-
Hantek DSO5072P thread - Not the bandwidth hack thread
Posted by
jcrubin
on 30 Sep, 2015 01:42
-
Im starting a new thread to document some of the stuff I've done with the 5072P. Please do not reply with bandwidth hack related info or issues. There is another thread for that.
Just to start off
The unit was received yesterday and had the firmware upgraded to the latest rev 3.40.0(150907)
Hardware model is 1000xffff8108

I wasnt initially aware of the FFT, however I was pleasantly surprised and after a calibration run and probe setup I used the reference square wave in FFT mode to see how it looked on the spectrum. The reference waveform is 1KHZ

This evening I used my TSG AM signal generator to see how I could dial in a nice representation.
I also finally had the opportunity to see if the issue i'd noticed on my Feeltech FY3200S signal generator with my analogue scope existed on the new scope. Sure enough... it was the sig-gen
I should point out in fairness, that had I actually hooked my scope leads directly to the output of the generator, then the shape of the squarewave improved at low frequency.
-
-
I also finally had the opportunity to see if the issue i'd noticed on my Feeltech FY3200S signal generator with my analogue scope existed on the new scope. Sure enough... it was the sig-gen
I should point out in fairness, that had I actually hooked my scope leads directly to the output of the generator, then the shape of the squarewave improved at low frequency.
Just FYI, the FY3200S is only specified up to 6Mhz for everything except sine. It's only sine that is 24Mhz (or whatever, depending on model). See attached screenshot. I also attached the PDF of the manual in case you don't have it.
-
#2 Reply
Posted by
jcrubin
on 30 Sep, 2015 23:36
-
Today I did a replication of Martin Lortons capacitor measurement setup.....
https://youtu.be/5iC_mH85fMgHere is the second test with an orange drop .1uf capacitor. Video to follow
-
#3 Reply
Posted by
jcrubin
on 01 Oct, 2015 00:09
-
I also finally had the opportunity to see if the issue i'd noticed on my Feeltech FY3200S signal generator with my analogue scope existed on the new scope. Sure enough... it was the sig-gen
I should point out in fairness, that had I actually hooked my scope leads directly to the output of the generator, then the shape of the squarewave improved at low frequency.
Just FYI, the FY3200S is only specified up to 6Mhz for everything except sine. It's only sine that is 24Mhz (or whatever, depending on model). See attached screenshot. I also attached the PDF of the manual in case you don't have it.
You Sir, are correct. I should have checked the specs. That being said however........
This capture of 5.6MHZ looks pretty shitty as well


-
-
What's your probe setup like? I think your ringing might be coming from that rather than the sig gen.
Mine is jittery and a bit rounded, but it doesn't look nearly as bad as yours. Attached is screenshot; setup is RG58 coax from gen to scope with 50ohm terminator on a T piece (I don't have a straight through terminator) at the scope.
-
#5 Reply
Posted by
jcrubin
on 02 Oct, 2015 02:42
-
ill set up with the same parameters tomorrow and report back
-
#6 Reply
Posted by
jcrubin
on 03 Oct, 2015 00:00
-
Ok , the results look much better
6MHZ COAX 50OHM IMP SQ WAVE 10V

6MHZ COAX 50OHM IMP SAW WAVE 10V

6MHZ COAX 50OHM IMP SINE WAVE 10V

20MHZ COAX 50OHM IMP SQ WAVE 10V

YEL - 6MHZ COAX 50OHM IMP SINE WAVE 10V
BLUE - PROBES TO FREQGEN INPUT 2

YEL - 6MHZ COAX 50OHM IMP SQ WAVE 10V
BLUE - PROBES TO FREQGEN INPUT 2

YEL - 6MHZ COAX 50OOHM IMP SINE WAVE 10V
BLUE SHIELED COAX/ALIGATOR CLIP CABLE TO FREQGEN INPUT 2

YEL - 6MHZ COAX 50OOHM IMP SINE WAVE 10V
BLUE UNSHIELED COAX/ALIGATOR CLIP CABLE TO FREQGEN INPUT 2
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-juVLNYjOsYY/Vg8XKtMZ0wI/AAAAAAAACCg/XiZwDHkESH4/w800-h480-no/pic_4_7.bmp
-
-
Great, glad that's sorted. If you want me to do anything for comparison let me know.
One thing I noticed, it looks like you have the 20Mhz bandwidth limit turned on for channel 1 on all your screenshots. You will be filtering out some of the harmonics, which will round things off a bit. It won't make a massive difference but it will be noticeable; how much will depend on whether your scope is still 70Mhz or not.
Sorry for derailing the thread a bit. How are you finding the scope?
-
#8 Reply
Posted by
jcrubin
on 03 Oct, 2015 02:32
-
No you're not derailing.... This is kinda what the thread is all about....
Id expect naturally, that after I make measurements on the 5072P that folks would come back with findings for comparison.
As for the scope, I love it..... only a few small complaints that are very minor
Incidentally, I've made yet another movie.....
Display of sweep generator in oscope and fft mode
-
#9 Reply
Posted by
jcrubin
on 09 Oct, 2015 01:09
-
I decided to put a crystal oscillator in series with the scope and a freq generator to see what happens on FFT
Heres what I got
-
#10 Reply
Posted by
jcrubin
on 11 Oct, 2015 23:57
-
A look at waveform harmonics with FFT from a FREQ/GEN
-
#11 Reply
Posted by
jcrubin
on 13 Oct, 2015 01:12
-
A more thorough video using the FY3200S
-
-
Just had a 5072P delivered, and I am assuming the firmware is dated Year/Month/Day, if so it seems that mine has more recent firmware than that available on the website. At date of posting the website gives 151906, while I have 151009.
-
#13 Reply
Posted by
jcrubin
on 20 Feb, 2016 23:19
-
Year/Day/Month June 15 2015 and you have Sept 10 2015, no doubt the website can use an update
-
#14 Reply
Posted by
ssanmor
on 22 Feb, 2016 19:03
-
Hi!
This is my first post in this forum, I hope it is very useful!
I have just purchased a DSO5072P and have a couple of issues:
- First of all, some keys don't operate unless you press them really hard. But, for example, the HELP key doesn't respond no matter how hard you press it.
- The filtering function under Utility doesn't work: you can set up the filters (lowpass, highpass, bandpass, etc.) and adjust them so that they should clearly affect the displayed signal, but no changes at all.
My version is 3.40.0 (151009.0)
Do you have any advices about this?
Thanks!
-
#15 Reply
Posted by
jcrubin
on 11 Sep, 2016 01:48
-
Looks like there is a new firmware.... and no changelog
20160427
-
#16 Reply
Posted by
aandrew
on 12 Sep, 2016 00:13
-
20160427 is new? I'm running 160630 (3.2.25) for a few months now...
-
#17 Reply
Posted by
jcrubin
on 03 Jan, 2017 13:36
-
It seems as though these models are being phased out for newer ones, ive decided to go ahead and open mine up to 200MHZ to accommodate the 2 metre band.
Ive made a movie covering this process on my scope and published it in the main thread but here it is
-
#18 Reply
Posted by
jcrubin
on 01 Mar, 2017 13:02
-
I havent heard any feedback, is anyone else still buying these models at bargin basement prices or have they all moved onto the newer models...
-
#19 Reply
Posted by
PT_Dreamer
on 03 Mar, 2017 14:43
-
Hi,
Just bought one (5072P), 230Eur shipped from Germany from aliexpress, no mods yet, just playing around.
Anyone tried to run the firmware with qemu?
-
#20 Reply
Posted by
jcrubin
on 03 Mar, 2017 23:59
-
good question, no, never tried the firmware in a VM actually......
-
#21 Reply
Posted by
polo4041
on 25 Apr, 2017 09:49
-
As you have made with succes you hack to 200 Mhz, and as i also get problem with doing a back up i put below my first thread expalining the priblem i have.
perhaps you can give me a little help to resobe the backup problem :
***************
Hello, I am new on your forum and send all of you my "hello", my English is not so good as yours so please be patient with my questions.
I received a week ago an Hantek scope DSO5072P with the following information:
Version logs: 3.40.0 (170209.0)
Hardware version: 1010xffff8108
S/N: T1G/035 65xx
As there was a new version of firmware dso5072p20170318. up I decide to make first a backup, like to explained by tinhead without success, by using tool_P_models.zip.
I have tried to rename the file with the same name as the firmware update and I only get the error oXfe message.
When using the original name of the backup file I have the message there are no file for firmware update, after renaming the update file, it seam to work, but after few seconds message "the file has not the right format" is displayed.
Finally,i do the firmware update witch works and only the version log display seam to be changed with a display: 3.40.0(170318.0)
As my knowledge, in Linux is basic can any body body from the forum help me to progress and explain me how to do backup via USB to word converter or perhaps I miss Something in the software backup procedure. Perhaps it is posible to do that via Windows.
I will appreciate your help and sorry again for my English
******************
Many thanks in advance.
-
#22 Reply
Posted by
jcrubin
on 18 Oct, 2017 11:45
-
I have made a reply with regard to the question asking about subsequent upgrades to the firmware after the hack is preformed, which is no issue at all, it is shown below. This is the latest firmware as of this month.
-
#23 Reply
Posted by
JMThomas
on 31 Mar, 2018 14:09
-
This is still versioned 3.40.0.
My old one was dated 20150906. They may have been intervening versions, but I didn't get a copy from the Hantek web site.
1. I think the Measure screen has new options for +Pulse Width and -Pulse Width and Delay1-2Rise
2. The Measure button still displays Channel 1, never Channel 2, unless Channel 1 is disabled. (Ongoing bug.)
3. I was displaying a 0-190 volt sine wave. At 50 v/div, the wave displays for about 2 seconds, then disappears. Displays properly at 20 v/div.
Just noticed that at 50 v/div a zero volt input always displays at the center of the screen, no matter where the zero position is set. Again, at 20 v/div the trace moves with the position knob.
I'm --><-- close to rolling back to 20150906