Author Topic: NEW Next Gen 2 Series Tektronix Oscilloscope  (Read 67663 times)

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
Re: NEW Next Gen 2 Series Tektronix Oscilloscope
« Reply #600 on: June 14, 2022, 09:40:14 pm »
Looks like it has an awful lot of features once you start digging.
What do you mean by that? What lot of features, what does it have that even DS1000Z or Siglent SDS1104E-X doesn't?
Rigol MSO5000 has many more features than it and also SDS2000X+ ..

All of them for fraction of price.
Do the Rigol and Siglent have the advanced triggering shown by Shahriar? I don't recall about this feature being present in the entry level models...

The other two more advanced have mor features.

That Tek has no advanced triggering features..

1000Z
 Edge Trigger
 Pulse Trigger
 Slope Trigger
 Video Trigger
 Pattern Trigger
 Duration Trigger
 TimeOut Trigger
 Runt Trigger
 Window Trigger
 Delay Trigger
 Setup/Hold Trigger
 Nth Edge Trigger
 RS232 Trigger
 I2C Trigger
 SPI Trigger

MSO5000 series oscilloscope provides the following trigger types.
 Edge Trigger
 Pulse Trigger
 Slope Trigger
 Video Trigger
 Pattern Trigger
 Duration Trigger
 Timeout Trigger
 Window Trigger
 Delay Trigger
 Setup/Hold Trigger
 Nth Edge Trigger
 RS232 Trigger (Option)
 I2C Trigger (Option)
 SPI Trigger (Option)
 CAN Trigger (Option)
 FlexRay Trigger (Option)
 LIN Trigger (Option)
 I2S Trigger (Option)
 MIL-STD-1553 Trigger (Option)
2 zone trigger

SDS1104X-E:
Edge, Slope, Pulse Width, Window, Runt, Interval, Dropout, Pattern, Video
Serial Trigger and decoder (Std) IIC, SPI, UART, CAN, LIN

SDS 2000X+:
Edge, Slope, Pulse, Window, Runt, Interval, Dropout, Pattern, Video and Serial
Serial trigger and decode Standard: I2C, SPI, UART, CAN, LIN
Optional: CAN FD, FlexRay, I2S, MIL-STD-1553B, SENT
2 zone trigger

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #601 on: June 14, 2022, 09:54:07 pm »
What do you mean by that? What lot of features, what does it have that even DS1000Z or Siglent SDS1104E-X doesn't?

Do the Rigol and Siglent have the advanced triggering shown by Shahriar? I don't recall about this feature being present in the entry level models...

Can they save a sceenshot when a trigger condition is met then continue capturing afterwards?

Save a screenshot on every trigger ?
Rigols, no, but they can save to segments (recording in their parlance). MSO5000 can also save screenshot on pass/fail mask test..

SDS1000X-E saves EVERY trigger to history buffers..
So does SDS200X+. And can also save screenshot on pass/fail mask test..
« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 09:58:45 pm by 2N3055 »

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #602 on: June 14, 2022, 09:56:43 pm »

I don't think Tek is worried about head-to-head bang-for-buck comparisons with upstarts, but it would actually be interesting to do that.  I'm sure each will have things the other does not, but they probably both have the modern basics covered.  The SDS1000X-E series has a decent set of triggers.

A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #603 on: June 14, 2022, 10:07:55 pm »

I don't think Tek is worried about head-to-head bang-for-buck comparisons with upstarts, but it would actually be interesting to do that.  I'm sure each will have things the other does not, but they probably both have the modern basics covered.  The SDS1000X-E series has a decent set of triggers.

My intention is not even to do "head-to-head bang-for-buck comparisons with upstarts".  What I'm trying to say is that marketing here is plain misleading. These are not "benefits of advanced triggering" when inexpensive 1000 series scopes have same or better. They are simply pretending those don't exists and lying that what is mainstream with other manufacturers is somehow "advanced" on Tek scopes.
Fact that DS1000Z which is a cheap and now old scope has same set of triggers that Tek is pretending to be something special is embarrassing for Tek.

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, Someone, thm_w, DEV001, jjoonathan, jusaca, Martin72, derree

Offline rvalente

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #604 on: June 15, 2022, 12:36:10 am »

1000Z
 Edge Trigger
 Pulse Trigger
 Slope Trigger
 Video Trigger
 Pattern Trigger
 Duration Trigger
 TimeOut Trigger
 Runt Trigger
 Window Trigger
 Delay Trigger
 Setup/Hold Trigger
 Nth Edge Trigger
 RS232 Trigger
 I2C Trigger
 SPI Trigger

 Edge Trigger
 Pulse Trigger
 Slope Trigger
 Video Trigger
 Pattern Trigger
 Duration Trigger
 Timeout Trigger
 Window Trigger
 Delay Trigger
 Setup/Hold Trigger
 Nth Edge Trigger
 RS232 Trigger (Option)
 I2C Trigger (Option)
 SPI Trigger (Option)
 CAN Trigger (Option)
 LIN Trigger (Option)
 I2S Trigger (Option)
2 zone trigger

SDS1104X-E:

SDS 2000X+:
2 zone trigger

Would you bother to compare with micsig, please?

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #605 on: June 15, 2022, 01:05:02 am »

Just read the datasheet: https://www.saelig.com/supplier/micsig/sto1000-datasheet-saelig.pdf
Support Edge, Pulse, Logic, N Edge, Runt, Slope, Timeout, Video and Serial trigger
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Offline snoopy

• Frequent Contributor
    • Analog Precision
« Reply #606 on: June 15, 2022, 01:19:31 am »
For someone who is used to using a mouse this is quite an advantage rather than fiddling around with buttons and knobs.

Lots of oscilloscopes can use a mouse and/or do remote access these days. No need to pay Tek prices for that.

Which ones allow you to plug the mouse directly into the scope via a USB port ? I'm not sure the Tek 2 allows that either but it would be handy.

cheers

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #607 on: June 15, 2022, 01:27:13 am »
For someone who is used to using a mouse this is quite an advantage rather than fiddling around with buttons and knobs.

Lots of oscilloscopes can use a mouse and/or do remote access these days. No need to pay Tek prices for that.

Which ones allow you to plug the mouse directly into the scope via a USB port ? I'm not sure the Tek 2 allows that either but it would be handy.

cheers
Current Siglent DSO list:
SDS2000X Plus models
SDS2000X HD
SDS5000X
SDS6000A

All SSA Plus/SVA models
SNA5000A
More not jumping to mind ATM however most modern instruments with a touch screen also support at least a mouse and sometimes a keyboard too.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #608 on: June 15, 2022, 01:39:54 am »

1000Z
 Edge Trigger
 Pulse Trigger
 Slope Trigger
 Video Trigger
 Pattern Trigger
 Duration Trigger
 TimeOut Trigger
 Runt Trigger
 Window Trigger
 Delay Trigger
 Setup/Hold Trigger
 Nth Edge Trigger
 RS232 Trigger
 I2C Trigger
 SPI Trigger

 Edge Trigger
 Pulse Trigger
 Slope Trigger
 Video Trigger
 Pattern Trigger
 Duration Trigger
 Timeout Trigger
 Window Trigger
 Delay Trigger
 Setup/Hold Trigger
 Nth Edge Trigger
 RS232 Trigger (Option)
 I2C Trigger (Option)
 SPI Trigger (Option)
 CAN Trigger (Option)
 LIN Trigger (Option)
 I2S Trigger (Option)
2 zone trigger

SDS1104X-E:

SDS 2000X+:
2 zone trigger

Interesting. The Tek is a bit behind the DS1000Z and the SDS1104X-E:

Trigger types
Edge Positive, negative, or either slope on any channel.
Pulse Width Trigger on width of positive or negative pulses. Event can be time- or logic-qualified
Timeout Trigger on an event which remains high, low, or either, for a specified time period. Event can be logic-qualified
Runt Trigger on a pulse that crosses one threshold but fails to cross a second threshold before crossing the first again. Event can be time- or logic-qualified
Logic Trigger when logic pattern goes true, goes false, or occurs coincident with a clock edge. Pattern (AND, OR, NAND, NOR) specified for all input channels defined as high, low, or don't care. Logic pattern going true can be time-qualified
Setup/Hold Trigger on violations of both setup time and hold time between clock and data present on any input channels
Rise/Fall Trigger on pulse edge rates that are faster or slower than specified. Slope may be positive, negative, or either. Event can be logic-qualified
Parallel (with MSO option) Trigger on a parallel bus data value. Parallel bus can be from 1 to 20 bits (from the digital and analog channels) in size. Supports binary and hex radices
I2C (option) Trigger on start, repeated start, stop, missing ack, address (7 or 10 bit), data, or address and data on I2C buses up to 10 Mb/s
SPI (option) Trigger on slave select, idle time, or data (1-16 words) on SPI buses up to 20 Mb/s
RS-232/422/485/UART (option) Trigger on start bit, end of packet, data, and parity error up to 15 Mb/s
CAN (option) Trigger on start of frame, type of frame (data, remote, error, or overload), identifier, data, identifier and data, end of frame, missing ack, and bit stuff error on CAN buses up to 1 Mb/s
LIN (option) Trigger on sync, identifier, data, identifier and data, wakeup frame, sleep frame, and error on lin buses up to 1 Mb/s
SENT (option) Trigger on start of packet, fast channel status and data, slow channel message ID and data, and CRC errors

Source: Tek 2 datasheet
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline snoopy

• Frequent Contributor
    • Analog Precision
« Reply #609 on: June 15, 2022, 01:48:17 am »

Just read the datasheet: https://www.saelig.com/supplier/micsig/sto1000-datasheet-saelig.pdf
Support Edge, Pulse, Logic, N Edge, Runt, Slope, Timeout, Video and Serial trigger

I just read the data sheet for the Tek MSO-2 https://download.tek.com/datasheet/2SeriesMSO-Datasheet-EN-48W738570.pdf and it looks like it is way ahead on the sampling rate with 2.5 Gs/s for 2 channels and 1.25 Gs/s for all four channels. Whereas the MicSig are pretty coy about mentioning it at all and only talk about 1 Gs/s max for one channel. Looks like you only get 500Ms/s for 2 channels and 250Ms/s for all four channels :( I think the Tek wins hands down here.

cheers

Offline w2aew

• Super Contributor
  • I usTa cuDnt speL enjinere, noW I aR wuN
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #610 on: June 15, 2022, 01:58:19 am »

cheers

Yes, mouse and keyboard can be used directly via the USB port(s).  You can also use the mouse/keyboard on your computer when connected to the scope via the VNC Server.
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/w2aew
FAE for Tektronix
Technical Coordinator for the ARRL Northern NJ Section

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Offline snoopy

• Frequent Contributor
    • Analog Precision
« Reply #611 on: June 15, 2022, 02:46:51 am »

cheers

Yes, mouse and keyboard can be used directly via the USB port(s).  You can also use the mouse/keyboard on your computer when connected to the scope via the VNC Server.

Yes I really like that feature on my Tek TDS7054 which is esentially a Windows PC. The last thing I want to do is to rub my sticky fluxy fingers on the LCD screen. The mouse is expendable but not so much the LCD screen ;)

The only criticisms of this Tek-2 is they went a bit stingy by omitting the probe sense capability. Plus a 50 ohm option with the 500MHz version maybe worth looking at.

cheers

Offline snoopy

• Frequent Contributor
    • Analog Precision
« Reply #612 on: June 15, 2022, 02:57:45 am »

Trigger types
Pulse Width Trigger on width of positive or negative pulses. Event can be time- or logic-qualified
Timeout Trigger on an event which remains high, low, or either, for a specified time period. Event can be logic-qualified
Runt Trigger on a pulse that crosses one threshold but fails to cross a second threshold before crossing the first again. Event can be time- or logic-qualified
Logic Trigger when logic pattern goes true, goes false, or occurs coincident with a clock edge. Pattern (AND, OR, NAND, NOR) specified for all input channels defined as high, low, or don't care. Logic pattern going true can be time-qualified
Setup/Hold Trigger on violations of both setup time and hold time between clock and data present on any input channels
Rise/Fall Trigger on pulse edge rates that are faster or slower than specified. Slope may be positive, negative, or either. Event can be logic-qualified
Parallel (with MSO option) Trigger on a parallel bus data value. Parallel bus can be from 1 to 20 bits (from the digital and analog channels) in size. Supports binary and hex radices
I2C (option) Trigger on start, repeated start, stop, missing ack, address (7 or 10 bit), data, or address and data on I2C buses up to 10 Mb/s
SPI (option) Trigger on slave select, idle time, or data (1-16 words) on SPI buses up to 20 Mb/s
RS-232/422/485/UART (option) Trigger on start bit, end of packet, data, and parity error up to 15 Mb/s
CAN (option) Trigger on start of frame, type of frame (data, remote, error, or overload), identifier, data, identifier and data, end of frame, missing ack, and bit stuff error on CAN buses up to 1 Mb/s
LIN (option) Trigger on sync, identifier, data, identifier and data, wakeup frame, sleep frame, and error on lin buses up to 1 Mb/s
SENT (option) Trigger on start of packet, fast channel status and data, slow channel message ID and data, and CRC errors

Do any of them have HiRes or real-time box-car averaging mode ? That was one feature I really liked on my Tek TDS784 and TDS7054 . I don't think it is possible to do this on some of the cheaper scopes if they are continuously stuck in fast aquisition or DPO mode so that's why a lot of scopes with high update rates omit this feature. I'm pretty sure the Rigol DS1000Z didn't have it either.

cheers

Offline wizard69

• Super Contributor
Re: NEW Next Gen Tektronix Scope
« Reply #613 on: June 15, 2022, 03:13:50 am »
Real scopes don't have web browsers.

You can read datasheets on it.
I don't understand this thought: Real scopes (or whatever) don't have xxxxx.   This especially in instruments intended for field use.  If I could get a scope with something like the capability of an Ipad running the "scope" I'd jump on it.   The flip side of a laptop running a USB scope, can kinda meet the needs in the field but you are still carrying around two clumsy instruments.

And yes a big desire here is to read and store PDF's, browse the net for info and create your own documents for what ever you are working on.   Of course saving and filing screen shots on the local machine is a good thing too.

Offline wizard69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #614 on: June 15, 2022, 03:20:14 am »
Real scopes don't have web browsers.

You can read datasheets on it.
Yup. Ideal for field work. Put the documentation on the instrument and the scope is all a field engineer needs to bring along.

This is the worst idea I’ve ever heard of. Give the field engineer an iPad instead. That can be used at the same time, can be used to take notes on and isn’t constrained by a half arsed OS implementation they will inevitably deliver on cost on a scope.

I'd rather have an iPad with a built in scope.  Frankly if Apple wanted too they could replace a good portion of all of the scope makers out there if they did an iPad scope with good integration with iPad OS.   In the end the UI on most scopes has gotten worse with time.

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #615 on: June 15, 2022, 03:27:03 am »
Do any of them have HiRes or real-time box-car averaging mode ? That was one feature I really liked on my Tek TDS784 and TDS7054 . I don't think it is possible to do this on some of the cheaper scopes if they are continuously stuck in fast aquisition or DPO mode so that's why a lot of scopes with high update rates omit this feature. I'm pretty sure the Rigol DS1000Z didn't have it either.

Yes, the SDS1000X-E series has up to 3.0-bit ERES in the acquisition menu.  The SDS2000X+ is a bit weird, it has a 10-bit mode which is like a 2-bit ERES and then separate 3.0-bit function in the math menu, which burns one of your two math channels and doesn't allow you to use ERES on all the channels.  It's not a deal-breaker, but it is something that makes you go "hmmm".
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline wizard69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #616 on: June 15, 2022, 03:41:01 am »
I don't need to do any of these measurements to a calibration lab level, and really outstanding specialized instruments are not justified for me.
Modern scopes are next step multimeters.
I like to think of them as a modern replacement for the old 500 series instruments from Tek a few decades ago.   The only difference is that you had to select and plug in the module/functions you need.   A modern scope has so much built in or should have so much built in, you can avoid carrying around a whole series of instruments.   Adding the functionality of a personal computing device is just the next logical step

And today's scopes can actually do many things well, if done right.. Of course, there is no need to put a TurboTax on a scope....
There has to be a focus as to what it is.
Let the user decide.   One person may need to log into a server too resolve an outstanding ticket while another needs a custom app to drive a device under test, a third might need a micro controller development environment.

Offline mairo

• Supporter
« Reply #617 on: June 15, 2022, 05:08:53 am »
...  If I could get a scope with something like the capability of an Ipad running the "scope" I'd jump on it...

I think Liquid Instruments may have something of this nature.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #618 on: June 15, 2022, 12:09:44 pm »

My Micsig does. I think most of the "touch screen" oscilloscopes do.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2022, 12:19:35 pm by Fungus »

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #619 on: June 15, 2022, 06:52:13 pm »
I like to think of them as a modern replacement for the old 500 series instruments from Tek a few decades ago.   The only difference is that you had to select and plug in the module/functions you need.   A modern scope has so much built in or should have so much built in, you can avoid carrying around a whole series of instruments.   Adding the functionality of a personal computing device is just the next logical step

Do you mean the 400 series instruments, like the 465?  The 500 series were tube instruments and in the "laboratory" category.

Tektronix divided their product lines into "service" and "laboratory" instruments.  Back when TV servicing existed, it could be easy to distinguish the two because the service instruments included TV triggering and the laboratory ones did not, at least by default.

This new MSO 2 definitely falls into the "service" category, if only because of the lack of a probe interface.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #620 on: June 15, 2022, 07:03:30 pm »

Do you mean the 400 series instruments, like the 465?  The 500 series were tube instruments and in the "laboratory" category.
Probably TDS500 series...
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #621 on: June 15, 2022, 08:07:31 pm »

I think he's referring to the TM500 plug-in system. 

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #622 on: June 15, 2022, 09:35:03 pm »

Probably TDS500 series...

The TDS400 series were the "service" instruments.  The TDS500 series was the lowest performance of the "laboratory" instruments.  TDS600 had real time sample rates, meaning sample rate independent of the number of channels.  TDS700 were DPOs with InstaVu although this eventually moved down to the TDS500 series.

Notice that the TDS400 included video triggering standard, but video triggering was an option on the TDS500 and higher series.

Offline w2aew

• Super Contributor
  • I usTa cuDnt speL enjinere, noW I aR wuN
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #623 on: June 15, 2022, 09:39:14 pm »

Trigger types

cheers

The 2 Series has High Res (boxcar averaging) acquisition mode, as well as Peak, Envelope, Average and Sample (default).
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/w2aew
FAE for Tektronix
Technical Coordinator for the ARRL Northern NJ Section

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #624 on: June 15, 2022, 10:38:04 pm »

Trigger types

cheers

The 2 Series has High Res (boxcar averaging) acquisition mode, as well as Peak, Envelope, Average and Sample (default).

Envelope mode is the only difference, and it is a useful acquisition mode.. I know R&S RB2000 has it ( and many more). On some scopes you have it as math function..

The following users thanked this post: Kosmic

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf