Author Topic: Rigol MSO 5000 hardware/software revisions  (Read 67057 times)

Offline NoisyBoyTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Rigol MSO 5000 hardware/software revisions
« Reply #400 on: December 11, 2021, 06:20:08 pm »
Sorry guys, I haven't been on this forum for many months.  I found something interesting on the Rigol US website, under the MSO5000, while the download page showed version 01.03.00.01 as the latest, when I clicked on the Release Note, it shows:

v00.01.03.00.03 2021/10/18

- Optimized waveform display in XY mode.
      - Optimized the DC gain calibration algorithm.
      - The La channel is decoded in parallel, which solved the problem of decoding
         error in negative polarity.

Looks like it addresses some of the common issues many have discussed.  The GEL file has a date 10/17/21. 

Oops, please ignore this, the topic is actively being discussed at another thread:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hacking-the-rigol-mso5000-series-oscilloscopes/msg3825071/#msg3825071
« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 06:43:10 pm by NoisyBoy »

Offline vutt

• Contributor
« Reply #401 on: June 02, 2022, 07:55:30 pm »
Rigol official amazon.de shop is selling atm 2 different MSO5074 versions with different EAN numbers, but with exactly the same price.
EAN 4053199916733 https://www.amazon.de/50000Wfms-MSO5000-BND-Oscilloscope-Included-Multi-Touch/dp/B07PC2B7CY
EAN 6973332403310 https://www.amazon.de/50000Wfms-MSO5000-BND-Oscilloscope-Included-Multi-Touch/dp/B08TB1V9W5

Are we dealing with different HW revisions here? Are there any differences applying "DIY Licensing bundle"?
Edit: Skimmed quickly trough this thread - it looks like there is only one HW version - 01.01.000 
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 07:59:37 pm by vutt »

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #402 on: June 02, 2022, 08:42:51 pm »
Are there any differences applying "DIY Licensing bundle"?

The "bundles" are FW version related, not HW related.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #403 on: February 01, 2023, 05:20:19 pm »
Rigol just released a version of the 1.03.02.02 on the US website.  When you do the actual download, the file name is MSO5_FW_V1_1_4_4, the upgrade instruction.txt file is still gibberish, likely in a different language.  For the actual GEL file, the checksum was exactly the same as the one in the Chinese site which disappeared earlier.  They never had a professional discipline in managing firmware update when the MSO5000 came out, sadly this trend continues years later. 

Here is the change log, also the same as before:
v00.01.03.02.02 2023/01/04

- Add shortcut button and VNC remote function
    - Waveform, cursor movement, gesture operation vertical and horizontal gear switching speed optimization
    - Cursor optimization: cursor jump optimization, ZOOM area and main time base cursor linkage, etc
    - The color of the CH4 waveform is modified, and the brightness of the waveform is improved
    - ZOOM mode optimization: mask color adjustment, switching speed, area movement optimization
    - SCPI instruction response speed optimization: reset, measurement, waveform read instruction response optimization

While the file is the same as before, at least now you are downloading this patch from the official firmware download site.  So hopefully we will get some support from Rigol in case the upgrade fails. 

Some have reported upgrade failure with this version, this is unfortunate, but not entirely unexpected given Rigol's careless approach to firmware and updates.  To help all in the community who wants the upgrade, can we start a log of your experience in upgrading to firmware 1.:

* Upgrade successful vs. upgrade failed
* Reset to factory default required, vs. not required.
* Hardware version
* Was your scope "hacked/enhanced" with patch file before the upgrade
* Any extra steps taken to perform upgrade

Thank you, let's see if we can get to the bottom of this. 
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 05:24:20 pm by NoisyBoy »

Offline ken830

• Contributor
« Reply #404 on: February 14, 2023, 12:51:41 am »
Received MSO5072 today from Saelig

HW revision: 01.00.000
last self-cal ran on 2019/3/29.
FW 00.01.01.04.04
Boot: 2018.06.27

Wow.. Old stock?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #405 on: February 14, 2023, 12:59:06 am »
I would think so, I have not seen 1.00.00 for many years now.  Just make sure you have a recent calibration certificate with it.  There is no benefit to be on a later revision level that I know of.

Offline ken830

• Contributor
« Reply #406 on: February 14, 2023, 11:13:55 am »
I would think so, I have not seen 1.00.00 for many years now.  Just make sure you have a recent calibration certificate with it.  There is no benefit to be on a later revision level that I know of.

Calibration certificate says it was performed 2019/4/1 and due 2020/2/29!! That seems a bit too old, right?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #407 on: February 14, 2023, 10:33:38 pm »
I would share this with Saelig, they are usually good at taking care of their clients.  Typically for a new piece of equipment where calibration is important or expensive, it should have a current calibration.  Three years beyond the due date is definitely worth a call.

According to Rigol:
RIGOL has determined that the factory calibration of our instruments are not significantly affected by storage of up to 180 days before first-time use.  Cal Interval should start at the time the unit is placed in service OR 180 days past the "Date of Calibration" on the certificate received with the unit.

Perhaps they can set up something for you to have it calibrated at one of Rigol's calibration partner, or to do an exchange, or give you a discount. 

The following users thanked this post: ken830

Offline ken830

• Contributor
« Reply #408 on: February 15, 2023, 12:42:50 am »
Yes. I sent and e-mail to their sales team informing them that the calibration from nearly 4 years ago is well expired on the brand-new equipment I just received. They've had all day, but I haven't heard back yet. Hopefully, they will offer a fair resolution.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #409 on: February 15, 2023, 03:40:40 pm »
The calibration isn't worth much with an oscilloscope anyway. It's not a multimeter, it has a self-cal button.

You're supposed to use it before any critical measurement or if the ambient temperature changes by a couple of degrees.

(in some places that means you have to self-cal in the morning and again in the afternoon when the sun is up...)

Offline ken830

• Contributor
« Reply #410 on: February 15, 2023, 07:11:34 pm »
Well, the calibration isn't worth much to me, but the newer hardware is. I believe the MSO5000 series was released at the very end of 2018 and this scope was manufactured at the beginning of 2019, 4 years ago. To me, this feels like it's from one of the very first batches. I'm also seeing some weird behavior that is difficult to tell if it is hardware or firmware related.

Saelig just issued an RMA so I'm definitely going to take it.

The following users thanked this post: Fungus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #411 on: February 15, 2023, 10:24:21 pm »
I am glad they took care of it. 

Your scope was roughly the same date as the one I have, from what I recall, the early production had very noisy fans.  It was supposed to be fixed by the time your scope was produced, as the noise from mine was acceptable, not loud. 

Not sure what you mean by strange behavior, but in any event, I am glad you are getting it replaced.  I agree with Fungas scope calibration is not as critical, but I also see the point that when you buy something new, you should expect something that was manufactured fairly recently, and not 4 years ago.  The scope was in high demand back in those days, and there was a wait for delivery, so I am surprised that they found one of that vintage in inventory, it might have been tucked away in the wrong corner and they just located it during an inventory check. 

Offline ken830

• Contributor
« Reply #412 on: February 16, 2023, 02:40:17 am »
I am glad they took care of it. 

Your scope was roughly the same date as the one I have, from what I recall, the early production had very noisy fans.  It was supposed to be fixed by the time your scope was produced, as the noise from mine was acceptable, not loud. 

Not sure what you mean by strange behavior, but in any event, I am glad you are getting it replaced.  I agree with Fungas scope calibration is not as critical, but I also see the point that when you buy something new, you should expect something that was manufactured fairly recently, and not 4 years ago.  The scope was in high demand back in those days, and there was a wait for delivery, so I am surprised that they found one of that vintage in inventory, it might have been tucked away in the wrong corner and they just located it during an inventory check.

The fan is easily audible, but I don't know if it's "loud" or not, since I've only used scopes in loud workplace lab environments over the last 23 years, so I have no reference. Not a big deal to me either way.

The funny behavior was something I noticed on the very first boot with old FW, but I have the latest FW and it still does it occasionally (maybe 1 out of every 4 boots??). Here are channels 1 and 2 both connected to the probe compensation output. I have never seen anything like this on any scope before. The shape of the waveform also changes when I change vertical offset, when I have just a single channel enabled, and also shows up on channel 2 if channel 1 is off, which is strange. There're a lot of nuance in the behavior, but I fear it may be way off-topic for this thread. If this is not something before-seen, maybe I can start a new thread. Not sure if FW or something weird with the frontend ADCs.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #413 on: February 16, 2023, 04:40:37 am »
I assume they are each on X10 setting, and you press Auto to trigger it?  I haven’t seen anything like that myself.  Definitely a return back to the dealer.

Offline ken830

• Contributor
« Reply #414 on: February 16, 2023, 07:17:35 am »
Using stock probes, but the channels are on x1 setting because it was taken right after a full reboot and and reset to factory default -- didn't bother to change attenuation setting (it doesn't matter in this case). I didn't press Auto, just adjusted the horizontal scale. Check out one of the videos I took. The behavior is pretty wild. Maybe I need to start a new thread to see if anyone has anything I should try the next time it comes up like this before this gets returned. Apparently, Saelig had to order a scope from Rigol USA before they can replace this one, so I have some time with it still.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #415 on: February 16, 2023, 06:44:34 pm »
I would suggest not wasting any more time with it as it appears to me the scope is defective. Just pack it up and wait for the shipper to pick it up, let’s hope they can replace it for you quickly.

BTW, the MSO5000 does not have good shielding on the front end, I pick up a lot of noise if it is close to the satellites on my mesh network with nothing attached. But I doubt any noise can overpower the compensation signal in your case.

Offline Protegimus

• Contributor
« Reply #416 on: February 17, 2023, 10:34:04 pm »
v00.01.03.02.02 2023/01/04

Successful firmware update with default setting on boot (reverted from Utility > System > Power On > Last for the purpose of the update).

Observations:
1. 500uV range is no longer available on CH1 - confirmed - MAJOR - can we have this back please Rigol?
(listed under page 18, Overview of the MSO5000 Series Technical Specifications > Vertical System Analog Channel > Vertical Sensitivity Range)

2. Selecting 1mV range automatically engages 20MHz bandwidth limit, with B indicated in the channel status label
    - Rigol, please provide the technical background on why this is necessary

3. Function Navigation (on-screen icon) menu is also extended/rearranged (thanks @skander36)

4. Default Storage > Save Wave > File Name is RigolDS0 - minor
    - perhaps should reflect the correct model by default, although it can be customised

5. VNC control is awesome

6. Rigol logo changed from Rigol (yellow) to Rigol (blue)  :palm:
« Last Edit: February 18, 2023, 01:51:07 pm by Protegimus »

Offline w.v.s.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #417 on: March 18, 2023, 01:22:59 pm »

OK ...

- I can offically confirm that K&M does indeed work  :clap:

- if USB hub is plugged-in and system is rebooted  :popcorn:

Helllo,
is it really a matter of the hub? When I just connect the keyboard and reboot, It still closes every window, into which i try to enter some data. So signals are received but do not seem to be interpreted correctly.

Update: This is also the case, when I boot with a keyboard connected via a hub. However, a mouse works even it is connected to the hub after booting.

I've tested with the 0.01.03.02.02 firmware.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 01:39:21 pm by w.v.s. »

Offline Protegimus

• Contributor
« Reply #418 on: March 21, 2023, 06:19:57 pm »
Does anyone have any high resolution photo's of the MSO5000 power supply, ideally showing capacitor type & values?

I checked Dave's teardown video and  photo archive https://www.flickr.com/photos/eevblog/albums but didn't spot anything.

Rigol Service Manual MSO5000-E series attached.
Direct download here https://www.rigol.eu/Public/Uploads/uploadfile/files/ftp/%E6%96%B0%E8%B5%84%E6%96%99%E5%BA%93-%E5%90%AB%E6%89%8B%E5%86%8C%E5%9B%BA%E4%BB%B6%E8%BD%AF%E4%BB%B6/%E5%AE%98%E7%BD%91%E8%B5%84%E6%96%99/DS/%E6%89%8B%E5%86%8C/MSO5000-E/EN/MSO5000-E_ServiceGuide_EN.pdf
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 06:33:50 pm by Protegimus »

The following users thanked this post: MegaVolt

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf