Author Topic: Hacking the Rigol MSO5000 - Dr Mefisto Licensing Method  (Read 65610 times)

0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline BTOTopic starter

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 655
  • Country: au
Re: Hacking the Rigol MSO5000 - Dr Mefisto Licensing Method
« Reply #100 on: July 17, 2024, 06:24:08 pm »
ANY QUESTIONS ?

 8) At least not at this very moment! Your dedication is awesome, a thousand thanks go out to you for these answers!

I've found the BACKUP DUMP reference in STEP 8 of the PDF, and I'll work further with your latest post and the PDF to understand more of all this. And then I'll be watching the 13 videos you've prepared  :-+

The PDF HAS BEEN UPDATED....
I have attached the updated version for you , Discard the old one.


Quote
At least not at this very moment!
- Cool

Quote
Your dedication is awesome, a thousand thanks go out to you for these answers!
- You're welcome, it's not a problem, I Enjoy doing this .

Quote
I've found the BACKUP DUMP reference in STEP 8 of the PDF,
- it's actually STEP 6,  STEP 7  and STEP 8 Combined,   Don't just skip to Step 8

Quote
and I'll work further with your latest post and the PDF to understand more of all this.
- No Problem, In your own time.

Quote
And then I'll be watching the 13 videos you've prepared  :-+
- Cool, i hope you enjoy them, there's a lot of cool stuff there about your scope, and there's some useful electronics troubleshooting as well,
  Real world practical examples on how to use your scope when measuring things, Timings, Calculating inductor values and things as such.

if you have any questions, Ask me !

Be cool


QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!
 

Offline BTOTopic starter

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 655
  • Country: au
Re: Hacking the Rigol MSO5000 - Dr Mefisto Licensing Method
« Reply #101 on: August 05, 2024, 12:40:10 pm »
QUICK UPDATE

PAGE 1 POST OF THIS THREAD HAS BEEN UPDATED

- To Reflect The Correct CURRENT procedure for Correct Licensing of the scope
- To make obsolete the "Hacking Method" that does not survive firmware upgrade - it is still useable, Just not advised
- Firmware File has been upgraded to the latest 2.10b version
- Firmware and instructional pdf has been added to the attachment on post 1
- All outdated steps have been striked out







QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!
 

Offline sdouble

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 327
  • Country: fr
Re: Hacking the Rigol MSO5000 - Dr Mefisto Licensing Method
« Reply #102 on: August 09, 2024, 05:54:56 am »
I would like to thanks all of you guys for the effort you put into that work.
I ordered some MSO5074s and plan to upgrade them.
A stupid question though  :-[ : is the router absolutely needed ? A direct ethernet connection would not work ?
Best
 

Offline BTOTopic starter

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 655
  • Country: au
Re: Hacking the Rigol MSO5000 - Dr Mefisto Licensing Method
« Reply #103 on: August 09, 2024, 06:24:48 am »
I would like to thanks all of you guys for the effort you put into that work.
I ordered some MSO5074s and plan to upgrade them.
A stupid question though  :-[ : is the router absolutely needed ? A direct ethernet connection would not work ?
Best

Quote
I would like to thanks all of you guys for the effort you put into that work.
- You're Welcome, Much appreciated

Quote
I ordered some MSO5074s and plan to upgrade them.
- Cool

Quote
A stupid question though
- THERE ARE NO STUPID QUESTIONS....
well... I mean... LOL
Unless you ask then i repeat then you ask and i repeat and we do that 15times
That would be stupid  :-DD
But.... As you were  LOL

Quote
is the router absolutely needed ? A direct ethernet connection would not work ?
This is a catch-22 question and answer.
You see (Before i give you the answer)...
What you're talking about required a "Cross over Cable" which works on a Peer To Peer Topology.
This is basics of Networking.
Now.. if you were familiar with the basics of Networking YOU WOULDN'T BE ASKING THIS QUESTION.

If you were familiar with Crossover Cables and the OSI Model, this question wouldn't exist

SO FOR YOU
FOR THE SAKE OF NOT BRICKING YOUR SCOPE
FOR THE SAKE OF STUPID CRAP NOT HAPPENING

MY OFFICIAL POSITION IS............ YES FOR YOU A ROUTER IS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY
The I.P. Address is required, Because of how the script works.

INTERNET CONNECTION HOWEVER... IS NOT REQUIRED
So, to be clear, You can pull some shitty router out of the garage and all you need is
ROUTER
POWER SUPPLY
ETHERNET CABLE
Router cannot be in Bridge mode (Must be in Router Mode with DHCP Enabled)

But, Internet is not required
LAN Connection is required,   don't go down the WiFi Road

You can find routers on gumtree for Free if you don't have one, but i'd be asking...
How the hell are you on this forum if you don't have a router ?

Hope that helps
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!
 

Offline sdouble

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 327
  • Country: fr
Re: Hacking the Rigol MSO5000 - Dr Mefisto Licensing Method
« Reply #104 on: August 09, 2024, 08:18:20 am »
Dear BTO,

Thanks for your thorough response.
As you kindly noted, my experience with networking is limited. I frequently use high speed ethernet switches to connect various equipment (including relatively fast digitizers), but clearly, network technology is far from my area of expertise (which is primarily experimental nuclear physics).
Is it a problem if I don't have a internet connection ?
Don't jump on me, just kidding.
I mentioned that fact that i'll be getting MSO5074s very soon. Actually I'll get a set of 4 with the current option bundle at work.
Big lab, no available router there. Or, to be more precise, not allowed to connect to any of the routers there.
I may bring a router from home for the very purpose of upgrading the scopes though.
 

Offline BTOTopic starter

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 655
  • Country: au
Re: Hacking the Rigol MSO5000 - Dr Mefisto Licensing Method
« Reply #105 on: August 09, 2024, 01:43:08 pm »
Dear BTO,

Thanks for your thorough response.
As you kindly noted, my experience with networking is limited. I frequently use high speed ethernet switches to connect various equipment (including relatively fast digitizers), but clearly, network technology is far from my area of expertise (which is primarily experimental nuclear physics).
Is it a problem if I don't have a internet connection ?
Don't jump on me, just kidding.
I mentioned that fact that i'll be getting MSO5074s very soon. Actually I'll get a set of 4 with the current option bundle at work.
Big lab, no available router there. Or, to be more precise, not allowed to connect to any of the routers there.
I may bring a router from home for the very purpose of upgrading the scopes though.

Quote
Thanks for your thorough response.
- You're Welcome

Quote
As you kindly noted, my experience with networking is limited.
- Indeed, and i assure you the comment was made with all the best intentions :P

Quote
I frequently use high speed ethernet switches to connect various equipment (including relatively fast digitizers), but clearly, network technology is far from my area of expertise
- Fair enough, we all start somewhere

Quote
(which is primarily experimental nuclear physics).
- Soooo.... You're saying..... You don't really have that much experience   :-DD

Quote
Is it a problem if I don't have a internet connection ?
- if it's a question pertaining to activating your scope......NO PROBLEM AT ALL, NOT IN THE SLIGHTEST

Quote
Don't jump on me, just kidding.
- I was going to applaud you for learning  :clap:

Quote
I mentioned that fact that i'll be getting MSO5074s very soon. Actually I'll get a set of 4 with the current option bundle at work.
Big lab, no available router there. Or, to be more precise, not allowed to connect to any of the routers there.
- OK,  AND... OSCILLOSCOPES ARE NOT ALLLOWED TO BE HACKED...........................................WHAT'S YOUR POINT  :-DD

2. If you merely connect to the ethernet port , WHO'S GONNA KNOW and... What if you do , You literally need to be connected for 2 - 5mins
    If i were you, i'd connect and upgrade it like you stole it

3. if you must wimp out and "FOLLOW THE ROOLZ" then... Yes you can bring a router from home,
   After all it just needs power and ethernet cable.   No internet required.
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!
 

Offline sdouble

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 327
  • Country: fr
Re: Hacking the Rigol MSO5000 - Dr Mefisto Licensing Method
« Reply #106 on: August 09, 2024, 01:58:41 pm »


Quote
I frequently use high speed ethernet switches to connect various equipment (including relatively fast digitizers), but clearly, network technology is far from my area of expertise
- Fair enough, we all start somewhere

Quote
(which is primarily experimental nuclear physics).
- Soooo.... You're saying..... You don't really have that much experience   :-DD

==>>  ^-^ I would love to be less "experienced"

Quote
OK,  AND... OSCILLOSCOPES ARE NOT ALLLOWED TO BE HACKED...........................................WHAT'S YOUR POINT  :-DD
==>> Yep, being in the grey  zone I guess....
Quote

2. If you merely connect to the ethernet port , WHO'S GONNA KNOW and... What if you do , You literally need to be connected for 2 - 5mins
    If i were you, i'd connect and upgrade it like you stole it

==>> I caught you being very wrong here. I would not do that knowing , that I don't want to be fired within hours... My lab is pretty closed...
Quote

3. if you must wimp out and "FOLLOW THE ROOLZ" then... Yes you can bring a router from home,
   After all it just needs power and ethernet cable.   No internet required.

==>> No internet required, for sure  ;D
 

Offline BTOTopic starter

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 655
  • Country: au
Re: Hacking the Rigol MSO5000 - Dr Mefisto Licensing Method
« Reply #107 on: August 10, 2024, 12:35:18 am »


Quote
I frequently use high speed ethernet switches to connect various equipment (including relatively fast digitizers), but clearly, network technology is far from my area of expertise
- Fair enough, we all start somewhere

Quote
(which is primarily experimental nuclear physics).
- Soooo.... You're saying..... You don't really have that much experience   :-DD

==>>  ^-^ I would love to be less "experienced"

Quote
OK,  AND... OSCILLOSCOPES ARE NOT ALLLOWED TO BE HACKED...........................................WHAT'S YOUR POINT  :-DD
==>> Yep, being in the grey  zone I guess....
Quote

2. If you merely connect to the ethernet port , WHO'S GONNA KNOW and... What if you do , You literally need to be connected for 2 - 5mins
    If i were you, i'd connect and upgrade it like you stole it

==>> I caught you being very wrong here. I would not do that knowing , that I don't want to be fired within hours... My lab is pretty closed...
Quote

3. if you must wimp out and "FOLLOW THE ROOLZ" then... Yes you can bring a router from home,
   After all it just needs power and ethernet cable.   No internet required.

==>> No internet required, for sure  ;D

Quote
==>>  ^-^ I would love to be less "experienced"
I Understand what you mean

Quote
==>> Yep, being in the grey  zone I guess....
Fair enough

Quote
==>> I caught you being very wrong here. I would not do that knowing , that I don't want to be fired within hours... My lab is pretty closed...

ahh yes, the corporate grip on the employee   LOL
You gotta love the world we live in don't ya
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!
 

Offline Ralfyny

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 1
  • Country: us
Re: Hacking the Rigol MSO5000 - Dr Mefisto Licensing Method
« Reply #108 on: October 12, 2024, 12:02:22 pm »
MSO5074, Worked like a charm, initially started with the network / python version. Then opened up the PDF, took about 20 minutes after that. Used a 2Gb thumb drive from 12 years ago. In the end works perfectly… almost no computer skills required…
Date 10/12/2024
 

Offline el314

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 4
  • Country: ee
Re: Hacking the Rigol MSO5000 - Dr Mefisto Licensing Method
« Reply #109 on: October 13, 2024, 05:18:27 am »
Hello,
I don't understand where lies the problem.
My python setup is ok, all the modules are ok as well.
I'm on the MacOS Swquoia 15.0
py --version
Python 3.11.2

-h argument works well, but the -i doesn't

I have problems running the script:
py Rigol_MSO_LicensingUtility_2.10b.py –i 192.168.1.89
usage: Rigol_MSO_LicensingUtility_2.10b.py [-h] [-d] (-i | -e | -r | -a | -f | -p | -u | --reboot | --cfram-file rigol_fram_XXXXXXXXXXXX.data) [-k {1,2}] [-m MSO5074] [-s MS5A123456789] [-o AUTO,AERO,AUDIO]
                                           [--sys-vendor-file rigol_vendor_XXXXXXXXXXXX.data] [--no-reboot] [--with-config] [--no-color]
                                           ip_addr
Rigol_MSO_LicensingUtility_2.10b.py: error: one of the arguments -i/--info -e/--ssh -r/--regen -a/--activate -f/--save-fram -p/--save-pk -u/--uninstall --reboot --cfram-file is required
 

Offline serguletti

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 1
  • Country: ru
Re: Hacking the Rigol MSO5000 - Dr Mefisto Licensing Method
« Reply #110 on: October 22, 2024, 05:51:00 pm »
Hello!
Thank you for your work. Successfully updated my MSO5072 according to your instructions. Used the PyCharm terminal on MacOS with downgraded to V 1.3.2.2 and updated to V 1.3.3.0. I can't find what is included in self test ( 3 test ) ? Is this Key, Screen, Touch test? Thanks again.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2024, 06:37:33 pm by serguletti »
 

Offline BTOTopic starter

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 655
  • Country: au
Re: Hacking the Rigol MSO5000 - Dr Mefisto Licensing Method
« Reply #111 on: October 29, 2024, 04:08:34 pm »
Hello!
Thank you for your work. Successfully updated my MSO5072 according to your instructions. Used the PyCharm terminal on MacOS with downgraded to V 1.3.2.2 and updated to V 1.3.3.0. I can't find what is included in self test ( 3 test ) ? Is this Key, Screen, Touch test? Thanks again.

Correct, the 3 tests are  Key tests, Screen Colours, Touch Test
and do a self calibration
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!
 

Offline BTOTopic starter

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 655
  • Country: au
Re: Hacking the Rigol MSO5000 - Dr Mefisto Licensing Method
« Reply #112 on: October 29, 2024, 04:11:49 pm »
Hello,
I don't understand where lies the problem.
My python setup is ok, all the modules are ok as well.
I'm on the MacOS Swquoia 15.0
py --version
Python 3.11.2

-h argument works well, but the -i doesn't

I have problems running the script:
py Rigol_MSO_LicensingUtility_2.10b.py –i 192.168.1.89
usage: Rigol_MSO_LicensingUtility_2.10b.py [-h] [-d] (-i | -e | -r | -a | -f | -p | -u | --reboot | --cfram-file rigol_fram_XXXXXXXXXXXX.data) [-k {1,2}] [-m MSO5074] [-s MS5A123456789] [-o AUTO,AERO,AUDIO]
                                           [--sys-vendor-file rigol_vendor_XXXXXXXXXXXX.data] [--no-reboot] [--with-config] [--no-color]
                                           ip_addr
Rigol_MSO_LicensingUtility_2.10b.py: error: one of the arguments -i/--info -e/--ssh -r/--regen -a/--activate -f/--save-fram -p/--save-pk -u/--uninstall --reboot --cfram-file is required


If you are not successfully executing the -i switch then you have a networking issue.
Mac is notorious for security and blocking things

if you can't -i then it's likely it won't activate either
i would suggest checking the security features of your mac and the network as something is blocking the python program

did you also install python as per the instructions i gave in the pdf or did you already have it installed ?
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!
 

Offline rteodor

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 492
  • Country: ro
Re: Hacking the Rigol MSO5000 - Dr Mefisto Licensing Method
« Reply #113 on: October 29, 2024, 04:18:37 pm »
Hello,
I don't understand where lies the problem.
My python setup is ok, all the modules are ok as well.
I'm on the MacOS Swquoia 15.0
py --version
Python 3.11.2

-h argument works well, but the -i doesn't

I have problems running the script:
py Rigol_MSO_LicensingUtility_2.10b.py –i 192.168.1.89
usage: Rigol_MSO_LicensingUtility_2.10b.py [-h] [-d] (-i | -e | -r | -a | -f | -p | -u | --reboot | --cfram-file rigol_fram_XXXXXXXXXXXX.data) [-k {1,2}] [-m MSO5074] [-s MS5A123456789] [-o AUTO,AERO,AUDIO]
                                           [--sys-vendor-file rigol_vendor_XXXXXXXXXXXX.data] [--no-reboot] [--with-config] [--no-color]
                                           ip_addr
Rigol_MSO_LicensingUtility_2.10b.py: error: one of the arguments -i/--info -e/--ssh -r/--regen -a/--activate -f/--save-fram -p/--save-pk -u/--uninstall --reboot --cfram-file is required


If you are not successfully executing the -i switch then you have a networking issue.
Mac is notorious for security and blocking things

if you can't -i then it's likely it won't activate either
i would suggest checking the security features of your mac and the network as something is blocking the python program

did you also install python as per the instructions i gave in the pdf or did you already have it installed ?

The problem is that the "minus" sign is not realy minus but a Uicode char. Just replace it.
 
The following users thanked this post: Kean, Sergey Astakhov

Offline BTOTopic starter

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 655
  • Country: au
Re: Hacking the Rigol MSO5000 - Dr Mefisto Licensing Method
« Reply #114 on: October 29, 2024, 11:16:39 pm »
Hello,
I don't understand where lies the problem.
My python setup is ok, all the modules are ok as well.
I'm on the MacOS Swquoia 15.0
py --version
Python 3.11.2

-h argument works well, but the -i doesn't

I have problems running the script:
py Rigol_MSO_LicensingUtility_2.10b.py –i 192.168.1.89
usage: Rigol_MSO_LicensingUtility_2.10b.py [-h] [-d] (-i | -e | -r | -a | -f | -p | -u | --reboot | --cfram-file rigol_fram_XXXXXXXXXXXX.data) [-k {1,2}] [-m MSO5074] [-s MS5A123456789] [-o AUTO,AERO,AUDIO]
                                           [--sys-vendor-file rigol_vendor_XXXXXXXXXXXX.data] [--no-reboot] [--with-config] [--no-color]
                                           ip_addr
Rigol_MSO_LicensingUtility_2.10b.py: error: one of the arguments -i/--info -e/--ssh -r/--regen -a/--activate -f/--save-fram -p/--save-pk -u/--uninstall --reboot --cfram-file is required


If you are not successfully executing the -i switch then you have a networking issue.
Mac is notorious for security and blocking things

if you can't -i then it's likely it won't activate either
i would suggest checking the security features of your mac and the network as something is blocking the python program

did you also install python as per the instructions i gave in the pdf or did you already have it installed ?

The problem is that the "minus" sign is not realy minus but a Uicode char. Just replace it.

OK, if you want to do that then
the problem is that the Unicode char is not really a Unicode Char but a sequence of electrical impulses turning on or off

The switch doesn't need to be changed, it has been tested and worked for hundreds of people thus far.
There is a problem on your end , which is why you can't even bring up the information table
as i said... Mac is notorious for blocking things as a result of it's security
and also i would check the networking.
Did you follow the instructions in the pdf or not ?
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!
 

Offline rteodor

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 492
  • Country: ro
Re: Hacking the Rigol MSO5000 - Dr Mefisto Licensing Method
« Reply #115 on: October 30, 2024, 06:53:08 am »
I mean the problem is in el314 command and not in the script. "–i" is not the same as "-i" even if some fonts make it look the same.
I won't look up what unicode chars are each. Its not worth that effort.
 
The following users thanked this post: Kean

Offline BTOTopic starter

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 655
  • Country: au
Re: Hacking the Rigol MSO5000 - Dr Mefisto Licensing Method
« Reply #116 on: October 30, 2024, 01:15:20 pm »
I mean the problem is in el314 command and not in the script. "–i" is not the same as "-i" even if some fonts make it look the same.
I won't look up what unicode chars are each. Its not worth that effort.
I didn't ask you to look all that up, But i still don't understand your problem

1. What is el314

2. if the problem is in this el314 thing and not in the script then.. that's good

3. You're simply just supposed to
Install Python
Get the script
Open a terminal
Call the python interpreter to run the script

what part of this are you not doing ?
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!
 

Offline Kean

  • Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 3538
  • Country: au
    • Kean Electronics
Re: Hacking the Rigol MSO5000 - Dr Mefisto Licensing Method
« Reply #117 on: October 30, 2024, 01:26:44 pm »
I copied and pasted the "-i" text from the error posted by user el314 into a text editor, and looked at it in hex view

A minus sign is 0x2D in ASCII
The long-dash/hyphen in the command/error posted by el314 is utf-8 0xE28093 - this is a unicode en-dash https://decodeunicode.org/en/u+2013
Thus it is not properly recognised by python command parsing

This is a common issue when copy/pasting command lines from a word processing document (or PDF created from one) as the word processor "helpfully" converts to nice unicode symbols.
Other than minus/hyphen symbols, it often also happens to double quotes - changing to unicode opening and closing quotes.

BTO, you need to spend more time reading/comprehending posts and less time replying.  Please... as you are someone who talks about others disrespect...
« Last Edit: October 30, 2024, 01:28:46 pm by Kean »
 
The following users thanked this post: Sergey Astakhov, rteodor

Offline BTOTopic starter

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 655
  • Country: au
Re: Hacking the Rigol MSO5000 - Dr Mefisto Licensing Method
« Reply #118 on: October 31, 2024, 12:01:13 am »
I copied and pasted the "-i" text from the error posted by user el314 into a text editor, and looked at it in hex view

A minus sign is 0x2D in ASCII
The long-dash/hyphen in the command/error posted by el314 is utf-8 0xE28093 - this is a unicode en-dash https://decodeunicode.org/en/u+2013
Thus it is not properly recognised by python command parsing

This is a common issue when copy/pasting command lines from a word processing document (or PDF created from one) as the word processor "helpfully" converts to nice unicode symbols.
Other than minus/hyphen symbols, it often also happens to double quotes - changing to unicode opening and closing quotes.

BTO, you need to spend more time reading/comprehending posts and less time replying.  Please... as you are someone who talks about others disrespect...

Ok mate
1. thanks for clarifying that el314 is a user on the forum

2. so the beginner doesn't know , then, if he is copying and pasting from a word doc that they need to copy and paste that into a text document
    to remove the formatting that word docs add.   OK

3. At the end of the day ... HUNDREDS of people have activated and unlocked their scopes, Experts, Beginners , all of them.  Not 1 has had this problem.
    so we need to ask, what is this user doing different that everyone else did not do ?
    Also if the problem is with copy and paste, why then don't they just enter the command manually.

it's still unclear why this issue is happening with this user, I mean, i want to help this person but they are not being clear,
i asked them did they follow the PDF i supplied, that was asked twice, i still have no received an answer to that question so that i could then ask them
at what step they stuffed up at.

This isn't rocket science mate, They just need a terminal and python and to enter the command and run the script.
so why is it happening to this one user and not everyone else, do you think ?

as for the rest of your advice, i'll take it onboard, but sometimes (just as you are busy with work) I don't have a lot of time to read through all the comments,
sometimes i grab a coffee and do have the time and other times i can only respond quickly.  the last few times were a quick response.

but again, it's just the running of a script.  why are they struggling with it ?

so the question at the end of the day is... HOW DO WE GET THIS  BEGINNER USER ACTIVATED ?
What are your thoughts ?
i'm thinking they should try and jump on another computer, Possibly a windows based system and just use cmd or powershell
even though people have activated via Mac, they tend to have issues, but they did get there in the end.
But this guy is having an issue that no one else had.

what are your thoughts ?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2024, 12:04:23 am by BTO »
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!
 

Offline Kean

  • Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 3538
  • Country: au
    • Kean Electronics
Re: Hacking the Rigol MSO5000 - Dr Mefisto Licensing Method
« Reply #119 on: October 31, 2024, 10:48:56 pm »
so we need to ask, what is this user doing different that everyone else did not do ?

The problem is that it is visually hard to spot, and the programs/scripts don't give helpful errors when parsing unicode parameters.
I haven't checked, but I suspect this (unicode paste) may be more of an issue on Linux and Mac terminal than Windows command line.

I know I've seen this issue on Linux when writing up documents with step-by-step instructions for clients.  I make an effort to revert any changes that Word makes to quote and hyphen symbols so that copy/paste still works.

Edit to add: Also, for short commands not everyone will use copy & paste.  And I suspect some users when they get an error, will try again by manually retyping the command, not knowing about command history.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2024, 10:53:11 pm by Kean »
 

Offline BTOTopic starter

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 655
  • Country: au
Re: Hacking the Rigol MSO5000 - Dr Mefisto Licensing Method
« Reply #120 on: November 01, 2024, 12:33:56 am »
so we need to ask, what is this user doing different that everyone else did not do ?

The problem is that it is visually hard to spot, and the programs/scripts don't give helpful errors when parsing unicode parameters.
I haven't checked, but I suspect this (unicode paste) may be more of an issue on Linux and Mac terminal than Windows command line.

I know I've seen this issue on Linux when writing up documents with step-by-step instructions for clients.  I make an effort to revert any changes that Word makes to quote and hyphen symbols so that copy/paste still works.

Edit to add: Also, for short commands not everyone will use copy & paste.  And I suspect some users when they get an error, will try again by manually retyping the command, not knowing about command history.

Quote
The problem is that it is visually hard to spot, and the programs/scripts don't give helpful errors when parsing unicode parameters.
I haven't checked, but I suspect this (unicode paste) may be more of an issue on Linux and Mac terminal than Windows command line.
- OK so it appears to be a thing with Terminal. I suspected it had to be something like that. Although other mac users have not had the same issue.
  I guess.. is there another terminal they could download and use in place of Terminal, Perhaps if they used a windows based terminal in Wine or something.
  I know wine isn't the most reliable thing but hey if it'll get past this step perhaps it's a viable option.

Quote
I know I've seen this issue on Linux when writing up documents with step-by-step instructions for clients.  I make an effort to revert any changes that Word makes to quote and hyphen symbols so that copy/paste still works.
- I make an effort whenever copying things from word to put it in a text editor like Notepad or Notepad++ before pasting

Quote
Edit to add: Also, for short commands not everyone will use copy & paste.  And I suspect some users when they get an error, will try again by manually retyping the command, not knowing about command history.

-  I Agree
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!
 

Offline BTOTopic starter

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 655
  • Country: au
Re: Hacking the Rigol MSO5000 - Dr Mefisto Licensing Method
« Reply #121 on: November 01, 2024, 12:35:53 am »
I mean the problem is in el314 command and not in the script. "–i" is not the same as "-i" even if some fonts make it look the same.
I won't look up what unicode chars are each. Its not worth that effort.

Hi mate, so if the problem is Mac Terminal
Are you able to jump onto a windows system just for the sake of activating your scope
or.. Perhaps are you able to utilize Wine or another terminal, At the end of the day we just need to get past this command don't we ?
If you can issue the command correctly then your scope will be activated

what are your thoughts on this?
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!
 

Offline rteodor

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 492
  • Country: ro
Re: Hacking the Rigol MSO5000 - Dr Mefisto Licensing Method
« Reply #122 on: November 01, 2024, 08:59:20 am »
Quote
The problem is that it is visually hard to spot, and the programs/scripts don't give helpful errors when parsing unicode parameters.
I haven't checked, but I suspect this (unicode paste) may be more of an issue on Linux and Mac terminal than Windows command line.
- OK so it appears to be a thing with Terminal. I suspected it had to be something like that. Although other mac users have not had the same issue.
  I guess.. is there another terminal they could download and use in place of Terminal, Perhaps if they used a windows based terminal in Wine or something.
  I know wine isn't the most reliable thing but hey if it'll get past this step perhaps it's a viable option.

Quote
I know I've seen this issue on Linux when writing up documents with step-by-step instructions for clients.  I make an effort to revert any changes that Word makes to quote and hyphen symbols so that copy/paste still works.
- I make an effort whenever copying things from word to put it in a text editor like Notepad or Notepad++ before pasting

The user el314 might have copied the command from your pdf, page 14 step 13.
There is a simple fix for this but it requires discipline from the documentation producer: use a proper font/text style for commands and code snippets.
MS Word 2010 that produced that pdf has, if I remember correctly, such style already defined with a monospace font. It is practical and aesthetically pleasing and avoids that dreaded "helpful flufishness" entirely.

As for me I am not unlocking any scope. Just noticed the error in a moment of procrastination.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2024, 09:01:06 am by rteodor »
 

Offline BTOTopic starter

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 655
  • Country: au
Re: Hacking the Rigol MSO5000 - Dr Mefisto Licensing Method
« Reply #123 on: November 01, 2024, 11:12:20 am »
Quote
The problem is that it is visually hard to spot, and the programs/scripts don't give helpful errors when parsing unicode parameters.
I haven't checked, but I suspect this (unicode paste) may be more of an issue on Linux and Mac terminal than Windows command line.
- OK so it appears to be a thing with Terminal. I suspected it had to be something like that. Although other mac users have not had the same issue.
  I guess.. is there another terminal they could download and use in place of Terminal, Perhaps if they used a windows based terminal in Wine or something.
  I know wine isn't the most reliable thing but hey if it'll get past this step perhaps it's a viable option.

Quote
I know I've seen this issue on Linux when writing up documents with step-by-step instructions for clients.  I make an effort to revert any changes that Word makes to quote and hyphen symbols so that copy/paste still works.
- I make an effort whenever copying things from word to put it in a text editor like Notepad or Notepad++ before pasting

The user el314 might have copied the command from your pdf, page 14 step 13.
There is a simple fix for this but it requires discipline from the documentation producer: use a proper font/text style for commands and code snippets.
MS Word 2010 that produced that pdf has, if I remember correctly, such style already defined with a monospace font. It is practical and aesthetically pleasing and avoids that dreaded "helpful flufishness" entirely.

As for me I am not unlocking any scope. Just noticed the error in a moment of procrastination.

Quote
As for me I am not unlocking any scope. Just noticed the error in a moment of procrastination
OH, ok

Quote
The user el314 might have copied the command from your pdf, page 14 step 13.
Fair enough.. In saying that... Many other users have likely done the same thing and had no issues.

Quote
There is a simple fix for this but it requires discipline from the documentation producer: use a proper font/text style for commands and code snippets.
MS Word 2010 that produced that pdf has, if I remember correctly, such style already defined with a monospace font. It is practical and aesthetically pleasing and avoids that dreaded "helpful flufishness" entirely.

Fair enough, i'll have a look at that and redo it
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!
 

Offline Kean

  • Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 3538
  • Country: au
    • Kean Electronics
Re: Hacking the Rigol MSO5000 - Dr Mefisto Licensing Method
« Reply #124 on: November 02, 2024, 10:48:47 am »
- I make an effort whenever copying things from word to put it in a text editor like Notepad or Notepad++ before pasting

This isn't really a workable solution as even simple text editors these days support (and generally default to) Unicode.  You often have to go out of your way to get plain ASCII, and this can result in data loss as most Unicode symbols have no ASCII equivalent.

FYI, I originally copied and pasted the bad command line posted earlier into Visual Studio Code on Win10 and saved it as a text file.  I could then see the character data as Unicode in hex view, which I posted above.

Just now, I did the same on my Mac using textEdit - the native text editor app on MacOS.  By default it saves in RTF format, but I changed preferences to use plain text.  I then confirmed that it also saved that hyphen/en-dash as Unicode by using the Hex Fiend app.  For some reason Visual Studio Code on Mac isn't displaying anything for me in Hex Editor view.  I can of course also see the hex data using od or xxd command line tools.

As far as I know there is no Notepad++ for Mac.  The equivalent was probably TextWrangler, now replaced by BBEdit, but I don't have those as I have standardized to VS Code across all my machines these days.
 


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->