Author Topic: Rigol MSO 5000 hardware/software revisions  (Read 67057 times)

Offline noreply

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Rigol MSO 5000 hardware/software revisions
« Reply #375 on: June 18, 2020, 02:48:54 pm »
So, a hub seems like a good purchase.  Can anyone confirm what works with the MSO5000?  I think it's USB 2.0 and wondered if this one from Amazon would do?

Yes, if you need to have additional devices - like flash memory to save screen capture & other possible ssh console sessions - then a small usb hub is the way to go.

I used a USB3 hub and it worked ok - so I guess the Rigol, if USB2 only, will still work with a USB3 hub because the USB3 'chipset' will still interface to USB2 - keeping in mind that the port 'activity' will be downgraded to USB2 - despite having a USB3 device plugged-in  ;)

With that in mind - I would not get a USB2 hub - instead get a USB3 hub - as it will downgrade itself to USB2 when plugged-into the Rigol

Now if you ever want to use the hub not with the Rigol - you will have a USB3 capable hub -> better than USB2  :P

The following users thanked this post: Gandalf_Sr

Offline noreply

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #376 on: June 18, 2020, 04:01:50 pm »
Just watched video review of MSO7000 (unboxing and first impressions) - Dave made some time ago  :o

At ~47min into the video - Dave starts talking about the 'dicky' layout of the fonts for the buttons & text  :blah:

After having a closer look at the 'new' MSO5000 - I'm glad to say its way better than the 7000 - Dave was right - its 'dicky' :P

So - we all good - MSO5000 series 'trumps' button text and font layout of the 7000 series :-+

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #377 on: June 25, 2020, 02:31:08 pm »
So my USB 3.0 Hub arrived and it works great.  I have the mouse dongle plugged in the end slot.
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

The following users thanked this post: tcottle

Offline AlexBbb

« Reply #378 on: June 29, 2020, 06:56:37 am »
I just got my MSO5074 delivered today:
- FW: 00.01.03.00.01
- HW: 01.01.000
- Build: 2020-03-30 // calibration date: 2nd June 2020.
I'm happy with both noise level (my laptop is noisier) and screen.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 04:43:18 am by AlexBbb »

Offline NoisyBoyTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #379 on: June 29, 2020, 05:27:19 pm »
Thanks for the info.

FYI, the Build is not the date your scope was built, it was tied to the firmware version.  The best way to approximate your actual manufactured date for your scope is the date on the cal cert.

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #380 on: July 01, 2020, 08:54:55 pm »
Anyone has a MSO5000-E ?

Code: [Select]
[Supported Model]    All the MSO5000-E Series Digital Oscilloscopes
[Latest Revision Date]  2020/04/30

[Updated Contents]
--------------------
v00.01.03.00.00 2020/04/30
     -Add bode map function
     - It solves the error of SCPI instruction reading La channel memory data
     - Optimized the connection HDMI start problem optimized the connection HDMI start problem
     - Optimize the vertical gear, channel zero elimination error
     - Optimization of the inconsistency between SPI CLK and SDA names
     - Zoom mode square wave display in optimized 2S time base
     - Added command to get pass / fail times
     - Delete the default email account and password
     - Problems in remote instructions are optimized
     - Optimized 1K storage depth, waveform recording
     - The problem of too many stuck events in optimized decoding

v00.01.01.00.03  2019/08/19

- Release the production version

Offline oliv3r

• Frequent Contributor
    • Rigol related stuff!
older MSO software versions
« Reply #381 on: August 11, 2020, 04:16:31 pm »
Hey All,

I'm trying to update the repo https://gitlab.com/riglol/rigolee/-/tree/MSO5000/GEL but seem to have missed some software versions :( I've heard that there was a v00.01.02.00.02 and a v00.01.02.00.03, but I sadly missed those.

If anybody can hook me up with those two releases, I can add them to the repo. I do have v00.01.03.00.01 :)

Repo updated with those :)

MSO-5000E seems interesting, as tv84 said, what is that? and how does it fit in with our current MSO5000? How are we looking in terms of update files for that? It looks like a butchered MS5000 with only 2 channels, and potentially a little cheaper? Only different housing?

As for the other's, I know there's no DS7000 or MSO8000 files yet, as I wasn't paying too much attention there, but I want to rectify that :) I have the latest version, but other then that nothing yet. Who can help me complete my collection there? The reason why these are important, is because of the shared code base they have ...

While off-topic; it seems that RSA3000 and RSA5000 are both zynq fpga designs made with similar software, so I'm going to start collecting those as well, but not sure if we have dedicated threads for those, feel free to point me in the right direction ;)

As for DG800 and DG900 may also be linux based, but no idea on those yet (only checked firmware sizes) so the same applies here too.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 04:46:19 pm by oliv3r »

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
Re: older MSO software versions
« Reply #382 on: August 11, 2020, 04:23:58 pm »
If anybody can hook me up with those two releases, I can add them to the repo. I do have v00.01.03.00.01 :)

See pm.

The following users thanked this post: oliv3r

Offline oliv3r

• Frequent Contributor
    • Rigol related stuff!
Re: older MSO software versions
« Reply #383 on: August 12, 2020, 05:52:45 pm »

See pm.

Thank you hero! i'll process them and uploaded a little messy now; i'll clean it up in a few months' time :)

Offline Vladamir

• Contributor
« Reply #384 on: August 15, 2020, 05:17:26 pm »
@Gandalf_Sr / other Rigol MSO5000 users, do you recommend the Rigol MSO5000 or do you suggest spending extra and buying the Siglent SDS2000X Plus?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #385 on: August 15, 2020, 07:02:33 pm »
@Gandalf_Sr / other Rigol MSO5000 users, do you recommend the Rigol MSO5000 or do you suggest spending extra and buying the Siglent SDS2000X Plus?
Watch the video from long time member Howardlong here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds2000x-plus-coming/msg3182422/#msg3182422
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Sighound36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #386 on: August 15, 2020, 08:32:41 pm »
Good to see you back in TT mode again we missed your superlative ability to push Siglent at every single  opportunity normal service has been resumed obviously the those recent shot across the bows have literally gone way over the top  ::)

Seeking quality measurement equipment at realistic cost with proper service backup. If you pay peanuts you employ monkeys.

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #387 on: August 15, 2020, 08:41:59 pm »
He just posted a comparision vid  :-//

Offline MegaVolt

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #388 on: August 15, 2020, 08:42:05 pm »
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds2104x-plus-(100mhz)-vs-keysight-dsox1204g-70mhz/

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #389 on: August 15, 2020, 08:59:23 pm »
Good to see you back in TT mode again we missed your superlative ability to push Siglent at every single  opportunity normal service has been resumed obviously the those recent shot across the bows have literally gone way over the top  ::)
:-//
Really ?
Are you trolling me ?

A question that was addressed at Gandalf_Sr whom hasn't the foggyist of how the 2kX Plus performs has been directed to a post where Howard that has both scopes and taken the trouble to make an informative head to head video where Vladamir can make up his own mind which direction he wants to go.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #390 on: August 15, 2020, 09:28:34 pm »

So someone actively asks for information on a Siglent product versus a Rigol product, and Tautech pointing them at an independant comparison video somehow qualifies as pushing "Siglent at every single  opportunity"? If it is then I'm also the bleeding Queen of Sheba and you're required to call me "Your Majesty" henceforth. Really, if you're going to publicly call someone out then decency demands that you have some actual substance to your accusations.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Sighound36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #391 on: August 16, 2020, 07:29:44 am »
Seems like I've stirred the beast   :-[ on this particular occasion I have to hold my hands up and apologise, I did not read the previous posts requesting the information that TT provided. So I am sorry for the offense caused by the comments in my post and to TT for any infurances implied in said post.
Seeking quality measurement equipment at realistic cost with proper service backup. If you pay peanuts you employ monkeys.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #392 on: August 16, 2020, 07:38:15 am »
Seems like I've stirred the beast   :-[ on this particular occasion I have to hold my hands up and apologise, I did not read the previous posts requesting the information that TT provided. So I am sorry for the offense caused by the comments in my post and to TT for any infurances implied in said post.
Accepted, thank you.
We each can have a hair trigger at times.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline jemangedeslolos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #393 on: August 16, 2020, 08:36:30 am »
Don't be too rough with Sighound36.
He tries to have fun with his new big toy.
But her body cannot handle so much noise and heat.

Personally, I prefer my toys to be quiet, even big ones otherwise It tends to drive me crazy  >:D

Offline Sighound36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #394 on: August 16, 2020, 09:01:14 am »
Don't be too rough with Sighound36.
He tries to have fun with his new big toy.
But her body cannot handle so much noise and heat.

Personally, I prefer my toys to be quiet, even big ones otherwise It tends to drive me crazy  >:D

I agree completely even my big 800 watt dc load is quieter  than the beast of Bogdanoff
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 11:26:14 am by Sighound36 »

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #395 on: August 16, 2020, 09:07:56 am »
Vlad,

I am not a Siglent fan because of a problem I had a while back with one of their scopes - it was brand new, didn't work properly, and they wouldn't fix it. I argued and argued with them and, eventually they gave me my money back.

The Rigol MSO5000 is not perfect but it does everything I need it to.

My workshop is now a Siglent-free zone.
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Offline jemangedeslolos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #396 on: August 16, 2020, 09:36:59 am »
Vlad,

I am not a Siglent fan because of a problem I had a while back with one of their scopes - it was brand new, didn't work properly, and they wouldn't fix it. I argued and argued with them and, eventually they gave me my money back.

The Rigol MSO5000 is not perfect but it does everything I need it to.

My workshop is now a Siglent-free zone.

I had the MSO5000 and found it to be a good device.
Getting all of that into one device at this price point is definitely a huge challenge.

If I had to choose today, I will surely go to the Siglent which is more polished...but it is something like +30% more expensive than the Rigol.
The Siglent has a bigger screen and a better front end but in terms of functionality, it's pretty much the same.
The Rigol deserves a little update to add some details that could make it unbeatable.

Gandalf_Sr is right, I too have dealt with Siglent on two or three occasions and it is true that we are very far from a premium service.
Everything has been sorted out but I have the feeling that Siglent is relatively tight on money, probably because the margins on their device are low and they have limited room for maneuver.

I have not yet had to deal with Rigol that said so it may be the same thing.

Offline Vladamir

• Contributor
« Reply #397 on: August 16, 2020, 11:50:32 am »
Thank you all for your contributions, both seem like great tools atm. On one hand Siglent seems quite appealing; on the other, you have Rigol's price combined with @Gandalf_Sr's very interesting LA probe design

Offline oelapaloma

« Reply #398 on: October 04, 2021, 04:49:03 pm »
@ve2mrx
Just something to watch out for: keyboard layouts! Keyboards send scan codes, not characters!

IMHO the scan codes only differ for PS/2 keyboards, not USB keyboards. Should be defined in the USB specification.

Offline ve2mrx

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #399 on: October 05, 2021, 03:59:59 am »
@ve2mrx
Just something to watch out for: keyboard layouts! Keyboards send scan codes, not characters!

IMHO the scan codes only differ for PS/2 keyboards, not USB keyboards. Should be defined in the USB specification.

I disagree, on my Raspberry Pi using a USB keyboard, I still need to set the correct keyboard layout. It is the same with other OSes like Windows. The keyboard is just that, a key board. What is sent are scan codes, which the OS has to map to characters and functions. This is the reason you can use any USB or PS/2 keyboard to write in any language, or whatever mapping you want to design like DVORAK.

Reference: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Keyboard_input

Martin

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf