Author Topic: Rigol DHO800/900 Oscilloscope Bug Reports + Firmware  (Read 81290 times)

Offline axantas

• Regular Contributor
Re: Rigol DHO800/900 Oscilloscope Bug Reports + Firmware
« Reply #425 on: February 08, 2024, 04:58:32 pm »
Ah, so then mine must be older. Any idea how to see the full version number?

Good question. Just checked the WebInterface. It is truncated as well.
Firmware Revision:   00.01.02

There might be more information via the SCPI commandline - knowing the right spell...

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #426 on: February 08, 2024, 05:43:14 pm »

There might be more information via the SCPI commandline - knowing the right spell...

Press "About" three times.

The following users thanked this post: shapirus, AceyTech

Offline Randy222

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #427 on: February 08, 2024, 05:46:34 pm »

I can't find SCPI that pulls out full version.

Look at the "build date" in Utility --> About

Match to closest date from release notes.

Code: [Select]
v00.01.02.00.02  2023/12/28
v00.01.02.00.01  2023/12/5
v00.01.02.00.00  2023/11/2
v00.01.01.00.02 2023/09/12
v00.01.01.00.01  2023/08/10
v00.01.00.00.19  2023/07/24

Sorry. Fungus posted while I was typing.  ;)
so use chart, or do like Fungus said.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2024, 05:49:36 pm by Randy222 »

Offline Randy222

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #428 on: February 08, 2024, 05:58:35 pm »
3 taps the ABOUT menu item puts unit into "TestModel:On" mode, whatever that means.

3-tap it, then go to "Other", now you have HDMI settings. By default hdmi appears to be "DSP on", assume "DSP" means display. No need to have it on if you are not using hdmi.

Or does "DSP" mean digital sound processor:-//     I didn't actually test it, I don't use hdmi port.

Offline axantas

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #429 on: February 08, 2024, 06:08:21 pm »
Any more easter eggs? 
...like "add all possible licenses for free" :-DD

but thank you for these shortcuts. Do not tell mit, it is just RTFM  :palm:

Or does "DSP" mean digital sound processor ?  :-//     I didn't actually test it, I don't use hdmi port.
7CH Audio with 3D immersive Video - if you have one of these Apple glasses  :popcorn:
DSP is usually Digital Signal Processor - but nevertheless an interesting find.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2024, 06:17:00 pm by axantas »

Offline Randy222

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #430 on: February 08, 2024, 06:58:35 pm »
Any more easter eggs? 
...like "add all possible licenses for free" :-DD

but thank you for these shortcuts. Do not tell mit, it is just RTFM  :palm:

Or does "DSP" mean digital sound processor ?  :-//     I didn't actually test it, I don't use hdmi port.
7CH Audio with 3D immersive Video - if you have one of these Apple glasses  :popcorn:
DSP is usually Digital Signal Processor - but nevertheless an interesting find.
Add one small binary onto the DHO, creates all the lics. That's in the hacking thread.  :-+

I didn't read the manual, not one page, at least not yet.  ;)

Offline axantas

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #431 on: February 08, 2024, 07:37:35 pm »
Poking around is  more interesting, indeed. I should cultivate this even more - as long as things are not exploding...

I alreday learned (and poked) a lot from the hacking thread and the experts here - impressed in al humbleness.  :clap:

The following users thanked this post: AceyTech

Offline AceyTech

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #432 on: February 09, 2024, 04:30:32 am »
3 taps the ABOUT menu item puts unit into "TestModel:On" mode, whatever that means.

"That means" the same as it means by tapping "build number" in Android settings menu.

But alas, I digress in the Bug thread.  Sorry y'all.  Couldn't resist.   >:D
« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 05:54:38 am by AceyTech »

Online shapirus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #433 on: February 09, 2024, 02:10:19 pm »
Not sure if it was mentioned already, but is this reproducible on other firmware and hardware versions, can anyone check this? Mine is an 804 updated to 924, so I wonder if maybe it's because of this (but I doubt that).

Basically the bug is that it fails to change the source channel of a measured parameter:

This really sucks, and it also sucks that there is no quick button to change the source channel for all (or chosen) measurements.

p.s. is there any way to remove those icons in the "Result" panel that do nothing except occupying an extra row of precious vertical space for each item? Just like the Counter looks when it's added to this panel.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #434 on: February 09, 2024, 02:26:47 pm »
p.s. is there any way to remove those icons in the "Result" panel that do nothing except occupying an extra row of precious vertical space for each item? Just like the Counter looks when it's added to this panel.

Giving the item a finger-swipe to the right is the quickest way. (That's assuming that the DHO800 behaves the same here as the DHO1000 I had.)

The following users thanked this post: shapirus

Offline AndyBig

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #435 on: February 09, 2024, 03:26:18 pm »
Not sure if it was mentioned already, but is this reproducible on other firmware and hardware versions, can anyone check this? Mine is an 804 updated to 924, so I wonder if maybe it's because of this (but I doubt that).

Basically the bug is that it fails to change the source channel of a measured parameter:

This really sucks, and it also sucks that there is no quick button to change the source channel for all (or chosen) measurements.
Yes, I also encountered this inconvenience.
Swiping an icon on the panel to the right removes this icon from the panel.

Online shapirus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #436 on: February 09, 2024, 04:24:49 pm »
Giving the item a finger-swipe to the right is the quickest way. (That's assuming that the DHO800 behaves the same here as the DHO1000 I had.)
It removes the entire item, not just the header icon:

This icon serves no useful purpose, because it's too tiny to be readable and because the widget already has the name of the parameter in text; at the same time it wastes a whole row which could have been used for something of value otherwise.

I think it's hardcoded in the apk, though, and there's no easy way to get rid of it.

p.s. using cyan and blue in the same palette for channel colors is totally stupid. Is it a case of UI developers not using the product a single time? It's an immediately obvious issue. Not to mention that the probes coming with the scope have green and cyan marking rings, but not blue and cyan! And to modify them, it's required to rebuild the main apk, which is possible, but it's not yet clear whether signing it will be a problem.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #437 on: February 09, 2024, 04:30:32 pm »
It removes the entire item, not just the header icon:

Oh -- yes, it does. Sorry, I misunderstood your question then. I don't think you can remove just the little icon.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #438 on: February 09, 2024, 04:57:09 pm »
The DHO1000 shows the measurements much more compactly, especially with stats on, you can fit a lot more of them vertically.

I'm not sure why the DHO800/DHO900 don't do it the same way.

THAT would be a good hack...  :)

Offline levesqs

« Reply #439 on: February 11, 2024, 09:10:15 pm »
Hi 
I continue to explore the HDO924s vs the ds1054z showing features and some bugs on both. Last video here compare the memory capture feature.
So far the bugs that hits me so far on 924s is the failure to decode or display ASCII stream. The pass/fail stop and display the current triggered packet which is a real bug that need fixing and here some display issue when zooming on the recorded packet. 

Offline rifkum

• Contributor
« Reply #440 on: February 12, 2024, 01:16:02 pm »

@Randy222,
I'm actually enjoying reading the manual (full and quick start guide) as I came from a Rigol DS1054z and felt like a fish out of water, without all the buttons.
It's making a lot more sense now and feeling much more comfortable with the DHO804.

Cheers
dm
« Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 01:20:13 pm by rifkum »

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #441 on: February 12, 2024, 01:24:10 pm »
@Randy222,
I'm actually enjoying reading the manual (full and quick start guide) as I came from a Rigol DS1054z and felt like a fish out of water, without all the buttons.
It's making a lot more sense now and feeling much more comfortable with the DHO804.

I don't think Randy222 is interested in using the scope.  ;)
He's more into the Android under the hood, which is not covered in the manual anyway...

Online shapirus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #442 on: February 12, 2024, 01:31:11 pm »
Has anyone noticed a slight DC offset (with the probes disconnected) in the lower ranges, regardless of whether DC or AC coupling is selected? It's visible in the waveform display, but best seen if you turn on the measurement of Vavg. Set the channel's probe divider setting to 1x, then set vertical scale to ~5mv/div, and it's already seen there: the reading is consistently above zero.

Now, the weirdest part of this, which indicates that this offset is a software bug, is that as you continue to zoom in from 5mv/div all the way down to 200uV/div, it becomes more visible, but if, when already at the lowest scale of 200uV/div, you turn the encoder clockwise once more, the offset becomes zero! The Vavg reading starts jumping between +/- a few uV, like it should. But once you begin to zoom out, the small offset reappears.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #443 on: February 12, 2024, 05:33:23 pm »
Has anyone noticed a slight DC offset (with the probes disconnected) in the lower ranges, regardless of whether DC or AC coupling is selected?

Have you tried self-cal?

Offline Randy222

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #444 on: February 12, 2024, 05:44:36 pm »
Has anyone noticed a slight DC offset (with the probes disconnected) in the lower ranges, regardless of whether DC or AC coupling is selected?

Have you tried self-cal?
If you "gnd" the probe input in the app probe-setting, still an offset? What if you put a terminator on the BNC?

Online shapirus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #445 on: February 12, 2024, 06:37:25 pm »
Have you tried self-cal?
Yes, and more than once. No effect.
Haven't tried self-cal with PE connected, though, but not sure if it'll help (or rather I expect it to have no effect). Will try this when I make an extension cord to connect to mains earth.

If you "gnd" the probe input in the app probe-setting, still an offset?
Yes, about one pixel above zero. And when I rotate the vertical scale encoder, it jumps to exactly zero when it switches and stays there for a fraction of second, then moves back one pixel above.

What if you put a terminator on the BNC?
That's what I tried it with. Not really a terminator (don't have one), just a 51 Ohm resistor across the input BNC.
Using the PE cable to connect chassis to the earth ground directly reduces noise, but does nothing to the offset.

Same behavior on Ch2.

Here's what I see on the screen (probe set to 1x in channel settings, 51 Ohm resistor in the input jack).

1. 10mV, below zero.

2. 5mV, above zero this time.

(5mV to 500uV -- pretty much the same up and down, never exactly zero)

3. 500uV

4. 200uV, the offset is very clear now

5. One clockwise step of the vertical scale encoder -- still 200uV, but now the offset becomes negative!

This offset might at least be understandable, but what the heck happens when I switch from 200uV to 200uV? It's supposed to do nothing in this case, and yet there is something mysterious going on under the hood. That's why I suspect some kind of firmware bug here.

Of course it must be made clear that it's a 804 which thinks that it's a 924. This may lead to some side effects. That's why I wonder if anyone else can reproduce this with the same setup.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 06:40:22 pm by shapirus »

Offline AndyBig

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #446 on: February 12, 2024, 11:24:21 pm »

This offset might at least be understandable, but what the heck happens when I switch from 200uV to 200uV? It's supposed to do nothing in this case, and yet there is something mysterious going on under the hood. That's why I suspect some kind of firmware bug here.

Of course it must be made clear that it's a 804 which thinks that it's a 924. This may lead to some side effects. That's why I wonder if anyone else can reproduce this with the same setup.
I noticed this behavior and even described it somewhere here (perhaps in another topic). The 200 µV offset jump is caused by the 20 MHz bandwidth limitation being activated. When you switch from 500 to 200 µV, band limiting is activated and this causes a sharp offset. When the encoder is turned again, a new range switch occurs (from the software point of view), from 200 µV to 200 µV, but since the bandwidth limitation is already activated, the offset does not jump, it returns to its “native” value.
This effect can be observed on other bands by simply turning the 20 MHz bandwidth limit on and off in the channel settings. At different ranges this effect is expressed to varying degrees. And it is also different on different channels.

Offline Lathe26

• Contributor
« Reply #447 on: February 13, 2024, 05:34:46 am »
Hi 
I continue to explore the HDO924s vs the ds1054z showing features and some bugs on both. Last video here compare the memory capture feature.
So far the bugs that hits me so far on 924s is the failure to decode or display ASCII stream. The pass/fail stop and display the current triggered packet which is a real bug that need fixing and here some display issue when zooming on the recorded packet. 

Maybe I missed it, but what firmware version are you experiencing the pass/fail bugs on?  I have not looked into this feature and am curious.

Offline Ivan7enych

• Regular Contributor
    • My astronomy projects
« Reply #448 on: February 13, 2024, 08:16:30 am »
RS232 decoder is very unstable and buggy.
I've checked RS232 decoder on 3 oscilloscopes on one case, where 2 chips communicate (Tx and Rx) on the same wire with very small delay between packets.

Agilent MSO-X3000 easily handles small delay, Rigol MSO5000 decodes Rx and Tx packets fine,
but Rigol HDO804 decodes only 1st packet (request), and completely ignores long second packet (response). Small delay completely ruins it's decoder.

Offline maxspb69

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #449 on: February 13, 2024, 10:27:55 am »
The RS232 and other decoders works very stably. The problem is that setting the threshold level in the decoder parameters has an error. Switch the probe to 1:1 mode, set 1:1 probe ratio in the channel settings and make sure that everything works ok.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf