOT23 parts next to them are the protection for the ohms (and cap measurement) source. Looks quite a lot like the Sigilent SDM3055 in this respect.  I don't expect extra memory there - more liks OPs in the SO8 chips.

The 3055 likely still uses a RMS chip, just a cheaper model, that may only need one filter cap.
The SMD resistors replacing the ceramic chip look quite small - so one may have to be a little careful with high voltage and the CAT rating.
It is also odd to see only 1 string of the larger SMD resistors typical for protection.  I somewhat miss 2 more of those for the protection of the Ohms sense inputs. Unless there is protection on the bottom, I would be careful with the sense inputs.

For the looks I would consider the SDM3055E  (SDM3045 with different firmware) the closest competition to the HDM3055.

The following users thanked this post: vav

Offline Otso

• Contributor
« Reply #63 on: October 13, 2022, 07:23:21 pm »
I just purchased the HDM3055. I infrequently do electronic projects and wanted something to have on my desk instead of my Fluke 179 (the only other DMM that I have really used). I'm a noob. I have no previous experience of a desktop DMM, so I have nothing to compare to. Some first impressions, just on usability, not precision etc., after a day of use:

- It's completely silent. The fan has never started, except on boot when it spins up (so I know the fan is functional). I value this very much and was one reason I bought this particular DMM, since I had understood that it is silent. Now I can leave it on without bothering me.

Some annoying things though:

- You can save preferences and settings, but there is no way I am able to get the button click beeps off after boot. My "man cave" is next to the bedroom, and I don't want it to start beeping when I turn it on late at night while my wife is at sleep. It's a few clicks to get to the menu setting to turn the beeps off, so some beeps are unavoidable AFAIK. If someone knows how to save this setting, please tell me. Other settings are restored though. Feels like a bug.

- The Probe Hold feature would have been useful, but it does not work for my uses in practice.  In this mode it is supposed to display the last 8 reading in a table. For example, I wanted to use it when matching resistors for audio projects (especially if you don't have 0.1% resistors at hand). However, it does not record a new reading if the new value is too close to the previous one. For example, measure one resistor at 99.96kΩ. The value is added to the list, good. Let go of the resistor. The infinite value is not recorded, good. Measure the next resistor, 99.98kΩ. The value is not recorded, since it is too close to the previous value. Useless for me. At least add a manual trigger option which works elsewhere, but not in Probe Hold. (When measuring voltages, it does not record the intermediate close-to-zero voltages, which is good, though). Also, the resolution is reduced, and there is no way you can effect this. It would be nice if you could configure the sensitivity for recording new values and the resolution.

- When saving a measurement series to a file, the values are stored in reverse order, i.e. last measurement will be first in the list. Is this normal? So if you were to plot a graph, you'd have to reverse the list first. Why? (I just tested this quickly, so I may be wrong.)

- You can set the date and time on the device. I would have expected it to record the timestamp of the measurements in the file, but it doesn't. Why not? If you want to draw a chart you can't know when the measurement was done. Sure you can set the interval between readings, but that I'd expect that to drift as each reading will not be triggered exactly on that interval, right? I haven't tested though. But still, why not put a timestamp on the readings. What's the clock used for? Just saving the timestamp to the file modification date?

- Clearing the list of samples to be saved is in a completely different menu than where the samples are saved. There is a direct "Acquire" button that goes to saving samples (Save Readings), but if you want to clear the list you have to press Shift, Math, Statistics, Clear Readings (four button presses). The Acquire screen has an empty slot for the context sensitive buttons. Why not put Clear Readings there (as well)? (I tried to insert the attached screenshot here inline, but failed.) Then you go back to Acquire Save, then back to Shift, Math... Small thing maybe, but a PITA, especially since it could have been done better at the same cost without compromising on some other feature. Edit: There is no "shift function" for the Acquire button. They could even have dedicated that to "Clear Readings".

(Save displays "Down writing to file.", should probably be "Done writing to file.").

The display is good/ok. The colors get inverted if you look from above, starting at about a 45 degree angle. I haven't looked from underneath, but I suspect it is the same. From the sides it looks good all the way to 180 degrees. I have some minor backlight issue in the lower left corner. It's mostly visible when you boot it when the screen is black, but you can slightly see it in normal use as a brighter spot. It's not so bad that I would return it in hope of getting a better one, but a little distracting when you start staring at it. I guess most people wouldn't notice it, but I'm a little sensitive to things like this. ;-)

There are no firmware updates available.

There's no manual for the SCPI commands, but I tested a few commands from a Keysight manual, and the ones I tested works. I got the VISA interface working on Linux. I would have hoped to get a simple USB serial interface, but that did not work out of the box, and I don't know how to configure it. If anyone knows, please share.

Despite my rant, I'm happy with my purchase, but then again, I have nothing to compare to. Anyway, it's so much more fun to use than a handheld DMM.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2022, 05:39:48 pm by Otso »

The following users thanked this post: Willywaller

Online Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64 on: October 13, 2022, 07:57:08 pm »
Storing the samples in reverse order is strange and more like a bug.
A reduced resolution in the file / list is also odd. It is common to have more resultion in the file / PC interface than on the display, but not the opposite.

Not having a time stamp in the file is a bit a thing of the past, from times when memory was expensive. It can still get shorter files and often the fixed data rate is good enough, or that data a logged directly to a PC. A time stamp would still be nice, sepcially if auto ranging is active and thus possibly not a constant data rate.

For the resistor matching one could use a save to file as a work around, or have an extra dummy resistor for in between.

A not so polished user interface is not so uncommon with cheap meters. It may take some time using the meter to really learn the features - at least those you need. After finding out most of the functions by try an error, it may still make sense to have a read through the manual.

The real time clock may indeed only be good for the file date - still quite useful to have valid date and not just fictive one.

Offline Otso

• Contributor
« Reply #65 on: October 13, 2022, 08:11:06 pm »
Thanks for your comments!

Storing the samples in reverse order is strange and more like a bug.

I'll verify that this is actually the case. I may be wrong as I only did a quick test.
Edit: Now I'm positive they are in reversed order. I manually triggered measuring four resistors: 100Ω, 47Ω, 100kΩ, 100kΩ, in that order, and the order is reversed in the file.

A reduced resolution in the file / list is also odd. It is common to have more resultion in the file / PC interface than on the display, but not the opposite.

The file has increased resolution. The reduced resolution is in the Probe Hold where 8 readings are displayed as a list on the display.

Not having a time stamp in the file is a bit a thing of the past, from times when memory was expensive. It can still get shorter files and often the fixed data rate is good enough, or that data a logged directly to a PC. A time stamp would still be nice, sepcially if auto ranging is active and thus possibly not a constant data rate.

Ok good to know. Maybe they'll add it in a firmware update.

Yes, I'll just log to the computer, but sometimes it is convenient not to have to connect it to a computer or start the computer.

For the resistor matching one could use a save to file as a work around, or have an extra dummy resistor for in between.
Yes, that could be a good workaround, but then I will only have 4 real readings on the display. Saving to file will work, and may be better anyway as I can get more than 8 readings and with more precision. The automatic hands off triggering of Probe Hold would be nice though, if it worked. If I had implemented it I would reset the trigger whenever it goes to infinite resistance in between the readings. I'm thinking of attaching a foot switch to the external trigger to get hands of triggering.

A not so polished user interface is not so uncommon with cheap meters. It may take some time using the meter to really learn the features - at least those you need. After finding out most of the functions by try an error, it may still make sense to have a read through the manual.

Right, yes, I did not expect wonders of one of the cheapest desktop DMMs I could find with "advanced" features. I read the manual even before I purchased it, and again after getting it :-)

The real time clock may indeed only be good for the file date - still quite useful to have valid date and not just fictive one.

Yes, I just noticed when I tried to add the screenshot in my previous post that it adds the timestamp to the screenshot as well (not only the file timestamp, but in the actual picture).
« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 08:30:44 pm by Otso »

Online BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66 on: October 13, 2022, 10:27:27 pm »
Some annoying things though:
It wouldn't be a Hantek otherwise  :-DD
Bill  (Currently a Siglent fanboy)
--------------------------------------------------
Want to see an old guy fumble around re-learning a career left 40 years ago?  Well, look no further .. https://www.youtube.com/@uni-byte

Offline Otso

• Contributor
« Reply #67 on: October 16, 2022, 05:39:00 pm »
- The Probe Hold feature would have been useful, but it does not work for my uses in practice.

I just tested measuring voltages with Probe Hold, and it works exceptionally well. The problem I mentioned seems to be when measuring resistance. I haven't tried anything else than voltage and resistance so far.

- Clearing the list of samples to be saved is in a completely different menu than where the samples are saved. There is a direct "Acquire" button that goes to saving samples (Save Readings), but if you want to clear the list you have to press Shift, Math, Statistics, Clear Readings (four button presses).

There's actually a shorter way than four button presses. When you enable the statistics display, then there is a Clear Readings option in the main screen of what your measuring. So for example, if you are measuring DC, then just press DC -> Clear Readings (two presses), and then back to Acquire -> Save. This is a lot better than the four button menu diving. Clear Readings is normally only shown when you have statistics shown on the screen as well, but there's something I think is a bug (in a good way this time) that makes it shown even without statistics. I discovered this by mistake. You have to press the menu buttons in a very specific way. (Can't bother to write how now).  I can't see why they should ever disable the Clear Readings option in the main screen, since the menu slot is empty otherwise.

The HSM3055 is getting better now that I'm familiar with it's quirks. Hopefully the UI/usability gets better with a future firmware update. I wonder if they accept and process user feedback.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2022, 07:39:38 pm by Otso »

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #68 on: October 16, 2022, 10:20:33 pm »

There's actually a shorter way than four button presses. When you enable the statistics display, then there is a Clear Readings option in the main screen of what your measuring. So for example, if you are measuring DC, then just press DC -> Clear Readings (two presses), and then back to Acquire -> Save. This is a lot better than the four button menu diving. Clear Readings is normally only shown when you have statistics shown on the screen as well, but there's something I think is a bug (in a good way this time) that makes it shown even without statistics. I discovered this by mistake. You have to press the menu buttons in a very specific way. (Can't bother to write how now).  I can't see why they should ever disable the Clear Readings option in the main screen, since the menu slot is empty otherwise.
This sentence reminded me of the following xkcd cartoon: Wisdom of the ancients

https://xkcd.com/979/
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

The following users thanked this post: Mortymore

Offline Otso

• Contributor
« Reply #69 on: October 17, 2022, 02:53:54 pm »
This sentence reminded me of the following xkcd cartoon: Wisdom of the ancients

;D Ok, here it comes.

Short version:
  • Select either the Trend Chart or Histogram display.
  • Press Shift -> Maths -> Statistics -> Hide

That's it! After this Clear Readings is shown on all display types (Number,  Bar Meter, Trend Chart and Histogram) without statistics enabled.

Long story:

The HSM30x5 has four main display types: Number,  Bar Meter, Trend Chart and Histogram. Number and Bar Meter do not normally show Clear Readings unless statistics are displayed. Bar Meter and Trend Chart always display Clear Readings, which is natural since that will also clear the trend chart and histogram. If you have the Number display and go to statistics and disable the statistics info, then also Clear Readings will disappear from the Number display. However if you first go to Chart/Histogram and then disable the statistics the Clear Readings will stay on Number/Bar Meter.

The software developer probably intentionally removed Clear Readings from Number/Bar Meter when no statistics are displayed, because he/she thought that it is useless since it then won't have any effect on the currently displayed screen. This is correct, but it is still useful for clearing the buffer that will be saved to your file. I assume that it is a bug that it stays if you go via the Trend Chart/Histogram. Hopefully they won't fix this. ;-) The optimal solution, IMO, would be to always leave Clear Readings visible on all four display types.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 08:46:09 pm by Otso »

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Offline Otso

• Contributor
« Reply #70 on: October 18, 2022, 07:49:53 pm »
The continuity tester is much more sensitive on my Fluke 179 than on the Hantek, using the same probes on both.

Edit: That's because the Fluke beeps at < 25Ω and the Hantek at < 10Ω.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2022, 10:49:50 pm by Otso »

Offline Microcheap

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #71 on: October 19, 2022, 04:56:30 am »
I got a HDM3065 for me a few week ago. It's just for hobby and I have used it occasionally only but I'm very happy with it so far.

It is also odd to see only 1 string of the larger SMD resistors typical for protection.  I somewhat miss 2 more of those for the protection of the Ohms sense inputs. Unless there is protection on the bottom, I would be careful with the sense inputs.
I'm more curious than worried about any warranty so I opened my meter as soon as I got it and took some pictures of the PCB. The pics are not great and there's not much else on the bottom of the board but the missing resistors are indeed there.

- It's completely silent. The fan has never started, except on boot when it spins up (so I know the fan is functional). I value this very much and was one reason I bought this particular DMM, since I had understood that it is silent. Now I can leave it on without bothering me.
If I leave the meter on for long enough, the fan will eventually kick in. It works for a few seconds and then turn of again. It's a bit loud, but it is ok for me. My power supply and my DS1054Z are as loud or worse and their fan are permanently on.

- You can save preferences and settings, but there is no way I am able to get the button click beeps off after boot.
I have no issue here. Check which settings your meter are loading during start up: go to [Shift]+Utility -> Store/Recall -> Power on
You can select the last settings used (that's how I set), the settings saved in a file or factory default.

There are no firmware updates available.
I don't know with firmware version is yours but Hantek sent me some updates for the HDM3055 and HDM3065. Given the forum attachment limit I'll attach the files on my next post if anyone is interested.
Don't ask me which fixes are included. I've asked Hantek the same question and got no reply. At least, it did not break anything on my meter.  :phew:

There's no manual for the SCPI commands, but I tested a few commands from a Keysight manual, and the ones I tested works. I got the VISA interface working on Linux. I would have hoped to get a simple USB serial interface, but that did not work out of the box, and I don't know how to configure it. If anyone knows, please share.
I also got the SCPI manual from Hantek (see attachments). I'm pretty sure it was available on their website but they must have removed it  :-//
I'm using the RS-232 interface of the meter with Test Controller to log some measurements.
There's no HDM30x5 option on Test Controller yet, but you can just select the Keysight 34461A on the device list and then change the SCPI command set on your meter to "Agilent".  ([Shift]+Utility -> I/O Config -> SCPI)

Regarding the user interface, I think Hantek, let's say, took an inspiration on the 34461A. I was watching and everything looks identical, except for some more advanced options that are missing on the Hantek's meter, everything else looks the same.
Looking at some pictures, even the layout of the components on the PCB are very similar on both meters.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 05:17:46 am by Microcheap »

Offline Microcheap

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #72 on: October 19, 2022, 05:11:30 am »
To update the HDM3055 firmware, download the file htdmm55_V2004(2207081100)_20220708_R.zip.

For the HDM3065 use the file htdmm65_V2006(2208011137)_20220801_R.zip

Just extract the .up to an USB stick, plug it on the instrument and select the option [Shift]+Utility -> Test/Admin -> Firmware Update

The following users thanked this post: diodak, giovannirat, vav

Offline diodak

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #73 on: October 19, 2022, 05:47:21 pm »
In my HDM3055 the above firmware has been loaded. So far it works :) I didn't expect some new ones to be available so thank you for sharing.
After the upgrade:
"Software: 2.0.0.2 (2103131444) Firmware: 01.01.10.24.20-02.05"
 has changed to:
"Software: 2.0.0.4 (2207081100) Firmware: 01.03.06.01.22-02.05-02"

Offline Otso

• Contributor
« Reply #74 on: October 19, 2022, 07:54:41 pm »
I got a HDM3065 for me a few week ago. It's just for hobby and I have used it occasionally only but I'm very happy with it so far.

If I leave the meter on for long enough, the fan will eventually kick in. It works for a few seconds and then turn of again. It's a bit loud, but it is ok for me. My power supply and my DS1054Z are as loud or worse and their fan are permanently on.

Yes, it's spun up for a minute or so when I have had it on for a long time. I don't find it so loud. I have an old Siglent SDG1025 waveform generator and that's what I call loud, and it's loud all the time. Really annoying. In the Siglent it's not actually the fan itself, but the vent holes that make the noise. I opened it thinking about replacing the fan, but when the fan is not close to the holes then the fan itself is quite silent. 

Quote from: Microcheap
Quote from: Otso
- You can save preferences and settings, but there is no way I am able to get the button click beeps off after boot.
I have no issue here. Check which settings your meter are loading during start up: go to [Shift]+Utility -> Store/Recall -> Power on
You can select the last settings used (that's how I set), the settings saved in a file or factory default.

That's how I have it. Still doesn't restore the button clicks to off for me. I'll update the firmware and see if that changes.

Edit: Updated to 2.0.0.4 from the file you provide. I have Utility -> Store/Recall -> Power On -> Last. Buttons still make the click sound after power on, even though I have them off before powering off. I, for example, changed the screen brightness, and that setting stays as I left it. But neither Beeper nor Key Click settings stay.

I don't know with firmware version is yours

How do you check the firmware version? I would have expected it to be in Utility -> Test/Admin, but it's not there and the manual doesn't say anything about it either. And it doesn't show on boot.

Edit: *IDN? says I have 2.0.0.3. Still curious how to check the version on the display.

Edit 2: Found it in the help menu -> About.

I also got the SCPI manual from Hantek (see attachments).
Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 09:25:39 pm by Otso »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf