Author Topic: Hacking the Rigol MSO5000 series oscilloscopes  (Read 932384 times)

apulanta and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline BTO

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Hacking the Rigol MSO5000 series oscilloscopes
« Reply #2775 on: April 09, 2024, 12:44:22 am »
Ok,

I have a 5072 with old firmware 00.01.01.04.08 [Hardware 01.00.000].  Yes it has everything upgraded so its really a 5074.  I'm wondering since it seems I'm old, if I should not just DL from Rigol, and update to 00.01.03.00.03 then patch / update from there...

Anyone with experience have a opinion?

-Stan

In light of your question , i approached rigol with a few questions of my own.
The first being that there are bad spelling errors in the INDEX menu of the scope (things like MARK TABEL that should have been MARK TABLE)
and in the SELF CHECK menu errros like  SIGNLE when it should have been SINGLE) Anyway, that's all put forward to them and hopefull Next firmware update that'll be fixed.

Now regarding the updates,
The release notes are here
https://www.rigolna.com/firmware/
However the Release notes for the MS05000 are complete garble, they are using a different encoding,
they are now aware of this and they will (i imagine in the next day or 2) resolve this issue

I have attached a copy of the release notes that i was provided, in a readable format

but
HERE ARE THE RELEASE NOTES

【Supported Product Models】All models in the MSO5000 series oscilloscopes
【Latest Revision Date】2023/02/22

【Updates】

v00.01.03.03.00 2023/02/22
- Patch for MSO5000 series NAND flash
- Added query instructions for gain and offset settings in function operator AX+B
- Vertical minimum range restored to 500 microvolts

v00.01.03.02.02 2023/01/04
- Added shortcut keys and VNC remote function
- Optimized waveform, cursor movement, gesture operation vertical and horizontal range switching speed
- Cursor optimization: optimized cursor jump situation, ZOOM region and main time base cursor linkage, etc.
- CH4 waveform color modification, waveform brightness enhancement
- ZOOM mode optimization: mask color adjustment, switching speed, region movement optimization
- SCPI command response speed optimization: reset, measurement, waveform read command response optimization

v00.01.03.00.03 2021/10/18
- Optimized waveform display in XY mode
- Optimized DC gain calibration algorithm
- Parallel decoding of LA channels, resolved decoding error issue with negative polarity

v00.01.03.00.01 2020/03/27
- Fixed waveform recording function error when horizontal time base is 10ns/div
- Optimized AUTO function after analog channel zeroing
- Supported dragging MATH waveform icon to move MATH waveform

v00.01.02.00.03 2020/02/27
- Fixed error in reading LA channel memory data with SCPI command

v00.01.02.00.02 2020/02/25
- Optimized startup issue when connecting HDMI
- Optimized vertical range adjustment, channel zeroing error
- Optimized inconsistency in SPI CLK and SDA names
- Optimized square wave display under 2s time base
- Added command to obtain pass/fail count
- Removed default email account and password
- Optimized some issues in remote commands
- Optimized excessive decoding event crash issue

v00.01.01.04.08 2019/08/02
- Fixed crash issue when clicking restore default options
- Fixed inability to activate 4CH option in version 4.4 and later of version 2.3
- Fixed interference signal captured on oscilloscope screen when clicking About Oscilloscope
- Fixed slow refresh of measurement data under large time base
- Fixed lack of update in precise measurement in ROLL mode

v00.01.01.04.04 2019/02/20
- Optimized local firmware version upgrade method.
- Added 12-bit high-resolution mode.
- Extended minimum vertical range to 500uV/div.
- Added SCPI command: MEASure:STATistic:ITEM CNT,<item>[,<src>[,<src>]], used for reading
measurement statistic counts.
- Drawing a rectangle with the touchscreen can zoom in or out the waveform: drawing a rectangle from top left to bottom right enlarges the screen waveform; drawing a rectangle from bottom right to top left reduces the screen waveform.
- Added GND coupling to channel coupling.
- Expanded selectable colors for LA channel waveforms.
- When a new firmware version is detected, a red dot will appear on the online upgrade and other menus as a reminder.
- Fixed waveform not refreshing issue in slow scan mode.
- Optimized startup time to within one minute.
- Optimized responsiveness of touchscreen bottom.
- Reduced waveform baseline noise.
- Fixed decoding error caused by moving waveform.
- Fixed LA channel waveform extension error after sampling stops.
- Fixed issue with SYSTEM:SETUP command not saving and loading settings.

NOW THE QUESTION I HAVE IS.............
If you upgrade straight from 1.1.4.4  to 1.3.3.0   Do you miss the updates of everything that happened in between.
I am awaiting and answer from Rigol on this.

Because certain things like this...

Seem important

and i'm wondering what this is

so yeah, i have some pending answers that i want rigol to answer.  I'll keep you posted
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

The following users thanked this post: Protegimus

Offline Shodge

• Contributor
« Reply #2776 on: April 09, 2024, 05:19:21 am »
Just an update....

Went ahead and followed the process...  No issues.  Fully upgraded and working at v00.01.03.03.00.  Thanks for the advise.

-Stan

Offline BTO

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2777 on: April 09, 2024, 05:31:57 am »
Just an update....

Went ahead and followed the process...  No issues.  Fully upgraded and working at v00.01.03.03.00.  Thanks for the advise.

-Stan
THAT'S AWESOME, Well done

Now go to this link  (which i may have already provided to you, i'm not sure)
https://mega.nz/folder/OsJyFY5A#8uS0fmepgBdNrXqvnxmFfg

which is located here
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/post-hacking-rigol-mso5000-post-hacking-tutorial-deep-dive/

and watch video 2 and Video 4 as a minimum requirement.
so.. After the upgrade you should really do 3 things
SELF CAL
SELF CHECK
SETUP OF THE SCOPE

as for the other 8 or so videos, they are basically a detailed walk through of every feature in your scope.
Also to make sure you did the patch correctly, Go to the Red Button at the bottom right corner of the screen
Do you have 16 icons  or do you have 25 icons ?
if 16 , Patch was not applied correctly
if 25 icons, then, You're all good

ENJOY
« Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 05:34:03 am by BTO »
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

Offline normi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2778 on: April 09, 2024, 02:07:15 pm »
Why not put the videos on YouTube so it can have a wider audience.

Offline reztek

« Reply #2779 on: April 09, 2024, 05:11:36 pm »

My guess is they had to replace the NAND chip for another part and updated the code to deal with the new chip.

Offline BTO

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2780 on: April 09, 2024, 09:12:32 pm »

My guess is they had to replace the NAND chip for another part and updated the code to deal with the new chip.
Possibly,  I didn't think of that.
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

Offline BTO

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2781 on: April 09, 2024, 09:26:11 pm »
Why not put the videos on YouTube so it can have a wider audience.
Hmmm....  You tube huh ?

So.. I have a lot of experience in a lot of different fields, From Electronics to computers to Telecommunications and a slew of other things.
If i did this it'd basically be me starting a you tube channel.

Now a lot of things come to mind when this subject comes up

1. I didn't make these videos for you tube or with you tube in mind, There is a format that you follow when posting video's on you tube
    so that the content seems more appealing

2. Then there is a degree of bullshit that comes with the territory of being a you tube content creator (I've thought about this for a long time)

3. Then there's.. Which category do i target ? Re computers, You have Linus, Before that we have Eli the computer guy and he threw in the towel because it wasn't worth it,  Linus is complaining about the headaches as well,  I have also seen dave complain about it .
I don't see many videos for satellite and N.B.N. Related stuff but then i wonder , what sort of a market is there for that ?
so.. there's that

4. I also don't know how it'll go.  Now some may say, Give it a go, You never know until you try.. YEAH.. IT COSTS TIME AND MONEY TO TRY.
   and risk has to be assessed.

5. if i was to put these up on youtube, i'd want to re record them . The way i've done it here was pretty quick and unscripted, it was more like...
    Here i have a bunch of people contacting me for help on unlocking their scopes, whether it's DS2000A or MSO5000 i've even had a few with
    other weird scopes that i've never heard of .

These videos were a way of saying... Look, I can't stop my business each time someone is having trouble loading a file or is not familiar
    with something so i created some of the videos to help people get through the unlocking process

Then i said to myself.. it's bullshit to pay so much money for a scope and then all you know how to do is pop a waveform on the screen
    and look at it and change the time base.

I FEEL BEGINNERS NEED TO MOVE PAST THAT LEVEL AND GET TO A HIGHER SKILL LEVEL

To get to the point of... Knowing how to use every single function in your scope,  Basically knowingwhat tools are in your toolbox
  and then deciding which you choose to use.  Example : Back when i bought my DS2000A i wasn't even aware that it had a PASS/FAIL Mask.
   when i realized it did, Jeez, I haven't stopped using it.  and Cursors, Well Cursors are invaluable and huge time saver and so simple
   yet most people don't use them, BUT THEY SHOULD

So the video's were created rather informally with the purpose of getting people skilled up and becoming really really familiar with the scope.

I don't know about you tube, I mean... I'm not shy, but i don't think i have the dashing looks of Dave Jones  :-DD
I didn't make these videos with the intent of ... Like, Subscribe, Ring the notification bell... Etc etc    I Just made them !

so... What ?   You think that if i started a channel it'd go well ?   What are your thoughts ?
and before you answer that,   Have you watched any of the videos ? and if so , which one's ?
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

Offline BTO

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2782 on: April 10, 2024, 03:33:31 am »
Ok,

I have a 5072 with old firmware 00.01.01.04.08 [Hardware 01.00.000].  Yes it has everything upgraded so its really a 5074.  I'm wondering since it seems I'm old, if I should not just DL from Rigol, and update to 00.01.03.00.03 then patch / update from there...

Anyone with experience have a opinion?

-Stan

In light of your question , i approached rigol with a few questions of my own.
The first being that there are bad spelling errors in the INDEX menu of the scope (things like MARK TABEL that should have been MARK TABLE)
and in the SELF CHECK menu errros like  SIGNLE when it should have been SINGLE) Anyway, that's all put forward to them and hopefull Next firmware update that'll be fixed.

Now regarding the updates,
The release notes are here
https://www.rigolna.com/firmware/
However the Release notes for the MS05000 are complete garble, they are using a different encoding,
they are now aware of this and they will (i imagine in the next day or 2) resolve this issue

I have attached a copy of the release notes that i was provided, in a readable format

but
HERE ARE THE RELEASE NOTES

【Supported Product Models】All models in the MSO5000 series oscilloscopes
【Latest Revision Date】2023/02/22

【Updates】

- Added query instructions for gain and offset settings in function operator AX+B
- Vertical minimum range restored to 500 microvolts

v00.01.03.02.02 2023/01/04
- Added shortcut keys and VNC remote function
- Optimized waveform, cursor movement, gesture operation vertical and horizontal range switching speed
- Cursor optimization: optimized cursor jump situation, ZOOM region and main time base cursor linkage, etc.
- CH4 waveform color modification, waveform brightness enhancement
- ZOOM mode optimization: mask color adjustment, switching speed, region movement optimization
- SCPI command response speed optimization: reset, measurement, waveform read command response optimization

v00.01.03.00.03 2021/10/18
- Optimized waveform display in XY mode
- Optimized DC gain calibration algorithm
- Parallel decoding of LA channels, resolved decoding error issue with negative polarity

v00.01.03.00.01 2020/03/27
- Fixed waveform recording function error when horizontal time base is 10ns/div
- Optimized AUTO function after analog channel zeroing
- Supported dragging MATH waveform icon to move MATH waveform

v00.01.02.00.03 2020/02/27
- Fixed error in reading LA channel memory data with SCPI command

v00.01.02.00.02 2020/02/25
- Optimized startup issue when connecting HDMI
- Optimized vertical range adjustment, channel zeroing error
- Optimized inconsistency in SPI CLK and SDA names
- Optimized square wave display under 2s time base
- Added command to obtain pass/fail count
- Removed default email account and password
- Optimized some issues in remote commands
- Optimized excessive decoding event crash issue

- Fixed inability to activate 4CH option in version 4.4 and later of version 2.3
- Fixed interference signal captured on oscilloscope screen when clicking About Oscilloscope
- Fixed slow refresh of measurement data under large time base
- Fixed lack of update in precise measurement in ROLL mode

v00.01.01.04.04 2019/02/20
- Optimized local firmware version upgrade method.
- Added 12-bit high-resolution mode.
- Extended minimum vertical range to 500uV/div.
- Added SCPI command: MEASure:STATistic:ITEM CNT,<item>[,<src>[,<src>]], used for reading
measurement statistic counts.
- Drawing a rectangle with the touchscreen can zoom in or out the waveform: drawing a rectangle from top left to bottom right enlarges the screen waveform; drawing a rectangle from bottom right to top left reduces the screen waveform.
- Added GND coupling to channel coupling.
- Expanded selectable colors for LA channel waveforms.
- When a new firmware version is detected, a red dot will appear on the online upgrade and other menus as a reminder.
- Fixed waveform not refreshing issue in slow scan mode.
- Optimized startup time to within one minute.
- Optimized responsiveness of touchscreen bottom.
- Reduced waveform baseline noise.
- Fixed decoding error caused by moving waveform.
- Fixed LA channel waveform extension error after sampling stops.
- Fixed issue with SYSTEM:SETUP command not saving and loading settings.

NOW THE QUESTION I HAVE IS.............
If you upgrade straight from 1.1.4.4  to 1.3.3.0   Do you miss the updates of everything that happened in between.
I am awaiting and answer from Rigol on this.

Because certain things like this...

Seem important

so yeah, i have some pending answers that i want rigol to answer.  I'll keep you posted

FURTHER TO MY PREVIOUS POST ABOVE..............
UPDATE FROM RIGOL :

Point 1 - The Release notes -  They have taken down the old one and loaded a new one,  i can confirm that it works now.

Point 2 - The spelling Mistakes in the scope - Needless to say they are very embarrassed and have apologized,
               their reasoning was that (as we imagine) Different teams are involved at different stages of the process.
              This stage involves people of non english speaking backgrounds (Draw your own conclusions) I can't find the logic in it, but.. ok.

They are taking it seriously (Very seriously , it seems) and they will be fixing it, i imagine in the next firmware update, But
               we don't know when that'll be,   I guess let's just be patient and see

Point 3 - I have confirmation that you can jump from version 1  to version 1.3.3.0 or whatever the latest happens to be when you read this.
              and if you skip version, the latest version will contain all the updates from all the previous version , so it's ok to skip

so all that is being addressed.

A Couple of other points i raised with them

COLOR GRADE -  Turning on this feature slows the scope down to a crawling halt to the point where it's not worth doing.
                           Although even though it's largely wankery, IT WOULD BE AWESOME IF WE COULD ACTUALLY USE THIS FEATURE.
                           They said they are keenly looking into it because they want us to be happy with the features and not have useless features
                           there.  so if i see in future firmware updates  FIXED COLOR GRADE RESPONSE  LOL, That'll be awesome, and that was all me
                           baby,  ALL ME,  Fingers crossed

RE TIME BASE - Our scopes can go as slow as 1,000 sec/Div      Take a moment to absorb the frequency involved here,
                       so on 1 sec /Div it may take 5 seconds to refresh and respond with the change in waveform.
                       that means on 1,000 Sec/Div it will take 5,000 Seconds to respond. that's 83mins or like 1.5 Hours approx.    :-DD

I had a chat and told them.. Who the hell needs this timebase ?  in my opinion, 5sec/Div is more than enough, even push
                       it to 10sec/Div if you want to.  But MAKE THE UPDATE REFRESH RATE FASTER so we are not sitting there all day waiting.

THEY ARE ACTUALLY LOOKING INTO THIS

So. let's see what Rigol comes up with.  that's all that i have for now.
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

Offline thorstormlord

• Contributor
« Reply #2783 on: April 10, 2024, 05:06:58 am »
If these updates are implemented it will be a decent upgrade to the scope we have now. Very good work man. \m/
\m/ Heavy Metal is the Law. \m/

Offline BTO

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2784 on: April 10, 2024, 07:09:23 am »
If these updates are implemented it will be a decent upgrade to the scope we have now. Very good work man. \m/
No Kidding huh !  LOL
Imagine a scope with a slowest timebase of 1,000 Sec/Div  That refreshes in like 500ms to 1sec.
Imagine the memory gets optimized so that the color grade can run in real time with no lag (or very little) while in 200Mpts Mem Depth
and High Resolution Acquisition mode
Now.... that would be freaking awesome,  Even if... to do this they sacrificed the 1,000 Sec/Div feature to allow more memory to be allocated
to color grade, that would still be awesome.
I don't see why anyone needs slower than 5 sec/Div

Now rigol have told me that some people use their scopes for data logging (Now this is weird) because they also said
that is not the scopes intended purpose, but instead you should use a data logger dedicated for this job.

On 1 side it's , that's not the scope intended purpose
on the other side it's,  we put that timebase in there for people who do data logging
 :-//   :palm:   I don't know  LOL

but let's be patient, Let's wait for the next firmware update and i'll keep you guys all posted.
Another intersting thing that will come from this new firmware update will be
Can we just upgrade straight up without losing our features and without applying the patch file ?
I'm willing to bet that we can, Because i upgraded my DS2000A through something like 9 or 11 firmware updates without losing the unlocked
features. i don't see why the MSO5000 would be any different in that respect

My bet is ,
- No further patches or unlocks required
- Just apply further firmware updates as per normal
and that's it

Now i'm happy to be the first to test my scope on the new firmware when the time comes, But i'm really really confident that we won't
have to bother with the patch files,
I'm sure , however that patch files will be created, But i'd like to know if it can be done without them, because it keeps the process simplified.

On the DS2000A series, for the longest time we didn't upgrade OUT OF FEAR THAT WE WOULD LOSE OUR UNLOCKED OPTIONS.
that absolutely is not true.
I would dare say that this rule holds true throughout the entire rigol series and it's now well known that Rigol makes their scopes purposely
hackable,  its' like .... We'll give them a toy to play with but this toy has a hidden toy inside   LOL

and from a Marketing perspective, this is intelligent as it keeps the customer coming back again and again.
by that logic, why would the entire product range of Rigol not work on this concept ?

I'm willing to bet on the next firmware update that we'll just breeze through it, no hack or patch required

BUT.. LET'S WAIT AND SEE
« Last Edit: April 11, 2024, 08:52:46 pm by BTO »
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

Offline thorstormlord

• Contributor
« Reply #2785 on: April 11, 2024, 08:15:35 pm »
Tbh I agree , that's why I was asking if we need the patch again. Frankly , why need the patch since everything is already unlocked a firmware update shouldn't bother with licences and stuff.
So let's wait and see
\m/ Heavy Metal is the Law. \m/

Offline BTO

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2786 on: April 11, 2024, 08:51:24 pm »
Tbh I agree , that's why I was asking if we need the patch again. Frankly , why need the patch since everything is already unlocked a firmware update shouldn't bother with licences and stuff.
So let's wait and see
well there exists only one question in my mind.
Now firmware updates CAN INDEED relock all the options, but they didn't in the DS2000A.
But the question in my mind is.. if all Rigol products upgrade the same then why did we have to use a patch for the MSO5000 and not for
the DS2000A ?
but , as stated before, there is really only 1 way to test this, and that is to get the firmware update when it becomes available
and if the options are not preserved, well then... what we have learned through the process of people being on the latest version
but not having the patch installed is... that you can just apply the patch as it becomes available and the options will be unlocked

so i think either way we'll be fine
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2787 on: April 11, 2024, 09:16:33 pm »
I don't understand what you've been trying to accomplish in the last few messages but to get things straight:

1. Member DrMefistO has published a license generator that can "correctly" license the MSO5000, as long as the FRAM doesn't get corrupted by his key  FRAM insertion technique. When it runs OK, this way is future proof.

2. All other app patching techniques don't license the scope eternally. They require continuous patching of FW versions  as long as new FW versions come out.

Sometime ago I defied DrMefistO to correctly complete his procedure by searching the SCPI command that allows the correct insertion of the Key.data info the FRAM. If anyone wants to join that quest...

BTW, the DS2000A can also be licensed directly in the latest FW version. But the method is also another one that is not public.

Offline BTO

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2788 on: April 11, 2024, 09:46:19 pm »
I don't understand what you've been trying to accomplish in the last few messages but to get things straight:

1. Member DrMefistO has published a license generator that can "correctly" license the MSO5000, as long as the FRAM doesn't get corrupted by his key  FRAM insertion technique. When it runs OK, this way is future proof.

2. All other app patching techniques don't license the scope eternally. They require continuous patching of FW versions  as long as new FW versions come out.

Sometime ago I defied DrMefistO to correctly complete his procedure by searching the SCPI command that allows the correct insertion of the Key.data info the FRAM. If anyone wants to join that quest...

BTW, the DS2000A can also be licensed directly in the latest FW version. But the method is also another one that is not public.

"I don't understand what you've been trying to accomplish in the last few messages but to get things straight:"
OK, well
1. i was helping people unlock their scopes, and my method of unlocking is nothing special, it's just folders within folders that are labelled
    sequentially and a notepad file in each folder to tell the person what to do at every step. Nothing special.

2. Then i put up a post with tutorial videos (since trying to put out another upgrade option is pointless , since a good one already exists)
    However there didn't seem to be any tutorials on what you do AFTER you upgrade  LOL
    I think everyone got so distracted by the actual upgrade process, that when it happened, it was like 10 Xmas's coming all at once
   and it never occurred to them.... Oh yeah.. How do we actually use the features in our scope

3. NOW WHAT WAS I TRYING TO ACHIEVE IN THE LAST FEW POSTS
   well, A few people started to thank me, so i commented, so i was trying to achieve expression of appreciation there.
   then during the recording of the videos i notices mistakes in the scope, Grammatical and spelling errors, (which i found strange)
  i then approached rigol (they seem to be taking it seriously).  so here what i was trying to achieve was to get those issues fixed

Then as i was doing that, i upgraded my DS2000A and i learnt that i didn't need to unlock it anymore.  I did an experiment whereby
   i went through, i think it was 11 firmware updates, and at each stage i recorded if the software options were still preserved.  THEY WERE.
   i did this because i figured...  who the hell is going to do this and how often.  so i figured i'd try it.  After the first update being successful
   i thought, yeah, should be ok, i'll do then one by one... so my point here was to learn if it was possible

then since i approached rigol, it's obvious there will be a future firmware update, so my point then was to advise the forum of this.

Along the way , and from speaking to rigol, i raised a few other issues like color grade and slowest time base.
   They said they would look into it . So my purpose here was..... to try and convince rigol to make the color grade respond faster
   and to advise the forum of the update

Beyond that, i guess.. me and thor just got into this thing of... Yeah that'd be cool...   aww yeah it totally would  LOL
   so..there wasn't really anything being achieved there other than saying.... Maaan that'd be so fucking awesome.

DOES THAT HELP ?

" DrMefistO has published a license generator that can "correctly" license the MSO5000"
Do you have a link to said license generator ?
So.. what does this do exactly ?
Can i derive from your statement that is PERMANENTLY licenses the scope ?
Now, if so, the part that confuses me is... My scope is already licenced,  Now, the patch doesn't licence the scope,
the Patch just unlocks software options,  so... Clarify to me why my scope would not be licenced... I'm confused

"Sometime ago I defied DrMefistO to correctly complete his procedure"
Ohhhh Noo. You Di  Unt ,  Ohhh Heelll No,   You need Jesus  :-DD
I mean ... The Audacity of you.  Say it ain't so .

But on a serious not,  His technique (as i understand it) requires remoting into the scope via command line, right ?
Now, i've heard of people doing it just to unlock their scopes, and in my experience (and don't get my wrong.. i  FUCKING LOVE C.L.I.)
but.. for just unlocking options, it's absolutely not necessary as there exists an option that is piss easy to unlock your scope

UNLESS OF COURSE YOU CAN GIVE ME A GOOD REASON WHY I WOULD DIVE INTO THE C.L.I. OF THE SCOPE and buy that little
Doo Whacky to interface with it,  I mean i have Arduino Boards, I know people have done it that way, I have ESP32,  Hell i even
have a JTAGulator, which .....  I think MIGHT be able to interface with the scope without me needing to buy a new thingy.
but i haven't got a clear answer on that as yet.
At the end of the day i believe that thing that people are buying is just a device to jump onto the BUS of the JTAG right ?

so... Are you saying that if we use his procedure, then....
When future updates come out , we won't have to worry about patching,we'll just update with the upgrade file and all the options will
still be there,  but..  if we use the patch then we have to repatch each time

and if that's thecase, and we have already applied the patch and have the updates.
then, How do we apply his technique if we have already patched it ?
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2789 on: April 11, 2024, 11:15:58 pm »
I was summarizing the state of the art regarding licensing the MSO5000. My comment about "last posts" was focused on your considerations about the patching techniques being employed, nothing about you trying to summarize things for other people.

BTW, my post was not worthy of a 2-pages response, and specially the unpleasant comments.  :palm:

When future updates come out , we won't have to worry about patching,we'll just update with the upgrade file and all the options will

and if that's thecase, and we have already applied the patch and have the updates.

Yes. I was saying exactly that in a summarized way.

It was because I suspected that you hadn't understood that feature, that I decide to write it in a very simple way and not a convoluted way!

I didn't criticize your will to help others. I simply called your attention to the fact that there is a more modern way (available in this thread) to "correctly" license the scope without future patchings!

What you are doing is not called "licensing". It's called "bypassing the licensing"!

How do we apply his technique if we have already patched it ?

You should have been able to answer this yourself: just flash the latest stock FW and follow his procedure which, BTW, doesn't require the electron collider that you talk about. Study his posts more carefully.

Offline BTO

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2790 on: April 12, 2024, 08:04:39 am »
I was summarizing the state of the art regarding licensing the MSO5000. My comment about "last posts" was focused on your considerations about the patching techniques being employed, nothing about you trying to summarize things for other people.

BTW, my post was not worthy of a 2-pages response, and specially the unpleasant comments.  :palm:

It was because I suspected that you hadn't understood that feature, that I decide to write it in a very simple way and not a convoluted way!

I didn't criticize your will to help others. I simply called your attention to the fact that there is a more modern way (available in this thread) to "correctly" license the scope without future patchings!

What you are doing is not called "licensing". It's called "bypassing the licensing"!

You should have been able to answer this yourself: just flash the latest stock FW and follow his procedure which, BTW, doesn't require the electron collider that you talk about. Study his posts more carefully.

"BTW, my post was not worthy of a 2-pages response, and specially the unpleasant comments"
WHAT UNPLEASANT COMMENTS ? , There were no unpleasant comments.

"Yes. I was saying exactly that in a summarized way."
OK

"I didn't criticize your will to help others."
I DIDN'T SAY THAT YOU DID

You know what.. (can i be honest)  so far.. You seem to be really treading lightly or doing this "Brevity " thing
I mean look
"trying to summarize things"
"worthy of a 2-pages response"
"in a summarized way. "
"write it in a very simple way"
"and not a convoluted way!"

so... Do you have like a PTSD thing where things need to be kept brief ?  Because call me crazy, but i'm sensing a theme here.
it seems that you are bothered if a post is longer

SO HERE'S THE THING
1. You didn't advise me that when you speaking to you i need to be cautious
2. You didn't advise me that when speaking to you i need to keep it under 7 words or whatever is your acceptable word count

You need to understand that everyone is not the same and that people speak differently and have different ways of expressing themselves.
Take me for example...    When a person whinges to me about a post being "too long"   I PURPOSELY MAKE THE NEXT POST LONGER   ;D

Why ?
So the person understands a few things

1. They were wrong
2. Not everyone is held to the standards that they want the world to be held too
3. That person is not my mother or father and doesn't have a right to say these things
4. That person needs to bloody relax and not take shit so seriously

You've made seversal mistakes, one of them seems to be that you think that i'm upset or.. something to that effect.
what was it, something about UNPLEASANT COMMENTS ?     No, there was none of that , So therefore you misunderstood.

Secondly :  I don't have a maximum word count here, ok.   I don't hold anyone to a word count and i expect the same courtesy in return.

3rd, You are really really really putting in a big effort to tread very very carefully with me
HEADS UP......... YOU DONT NEED TO
and no one said or assumed or implied that you are criticizing me.  Mate, i think you're just taking shit way way too seriously or that you're overly sensitive .  The manner in which you reply shows that clearly.

4.  You asked a question,  I ANSWERED IT.
I mean...  LOL... is that not what you wanted ?
and if you didn't, then why did you ask the question ?

You asked a question,   i didn't purposely write a long post,  I PURPOSELY intended to give you a full and correct response.
I would have expected a "Thanks martin for the effort"   Instead i got a "Martin your post is to bloody long"
LOL
Ohh you gotta love it
Well,    for the record, i don't care if my post is too long, Just like everyone else, i will write my post as long or as short as i like.

" I simply called your attention to the fact that there is a more modern way (available in this thread) to "correctly" license the scope without future patchings!"
OK, THANK YOU
You also called to my attention that i shouldn't exceed a certain word count with you    LOL

but ok thanks for bringing that to my attention,   Now, if you want to debate, why i'm not keeping up.
well mat e(on a personal note) - My father passed away, 5 other family members passed away including my best mate
and then there's a lot more stuff we don't need to get into.
So.. You'll have to forgive me if i didn't keep up (in the last year) with the latest SSH updates,  OK

I have every intention of going through it, but really, right now ,i'm just playing catch up with my life.

and as politely as i can say this ....Who made you the comment section word count police ?
Just let people comment how they want to comment.  I've read some of your past pots,   you have a tendancy to do this.
you also have a tendancy to tell people when they writing something incorrectly
FOR THE RECORD, I've also found things that you have written that were incorrect.  Do you think they can't be pulled up

simply stated : won't do you just focus on the scopes and not worry about how long or short something is ,
I'm a different kind of person so... i won't take anything that you say personally, you literally can't offend me.  HOWEVER... i can absolutely see
how you would give someone else the shits

so.. this is me bringing one of your faults to your attention for consideration and modification (and .. Bringing it to your attention in a very blunt, but nicest way possible kind of way), OK, just so we are clear

MOVING FORWARD TO YOUR OTHER POINTS
"What you are doing is not called "licensing". It's called "bypassing the licensing"!"
OK, thanks, i didn't realize we were bypassing, i thought what we were doing was licensing the scope.
I mean, if we look at the progression from the DS1052E  through to the DS2000A then the DS1054Z and then the MSo5000 Series,
i was under the understanding the entire time that what we were doing was applying the ACTUAL LICENCE KEY so the scope is unlocked

then the scope stated this, so why would anyone have a reason to think otherwise,
then you stated if we do the SSH thing that we are actually licensing it
OK, I CAN THEN SEE A BENEFIT IN THAT  and i'll look into the process (by all means)

HOWEVER WE HAVE THIS

You mentioned "if the method doesn't corrupt the FRAM"
Ok, and what is the failure rate of that happening ?

Now i would like to address this...
I SAID
"How do we apply his technique if we have already patched it ? "

YOU RESPONDED in a completely useless manner

"You should have been able to answer this yourself: just flash the latest stock FW and follow his procedure which, BTW, doesn't require the electron collider that you talk about. Study his posts more carefully."

OK, YOU SHOULD HAVE BEEN ABLE TO..
- Figure out that i wasn't upset
- Figure out that you didn't need to tread carefully
- Figure out that you don't need to censor how long or short a post is
etc etc
BUT YOU DIDN'T, DID YOU ?
You should also have considered that i have a lot of other things going on in my life (or.. COULD HAVE)
BUT YOU DIDN'T , DID YOU ?
so.. there' s no need to respond like this,
if i ask you a question, Just answer it   (i didn't ask you a dumb question like what is 1+1) i asked a fair question

Now this
"Study his posts more carefully"
WELL YOU SHOULD READ MY POST MORE CAREFULLY,  don't be so quick to judge others
See..   You said this ...

"which, BTW, doesn't require the electron collider that you talk about. "
I was not asking " DOES IT REQUIRE IT"
I was asking
FYI - I have a JTAGulator
I was asking... Can i use the JTAGulator to interogate the scope in this manner and perform the process ?
I also mentioned other boards, just in case they could be used as well.  so that i wouldn't have to potentionally buy another piece of kit.

So.. in your mission to be brief can you see how many mistakes you've made ?
I also asked
DOES THAT HELP ?  You didn't answer that (see, i dont' ask questions without a reason) the purpose of that question was also for brevity,
to get confirmation if you now understand what i mean or if you need further input

Now mate, this post has been made to you purposely to be very blunt.
I understand it's normal to take this as rudeness which is why i'm now going to advise you that none of this was rudeness.
and i expect you to not take it as rudeness , i expect you to take it as feedback , i expect you to take it as , others probably won't tell you this stuff , they will probably TOLERATE you . (should they have to though ?)

Mate, we are all here for electronics at the end of the day,  Not to be censored on our word count or have someone pop on who is really
sensitive and make things awkward... yeah ?

SO.. WANNA START OVER
Feel free to give your thoughts
Feel free to say anything in response

Just do me a favour
1. Don't assume that i'm upset
2. Don't tread carefully with me ok,  Just bloody say what you're feeling

Now (Respectfully) if that feeling is "Martin your posts are too bloody long"

1. This is who i am
2. I don't care, since i wasn't intentionally trying to make it long (Unlike this post, which i did purposely drag on, so you have a basis for comparison)

but go ahead... speak your mind ,   and also understand you are not here to educate us on wordcount, We are here to respect each other.
NOW IS THAT FAIR ENOUGH OR WHAT ?

QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

Offline BTO

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2791 on: April 12, 2024, 08:05:50 am »

Now, after my previous wall of text,   i'm a bit tired..   I'm gonna make a coffee while you read all that  ;D
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #2792 on: April 12, 2024, 09:45:22 am »
Now, after my previous wall of text,   i'm a bit tired..   I'm gonna make a coffee while you read all that  ;D
Wise guy aren't you.
Daring to question the EEVblog hacking God tv84 !  :horse:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2793 on: April 12, 2024, 09:47:05 am »

Sorry to have wasted your time (and keyboard).

OAO

The following users thanked this post: Kean, skander36

Offline zzzox

« Reply #2794 on: April 12, 2024, 10:19:26 am »
Hi
I was disappointed with the display quality.I broke touch screen, by accident.
I remove it, and connected usb mouse.Logitech m310.
For picture quality, rate yourself.
BR

Offline BTO

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2795 on: April 12, 2024, 12:29:50 pm »
Wise guy aren't you.
Daring to question the EEVblog hacking God tv84 !  :horse:

and.. that's a fair comment and i'll give a fair reply

1. Re Wise Guy - Yes.. to a point

2. But more so i'd expect a bit of courtesy and basic respect from the hack god.
I have look through their (i'll say their since i don't know if it's He or She) History and i can respect the contribution to the forum
and i have respect for the experience and technical knowledge. But ultimately mate...  A bit of respect from him would go a long way .

he is no position to speak to me that way , Nor anyone else for that matter.
in the first instant he asked a question and i answered it honestly without any intended bullshit.

Fair's fair,   I show respect first to anyone, if they don't reciprocate and want to be smart i'll be very blunt with them
but if he they think their going to treat me however they want, they have another thing coming.    Respect where it's due, But.. did he really think i was gonna sit there and take that ?    No mate, Hack god or not (i also have my decades of experience under my belt as well) I don't
go around being a smart arse to people either.

so regardless of experience.... RESPECT WHERE IT'S DUE
Why ?   Because we all have to behave in harmony on this forum.

as for the rest of it ,the coffee and what not.  that's just my personality.... I like to muck around and it's done all in good fun.
but the serious part of the comment was that he needs to back up a bit and examine the way he treats people.

I think that's a fair call
« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 12:36:44 pm by BTO »
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

Offline BTO

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2796 on: April 12, 2024, 12:31:06 pm »

Sorry to have wasted your time (and keyboard).

OAO

So to be clear
1. You're not even going to address anything
2. You're not even going to answer the questions that were asked
3. Nor consider what i asked you to consider

No ???
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

Offline BTO

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2797 on: April 12, 2024, 12:33:46 pm »
Hi
I was disappointed with the display quality.I broke touch screen, by accident.
I remove it, and connected usb mouse.Logitech m310.
For picture quality, rate yourself.
BR
is that the digitizer that you broke ?
Wow
i also haven't seen those OPTIONAL covers on the Sig Gen.  Are they populated or not ?
I'm thinking if they are populated, after the upgrade you should get to use them .
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

Online Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #2798 on: April 12, 2024, 01:03:57 pm »
So to be clear

No ???

I'm not sure why you are stirring the pot.
tv84 clearly communicated the two licensing hack options to clear up some misinformation in your earlier posts.
You replied with a lot of long-winded nonsense that I doubt many will read in full (I didn't).

The following users thanked this post: skander36

Offline BTO

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2799 on: April 12, 2024, 01:20:02 pm »
So to be clear

No ???

I'm not sure why you are stirring the pot.

tv84 clearly communicated the two licensing hack options to clear up some misinformation in your earlier posts.
You replied with a lot of long-winded nonsense that I doubt many will read in full (I didn't).

OK well, You're not sure why i'm stirring the pot because..........................

I'M NOT STIRRING THE POT
I asked 3 questions.   that's not stirring a pot,  that's called ... Asking 3 questions for clarification.

TV84  did not CLEARLY comminicate
TV84 said a few thing
then added some degree of bullshit
then assume a few things
then asked me questions
that i answered
that he then didn't address

Hardly.. clear

but , No, i'm not stirring a pot.   My comment to him was a chance for him to acknowledge what he's doing to people
and out of respect to rectify his behaviour

AGAIN............. WE NEED TO RESPECT EACH OTHER ON THE FORUM
Do you not agree ?

If you look back in the comments.  the problem starts when TV84 started throwing low blows and insults.
Prior to that , everything was fine

as for the long post........... I COULDN'T CARE LESS HOW LONG IT IS OR WHO READ IT OR WHO DIDN'T
You are not causing me any offense by tellingme you didn't read it,  what you are doing is showing me what sort of person you are.

but that aside...
Is it not reasonable to ask of ANY MEMBER regardless of their skill level,  THAT WE RESPECT EACH OTHER ?
is that not a fair call

and.... when a misunderstanding occurs,  say.. Like you assuming that i'm stirring a pot
is it not a fair ask to have the other person admit they made a mistake.
NOT..  because i want to put them in a corner,   but because  they made a mistake,   both you and him.

See.. i'm not trying to pin you in a corner,   but... TO BE HONEST  i'm not going to accept the comment that i'm stirring a pot
when i'm not.   Now.. is that not fair enough ?

and with TV8    i asked a few fair questions
TV8  just pissed off, without addressing anything............ that's a bullshit act
Where is the responsibility for one's actions

Are we idiots here, or are we intelligent people that know how to work shit out ?
Do we take responsibility for our actions, or do we run away
Do we admit that we are wrong when we are wrong or we do we hide

ARE THESE NOT FAIR POINTS ?
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf