Author Topic: REVIEW - Rigol DS2072 - First Impressions of the DS2000 series from Rigol  (Read 1101025 times)

Offline Jean

Hi guys!

A quick question, I hope I didn't miss it being already covered in the last 78 (!!!  :-+) pages. Having used my scope several times now, I still can't get how to enable or disable measurements from the left-side meu. I find it very hard to see the logic of that. Sometimes new measurements appear on the right side, sometimes it shifts the older measurements and appears somewhere between the already activated ones. Is there any way that Rigol will change that very annoiing behaviour any time soon?Thank god they listened to us about the inverted X-Y mode...

XaS

Hi XaS,

To disable them, use "Measure" button, then choose "Clear" menu, you can now delete any of the 5 items (measures), you can also disable all of them by pressing "All items". It's possible to "undo" everything by choosing "Recover".

Hope it helps :)

Offline ct

I start following this topic after I watched Marmad's review of the Rigol 2072 oscilloscope. ...And here is another new owner of the Rigol 2072. I'm a beginner in electronics, with some ties in the past, but I'm very excited to have just bought a tool I can use to see what's going on inside my or others' electronic circuits. And what a tool it is! Also, it's good to see experienced users exploring the features and sharing information about this oscilloscope. For us, beginners, it's priceless. Thanks.
OK, too much excitement here. I'm going back to work now, but I can't wait to use the oscilloscope again.

Offline marmadTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Having used my scope several times now, I still can't get how to enable or disable measurements from the left-side meu. I find it very hard to see the logic of that. Sometimes new measurements appear on the right side, sometimes it shifts the older measurements and appears somewhere between the already activated ones.

@Xas: I can't say that I've seen that behavior. When I add a measurement, it always appears in the first 'open' position (of five positions) farthest right - or if all positions are filled (i.e. 5 measurements already on screen), all of them move one position to the left (the farthest left disappears), and the new one again appears farthest right. For deleting them, as Jean mentioned, you have many options under the 'Measure' menu.

Offline XaS

• Contributor
Hi Jean

Thanks for your tip. I always use the clear all method. Sadly that doesn't solve my problem. To clarify what I mean:

- Select Period Measurement on CH1 and after that the same on CH2. You got now:
   |  Period CH1 | Period CH2 | empty | empty | empty |

- Now clear all measurements, you get:
   |  empty | empty | empty | empty | empty |

- Now select Period Measurement on CH2. You get:
   |  Period CH2 | empty | empty | empty | empty |

- Select Period Measurement on CH1. I would like it to appear on the right of Period Measurement CH2, like this:
   |  Period CH2Period CH1 | empty | empty | empty |

Instead I get the same as after the first step. I see no way to sort the measurements the way I like besides fill all measurement slots with garbage, delete them and then fill them in the right order.

XaS

Edit: Sorry marmad, I didn't see your post before I saved mine. The problem is in re-activating a measurement which is still in a recovery-slot. In my opinion, this recover option messes up the order. No big deal but sometimes annoying to me.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 12:18:34 pm by XaS »

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
- Select Period Measurement on CH1. I would like it to appear on the right of Period Measurement CH2, like this:

Instead I get the same as after the first step. I see no way to sort the measurements the way I like besides fill all measurement slots with garbage, delete them and then fill them in the right order.

Hmm... I get exactly what you would like to get (as shown above) - I don't get the same as after the first step  ???

For me, the Recover options don't seem to have any effect if I've used 'All Items' -> 'Delete'.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 12:37:01 pm by marmad »

Offline orbiter

• Frequent Contributor
  • -0 Resistance is Futile

Hmm... I get exactly what you would like to get (as shown above) - I don't get the same as after the first step  ???

For me, the Recover options don't seem to have any effect if I've used 'All Items' -> 'Delete'.

I get the same as marmad too.

Offline XaS

• Contributor
marmad and orbiter, thanks for checking with your units. I still run v00.00.01.00.05, maybe this is fixed in the most recent software version?

XaS

Offline Jean

I have the same behaviour as XaS :

- clear all
- period on ch1 then ch2 => period period
- clear all
- period on ch2 then ch1 => period period

Firmware 00.00.01.00.05

Offline Jean

I start following this topic after I watched Marmad's review of the Rigol 2072 oscilloscope. ...And here is another new owner of the Rigol 2072. I'm a beginner in electronics, with some ties in the past, but I'm very excited to have just bought a tool I can use to see what's going on inside my or others' electronic circuits. And what a tool it is! Also, it's good to see experienced users exploring the features and sharing information about this oscilloscope. For us, beginners, it's priceless. Thanks.
OK, too much excitement here. I'm going back to work now, but I can't wait to use the oscilloscope again.

Welcome and enjoy the scope :)

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
marmad and orbiter, thanks for checking with your units. I still run v00.00.01.00.05, maybe this is fixed in the most recent software version?

XaS

Yes, I think it must be; I'm using FW 01.00.00.03. What about you, orbiter?

Offline orbiter

• Frequent Contributor

XaS

Same here marmad.. FW v.01.00.00.03

@XaS.. The latest FW does indeed sort out a few issues on the scope, as shown on page one of this thread via marmads excellent compilation of info. https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/first-impressions-and-review-of-the-rigol-ds2072-ds2000-series-dso/msg158684/#msg158684

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
@XaS.. The latest FW does indeed sort out a few issues on the scope, as shown on page one of this thread via marmads excellent compilation of info. https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/first-impressions-and-review-of-the-rigol-ds2072-ds2000-series-dso/msg158684/#msg158684
Although the latest firmware also adds one NEW measurement bug (#13) which you will have to workaround until the next release.

But really, v.01.00.00.03 fixes so many bugs and annoyances (especially the way that the DSO didn't update the display quickly enough in earlier versions) - it's definitely worth the upgrade (even with the new bug).
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 12:58:30 pm by marmad »

Offline XaS

• Contributor
Thank you all for checking, it seems to be solved in 01.00.00.03 indeed. I couldn't find this particular problem in the first post, that's why I asked here. It seems like this wasn't discovered so far.

@marmad: Yes, #13 is a bummer. But as far as I know it is also possible to downgrade if it gets too annoying, right? Also, if you could check your email if you've got a minute to spare...  ;)

XaS

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Thank you all for checking, it seems to be solved in 01.00.00.03 indeed. I couldn't find this particular problem in the first post, that's why I asked here. It seems like this wasn't discovered so far.

@marmad: Yes, #13 is a bummer. But as far as I know it is also possible to downgrade if it gets too annoying, right? Also, if you could check your email if you've got a minute to spare...  ;)

XaS
Yes, you can downgrade - and I've sent you email  ;)  But make sure you do upgrading/downgrading via the bootloader, as described in that same post.

Offline XaS

• Contributor
With 00.01.00.00.03, the measurement section reacts now as I wanted it to. Thanks all you guys!  :-+

By the way, I just wanted to install a new, more silent fan. Lifting the sticker was no problem at all, but inside, on the screws holdung the metal case, there is a nasty, thin red film of colour. Any scratches will be obvious. Now I've got to wait for 33 months untill I get a silent DSO...  :'(

XaS

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
By the way, I just wanted to install a new, more silent fan. Lifting the sticker was no problem at all, but inside, on the screws holdung the metal case, there is a nasty, thin red film of colour. Any scratches will be obvious. Now I've got to wait for 33 months untill I get a silent DSO...  :'(

You mean something like loctite? If so, it's easy enough to touch-up if you crack the film, and later need to return the DSO for warranty (since you'd have to put the original fan back as well).
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 01:46:59 pm by marmad »

Offline orbiter

• Frequent Contributor
Or just remove ALL the red stuff :D

Offline XaS

• Contributor
It could easily be Loctite. But it's not on the thread to secure the screw but only on the head itself. To me it looks like its only purpose is to reveal when someone has tampered with the screws. That's why I don't know if it is wise to remove, let alone possible to remove it completely. Finally I got a device with 36 months warranty and now I can't wait until its over....  ;D

XaS

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
It could easily be Loctite. But it's not on the thread to secure the screw but only on the head itself. To me it looks like its only purpose is to reveal when someone has tampered with the screws. That's why I don't know if it is wise to remove, let alone possible to remove it completely. Finally I got a device with 36 months warranty and now I can't wait until its over....  ;D

Loctite (or something similar) is often applied under and over the head (as opposed to the threads). Nothing suspicious about it like that - I've seen it many many times.

Offline XaS

• Contributor
I had a closer look on this red loctite. Its not solvable in anything I have here (Ethanol, Methanol, rubbing alcohol, lighter fluid etc.). So from my point of view there is no way to get rid of it, hence not possible to open the DSO further without them clearly noticing it when looking for intrusion marks. Perhaps they reacted with this on the newer models because of the sticker removal procedure getting known.

XaS

Offline ve7xen

• Super Contributor
    • VE7XEN Blog
I noticed it, but didn't think it was a bug. Since turning measurements on/off is so unergonomic I just thought it was expected behaviour. Nice to see they fixed it, I hadn't noticed yet.

I'd still prefer pressing a measurement that already exists to toggle it off and not give a useless error on screen, going into the measure menu is cumbersome when they've got a dedicated always-present menu just for measurements.
73 de VE7XEN
He/Him

Ruben57

I’ve encountered a problem with my DS4024 which is similar to problems people have had with their DS2000 series. After reading through this thread (79 pages!) I found out why my trial options disappeared overnight (I did a self calibration :palm:). Anyhow, I  ‘understand’  the situation on the DS2000 series but I was wondering if there was something similar for the DS4000 series? I have looked around but can't find it anywhere.

Also, I found a minor bug with the DS4024 and was wondering if that bug was present on the DS2000 series as well, since they appear to share a similar platform. Paul Price started a thread in the General Chat section and I detailed the bug in that thread, so rather than repeating it here you can read it there.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/rigol-ds4024-sweep-behavior/15/

There is also an odd display characteristic on the DS4024, which is detailed in that thread. Does the DS2000 series also behave like that?

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
I’ve encountered a problem with my DS4024 which is similar to problems people have had with their DS2000 series. After reading through this thread (79 pages!) I found out why my trial options disappeared overnight (I did a self calibration :palm:). Anyhow, I  ‘understand’  the situation on the DS2000 series but I was wondering if there was something similar for the DS4000 series? I have looked around but can't find it anywhere.
I don't know about this - I haven't heard anything one way or the other.

Also, I found a minor bug with the DS4024 and was wondering if that bug was present on the DS2000 series as well, since they appear to share a similar platform. Paul Price started a thread in the General Chat section and I detailed the bug in that thread, so rather than repeating it here you can read it there.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/rigol-ds4024-sweep-behavior/15/
I just tested at 200ms/div, trigger position at 1.414s (see attached image) - no problem.

There is also an odd display characteristic on the DS4024, which is detailed in that thread. Does the DS2000 series also behave like that?
Yes, the DS2000 does the same, but it's clear to me what Rigol are doing. It has to do with intensity grading/persistence: extend the 'Display' menu, and watch the 'PersistTime' selection when you switch from 100ms -> 200ms - it grays out - meaning it's no longer active above 100ms. At <= 100ms/div, the Rigol is capturing full screens of data so that they can be combined into the intensity/persistence map (impossible to do when 'rolling'). Whether you like this behavior or not is a question of preference, but that appears to be why they're doing it.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 11:15:42 am by marmad »

Offline jamesb

• Regular Contributor
I just recently received my DS2202 and I'm loving it so far!
Thanks for all of the information in this thread - at well over 70 pages, it seems I've got some reading to do :)

When I first bought the scope, I (not knowing any better) did a self-calibration but somehow did not lose the trial licenses. I'll be sure to check what firmware version I've got but my suspicions are that it is the 01.00.00.05 version.

Man .. what a difference from my dying Tek 465 !! This thing is simply unbelievable!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 01:05:51 pm by jamesb »

Offline mklimasz

Hello

This is my first post in this blog, so if I miss something or misread the (lenghty) thread then please just point me to the right source. I have found some posts regarding the subject of my interest, but found no definite answer to my questions... In particular: Will that scope fit into the job?

I'm planning to buy a scope (DS2072?) for hunting signal instabilities (phase shifts, glitches) in AVR applications. Having said that, the primary signal sources would be non-periodic transmission bursts, carried directly between peripherals or via serial line buffers & cables, of a carrier certainly not more than 10MHz (with possible extension towards 20MHz in the future). I expect these to be pretty stable (as I've taken every effort possible while designing the circuits, and also keeping the transmission rates sane) but want to make sure what's really happening and how far from instability the circuits are. I'm wondering (as already stated above) if that scope would fit in. I already asked the distributor (I live in Poland) to setup the test bench to check how capable in glitches-hunting the scope really is (signals of before-mentioned nature, testing for min pulse duration that would be consistently recognized as problem / triggered properly; also testing under which settings the detection would run best (wfs/s), and: how much amplitude / main waveform placement of the glitch is enough to get through triggering routine). Real life experience, however, may render different results, and that's why I'm interested in getting an independent opinion.

At the moment I think the most effective would be to trigger the scope whenever a pulse below certain duration is detected (while I can evaluate what to expect on the signal lines based on transmission parameters / clock of the core used), however that's the second question I'd like Your opinion about: Would that be a proper way of triggering, or my idea is not correct?

I'd really appreciate Your point of view, as I'd like to spend on a scope wisely (and, most preferably, only once). It may equally show that Rigol is enough or that I should still save more to get the right scope for the purpose...

Kind regards,
Michal

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf