Author Topic: Possible reasons *not* to get an analog oscilloscope  (Read 13511 times)

0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline BillyO

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3198
  • Country: ca
Re: Possible reasons *not* to get an analog oscilloscope
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2026, 03:46:57 pm »
Same as power tools. Believe it or not, people used to drill holes with drill devices the had no power except the operator.
Again, going back to that is not going to happen.

Well, same as analog scopes, some people enjoy that on occasion. Not me, but I know people. ;)
I do frequently.  Using a set of pin vices with drill bits in them to drill out holes in strip board or to cut strips.  It's way more efficient than getting up and going to the drill press every time you need to make a 1mm hole into a 1.2mm hole.
Bill
----
 

Online voltsandjolts

  • Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 3778
  • Country: gb
Re: Possible reasons *not* to get an analog oscilloscope
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2026, 03:57:43 pm »
Believe it or not, people used to drill holes with drill devices the had no power except the operator.
Again, going back to that is not going to happen.

Never say never.
It may well happen at the next Carrington event.
 
The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Online TimFox

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 11912
  • Country: us
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
Re: Possible reasons *not* to get an analog oscilloscope
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2026, 04:09:13 pm »
A good hand-crank drill, with proper bearings and gears, is very useful.
Both for careful drilling, where speed is not an issue, or other uses, including twisting multiple wires into short cables.
I also keep a #60 drill bit in a pin vise handy for use with THT boards.
 

Offline madires

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 9190
  • Country: de
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
Re: Possible reasons *not* to get an analog oscilloscope
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2026, 04:25:18 pm »
Plus it weighs > 20 lbs.
Compare that to any of the flyweight DSOs available.

HM1508-2: 5.6 kg
 

Offline nonius_

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 168
  • Country: nl
Re: Possible reasons *not* to get an analog oscilloscope
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2026, 04:26:56 pm »
Quote
[BillyO]I do frequently.
So do I. The egg-beaters, cheast-drill, brace-and-bit, Stanley Yankee pump-action screwdrivers see regular use here. Same with the Stanley-Bailey planes, hand router or hand saws. They aren't just there for show or nostalgia - they are used because they're often the most effective and efficient solution. It's only very rarely that I use anything but that Yankee #130B to drive screws with. Egg beater drills for the small holes (or even that Yankee pump drill); and for driving BIG lag bolts or screws, nothing beats a brace.

Same with the bicycles that are my daily transportation to/from work (21km/day), to haul groceries, and even for recreation and longer rides to friends further away (that's where the recumbent gets used). If I need to haul stuff, there are two trailers I have. If that doesn't suffice, then and only then will the car get out of its garage. The car saw 1364km of use over the past two years (last week it had to go on its bi-annual check-up/MOT).

And yes, when it rains you get wet on a bicycle. Not the end of the world. Unless you're a cat :)

The remark by 2N3055 showed a lot of bias w.r.t. to hand tools and bicycles, but that's fine, he's entitled to that. It's not my job to correct his misconceptions. And this thread about oscilloscopes isn't the really the place for that either.

But anyone who has ever drilled a large hole in wood with a brace and sharp bit will never again resort to an electrical drill with a spade bit. Problem is that most people have no clue how efficient hand tools are when they're sharp.

But hey, what do I know about hand-tools or bicycles anyway.... :)
set SCE to AUX
 

Offline Zero999

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 22422
  • Country: gb
  • 0999
Re: Possible reasons *not* to get an analog oscilloscope
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2026, 04:33:24 pm »
I have two in my spare bedroom which I haven't used since I bought a digital oscilloscope.

I want to get rid of them, but don't have the heart to throw them away. One of them is designed for the US and requires 120V. I used to use it with a transformer which I now use for my Hako soldering iron. You can have it for the cost of shipping (send me a private message) but it will probably be cheaper for you to buy one in the USA.
 
The following users thanked this post: Performa01

Offline 2N3055

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8746
  • Country: hr
Re: Possible reasons *not* to get an analog oscilloscope
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2026, 04:38:00 pm »
Quote
Digital scope supersedes them by being able to do everything they can, and up that with literally hundreds of other things they bring to the game

The things which an average Joe would use of what, 2% or less?

Single capture and saving of the image. Decoding of simple serial protocols. Zoom mode. Triggers other than edge.

Those alone are enough.
"Just hard work is not enough - it must be applied sensibly."
Dr. Richard W. Hamming
 
The following users thanked this post: Performa01

Online negativ3

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 559
  • Country: th
Re: Possible reasons *not* to get an analog oscilloscope
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2026, 04:40:43 pm »
Quote
[BillyO]I do frequently.
So do I. The egg-beaters, cheast-drill, brace-and-bit, Stanley Yankee pump-action screwdrivers see regular use here. Same with the Stanley-Bailey planes, hand router or hand saws. They aren't just there for show or nostalgia - they are used because they're often the most effective and efficient solution. It's only very rarely that I use anything but that Yankee #130B to drive screws with. Egg beater drills for the small holes (or even that Yankee pump drill); and for driving BIG lag bolts or screws, nothing beats a brace.

Same with the bicycles that are my daily transportation to/from work (21km/day), to haul groceries, and even for recreation and longer rides to friends further away (that's where the recumbent gets used). If I need to haul stuff, there are two trailers I have. If that doesn't suffice, then and only then will the car get out of its garage. The car saw 1364km of use over the past two years (last week it had to go on its bi-annual check-up/MOT).

And yes, when it rains you get wet on a bicycle. Not the end of the world. Unless you're a cat :)

The remark by 2N3055 showed a lot of bias w.r.t. to hand tools and bicycles, but that's fine, he's entitled to that. It's not my job to correct his misconceptions. And this thread about oscilloscopes isn't the really the place for that either.

But anyone who has ever drilled a large hole in wood with a brace and sharp bit will never again resort to an electrical drill with a spade bit. Problem is that most people have no clue how efficient hand tools are when they're sharp.

But hey, what do I know about hand-tools or bicycles anyway.... :)

Does a collection of saws have a name, like a murder of crows?
 

Offline 2N3055

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8746
  • Country: hr
Re: Possible reasons *not* to get an analog oscilloscope
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2026, 04:45:42 pm »

The remark by 2N3055 showed a lot of bias w.r.t. to hand tools and bicycles, but that's fine, he's entitled to that. It's not my job to correct his misconceptions. And this thread about oscilloscopes isn't the really the place for that either.


No bias and no misconceptions. I live in a very narrow streets city on the face of the mountain where it rains all the time. Bicycle is useless. People living in rural places in the flat fields of Slavonia in Croatia use bicycle all the time, and it works well there.

As for getting wet, I've served in the army.. If I get wet when I am on the way to home, I don't care. But going to work, to a meeting, shopping center, where I am going to be wet for hours? Thank you, I pass.

And cherry picking using special drill in real wood is exactly what I expected to hear. Now take that drill and drill in steel. So much about generalizing from speciall cases..
« Last Edit: September 05, 2026, 04:50:21 pm by 2N3055 »
"Just hard work is not enough - it must be applied sensibly."
Dr. Richard W. Hamming
 
The following users thanked this post: KungFuJosh

Offline 2N3055

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8746
  • Country: hr
Re: Possible reasons *not* to get an analog oscilloscope
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2026, 04:47:42 pm »
Does a collection of saws have a name, like a murder of crows?

Maybe a pack of saws... They do have awfully lot of teeth...
« Last Edit: September 05, 2026, 04:50:47 pm by 2N3055 »
"Just hard work is not enough - it must be applied sensibly."
Dr. Richard W. Hamming
 

Offline nonius_

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 168
  • Country: nl
Re: Possible reasons *not* to get an analog oscilloscope
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2026, 04:49:24 pm »
Quote
Does a collection of saws have a name, like a murder of crows?
I don't know, but it's called a 'saw till', so there's a commonality with birds, yes. ;)
Quote
[2N3055]So much about generalizing from speciall cases..
I think it was you that was making general statements w.r.t. hand drills. As for the hills and rainy narrow streets in Croatia, I don't live there. Guess that was another invalid generalization you made about bicycles.

No skin off my back though :)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2026, 04:53:00 pm by nonius_ »
set SCE to AUX
 
The following users thanked this post: negativ3

Offline BillyO

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3198
  • Country: ca
Re: Possible reasons *not* to get an analog oscilloscope
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2026, 04:50:29 pm »
Does a collection of saws have a name, like a murder of crows?

Maybe a pack of saws... They to have awfully lot of teeth...
How about a sawyers set?
Bill
----
 

Offline BillyO

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3198
  • Country: ca
Re: Possible reasons *not* to get an analog oscilloscope
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2026, 04:59:38 pm »
Same with the bicycles that are my daily transportation to/from work (21km/day), to haul groceries, and even for recreation and longer rides to friends further away (that's where the recumbent gets used).
Since my wife retired we now used bicycles (actually class 1 e-bikes) a lot.  We live about 8km from the local grocery store, so using a car, by the time you get it started up, warmed up, etc.. you spend somewhere around $3-$4 (or $5 if we take the truck) in gas to pick up groceries and get nearly zero exercise.  The car round trip takes about 30 minutes if you know exactly what you want.  On the bicycles, it takes about 10 minutes longer, costs practically nothing and you get a good deal of exercise.
Bill
----
 
The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Online negativ3

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 559
  • Country: th
Re: Possible reasons *not* to get an analog oscilloscope
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2026, 05:00:02 pm »
Quote
Does a collection of saws have a name, like a murder of crows?
I don't know, but it's called a 'saw till', so there's a commonality with birds, yes. ;)
Quote
[2N3055]So much about generalizing from speciall cases..
I think it was you that was making general statements w.r.t. hand drills. As for the hills and rainy narrow streets in Croatia, I don't live there. Guess that was another invalid generalization you made about bicycles.

No skin off my back though :)

A Massacre of Chainsaws works but is off topic already  ;D
 

Offline tautech

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 31963
  • Country: nz
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Possible reasons *not* to get an analog oscilloscope
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2026, 05:10:47 pm »
Quote
Does a collection of saws have a name, like a murder of crows?
I don't know, but it's called a 'saw till', so there's a commonality with birds, yes. ;)
Quote
[2N3055]So much about generalizing from speciall cases..
I think it was you that was making general statements w.r.t. hand drills. As for the hills and rainy narrow streets in Croatia, I don't live there. Guess that was another invalid generalization you made about bicycles.

No skin off my back though :)
A Nest of saws seems to ring a bell from the lifetime ago when I swung a hammer.

Still got many old carpenters tools too but power tools have replaced many to provide a better and faster job….much like modern TE.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
 

Online themadhippy

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4549
  • Country: gb
Re: Possible reasons *not* to get an analog oscilloscope
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2026, 05:53:29 pm »
Quote
But anyone who has ever drilled a large hole in wood with a brace and sharp bit will never again resort to an electrical drill with a spade bit.
yea right,in my past ive had the "pleasure" of drilling 25mm holes in joists with a brace and bit ,and  no way would i choose that method over an electric drill
 

Offline madires

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 9190
  • Country: de
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
Re: Possible reasons *not* to get an analog oscilloscope
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2026, 06:05:00 pm »
I'd use a Forstner drill bit.
 
The following users thanked this post: TimFox, 2N3055

Offline 2N3055

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8746
  • Country: hr
Re: Possible reasons *not* to get an analog oscilloscope
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2026, 06:08:18 pm »
I'd use a Forstner drill bit.
Yes, forstner and aku drill.
"Just hard work is not enough - it must be applied sensibly."
Dr. Richard W. Hamming
 

Online KungFuJosh

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8278
  • Country: us
  • TEAS is real.
Re: Possible reasons *not* to get an analog oscilloscope
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2026, 06:09:14 pm »
I do frequently.  Using a set of pin vices with drill bits in them to drill out holes in strip board or to cut strips.  It's way more efficient than getting up and going to the drill press every time you need to make a 1mm hole into a 1.2mm hole.
Now that you mention it, I do have a set of those I use for rework on occasion.

And cherry picking using special drill in real wood is exactly what I expected to hear. Now take that drill and drill in steel. So much about generalizing from speciall cases..
I was just teasing, but the derailment was expected and entertaining. ;)
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright
Best Continuity Tester Ever
 
The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Offline BillyO

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3198
  • Country: ca
Re: Possible reasons *not* to get an analog oscilloscope
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2026, 06:09:56 pm »
I'd use a Forstner drill bit.
Depends on what type of hole you need.  If you need a nice flat bottomed, precision hole (maybe for a dowel), then reach for the Forstner bit.  However, if you are just drilling holes in joists for wiring, then a spade bit is cheaper and faster.
Bill
----
 

Offline 2N3055

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8746
  • Country: hr
Re: Possible reasons *not* to get an analog oscilloscope
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2026, 06:12:09 pm »
I'd use a Forstner drill bit.
Depends on what type of hole you need.  If you need a nice flat bottomed, precision hole (maybe for a dowel), then reach for the Forstner bit.  However, if you are just drilling holes in joists for wiring, then a spade bit is cheaper and faster.

Tool for the job. But spade drill I still put into accu handheld drill.
"Just hard work is not enough - it must be applied sensibly."
Dr. Richard W. Hamming
 

Offline BillyO

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3198
  • Country: ca
Re: Possible reasons *not* to get an analog oscilloscope
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2026, 06:13:55 pm »
Of course.  It's bloody tough to get a brace between joists!
Bill
----
 

Offline 2N3055

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8746
  • Country: hr
Re: Possible reasons *not* to get an analog oscilloscope
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2026, 06:44:49 pm »
Aside all digressions (which I am guilty of too) in this now very dilapidated topic, I still stand to my recomendation.

If you are going to have only one scope buy modern digital one. There is no comparison, except in some very cringe places.
General recommendation is not absolute truth. There is no recommendation that will hold 100%. But in general, it will hold to 99% of use cases today.
For those 1% people, they already know what to do and they do not come here for advice.
I know many people that still have analog CRT scopes and they are being used very rarely, if ever.
I am talking about people that do the work and use scopes for actual work.

I also have a friend that as a hobby collects old CRT scopes. Scopes are the hobby for him, not a tool. Good for him.
My recommendation is not for him, but for the people (like OP) that ask why should they not get analog scope.
You should not get one because you don't need it. It does not solve any problems decent new digital one does not. And even better.

If on the other hand you like them and they are cool to you (I know I do!), you have space and money, sure get one. Because in that case it is not important if you are goin to use it at all for something useful. God knows how many hand tools I have that get used rarely, and even then I used it just because it was cool to use it, although I could use something else. As an example, when I was kid, I only few pliers and few screwdrivers. I was striping wires with diagonal cutters for years. You get good at it. Now, I swear I have like 10 tools that can strip isolation. Do I need all those, really? Not all of them. It is just my thing. I like tools. So I am not judging here. But rationally, 50% of my tools are redundant.

So yeah if you are hellbent to get analog CRT just because, why even have this discussion? If you prefer driving bicycle go for it. And don't mind me in the car being in warm and dry.
"Just hard work is not enough - it must be applied sensibly."
Dr. Richard W. Hamming
 
The following users thanked this post: DimitriP, nonius_

Offline Conrad Hoffman

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 2296
  • Country: us
    • The Messy Basement
Re: Possible reasons *not* to get an analog oscilloscope
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2026, 08:15:10 pm »
I loved my two Tek 545Bs and a 7000-series storage mainframe, plus bunches of plug-ins for both. But it got to the point where I couldn't lift them for service, and they were taking up too much space. I gave it all away and got a nice Siglent. Also gave away all my signal generators... and got a nice Siglent.

However, I find it so convenient to have a scope on a scope cart that I did a few mods and went with this-
 
The following users thanked this post: Performa01, 2N3055, KungFuJosh

Offline Uup

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 105
  • Country: au
Re: Possible reasons *not* to get an analog oscilloscope
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2026, 02:22:42 am »
.........................
But I agree, if DSO's would finally get XY-mode right, that would be very nice!
..............
You haven't been keeping up to date so some study is waiting for you:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/oscilloscope-music-on-dsos-post-your-results/

I somewhat agree with nonius, though I don't think it could improve much more than it currently has.

An ancient Tek 465 or a 1980's budget tier CRO can outperform Siglent's best in XY mode, in terms of visualisation.

Even in the time domain there are use cases where a CRO can visualise a signal significantly better than a DSO.

Having said that, I haven't had a CRO permanently in my lineup in over 20 years and only (reluctantly) drag out my CRO when I absolutely need to.
 


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->