Author Topic: Fluke 116 multimeter - hidden modes  (Read 201 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline hexbusTopic starter

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 12
  • Country: us
Fluke 116 multimeter - hidden modes
« on: September 24, 2026, 08:00:04 pm »
I saw this post here and saw the same P2 serial jumper on my main board and figured I'd investigate...
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/what_s-going-on-with-my-fluke-117-meter/msg1207154/#msg1207154
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hacking-the-fluke-117-dmm/

  • Holding down HOLD and turning the knob to AUTO-V (LoZ) displays FCTY, flashes the backlight [shared with serial], and appears to send data out the serial port P2
  • Holding down HOLD and turning the knob to Volts DC shows "1.02" which is I'm guessing the firmware revision of the meter
  • Holding down HOLD and turning the knob to mV (AC/DC) shows "F116" which is the model
  • Holding down HOLD and turning the knob to Ohms shows "CAL" which is calibration.  If you press the light button, you will see "n001" likely which is probably because it's been calibrated once.  (Turn it back off from here.  If you press the light button twice, you will see a prompt for the calibration password.  You can screw this up - but if you really want to know:  https://media.fluke.com/65244ea8-3346-478e-8a31-b10800c0e534_original%20file.pdf )
    • Holding down HOLD and turning the knob to Continuity displays FCTY, flashes the backlight [shared with serial], and appears to send data out the serial port P2

    Still don't know the serial protocol, but I do plan on hooking the pins up to a scope while measuring continuity or a small voltage <3V (which apparently is the only thing you can monitor that I've found shortcuts.)

    Anyone else have tips and tricks that they've learned about their meters?  I really wonder if they put hardware in these things and firmware cripple them to sell more expensive hardware.  Wouldn't put it past them.


 


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->