Author Topic: New bench scope - Fnirsi 1014D, 7", 1GSa/s  (Read 84764 times)

Online tunkTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Re: New bench scope - Fnirsi 1014D, 7", 1GSa/s
« Reply #275 on: February 16, 2023, 03:16:50 pm »
No expert, but I think I rather would have an Owon or Hantek handheld.
You could also look into if your PC sound card could do the job.
And if you want to learn about scopes, this may be a good/cheaper starting point:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/new-toy()-scope-dso154pro-1ch-claimed-40mss/

Offline donwulff

• Contributor
« Reply #276 on: February 19, 2023, 11:38:56 am »
I should probably emphasize in wherever that the FNIRSI (et al.) has terrible sensitivity, and is unsuitable for most signal integrity uses. In keeping with management systems, I like to describe it as "indicator". That said, the ADC is 8-bit ("Effective Number of Bits: 7.5") so in the right range you could have fairly good resolution (like, what can your cables and probes handle anyway?).

Indeed the FNIRSI's strongest point must be the price, and in EU anything which has a price over 150 € before taxes needs to be declared & taxes paid by the buyer (unless the seller holds to their agreement), which adds to the cost & effort. They can also be ran from USB power pack, so whether you're looking for hobbyist scope for limited use, a throwaway for the road, or one for experimenting and programming, it's worth giving a consideration. Just be aware of the limitations. It also seems to be something of a religion with plenty of "Thou shalt not buy a FNIRSI" people, so take that into consideration too ;)

Unless you absolutely need the signal generator or the benchtop form-factor, 1013D may be a better choice, with currently working open firmware. I'm still working on the 1014D firmware, but need to get other things done & been bit under the weather, hopefully I'll have more time next month (Plus some of the components from China still haven't arrived). The firmware modified from @pcprogrammer's 1013D is booting & initializes main devices, but it's not useful quite yet. Signal generator is low priority for me. The stock firmware works well enough though, if one wants to just use it and not experiment with things.

The following users thanked this post: waste

Offline Postal2

• Contributor
« Reply #277 on: April 08, 2023, 06:01:45 am »
Hello. I bought FNIRSI-1014D and could not use it because bad. I made some improvements and now I can use it. Need 2 ferrite beads in power section, need switch ground to connectors and take out ac/dc switch. See photo and do accordingly.

The following users thanked this post: donwulff

Offline donwulff

• Contributor
« Reply #278 on: June 06, 2023, 04:47:32 pm »
It seems the DC-bypass opto-switches have been intentionally shorted close, on the side of the lighter/khaki AC-coupling capacitor. This will of course take out the ability to AC-couple, but it's a good idea if AC-coupling is needed, because the opto-switch can reduce its frequency-bandwidth (Similar to the idea of the additional switch for reducing the resistance I've yet to try *cough*). The common ground of the probes is improved with a kind of ground-bar; the accompanying instructions of the scope indeed warns the foils between the probes may burn out if grounded to different potentials, so this seems like a great idea as well.

I can't spot the ferrite beads though, do they just go around the incoming USB power leads?

DOS2C10:
In other news I got the Hantek DSO2C10 to compare & see what all the hubbub is about and the price came down a bit. Since it's been pushed on this thread, a few quick notes before I get it for more of a spin. First it took 2 months to arrive, which may be record longest of any orders I've made. In the past I've had to fight with sellers over the customs taxes for items with base cost over 150 EUR, but it seems AliExpress just deducts them from the price, and you have to do the paperwork (Tariff code 90302000 for Oscilloscopes and oscillographs) and pay the taxes yourself.

The scope itself has more plastic feel to me, but that's subjective. Probably due to the heavy ventilation on the case, which also means that avoid dust and moisture, this isn't something to lug around on the field! The Ext Trig/Gen Out connector is indeed soldered on, while the product description gives the impression DSO2C10 model would lack it. According to other posts some other Analog Wave Generator components are NOT populated, it does seem to work for me with just arrived scope. A notable warning is it indeed comes with a single probe, which is odd choice for a dual-channel oscilloscope, so you'll probably just end up having to buy new ones, which adds quite a bit to total cost for comparison purposes. It has two USB ports (Type A and Type B for both client/host), but can only be powered by the AC lead. The scope however now comes with 1.0.3.0.0(230327.00) firmware, and the latest downloadable firmware on Hantek site is 20221028.

The upgrade instructions at https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/new-hantek-dso2x1x-models/msg3559217/#msg3559217 seem to already mention the new firmware, and it turns out using the UPK on that link you don't need to change the firmware at all, just run the UPK to change the model. Multiple UPK's can be on USB at once, just select Utility button, F3 Update, Menu scroll to right UPK, press the scrollbar & then confirm with F3 Update - yeah what a weird sequence. Using the Backup Builder which is hidden at the end of the FAQ before update stuck at 35% and then just rebooted, but the backup appears to be more or less complete.

Edits: Single probe is PP-150 but actually only rated only 100MHz so wouldn't work with full bw anyway, new firmware, latest upgrade instructions.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 07:13:12 am by donwulff »

Offline gargamel777

« Reply #279 on: June 17, 2023, 10:57:09 am »
Hello, my first post here.

I just purchased my first scope FNIRSI 1014D. Tested it, works ok.

Then I mistakenly connected 12V barrel  jack to it. Original is powered from 5V, but uses same barrel jack as most 9V -12V equipment. So my mistake and now wouldn't power on. I can hear relay click inside when press power button.

Thank you for any advice, before I break the thing apart?

Rok

Offline donwulff

• Contributor
« Reply #280 on: June 18, 2023, 07:05:25 pm »
That's quite unfortunate, all of the power regulators and DAC amp https://github.com/pecostm32/FNIRSI-1013D-1014D-Hack/blob/main/Schematics/1014D/Scope_1014D_Power_Supply.png are connected straight to the 5V bus with no obvious over-voltage protection, as they do warn to use only the 5V supply that comes with it. And the MOSFET switch & diode are rated for 12V+ plus, so there's a good chance of frying a number of the power regulators, at the very least.

I wonder which relay that would be, however, best bet is probably to connect 5V and start measuring which of the regulators are working, though there seem to be other components on harm's way on the LCD path as well. I'm not going to check all of their data-sheets, but some of them could tolerate 12V input at least for a while, but at least the LCD DC-DC converters are strictly 5V input. There's no easy test points and I can't immediately identify the location of all the regulators, and if several components are fried, or shorted, it could quickly get more expensive to repair than get a new one, even if you're good with soldering iron.

The following users thanked this post: gargamel777

Offline Postal2

• Contributor
« Reply #281 on: June 18, 2023, 09:56:42 pm »
I can't spot the ferrite beads though, do they just go around the incoming USB power leads?
Marked on photo.

It's impossible to use it without those improvements. Absolutely not. May be if you school boy.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2023, 10:14:35 pm by Postal2 »

The following users thanked this post: gargamel777

Offline gargamel777

« Reply #282 on: September 03, 2023, 02:47:28 am »
That's quite unfortunate, all of the power regulators and DAC amp https://github.com/pecostm32/FNIRSI-1013D-1014D-Hack/blob/main/Schematics/1014D/Scope_1014D_Power_Supply.png are connected straight to the 5V bus with no obvious over-voltage protection, as they do warn to use only the 5V supply that comes with it. And the MOSFET switch & diode are rated for 12V+ plus, so there's a good chance of frying a number of the power regulators, at the very least.

I wonder which relay that would be, however, best bet is probably to connect 5V and start measuring which of the regulators are working, though there seem to be other components on harm's way on the LCD path as well. I'm not going to check all of their data-sheets, but some of them could tolerate 12V input at least for a while, but at least the LCD DC-DC converters are strictly 5V input. There's no easy test points and I can't immediately identify the location of all the regulators, and if several components are fried, or shorted, it could quickly get more expensive to repair than get a new one, even if you're good with soldering iron.

Thank you,

It was just the boost driver for the backlight. Wish I knew there was a schematics available online for this scope. But good lesson learning & fixing  without it.

(I'm 1980s electronics guy who moved  soon in 1990s to IT, but somehow ended up fixing marine electrical/electronics  stuff on liveaboards in Indonesia these years :-)

Thanks again. I love this forum.

Offline zenon

« Reply #283 on: October 30, 2023, 11:35:07 am »
This oscilloscope has an incredibly poorly designed input attenuator!
For different input sensitivity, the values ​​of different frequencies are totally different!
Has anyone dealt with this problem?
Otherwise, for fun, I made a voltage limiter to possibly protect the device from blowing up if the supply voltage rises. Voltage threshold is somewhere around 5.3V and depends on the zener diode.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2023, 11:39:19 am by zenon »

Offline zenon

« Reply #284 on: December 05, 2023, 07:32:35 pm »
Hello!
I was able to adjust the attenuator on this unit to some extent.
Trimmer capacitors are 10-30pF, but it is good to use ones with a smaller value (5-20 or something similar).
« Last Edit: December 05, 2023, 09:13:13 pm by zenon »

Offline galiy

« Reply #285 on: January 13, 2024, 03:25:09 pm »
Hello! This is input 1014D. These parts burned out. Please tell me the type of these parts, I need to replace them.

@zenon
« Last Edit: January 13, 2024, 03:28:04 pm by galiy »

Online Atlan

• Frequent Contributor
FNIRSI 1013D Always provide a picture or video with the problem where the parameters of the oscilloscope are visible, and a picture of the diagnostic screen with the values.

Offline zenon

« Reply #287 on: January 13, 2024, 06:58:56 pm »
@galiy
10 Ohm

Offline galiy

« Reply #288 on: January 14, 2024, 05:38:43 am »
Thaks!

Offline naiclub

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #289 on: January 14, 2024, 08:03:45 am »
Anyone know how to fix this? Generator allows you to adjust Amplified or not? In the original, there was very little signal from this point. which does not have sufficient sensitivity to receive

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #290 on: January 14, 2024, 02:20:29 pm »
https://github.com/pecostm32/FNIRSI-1013D-1014D-Hack/tree/main/Schematics

Take a look at the schematics. The signal generator is very simple. A resistive (2R-R) network driven by the FPGA and an opamp driver. Output is limited to 3V3.

Any signal amplitude change is done in "software" and reduces the resolution on the output. Not even sure if it is possible to adjust. Never used it.

Offline naiclub

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #291 on: January 14, 2024, 05:07:55 pm »
https://github.com/pecostm32/FNIRSI-1013D-1014D-Hack/tree/main/Schematics

Take a look at the schematics. The signal generator is very simple. A resistive (2R-R) network driven by the FPGA and an opamp driver. Output is limited to 3V3.

Any signal amplitude change is done in "software" and reduces the resolution on the output. Not even sure if it is possible to adjust. Never used it.
Thank you. Where can I add volume? so that we can adjust the amplitude

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #292 on: January 14, 2024, 05:13:28 pm »

Easiest would be to add an external amplifier run of a separate power supply.

Offline naiclub

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #293 on: January 14, 2024, 05:49:56 pm »

Easiest would be to add an external amplifier run of a separate power supply.
Thank you. Could you please draw a circuit diagram for me?

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #294 on: January 14, 2024, 05:57:33 pm »
Search the internet. There are plenty examples to be found.

Something like this for instance: https://www.eleccircuit.com/the-signal-amplifiers-can-set-input-and-output-ratio/

Offline naiclub

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #295 on: January 15, 2024, 08:55:42 am »
Search the internet. There are plenty examples to be found.

Something like this for instance: https://www.eleccircuit.com/the-signal-amplifiers-can-set-input-and-output-ratio/

Found this clip. Very interesting

Offline naiclub

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #296 on: January 17, 2024, 05:09:14 pm »
Problems with this scope With very high frequency generators the signal amplitude is greatly reduced. Hardly anything can be measured.

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #297 on: January 17, 2024, 05:59:00 pm »
Yep, FNIRSI lies about the specifications. The scope has a bandwidth of about 30MHz. Max sample rate per channel 200MSa/s. Sample memory less then 4KByte per channel.

Online Atlan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #298 on: January 17, 2024, 06:43:38 pm »
When you measure it, do you have the probe switched to 10?
FNIRSI 1013D Always provide a picture or video with the problem where the parameters of the oscilloscope are visible, and a picture of the diagnostic screen with the values.

Offline naiclub

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #299 on: January 17, 2024, 07:13:45 pm »
Yep, FNIRSI lies about the specifications. The scope has a bandwidth of about 30MHz. Max sample rate per channel 200MSa/s. Sample memory less then 4KByte per channel.
I am very disappointed with the money I paid.
When you measure it, do you have the probe switched to 10?
If you measure this level Can't see the waveform. Must be adjusted to X1 only.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf