Author Topic: New toy(?) scope Fnirsi DPOX180H, claimed 180MHz/500MSps (May 2023)  (Read 89515 times)

Offline pmaggi

• Contributor
Re: New toy(?) scope Fnirsi DPOX180H, claimed 180MHz/500MSps (May 2023)
« Reply #125 on: July 07, 2023, 04:06:53 pm »
There seems to be a new firmware available that fix some of the issues mentioned in this forum. I received this mail from FNIRSI

Hi, dear friend,
DPOX180H dual-channel phosphor digital oscilloscope has updated the latest firmware,
The firmware fixes three issues:
1: When measuring a square wave, you can see the rising and falling vertical lines.
2: Modify the name of the vertical voltage cursor measurement
3: Modified the text of the switching language interface.
Upgrade steps:
1: Open the settings menu and turn on USB sharing.
2: Use the data cable to connect to the computer,
3: At this time, the computer will pop up a U disk, and directly pull the firmware to the U disk.
4: Click the device's shutdown button, then restart it, and wait for the firmware upgrade to complete before it can work normally.

Firmware download link:https://www.mediafire.com/file/nckrih8t0rmchq2/DPOX180H-V20.zip/file

I couldn't tryed it because the osciloscope that I bought hasn't arrived yet. But is nice to know that FNIRSI is listening what the users ask for.

The following users thanked this post: mebel

Online RAPo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #126 on: July 07, 2023, 05:03:30 pm »
Yes, I've got the same mail from Fnirsi.
A good thing they take customer support serious.
The vertical line is indeed visible.
The cursors alas still have the same behaviour, but it is clear that the lower measures theCh2 potential difference and no delta_y :-\ .
« Last Edit: July 07, 2023, 05:29:48 pm by RAPo »

Offline plazma

• Frequent Contributor
    • Homepage
« Reply #127 on: July 07, 2023, 06:15:49 pm »
Thanks for the firmware. I upgraded my unit.
I hope they add offset and amplitude for the signal generator to make it useful.

Offline PeterSilie

« Reply #128 on: July 12, 2023, 08:51:35 am »
After having sold my rigol ds1052e many years ago, I decided to get myself this dpox180h.
reviews seemed promising, even though the limitations and real specifications are not very clear until now...

It arrived very quickly, costing 117€ and being compact to store away in my "electronics toolbox".
I'm pleasantly surprised by the user menu. I thought it would be much more painful to operate a scope without turning nobs.

I could not make good use of the FFT Display as I could not find out how to measure in the FFT plot or use the coursurs.
Any hints?

While playing around it locked up/crashed several times.

One feature I'm missing is trigger delay (or trigger hold-off), to retrigger for instance on a new CAN-Frame and not some where in between. There is the option of "HF Reject" in the triggersettings, which is kind off working, but not reliably.

Online RAPo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #129 on: July 12, 2023, 11:34:08 am »
After having sold my rigol ds1052e many years ago, I decided to get myself this dpox180h.
reviews seemed promising, even though the limitations and real specifications are not very clear until now...
If you are short on space, indeed the DPOX is handy, but I never would do away a proper scope (rigol MSO5104 and several analogue ones) .

It arrived very quickly, costing 117€ and being compact to store away in my "electronics toolbox".
I'm pleasantly surprised by the user menu. I thought it would be much more painful to operate a scope without turning nobs.

Indeed that is a good point for the DPOX. The menu structure is well layout and very easily accessible by special function keys like CH1, CH2, TRIG.

I could not make good use of the FFT Display as I could not find out how to measure in the FFT plot or use the coursurs.
Any hints?

The cursors implementation is a very weak point. The upper cursor line gives measurements according to the potential of channel 1, and the lower cursor line according to channel 2.
The new firmware has improved in explaining what is shown on the screen but is very cumbersome. Also, there is no delta_indication.

As for the FFT, the best way is to turn FFT on, press auto and then two times the H- key.
In that way, more of the signal is visible on the screen, and the FFT is shown in a better perspective (see associated images showing the FFT of a square wave and the FFT (before/after pressing 2xH-) of a dual-tone signal).
Measuring FFT values is very difficult, I use it more for quantitative results (are there harmonics?) instead of qualitative measurements (how large is a peak exactly).
While playing around it locked up/crashed several times.

One feature I'm missing is trigger delay (or trigger hold-off), to retrigger for instance on a new CAN-Frame and not some where in between. There is the option of "HF Reject" in the triggersettings, which is kind off working, but not reliably.

Yes, triggering is very basic. HF-reject gives a more stable signal but does not improve the trigger functionality like hold-off.

Offline svetlov

• Contributor
« Reply #130 on: July 13, 2023, 09:13:42 am »
this video shows some flaws in the software when displaying and time-stretching the captured square wave - you can also see that it is quite slow and it is unlikely that there are declared 50,000 thousand images per second
for example, the portable Owon HDS series is faster - despite the fact that 10,000 shots per second are declared there

Offline ptluis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #131 on: July 16, 2023, 05:09:55 pm »
This device has persistence mode? I can't find any information regarding this feature. I've been using the zeeweii dso2512g to repair smps and it has been enough, specially the persistence mode a feature that I'm using alot. How this fnirsi dpox180h compares to the zeeweii dso2512g? anyone owns both that could kindly do a comparison?

Online Aldo22

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #132 on: July 17, 2023, 02:40:28 pm »
How this fnirsi dpox180h compares to the zeeweii dso2512g? anyone owns both that could kindly do a comparison?

I would also be interested in a "conclusion" about the DPOX180h!

I have a DSO2512g and from what I've learned I'd say that if you have one, you don't need the other.
The DPOX180h has better specs and more/different features, but the DSO2512g is quite mature. It has never shown any oddities. That's worth a lot!
It's a viable tool within its capabilities.

Maybe I would also buy a DPOX180h today if I didn't have a DSO2512g, but I don't need a second device of this kind at the moment.
I might buy a Rigol DHO800 when it becomes available and I fancy a better oscilloscope.

Offline ptluis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #133 on: July 17, 2023, 10:45:36 pm »
How this fnirsi dpox180h compares to the zeeweii dso2512g? anyone owns both that could kindly do a comparison?

I have a DSO2512g and from what I've learned I'd say that if you have one, you don't need the other.
The DPOX180h has better specs and more/different features, but the DSO2512g is quite mature. It has never shown any oddities. That's worth a lot!

I agree with you but i need to buy another one of these portable devices, and since there is an alternative to the zeeweii my only doubt is about the persistence mode. I own a silent sds1104x-e but because it's not portable it has been off for quite some time, in fact I'm planning on buying a tablet scope owon tao series or a micsig, haven't done my full research, and then sell the siglent, because i need portability. anyway getting back the subject of portable devices, I've consider these little devices really usefull and easy to carry, and I'm not afraid of making a mistake and burn one, because they are cheap and easy to replace.

Online Aldo22

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #134 on: July 18, 2023, 08:56:30 am »
I agree with you but i need to buy another one of these portable devices, and since there is an alternative to the zeeweii my only doubt is about the persistence mode.
Do you mean 1 second persistence or infinite persistence? (image).
I've never seen that on the DPOX180h, but like I said, I don't own one.

I've consider these little devices really usefull and easy to carry, and I'm not afraid of making a mistake and burn one, because they are cheap and easy to replace.
Yes, these small, inexpensive devices have many good qualities in practice imo, not just disadvantages.

Online RAPo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #135 on: July 18, 2023, 09:22:59 am »
The evaluation is also based on how easy the scope is to operate.
I have both, like the DSO2512g more because even with my fat fingers I can connect a probe easily there.
Also, the placement of the function gen. ports is better at the DSO2512g (in fact I have modded my DPOX180h to have the generator output at the bottom.

There is one oddity for the DSO2512g: I cannot save an x-y plot.

There is no persistence on the DPOXH, but you can turn on the colour temperature to see the most frequently visited parts of the signal.

Online Aldo22

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #136 on: July 18, 2023, 09:34:10 am »
There is one oddity for the DSO2512g: I cannot save an x-y plot.
Yes, sometimes I miss that too.
I helped myself with a USB video capture card on the AV output of the DSO2512g.
This way I can view all the oscilloscope display on the laptop and save screenshots and videos of it without a camera.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2023, 09:53:40 am by Aldo22 »

The following users thanked this post: RAPo

Offline ptluis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #137 on: July 18, 2023, 09:34:50 am »
Do you mean 1 second persistence or infinite persistence? (image).
I've never seen that on the DPOX180h, but like I said, I don't own one.

I use mostly infinite persistence to view how stable and clean a smps outputs voltage in no load/load condition in a period of time, normally 3-5min for no load condition. when i turn on/off the smps i use the trigger to trace spikes. could not be the proper way of doing things but has been working for years and 100% in catching imperfections.

Offline ru_tash

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #138 on: July 20, 2023, 04:17:05 pm »
who can check some issue with generator, on my device output signal has same frequency in the range 200khz->399khz, 400khz->599khz, 600khz->799khz  and so on...
restore to factory settings does not help.

Online RAPo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #139 on: July 20, 2023, 05:31:23 pm »
Will do that tomorrow. Is it on every channel? What is the amplitude of the output? For all of the primary signals (sine, square, triangle)?

Offline BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #140 on: July 20, 2023, 06:42:08 pm »
The measurement is taken with 1x probe attenuation, terminated with a 50Ohm at the input of the scope.
Are you talking about a 10x/1x standard oscilloscope probe in 1x mode?

If so you cannot terminate it at the scope end and expect reasonable results.  They are built with high impedance wire (~300 ohms or more for a 1m probe).  The proper way to do this is use a straight 50 ohm coax cable from the generator and terminate that with 50 ohms at the scope.  An alternative (if you don't have a straight 50 ohm coax) is to terminate at the source with 50 ohms, then couple directly with a BNC to probe adapter and use the 10x setting on the probe. 
« Last Edit: July 21, 2023, 03:45:05 am by BillyO »
Bill  (Currently a Siglent fanboy)
--------------------------------------------------
Want to see an old guy fumble around re-learning a career left 40 years ago?  Well, look no further .. https://www.youtube.com/@uni-byte

Offline ru_tash

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #141 on: July 21, 2023, 02:36:53 am »
Will do that tomorrow. Is it on every channel? What is the amplitude of the output? For all of the primary signals (sine, square, triangle)?
yes on both channels, amplitude does not change, I tested on sine and square waves.

Online RAPo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #142 on: July 21, 2023, 01:07:21 pm »
No problems here (direct cable, tested on all channels, sine/square/triangle).
A sweep also shows up on the frequency measure.
Has it worked okay before?

who can check some issue with generator, on my device output signal has same frequency in the range 200khz->399khz, 400khz->599khz, 600khz->799khz  and so on...
restore to factory settings does not help.

Offline ru_tash

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #143 on: July 21, 2023, 01:44:34 pm »
it is only couple of days with me, new bought.
pls see attachments, quite clear seen problem.

Online RAPo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #144 on: July 21, 2023, 02:09:19 pm »
Ah, you are testing the internal generator. I was using an external generator.
Redid my test: no problem.
The image shows a flat line, mine shows the signal itself.
Does the scope measure other signals?

Offline ru_tash

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #145 on: July 21, 2023, 02:26:12 pm »
Ah, you are testing the internal generator. I was using an external generator.
Redid my test: no problem.
The image shows a flat line, mine shows the signal itself.
Does the scope measure other signals?

can you try measure 300khz not 300hz?

Online RAPo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #146 on: July 21, 2023, 03:06:17 pm »
I did a retest with 410kHz.
There is indeed an error. It looks like the internal generator bottoms out.
I will contact FNIRSI.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2023, 12:47:48 pm by RAPo »

The following users thanked this post: ru_tash

Online RAPo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #147 on: July 22, 2023, 12:48:39 pm »
FNIRSI reported back: the problem is forwarded to the engineers.

Offline Rooster Cogburn

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #148 on: July 22, 2023, 12:59:45 pm »
For those that own the DPOX180H and used it for a while, a few Qs:

(I don't care about the build-in funcgen)

- What issues/errors did you encounter? In this thread a cursor issue was helpfully described and some mention of crashes. Any more of that? Measurements that are wrong? Stability? Are any of the hori/verti division settings wonky?

- Can you clarify the 'screen protector' situation? In one video the unit was damaged by peeling off what looked like a screen protector and in another there were bubbles but the reviewer gave up on removing the layer. How does it look on your unit and did you remove it?

- Are any of the 'fancier' features this unit has over others actually usable/helpful? I mean stuff like the digital phosphor display, XY display, whatever that FFT-but-not-quite mode is, etc.

- Do you have a better idea of the actually usable BW? Some tests with a proper funcgen, properly hooked up, sine/saw/square?

- Can you deal with the UI? I imagine using a scope without pots/encoders is always a bit of a pain, but how does this unit hold up in actual use?

- Do you own or plan on buying any of the alternatives in the same price range (OWON HDS242/HDS272, upcoming Zoyi ZT-703S, DSO2512G, Hantek 2C42)? Any you'd prefer over this unit?

Thanks! :D

Online RAPo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #149 on: July 22, 2023, 01:59:50 pm »
For those that own the DPOX180H and used it for a while, a few Qs:
- What issues/errors did you encounter? In this thread a cursor issue was helpfully described and some mention of crashes. Any more of that? Measurements that are wrong? Stability? Are any of the hori/verti division settings wonky?
No wrong measurements (but I still don't like how cursors are handled). The scope is stable. Getting a stable triggering is difficult because there is no holdoff.
No wonkiness.
- Can you clarify the 'screen protector' situation? In one video the unit was damaged by peeling off what looked like a screen protector and in another there were bubbles but the reviewer gave up on removing the layer. How does it look on your unit and did you remove it?
I have opened the scope but didn't find a screen protector, no bubbles here.
- Are any of the 'fancier' features this unit has over others actually usable/helpful? I mean stuff like the digital phosphor display, XY display, whatever that FFT-but-not-quite mode is, etc.
digital phosphor is nice, but the screen is small so there is really little use for me.
XY works well.
FFT gives only an indication, no real measurements are possible.
- Do you have a better idea of the actually usable BW? Some tests with a proper funcgen, properly hooked up, sine/saw/square?
see my posts in this thread. I used a Juntek PSG9080, a uni-t DG20252 and a MAX2870 chip.
- Can you deal with the UI? I imagine using a scope without pots/encoders is always a bit of a pain, but how does this unit hold up in actual use?
No problems. The buttons are still a little hard to press, but nothing worse. I've suggested some extra functions :
Could a long press CH1/CH2 button enable/disable the signal?
Could a long press on the triggerbutton cycle through the trigger modes?
Could a long press on orig-button cycle through coupling mode of the active channel?

for the buttons, maybe they will add them in.
One thing that is really cumbersome for my fat fingers is getting the probes locked in.
I've modified my DPOX to have the signal generator output to the bottom, just like on the Zeeweii DSO2512G
- Do you own or plan on buying any of the alternatives in the same price range (OWON HDS242/HDS272, upcoming Zoyi ZT-703S, DSO2512G, Hantek 2C42)? Any you'd prefer over this unit?
I have an Owon HDS272S (which works better than the DPOX). The Zeewei is better for getting the probes locked in, better for FFT and has video output.
If the price and functionality are right for the ZT-703S I will buy one. I really like the multimeter part, but the scope mode should have a duty cycle measurement.
And I have a legion better: the MICSIG STO1004. The digital phosphor is much better there (and the whole UI is very pleasant to use). But of course you pay more $$$.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2023, 03:17:20 pm by RAPo »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf